Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Jun-20-15, 09:26
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%

Weather.com tells me it will be 114 degrees at my house today. I did the walk this morning, too.

To appreciate this, you have to know that last summer my body refused to cool down. When I made my pre-dawn walks, I had to wear ice packs all over my body and I still got so hot my face was beet red and it took me more than an hour to cool down in the air-conditioned house afterward.

I'm going to lay the praise on my exercise regime and myself for sticking to it every single day since May 2014. Something changed in my body that has made it more able to cool itself. And for that I'm immensely grateful.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 09:22
Doing My Best

Default Cooling Towels THEY WORK!

Cooling towels come in many different brands and colors. Amazon is the easiest place to find them all in one place.

Last summer in my attempts to cool my body down, I spent literally hundreds of dollars on cooling vests, neck bands and various sizes of gel packs which I tried to keep cool. None of them worked as well as the cooling towels.

They're not expensive, but better still, THEY WORK!
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 09:29
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

You are amazing, Glenda (But I'm sure you already knew that) Now you've got me thinking about a gym membership.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-25-15, 09:37
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by khrussva
You are amazing, Glenda (But I'm sure you already knew that) Now you've got me thinking about a gym membership.

Thank you for dropping by and giving me such a nice compliment.

I don't use my gyms often enough, but I ALWAYS do the walk. I'm too lazy to let myself skip a day ~ that would be the beginning of a slippery slope.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jun-26-15, 07:24
Doing My Best

Default 114 Degrees?

This is one of the hottest Junes I remember in Las Vegas, but this morning was the first time this year it was 94 degrees at 4am. Now THAT is a warm pre-dawn!

I wouldn't be able to handle the heat without these Cool Towels. Wow! It makes such a huge difference. If you exercise, especially if you're "older" please invest in one. We are particularly vulnerable as we age to temperature change, and we don't want to stroke out. Look at how skinny we're getting.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 13:10
Doing My Best

There is no more walk-run-walk for me until late Fall. I'm doing good to make a good-paced 2 mile walk instead of my regular 3 miles. I'm not going to beat myself up about it, as I'm doing the best I can under the circumstances.

I'm driving out to help DD with farm animals, and it is considerably cooler there. So I will have a break from the Vegas heat and maybe get a few more steps in for the time I'm gone.

This morning I hydrated very heavily before the walk, including two glasses of electrolyte water. I took a bottle of that with me and drank all of it while walking. With the cool towel on my head, it was fairly painless today. I'm fortunate that I live in the farthest SW corner of Las Vegas so the desert path is available to me. The concrete and pavement refuse to let go of the past day's heat. Can you say "oven?"
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 16:58

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Hi, Glenda. I found you over here sorta by accident. I'm an exerciser too (as you know) but don 't regularly check out the exercise threads.

114 degrees. Wow. I wouldn't dream of leaving the house under those conditions. I'm glad to hear about the cooling towels though. I'll check 'em out.

I went for a medium walk yesterday to the Art Institute to view their annual Art of the Car Concours. It's an outdoor show of cool vintage cars--a scholarship fund raiser. It wasn't that hot (80s I guess) but it was surprisingly strenuous to make the round trip. I am trying to renew my walking commitment, but mostly early in the day.

Hope the trip to help your daughter goes well.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jun-29-15, 17:21
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkloots
Hi, Glenda. I found you over here sorta by accident. I'm an exerciser too (as you know) but don 't regularly check out the exercise threads.

114 degrees. Wow. I wouldn't dream of leaving the house under those conditions. I'm glad to hear about the cooling towels though. I'll check 'em out.

I went for a medium walk yesterday to the Art Institute to view their annual Art of the Car Concours. It's an outdoor show of cool vintage cars--a scholarship fund raiser. It wasn't that hot (80s I guess) but it was surprisingly strenuous to make the round trip. I am trying to renew my walking commitment, but mostly early in the day.

Hope the trip to help your daughter goes well.

I've tried 2 brands of cooling towels ~ they aren't all created equal. The most efficient is the Atomi Activcool Cooling Towel which I got at Sam's Club, but Amazon has them also. I just tried another brand called Cages Way 2 Cool which is made of a different material and will never keep me cool in the desert. However, it's lighter weight so could be carried in a plastic bag as a backup.

Yes, I'm going for two purposes. To help my daughter out so she can take a vacation and to celebrate with my classmates. We're celebrating our year of becoming 70. We're calling it a 70th Birthday Party. Most of them I haven't seen since 1963 and I'd like to say goodbye to the survivors. Chances of my seeing them again before we all croak is unlikely.

Yes, I stumbled across "gym log" and thought why not. Thanks so much for stopping by while I talk to myself. Really, I use it to keep myself motivated and on track.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jun-30-15, 10:44
Doing My Best

Much hotter at 4am today (over 90 degrees), along with low clouds and LOTS of wind. Rather like walking in a convection oven. Even though I was cool because I had the cooling towel on my head, I seemed to get weaker as I walked. I drank just as much of the electrolyte replacement. I didn't walk quite as far.

Tomorrow morning I'll add table salt to the drink.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 07:07
Doing My Best

This morning the wind woke me........gusts up to 38 mph............this made for a much easier walk.

My plan was to add salt to my morning electrolyte drink and not to walk very far. Maybe it was the salt or maybe the slightly cooler temp caused by the wind, but I did the whole 2 miles.

I'm feeling pretty good and the scale is inching downward.

Everything's good.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Jul-03-15, 06:32
Doing My Best

Default I forgot to wear my fitbit

This morning was cooler so I decided to walk 3 miles and was almost home before I realized I had forgotten to wear my tracker! I had my phone with me which has the app, but didn't have it turned on (because, duh, I didn't know I'd left the tracker at home.) Disappointed, as tracking my activity keeps me motivated through heat and cold.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Jul-07-15, 17:44
Doing My Best

Default Rain in the desert

Unusually, we had a flash flood warning yesterday and thunderstorms. That translated to 15-degrees lower morning temps today. It was a pleasure to walk pre-dawn. According to weather.com, we won't break 100 degrees until July 14th. What a treat.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Jul-08-15, 06:13
Doing My Best

Another cool morning in the 80s and even though I'm over 36 hours into this fast I wasn't weak. All good. I walked a little bit further to celebrate.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 09:56
Doing My Best

This morning when I did my pre-dawn walk, the temp was below 80 degrees. There was a slight breeze, and I celebrated by walking an extra mile. However, even though I ate beef liver yesterday, I'm still feeling weak. I'm getting some new vitamins today, so hopefully they will eventually help me with that issue.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jul-09-15, 15:33

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
even though I ate beef liver yesterday, I'm still feeling weak
Hi, Glenda. Do you have any sort of diagnosis about this, or are you just trying to figure it out yourself?

Liver. Hm. Somehow I never even think of it! Residual childhood memory, I'm sure. These days I could probably cook it with lotsa bacon and make it taste good. But back then? Ick.

I'm glad the weather is cooling off a little for you at least for a while. Enjoy those pre-dawn walks.