Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-15, 03:34

Plan: LC Primal
Stats: 290/270/160 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 15%

*sigh*

Western society and our moralizing over food is the absolute worst!

The whole thing about thinking about what you're going to eat at the next meal during one is something that I've even heard many thin people say they do, so I think it's more normal than we realize. Those types who don't care about food and always forget to eat are the unusual ones.

It makes sense too. We need food to live, and didn't always live in an environment of plenty, so you might have to start working on acquiring your next meal right away!

We judge ourselves so harshly for it though because we're overweight. That is the ultimate sin in our culture. Not even eating too much really, but rather the being fat part.

After all, doesn't everyone know that one person who can eat and eat and eat, and never gain a pound? Is that person considered a greedy pig by the world at large? No, they're an enviable oddity. What many people, thin or fat, would like to be able to do but know they can't!

Add to that the fact that sugar affects the brain in similar ways to cocaine...why do we torture ourselves with these awful labels?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-15, 09:36

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-piper
*sigh*

Western society and our moralizing over food is the absolute worst!

The whole thing about thinking about what you're going to eat at the next meal during one is something that I've even heard many thin people say they do, so I think it's more normal than we realize. Those types who don't care about food and always forget to eat are the unusual ones.

It makes sense too. We need food to live, and didn't always live in an environment of plenty, so you might have to start working on acquiring your next meal right away!

We judge ourselves so harshly for it though because we're overweight. That is the ultimate sin in our culture. Not even eating too much really, but rather the being fat part.

After all, doesn't everyone know that one person who can eat and eat and eat, and never gain a pound? Is that person considered a greedy pig by the world at large? No, they're an enviable oddity. What many people, thin or fat, would like to be able to do but know they can't!

Add to that the fact that sugar affects the brain in similar ways to cocaine...why do we torture ourselves with these awful labels?

Yes, I am going to agree with you. So many good points.

My mother was one of those people that could eat anything and never gain an ounce. At 65, it is catching up with her. She is still pretty thin (keeps saying she needs to lose 10 pounds), but her belly is getting big (for her size) and flabby. She has to wear size L shirt now when she used to be S/M.

As to the addictive power of sugar....yes, my parents were both inspired by my weight loss (84 pounds so far), but are having a hard time sticking to it. Recently, I went on vacation with my mother. She said she was going to watch what I ate and mimic that. Well, she didn't even last a day before she was eating multiple carby desserts. I am not saying this to judge her only to point out how powerful the sugar addiction can be.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Nov-02-15, 16:10

Plan: Custom 22/2 Clean Fast
Stats: 290/258/210 Male 72.5
BF:
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReneeH20
Yes, I am going to agree with you. So many good points.
Well, she didn't even last a day before she was eating multiple carby desserts. I am not saying this to judge her only to point out how powerful the sugar addiction can be.

This sounds like my inlaws, and my dad. My dad is addicted to sugar so bad. He is on dialysis 3 times a week, for 4 hours. He is also diabetic but does not listen to his doctors.

the carb addition is real, I know so many people that say they could not give up the things I have. In my mind to me, if you want o truly win you must sacrifice for life. I eat out often and always find super low carb meals. (chicken breast/W broccoli and water and a salad no dressing for me). They always say stuff like, I wish I could eat that healthy or do that
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Nov-03-15, 10:00

Plan: Dr. Westman
Stats: 280/170/170 Female 69.8 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nrracing
They always say stuff like, I wish I could eat that healthy or do that

Yep. I get that a lot, too. After people want to know how I lost weight, they say I could never give up bread or potatoes or cake or whatever.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-16, 14:10
Registered Member

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 160/154/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
It still makes me angry to think about all those decades of manipulation by a food industry that always knew darn well it was hooking us on carbs - and even angrier at the wrong advice from medical, nutritional, and governmental agencies who are paid to protect us and did nothing.

It breaks my heart to see fat, sick people where I work who think they are "greedy" or "weak-willed". They've either given up the fight and eat uncontrollably or they valiantly try, and fail, to white-knuckle their hunger for the rest of the day after a healthywholegrain morning bagel.

I get really angry and heartbroken about all of this, too. I've concluded that 90-95 percent of people are kind to each other, try to make things better for all of us as much as possible. Then there are 5-10% who are the truly greedy sociopaths who have taken over the world. They'll wreck the lives of millions for what? Another yacht? Another palatial home? The most expensive car? A sick need for power? And the rest of us are basically powerless to do anything about it, imho.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Apr-07-16, 14:37

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

PR, one of my favorite trainers, Jim Rohn, used to say that there are really only about 10 really nasty people in the world, but that they get around.

He'd say, in this great voice of his, "So, when you deal with one of them, say to yourself, "Hmmmm. I've met you before!"

It always cracked me up. And, you know, I do that. Instead of being angry, it makes you laugh!