Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Aug-31-15, 08:31
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default Off the IF bandwagon

I was having difficulty dragging myself through the morning walk.
Yesterday I ended a 4 day fasting cycle of 23 hrs fasting, 1 hr eating. I didn't lose any weight and I had little energy and my mental state was suffering.
I ate carbs.
This morning, I was able to trot for about 1/3 of the walk. Much better.
Still looking forward to cooler days.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Sep-24-15, 19:31
Doing My Best

I see that I've not posted here for nearly a month.

Don't despair! Nothing has changed. Same time, same place, same distance every day ~ NO CHEATING!

My weight is stable. Even if I fast my weight stays the same. Even if I do multiple days of fasting my weight stays the same.
  #48   ^
Old Fri, Oct-16-15, 09:18
Doing My Best

Nothing has changed. Same time, same place, same distance every day ~ NO CHEATING! 2 miles.

Now that the weather is getting cooler, I plan to add a second daily walk, shorter duration, but in the sunlight. Added to regular daytime chores, this usually gets me to my goal, which is 10,000 steps.
  #49   ^
Old Sun, Nov-15-15, 10:42
Doing My Best

Default My 20-minute miles ~60 minutes

November 12th I added one mile to my morning walk. Now that the cold weather is here, I can do that pre-dawn without getting too heated. This puts me at a 20-minute mile and the current course is not flat. This gets my heart rate to peak at the slight up hill parts.

3 miles
60 minutes
All good.
  #50   ^
Old Sun, Jan-31-16, 21:18
Doing My Best

Default Fitbit report

I received my annual Fitbit report today. I've cut back on my wearing of the tracking device, sometimes wearing it only during my morning walks.

#51   ^
Old Wed, Mar-02-16, 15:41
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 215/215/170 Male 5' 9"
BF:
Progress:

Nifty after Fifty? Who do they pay to come up with these jingles?

Regardless, good for you and your walking. My grandpa walked as long as he could, he made it to 94. Although there is no "direct" evidence, his doctor suspected his longevity was due to his walking. It wasn't his diet, he ate Campbell's Soup almost exclusively and smoked a pack a day.

So, keep it up.
  #52   ^
Old Wed, Mar-09-16, 08:50
Doing My Best

There isn't much to report, as I'm still walking every morning. Just that now I'm older, the walk is 2 miles. Some days I leave the Fitbit on all day just to see how many steps I get in while shopping or cleaning house, and I usually get in at least 7,0000.

I noticed my back getting a bit stiff, so I've added my yoga back into the day. When I say "yoga" I don't mean 30 minutes in a class. I just have a short regime to twist my spine in all directions. I end with a plank. Yuck! Not easy, them planks!
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 07:45
Doing My Best

The walk continues, along with the yoga stretching.

Today I added mini-trampoline. I was surprised that even with minimal bounce, my heart rate went up. Will need to take this slowly, adding minutes gradually or I'll hurt myself. Don't want that.

The bouncing is supposed to be good for all the interior organs and is supposed to cause the lymph system to pump instead of just sitting there.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 11:07

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Oh, I see you've found a mini-tramp. Is that at the gym, or did you round up one of your own? It really is surprisingly strenuous, even just a jog without lifting the feet. Good luck with that!
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Apr-16-16, 11:53
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Oh, I see you've found a mini-tramp. Is that at the gym, or did you round up one of your own? It really is surprisingly strenuous, even just a jog without lifting the feet. Good luck with that!
CL didn't have anything, so I just went with amazon prime. Got it yesterday. Yes, I'm quite happy with the results. I put my heart rate monitor on (fitbit) and the time I was on the tramp registered as "active minutes." Simply walking around in the grocery store or working in the house registers the steps taken, but doesn't show active minutes unless the heart rate goes up.

The websites which give RHR charts instruct us to lie flat for at least 15 minutes before measuring, but who does that? The only time I'm lying down that long, I'm sleeping. Anyway, I was pleased that my RHR while sitting quietly was rated excellent for my age and sex.
  #56   ^
Old Sat, Jun-04-16, 10:30
Doing My Best

Default Getter-Uppers

Found this wonderful thread this morning:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
So, I read somewhere that getting up out of your chair is a good indication of how long you're going to live. There's a test where standing up from a chair as many times as possible tests your longevity. Of course, it doesn't take into account bad knees and such.

I've been thinking about this because my sister, who is only 75, can barely get up off the toilet sometimes and I'm really concerned for her.

So I tested myself and I managed to get up 33 times in 60 seconds. Yay! It was a good workout for the quads, let me tell you! I think I'm going to continue doing this so I don't end up like my sis.

Tip: Use a dining room chair and try not to use your arms.

My results:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesinger
I stopped after 40 reps cause my heart was pounding and my quads were screeching! So less than an entire minute, but I figure it was close to 60 seconds.

BTW, the mini-trampoline very mild bouncing (most of the time without the feet leaving the surface) has greatly improved my arthritis and my circulation. I'm sold on this. Even though there's no way to tell if it is actually strengthening my immune system and my lymph drainage, it has already proven valuable for me. I no longer have to use my electronic foot massage machine at all and have no strange tinglies on the bottoms of my feet.

I'm adding Getter-Uppers to my daily regime. Gotta love that feeling of power!
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Nov-27-16, 17:56
Doing My Best

Default Still reading, just not posting

This gym log is now, I'm afraid, redundant. I wear my Fitbit for one hour every morning to track my walking exercise.

In the past 12 months, to this very morning, I've logged 798.34 miles.

Whether I'm here or not here on the forum, I will continue my WOE and my pre-dawn walks.

Good luck to all.
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-17, 06:46
Doing My Best

I forgot to post this to my gym log.
Decided to hire a trainer (for 10 sessions, still expensive). I want to add weight lifting to my exercise regime, but at my age I could easily injure myself. That is my reasoning.

The trainer wanted me to come 4x a week, but I opted for 3 which I think I'll narrow to 2. Today is my second session.

This is from Session #1, March 27, 2017:

My morning walk and yoga stretches were already complete.

I worked out in a fasting state.

Warm up-bike
Complete body workout. Simple. 3 sets of ten on the different areas.
Cool down-treadmill

The last station I couldn't complete the final set. My body was shaky. I haven't had that feeling in a long, long time. I almost barfed, as I was lying on my stomach doing hamstring lifts.

I drank lots of water before the workout, some water during and more after. After watering myself at home I had a large mug of salted bone broth, chased with two packages of toasted seaweed (love that stuff).

Think I'm going to be a bit sore tomorrow.
End session report.

I was sore the next day, especially my fingers. The other muscles I worked on are still somewhat sore. I think it's possible muscle recovery takes longer at my age. This is why I'm considering just 2 sessions per week.
  #59   ^
Old Thu, Mar-30-17, 15:58
Doing My Best

Today at the gym was extreme. Upper body only, and I wasn't really good enough. Very hard.

Tomorrow morning I'll be sore, but I go in again, this time to work my lower body.

I'm tired.
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Apr-01-17, 06:45
Doing My Best

Seems my workout schedule will be:
mon:full body
thurs: upper body
fri: lower body
Rinse and repeat.

I've only had 3 sessions and I already feel energized. Last night I didn't trudge up the stairs to bed, I trotted. I have some muscle soreness, but not a lot.

I lost another pound.

I don't get it, but I'll take it.