Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 05:08

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Somebody criticizes Dr. Eenfeldt for not crediting Martin Berkhan for inventing an eight-hour eating window... I don't think this is really fair (although Dr. Fung does mention LeanGains when he writes about an eight hour window). The guy who wrote the Fast five diet started eating that way in '97, wrote his book in 2005. Eating windows weren't new when LeanGains came out. If I wrote a book advocating a seven hour feeding window, would people be morally obligated to give me credit if anybody else ever advocated a seven hour window again? If Martin deserves credit here, it's for popularizing the eight hour eating window, but there's really wasn't much inventing going on.

At any rate, what he advocates is not LeanGains. He specifically says, no calorie-counting, counting calories is embedded in LeanGains. I believe there's also targeted nutrition after workouts, branched chain amino acids meant to decrease protein losses during fasting, etc.

Eatstopeat came out in 2007. Fast 24 hours. Stop eating at a certain time one day, start eating at that same time the next day. An example is eating normally Tuesday, but stopping after eating dinner by 6 pm. Then eat nothing the next day, and have dinner at 6 pm. This is exactly the 24 hour fasting program that Dr. Michael Eades wrote about here, in 2006.

https://proteinpower.com/drmike/200...-better-health/

I don't think I've ever seen Dr. Mike complain about this, or anybody complain for him. Truth is, once you have the concept of an eating window, the rest writes itself.
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 05:14

Plan: Atkins> LCHF >Carnivore
Stats: 200/183.5/150 Female 5'8" inches
BF:
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
As Dr Eenfeldt is working 100% now on both his free and member websites, he has finally added another tip to his How To Lose Weight series, and it is Intermittent Fasting:

http://www.dietdoctor.com/lose-weig...mittent-fasting

He has two free interviews with Dr Fung, but there is more on his member site. This month (maybe only two weeks remain?) he has Dr Fung's talk at the South Africa conference. Might be the month to try DietDoctor's free trial if want to hear that talk, plus his Q&A.

Yep! Already there. I did sign up as a member and I have not been disappointed. There is so much good information there, and it's available 24/7. There is even a portion where you can ask him a question and he will answer. He answered my question.

Also, I have to share today, I broke my "stall" if you will, from my screwy cycle last month. This week the scale dropped 3.5 lbs.! I knew it was probably coming, because I could see it in the mirror, if that makes sense. Things have been moving.

I definitely will use the IF more and will be watching Dr. Fung's presentations more. Yay!
  #78   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 06:24

Plan: Protein Power/IF
Stats: 230/190/189 Male 6
BF:13%
Progress: 98%

Having read that article on Diet Doctors site I did not see where the criticism mentioned that Berkhan invented 16/8, just that he popularized it and the Diet Doctor failed to mention that.

Addendum..having read it again, I can see where you may have read into it that the op inferred he invented it though that was never mentioned.

Last edited by catseyepub : Wed, Jul-01-15 at 06:31.
  #79   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 06:40

BF:

Quote:
why is it that capitalistic folks like to co-opt a eating plan like Leangains by Martin Berkhan and pretend that this 16/8 plan is their creation???

co-opt, pretend to create... to me this looks like it's implied that Berkhan invented 16/8. At the very least, left very open for somebody to infer that. I think the guy means to accuse Eenfeldt of plagiarism here.
  #80   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 07:19

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

No body can claim to invent "fasting"! Religious fasting guidelines have been around since the dawn of time, Health "spas" for many centuries, and bodybuilding regimens for almost as long. The one who ripped off Martin's 16:8 is David Zinczenko, whose book is titled "The Eight Hour Diet" published in 2012.

From one of the many one star reviews of that book:
"Having said all that, "The 8 Hour Diet" was [allegedly] stolen from leangains.com, Martin Berkhan's website. He has been writing about the 16/8 fasting diet for years, which in turn has turned the bodybuilding world upside down. He has changed countless amounts of blog and forum members lives with his methods. It's a shame "The 8 Hour Diet" makes no mention of him or his website."
  #81   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 08:42

Plan: Protein Power/IF
Stats: 230/190/189 Male 6
BF:13%
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
co-opt, pretend to create... to me this looks like it's implied that Berkhan invented 16/8. At the very least, left very open for somebody to infer that. I think the guy means to accuse Eenfeldt of plagiarism here.

I agree that he implied the Dr plagiarized Berkhans idea however the meaning of coopt is to "adopt (an idea or policy) for one's own use", which I agree that any mention of 16/8 has to in turn be credited to Berkhan.

It is what it is.
  #82   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 09:17

BF:

I know.... it took me a while to write that little bit, when I started you hadn't edited your post yet. Social anxiety makes for a lot of deleting and rewrites. I've taken half an hour to say "happy birthday" on facebook.
  #83   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 09:28

Plan: IF dairy-free keto ish
Stats: 175/175/170 Male 71
BF:
Progress: 0%

Berkhan is what got me started on IF, and I agree that he should be credited for popularizing 16:8 even though he didn't invent it.
But LeanGains is a whole system beyond just 16:8 IF --- it involves heavy weight training (RPT style), no cardio, calorie cycling, macro cycling, meal size relative to exercise, etc. Much more going on that just a shortened feeding window.
  #84   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 09:44

Plan: Keto IF
Stats: 275/242.8/192 Male 72
BF:
Progress: 39%

Short break from solving who invented fasting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnneChoco
Also, I have to share today, I broke my "stall" if you will, from my screwy cycle last month. This week the scale dropped 3.5 lbs.!

I definitely will use the IF more...

Glad you broke the stall, nice drop for the week. Had a nice drop myself after a little longer than normal IF period.

Using IF in combined with LC seems to be working for me. Not having all the testing tools, it seems to be sort of an experiment with no hard data on results, other than general observation. Going to try another 36-44 hr fast period today to see if that triggers another significant scale movement tomorrow.

Personally I feel the animal world discovered fasting quite some time ago.
  #85   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 12:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel381
Personally I feel the animal world discovered fasting quite some time ago.

It wouldn't be my Maine Coon Cat mix, Reverend Jim. He's VERY food oriented
  #86   ^
Old Wed, Jul-01-15, 13:38

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
It wouldn't be my Maine Coon Cat mix, Reverend Jim. He's VERY food oriented

Maine Coon's are cool cats. My senior mostly outdoor cat, seems to really thin down and hold off the food each spring lately, avid hunter when he desires?

On my current longer period IF, I need to remember not to bump up the carb level over 100g the day before the longer period starts. After a bike ride my desire to feed has really peaked, live and learn. Maybe exercise induced hunger?
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-15, 06:11

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Today the are some good Q&As about IF with Dr Fung, which up to now had only been in the membership site.http://www.dietdoctor.com/qa-what-k...ing-should-i-do
Maybe someone can accuse Dr Fung of stealing these fasting variations from Buddha though I would rather talk about Maine Coon cats and Exercise induced hunger. The days starting late May when I added an hour of intense cardio that was missing all winter, I have to do 16:8 with two substantial meals.
  #88   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-15, 06:19

BF:

Results on 2nd 42-48hr fast

Now 36hrs into the fast this morning feel great and had a strong feeling on the bike ride this morning. The hunger subsided last evening, with a lot of water loss around midnight. Scale drop of 3.8# this morning, last time 5 days ago it was 4.0# so very similar. Was having second thoughts yesterday afternoon due to the hunger feelings, but feel good about it now.

Will return now the short daily eating window as that seems to be working well.
  #89   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-15, 06:32

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Maybe someone can accuse Dr Fung of stealing these fasting variations from Buddha

I was going to suggest the same thing since Buddhist monks and nuns only eat between sunrise and noon. This rule has been in place for 1000's of years, at least in the Therevadan Buddhist community.

Jean
  #90   ^
Old Thu, Jul-02-15, 11:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotonpal
I was going to suggest the same thing since Buddhist monks and nuns only eat between sunrise and noon. This rule has been in place for 1000's of years, at least in the Therevadan Buddhist community.

Jean

Fascinating. This is basically what I do. It's actually a relief to skip dinner, and my husband appreciates the lack of dishes to wash