Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, May-13-15, 15:45
Doing My Best

Plan: LC/CancerRecovery
Stats: 170/135/130 Female 62 inches
BF:24%
Progress: 88%
Default 70 Walk-Run

I just discovered that "Gym Logs" exist. Who knew?

For the past year I've been walking every day, not just a little bit, but aiming for 10,000 steps per day. Granted, most days I just made 3 miles, but some days as much as 5 miles.

This year I've walked:
2,831,411 steps
1,144.18 miles

Last November I decided it was time to hit the gym. I chose a Medicare Advantage plan which gives me two free gym memberships. One is Nifty After Fifty, which is where I do my strength training. The other is right around the corner and lets me use the treadmill indoors.

This week I decided to start easing into Walk-Run. At 70, it will take me some time to stretch the intervals into running, but if you don't try, you never know what you can do. "Should" is for sissies.

I have to be patient.

Last edited by bluesinger : Sun, Jun-07-15 at 13:57.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, May-14-15, 06:54
Doing My Best

Default Change in walking

This morning I embarked on a change. I fast walked for fewer minutes and cut my distance to 2 miles.

Until I get my heart-rate wrist monitor, I'm going to continue doing this. I could tell that my heart rate was higher, with no spikes. Don't want to stroke out.

Later today, I'll go to the gym, do some yoga stretches and my circuit.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, May-26-15, 17:24
Doing My Best

Default Just because I haven't been here ~ doesn't mean I stopped walking.

Just because I haven't been here ~ doesn't mean I stopped walking.

When I first started the walk, run, walk, I didn't have my heart monitor and I also didn't realize I needed to take it slow. I've been doing short run spurts, building up to the actual recommended circuit.

Then I received my new monitor, which I love. It lets me know how many minutes out of my walk I spend in peak zone, fat burning zone and cardio zone. That's so helpful.

The new issue is rather embarrassing: My breasts need to be held down.
Yes, every silly joke you can think of is true. So this morning I went to the sporting goods store. Usually, I buy everything online, but this I had to actually try on. I made my purchase and tomorrow morning we'll see how it goes.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 11:39
Doing My Best

This morning I got serious with my new walk, run program. My fitness monitor told me that out of the 52 active minutes (2.86 miles) my heart spent 36 minutes in the peak (highest rate) zone, 12 minutes in the cardio zone and 25 minutes in the fat burning zone. I feel pretty good about that, but after the walk I felt weak. This was my third day in a row of 24-hr fasting (breakfast to breakfast) and I may have found my limit.

Peak zone

Peak zone, which means your heart rate is greater than 85% of maximum, is the high-intensity exercise zone. The peak zone is for short intense sessions that improve performance and speed.

Cardio zone

Cardio zone, which means your heart rate is 70 to 84% of maximum, is the medium-to-high intensity exercise zone. In this zone, you're pushing yourself but not straining. For most people, this is the exercise zone to target.

Fat Burn zone

Fat burn zone, which means your heart rate is 50 to 69% of maximum, is the low-to-medium intensity exercise zone and may be a good place to start for those new to exercise. It’s called the fat burn zone because a higher percentage of calories are burned from fat, but the total calorie burn rate is lower.

Last edited by bluesinger : Wed, May-27-15 at 11:40. Reason: took out links to pictures
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 12:09

Plan: HFLC
Stats: 197/168/157 Female 5 ft 1 inch
BF:
Progress: 73%

Years ago I starting logging both time and miles that I walked. I lived in a place where I could walk outside all year. I didn't measure steps but I had a 3 mile round trip and a 4 mile round trip mapped out. Then I decided that I would mark my distance on a map. So I walked from the Texas coast to Albuquerque, then to San Francisco and finally to Seattle. It added a little interest to the mix.

I am 73.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, May-27-15, 12:58
Doing My Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by omablue
Years ago I starting logging both time and miles that I walked. I lived in a place where I could walk outside all year. I didn't measure steps but I had a 3 mile round trip and a 4 mile round trip mapped out. Then I decided that I would mark my distance on a map. So I walked from the Texas coast to Albuquerque, then to San Francisco and finally to Seattle. It added a little interest to the mix.

I am 73.

Susan, that's just great. I found that by wearing my monitor, it keeps me motivated. I can see/tell when I'm making progress. Since I'm not losing weight, I need something to make me keep going.

You keep going too. Be an inspiration to us all.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-28-15, 06:18
Doing My Best

This morning I did a plain, short walk. I don't want to feel again the way I did yesterday ~ shaky and lost, sort of.

When I look at those heart rates from yesterday, I realize that even though I wasn't running, my heart stayed in peak too long. I need to back off and build up more gradually.

Today out of 37 active minutes, I was in fat burning zone 28 of those. I suppose that will do for now.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, May-30-15, 13:46
Doing My Best

Default Summer is here

My 3 mile predawn walk may be cut short this summer. Today:

57 active minutes with 49 of those minutes being in the cardio zone with 32 in the fat burn zone. Only 6 minutes in peak, but I want to keep away from the peak zone anyway.

I haven't been visiting either gym. That's okay.

I added "plank" to my home floor exercises.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jun-04-15, 07:12
Doing My Best

51 active minutes with 25 of those minutes being in the cardio zone with 67 in the fat burn zone, 11 minutes in peak.

FBG this morning 3:30=91

Sleep=6 hrs, only restless 2x
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-07-15, 13:55
Doing My Best

My plank exercise is going better. I was getting pain in my arm, so I decided to try with a pillow under my arms and I got much better results: 30 seconds!

FBG today 89.

Walk this morning:
51 active minutes with 52 minutes in the cardio zone with 47 in the fat burn zone, only 1 minute in peak. I know for certain that I was walking at a faster pace, so my heart must be getting stronger, thus keeping me out of peak zone. In other words, the heart rate which is "peak" is getting higher.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-10-15, 07:39
Doing My Best

My plank is getting stronger. From the side, I actually see the outline of my ribs. They've been gone so long that at first I thought I'd developed a diagonal roll of skin.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 19:01
Doing My Best

Walking continues. Planking, too. Just hard to tell how long I'm holding the plank so I had to figure out how to use my interval training timer. Now, it will ring every 30 seconds so that I can accurately judge my progress.

Planks are hard work for old arms .

Now that the desert heat is hitting pre-dawn, I will be cutting my walking time from an hour to 30 minutes. I'll have to make up the rest of the time on a treadmill inside at the gym. Hate going to the gym, but at least it's free.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jun-13-15, 16:38
Doing My Best

I broke my walk into two parts today. Strangely, it was cooler later. First walk between 3:30 and 4:10, second walk between 5:30 and 6:10. I got in my 10,000 steps.
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jun-14-15, 07:50
Doing My Best

I'm feeling a bit weak this morning, cutting the walk into two segments makes it cooler on my body ~ 4M for 45 minutes, then 6am for another 45 minutes. Almost 4 miles. Just walking, no walk-run-walk. My core temperature didn't get crazy.

I had water with added potassium and those other electrolytes, thinking that will bolster my strength.

Still no weight loss.
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Jun-15-15, 18:28
Doing My Best

Walk this morning, broken into 2 sessions:
81 active minutes with72 minutes in the cardio zone with 44 in the fat burn zone, only 7 minutes in peak.