Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 10:47

Plan: Very LC, Higher Protein
Stats: 227/186/185 Male 6' 0"
BF:
Progress: 98%

That picture is just a thing of beauty, so much nutrition on that plate!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-27-15, 10:54
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Is your inability to adhere to a diet because you're eating such a deprivational diet? If you adapt LC eating to a permanent way of eating (WOE) then perhaps you won't be so 1/0, on/off, black/white, dieting/not-dieting.

You could even make yourself some low carb cheesecake.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 04:31

Plan: mine
Stats: 222/185/143 Male 175
BF:
Progress:

i am still on my extreme diet plan because it works on my scale
but what i eat is keto(fat) .
this morning without eating anything got on the scale 77.6kg!
switching from chicken breast to full animal fat didn't change my weight loss speed.
I don't crave for sugar or cheesecake, but after 19.00 i crave for meat and fat because i still get very little calories for rapid weight loss .probably 400-500.
I am also getting multivitamin,vitamin d3, tonalin supplements.
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 07:26

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberfat
I don't crave for sugar or cheesecake, but after 19.00 i crave for meat and fat because i still get very little calories for rapid weight loss .probably 400-500.
O My!!
Only 400-500 calories! no wonder you "crave" food at night - it is HUNGER not cravings, so EAT for goodness sake!!
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 08:43

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

As a former anorexic/bulimic person, you are not eating enough calories. If you continue, when you do start eating enough, you will gain weight and it will be very hard to lose....just saying....be careful!
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-29-15, 13:09

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 182.6/174.4/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 25%

16 pounds in 20 days??!! That's amazing, but I don't think I could do 400 calories a day! I wish I could. I'm glad you're starting to eat other things, your weightloss may slow down a bit, but you are going g at warp speed!!! Congrats on your loss and continued success!!!!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 08:05

BF:
Progress:

yes it is not healthy , it is something ridicilous for long term but it is also something to test my fat! body for its limits. it would be much more reasonable to eat 3 times a day and not be hungry and lose the weight in long term.
I still have a wheel around my belly and tons of fat maybe 13kg more to get rid off.My body should eat them not my food:P

If my body responded in a bad way i would immediatly cut this diet but since my blood preasure and especially blood sugar dropped significantly i the scars on my elbows disepeared,dry skin on my hands gone! think it helped a bit
I am slowly raising the calories before the 1 month mark.
today made a soup with mushrooms ,lots of butter, cream and chicken thigh piece.ate only one cup but it was great.
I am good at cooking so it is fun to explore carb free foods.
when i am back on 1500-2000 calories lowcarb hope i won't gain the weight.

even with a little bit of calories the food is great, i just can't imagine how happy i ll be when i am eating fat 3 times a day
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 08:44

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

The problem is, muscle loss that you aren't saying you're measuring.

You say your body should eat the fat on your belly. But your body will also eat the muscle. It will eat both if you have such a huge calorie deficit.

Maybe a month of starvation level calories won't be that bad.

But, what if you end up with "metabolic damage". It will be harder to get a healthy metabolism again so you can burn fat on sustainable healthy calories.

You might want to google "metabolic damage" for another take on consequences.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 13:09

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seejay
The problem is, muscle loss that you aren't saying you're measuring.

You say your body should eat the fat on your belly. But your body will also eat the muscle. It will eat both if you have such a huge calorie deficit.

Maybe a month of starvation level calories won't be that bad.

But, what if you end up with "metabolic damage". It will be harder to get a healthy metabolism again so you can burn fat on sustainable healthy calories.

You might want to google "metabolic damage" for another take on consequences.

yes you are aboslutely right about the muscle loss, since day 1 i am lifting everyday (not so heavy or intense) 30 mins a day after the meal, but i wasn't lifting any before the diet.
i also got myself a how do you say in english horizontal bar? pull up bar?
which i hardly could stay still for seconds in first week, now i can almost do 1 pull.
So i am scared about muscle lost too, i am trying to keep them alive.
I think i do a good workout considering the calorie intake.

the funny part of me is, i am 1.75cm , 77.6kg sound not fat for a male , maybe just a little bit overweight. When my wife tells me to get bra or go swimming with my wheel around the belly i know i am fat.
when i am with clothes on no one considers me fat! when they are off i am full of fat. I don't have enough muscle to lose my metobolism would die before finding enough muscle to eat . 1 pull up is something i could never do before diet.

Last edited by uberfat : Thu, Apr-30-15 at 13:30.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 13:14

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I lost my first 31 pounds in my first 30 days. I don't think I ate over 600 cals any day, and probably less on some. And I wasn't 'trying' to do that... it was just that my diet was probably edging 84% fat or so. You aren't 'hungry' when you are in ketosis... deep ketosis.

OH.. and I haven't had a problem gaining back the last 13 or so years. YES.. I eat well over 1200 cals most days.. and since I 'stagger' my calories and carbs.. I'm very apt to lose more weight when I get with clients.. if I have weightloss ketogenics clients four or more days in a row that I'm doing macros, menus for and giving lessons in prep and 'quick cooking' oh my.. I will inevitably lose weight. I end up eating what I prep and have leftover after 'Keto Classes'... and that's the menu I have prepared for those losing 1/2 to 1 pound a day.

I'm 'consumed' by food and thoughts of food..but, um.. not as much for myself anymore.. lol... one of my clients said 'It's really fun to put the teacher/nutritionist on the diet TOO!!' :0 I still 'prove' it works.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Apr-30-15, 13:52

Plan: atkins
Stats: 150/150/120 Female 5 3"
BF:
Progress:

And I drink almost a gallon of water every day..and never tea.. I have thyroid disease.. so no green tea or black.. fluoride problems.

Hmmmmm....tea? What does tea do to your thyroid? Also, Memphis has floride in the water!!!! So I shouldn't drink it anymore??

Oh and I wish I could lose a 1/2 pound a day!!!! A pound would be awesome!!! lol

Thanks!!

Last edited by lkelley36 : Thu, Apr-30-15 at 13:54. Reason: more comments
  #27   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 11:49

Plan: Atkins 20
Stats: 182.6/174.4/150 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 25%

Neanderpam, can you give a sample menu of what you suggest to your clients to lose 1/2 pound or 1 a day?? Like, just a dag or two? Just curious because the last 13 pounds I have to lose is just hanging around not wanting to break up with me like a clingy boyfriend..... I just want them gone! I am ketogenic and 95% dairy free. Calories are somewhere between 600 - 1200 a day.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 12:47

Plan: Keto / Atkins VLC
Stats: 173/148.8/135 Female 5'6"
BF:23.9
Progress: 64%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deirdra
That's why most of us are here. Due to brainwashing, even on Atkins, I tried to minimize fat and calorie intake. After 35 years of failing on diets, even low-cal low-carb low-fat with various amounts of protein, I decided to do the only diet that I had never dared to try - very HF, very LC, moderate protein and higher calories than any diet I had ever followed. I chose the maintenance level of calories for a "normal" person at my goal weight. That amounted to ~1750 cals/day compared to my previous diets, most in the 800-1200 calorie range; the highest at 1450. I lost all my excess weight and maintain it on that same "normal" level of calories, something my past history of dieting made me think was impossible. After a few days I found that eating more fat and calories made willpower completely unnecessary, I wasn't hungry and my food seemed decadent - chicken thighs with skin, salad with full-fat dressing, deviled eggs with lots of mayo, heavy whipped cream in coffee, butter, etc.

Basically I followed and still follow ketogenic Atkins Induction, but with no grains, legumes or dairy proteins and virtually no processed foods, 70-75% fat, 20-25% protein, 5% carbs. I have protein at every meal (20-25g), none or a few carbs from vegetables, then add fat. I also use coconut oil or heavy whipped cream or butter in my coffee and tea.

I started by just adding fat to what you are eating. This actually boosted my weight loss and metabolism; severe calorie restriction was slowing my metabolism to conserve energy. It was scary to start adding fat, but, after 35 years of diet failures I decided to commit to it for a month and see what happened. I was shocked to find I had hit upon the only way of eating that I could adopt for life and lose weight with no hunger, no cravings, and no constantly thinking about food.

You mention your intense attraction to cheesecake. I had that too and it was just as bad with LC cheesecake, whey protein shakes, greek yogurt, cream cheese, sour cream, meaning that dairy proteins are the culprit, not just sugar. I could not get below 150 lbs until I eliminated all dairy except for ~2T butter and ~2T HWC per day, since they have only minute amounts of carbs and proteins - casein, whey and other "milk solids". My chronic sinus congestion also disappeared.

I've found that all the foods I had intense cravings for in the past contain something I am sensitive to. They are insulinogenic and dairy contains opioid peptides that many find addictive. When I avoid these things and eat yummy fatty ketogenic foods instead, the cravings completely disappear. It only takes ~3 days of "clean" eating.

Except for the 35 years of dieting (for me it's only about 15 at this point), I really could mostly have written what you wrote because it has all been my experience as well. I had a hard time giving up dairy, and I'm a cheesecake fiend like no one else I know, but I do believe now that dairy was slowing or stalling my losses. And I didn't really eat all that much of it! But I gave up even my Atkins cheesecake, I gave up cheese, and my only dairy is now maybe a couple of tablespoons of butter (used in cooking) each day, and 2 TB of whipped half and half in my daily cappuccino (my final indulgence…and when I did give this up for awhile, it didn't seem to make any difference). So I had to conclude that perhaps dairy played some sort of role in my inability to lose faster and to repeatedly get "stuck" at a weight level.

I'll add that I have definitely seen a correlation between good weight drops and carb levels that are 10 or under, and I seem to lose better when I'm under 1,000 calories a day…around 600 to 700. But in terms of calories, I don't keep them low every day, they vary from 600 to 1000 or sometimes 1100.

Uber….for fun get some keto stix from your pharmacy. They are interesting in that if you are really in ketosis and burning fat well, they will turn darker in most cases. I never used to use them because I couldn't get above a trace reading EVER, but this time around with my low carb levels, I've been consistently at the same dark level for the last 10 days or so. I thought I was a person who just couldn't get a reading and the ketostix were useless, but I'm rethinking that now as I eat lower carbs. Who knows how relevant this information is, but Dr. Atkins wrote that burning fat produces ketones which spill into the urine, hence the darker reading. Apparently the darkness of the reading is less relevant, but as I said, when I had higher carb levels (20 to 25g) I got trace readings or none, and now at sub 10g levels I get very dark readings consistently. I like it as a way to monitor how various things I eat may (or may not) affect the ketone levels. My scales are moving down, that's what counts in the end!
  #29   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 18:52

BF:
Progress:

great info here awesome stories.
you encouraged me to have a cheat day !
it is the first time i am really i mean really feeling full since 3 weeks.

what i ate today;
mushroom cream chicken soup with butter! one full cup.
10 pieces of chicken wings marinated with some spices and butter fried in airfryer.
and finally a desert! which was pretty bad though.
2 eggs mixed with 50ml cream and some splenda sweetener, cooked with some butter!

hope all be ok scale wise. at least no gain.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, May-01-15, 19:06

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
Except for the 35 years of dieting (for me it's only about 15 at this point), I really could mostly have written what you wrote because it has all been my experience as well. I had a hard time giving up dairy, and I'm a cheesecake fiend like no one else I know, but I do believe now that dairy was slowing or stalling my losses. And I didn't really eat all that much of it! But I gave up even my Atkins cheesecake, I gave up cheese, and my only dairy is now maybe a couple of tablespoons of butter (used in cooking) each day, and 2 TB of whipped half and half in my daily cappuccino (my final indulgence…and when I did give this up for awhile, it didn't seem to make any difference). So I had to conclude that perhaps dairy played some sort of role in my inability to lose faster and to repeatedly get "stuck" at a weight level.

I'll add that I have definitely seen a correlation between good weight drops and carb levels that are 10 or under, and I seem to lose better when I'm under 1,000 calories a day…around 600 to 700. But in terms of calories, I don't keep them low every day, they vary from 600 to 1000 or sometimes 1100.

Uber….for fun get some keto stix from your pharmacy. They are interesting in that if you are really in ketosis and burning fat well, they will turn darker in most cases. I never used to use them because I couldn't get above a trace reading EVER, but this time around with my low carb levels, I've been consistently at the same dark level for the last 10 days or so. I thought I was a person who just couldn't get a reading and the ketostix were useless, but I'm rethinking that now as I eat lower carbs. Who knows how relevant this information is, but Dr. Atkins wrote that burning fat produces ketones which spill into the urine, hence the darker reading. Apparently the darkness of the reading is less relevant, but as I said, when I had higher carb levels (20 to 25g) I got trace readings or none, and now at sub 10g levels I get very dark readings consistently. I like it as a way to monitor how various things I eat may (or may not) affect the ketone levels. My scales are moving down, that's what counts in the end!

i can't find any stix where i live. and as you do i am almost zero at carbs maybe today i got some more with cream and eggs.i had a bad metalic taste , and bad smell at toilet in first 2 weeks i think.. and i lose weight so i guess i burn something . i also increased my salt intake i don't know how it effects though.
good luck.