Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-15, 05:05
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

Thursday's presentation I thought were all good. The key is to not take all as truth to your eating plan for many of us can't eat wheat (allergy) or alot of dairy (intolerant) and avoid soy so listen to only things that work with you. I do wish fasting was talked about more but I do appreciate the whole food mentality and I know how to dance around my dietician and doctor now.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Mar-27-15, 05:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Kassie, you now know way more about reversing diabetes than either of them...for your body, and that is all that counts. Franziska's approach is spot-on, some people can tolerate a little higher carbs, maybe later in their journey after insulin resistance heals. Why stick to 20g if you do not have higher BG by adding some whole food starch to your evening meal? But thank goodness now we can all have that information at our fingertips (Dr Bernsteins' history of the glucometer was interesting) If we do react to any grains, then you know they are out probably forever. Have to watch other health symptoms too, any grains and sugar cause joint aches and skin rashes for me.
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 10:13

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

In the spirit of keeping an open mind, I'm trying to listen to the Fuhrman interview this morning and I think my head may explode. I mean, this guy is all the way back to 'animal protein makes your kidneys explode' ideas. Did you know that animal products make your brain shrink? And did you know that eggs are deadly for diabetics? Deadly? My gosh, he's really got a bee in his bonnet about eggs.

I can't take any more right now, but I did note that so far, when he's mentioned the 'research' to back up his ideas he seems to rely on those large epidemiological studies that try to tease out specific items in a population's diet and correlate them with whatever disease they want.

Oh, and also, this guy has a very powerful personality that makes me think that disagreeing with him must be a lot like the people who tried to go up against Ancel Keys. He's right, he knows he's right, and anyone who disagrees with him is clueless. Wow.
  #49   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 10:34

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turtle2003
In the spirit of keeping an open mind, I'm trying to listen to the Fuhrman interview this morning and I think my head may explode. I mean, this guy is all the way back to 'animal protein makes your kidneys explode' ideas. Did you know that animal products make your brain shrink? And did you know that eggs are deadly for diabetics? Deadly? My gosh, he's really got a bee in his bonnet about eggs.

I haven't tried listening to Fuhrman. I did try to listen to the guy talking about toxins but had to turn him off when he said, just in passing, that fruits were something all diabetics should be eating. That was enough for me.
  #50   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 12:43

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

At least Fuhrman had something to say. I found Ocean Robbin's talk just so much blather.

I did find Fuhrman to be rude, kind of bullying to his host. Some of what he said, avoid processed carbohydrate (and processed food in general), beans being a better high carbohydrate choice, and nuts and seeds being a good way to lower the carbohydrate portion of the diet--if somebody is set on a vegan or near-vegan approach, this isn't bad advice.
  #51   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 14:32

I liked Sayer Ji and James Maskell. Maskell's talk is more for practitioners, but he mentioned the "Reversing Diabetes" facebook group as good "peer to peer support" as part of what people can do to improve their own health and change medical interactions. I mentioned that group to Kassie and she is a member, but anyone who likes FB should consider it. There are many other general LCHF groups and recipe groups on FB, but that one is very strict and focused. The Dr. Westman and Dr. Bernstein diets are preferred for members.
Sayer's talk was supposed to be more about T1 research, but he can rattle off wealth of studies and talked about natural tips for diabetes of both types. I've heard about interactions with Furhman where his evidence-based research was challenged and offered counter research, he was "not nice" at all about it
  #52   ^
Old Sat, Mar-28-15, 22:57

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Oh nooo I didn't realize/remember each talk was only free for 24 hours. I just settled in to a hotel room and was going to catch up. Oh well.
  #53   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 00:01

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

If you've been receiving the emails describing each days offerings, just click on the link provided. I've been able to access any talk any day after its debut via these email links.

I finally listened to Dr Bernstein today - so excellent! If I'm in a jovial mood tomorrow I may try listening to Fuhrman just to see what he is all about (though I know he'll probably ruin my mood).
  #54   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 01:52

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 164/162.6/151 Female 5'3"
BF:Sure is
Progress: 11%

Hm.

I'm listening to Deanna Minich...and she's talking about how we diabetics are coming from the Standard American Diet. Not so. I was cooking from scratch, buying in bulk, eating colorful vegetables (had been a vegetarian about 14 years, omnivore for 6, before diagnosis; so love my veggies) and eating the now dreaded whole grains. I started having green drinks in the 70's. It's not some new idea. She is pretty condescending. I wasn't about convenience, as she implies we diabetics are. I'm also irritated that she can't even pronounce "diabetes". It's not "diabeetus". Makes her sound like an ignoramus.

I don't have emails with links to videos other than these introductory ones. I checked spam and trash...nothing...
  #55   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 03:44

Oh dear, but as Liz said, they are still there! if you go directly to the talk itself. Janet put the links of day 1 in Post #27, and here is Dr Fung's: http://thediabetessummit.com/jason-fung-md/.
The address format is the same for every talk, first-last-title if any.
Deanna recently had her own gut health summit, a few of the experts were good, but she was irritating as an interviewer. Brian Mowll is much better in that role.

Today is Dr Perlmutter, in my book, he is the best communicator in the entire LC world. Tomorrow will be an Encore Day where you should get the links to all or the top talks...but you can indeed binge watch today by entering the direct web address.

I've been getting two emails a day, one with the Access page to days talks, and one trying to sell you the entire package...again have resisted But I am very grateful for Dr Mowll's work and the knowledge he and 40 experts share. Open access to research and expert information was part of Maskell's view on the future of health care.
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 05:35

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53

I finally listened to Dr Bernstein today - so excellent!

After I listened to Dr Bernstein I thought "why do I ever listen to anyone else?". Other people do have useful things to add but they only augment what I have learned from him, especially the law of small numbers. Jason Fung would now come in second with his understanding of intermittent fasting and insulin resistance. I am also looking forward to David Perlmutter today. I also, surprisingly, liked Marc David, especially his advice to frame adversity as an opportunity. I like Richard Feinstein too, although his talk was not that inspiring. I have his book "The World Turned Upside Down". He is a scientist and knows his stuff.

Jean
  #57   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 05:43

BF:

day 2
day 3
day 4
day 5
day 6

I got these from my browser history, they'll get you into all the talks so far, except day 1, which I missed.
  #58   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 05:50

BF:

And if you look at the format of talks you can get into

http://thediabetessummit.com/dr-josh-axe/

You can take the person's name and title, as given in the schedule page, and probably guess at the proper address for a talk you'd like to see. I've already done it for this one and for Cassie Bjork.

http://thediabetessummit.com/cassie-bjork-rd/
  #59   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 06:57

Jumped the gun, Tomorrow is the Last Day with Dr. Perlmutter.
Tuesday is Encore Day, where schedule says all talks will be available for 24 hours.
  #60   ^
Old Sun, Mar-29-15, 08:53

Plan: High protein, lower fat
Stats: 000/000/145 Female 66
BF:276, 255 hi wts
Progress: 0%

Does that mean that none of them will be available after tomorrow?

I've found it to be fairly tedious to listen to a long presentation for a few nuggets of usable info and have been forcing myself and procrastinating.