Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-14, 19:14

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

And here is another article to the contrary when it comes to consuming red meat.
http://chriskresser.com/does-red-me...cose-metabolism
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-14, 20:31

Plan: Very Low Carb
Stats: 211/212/210 Male 72
BF:
Progress: -100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meme#1
And here is another article to the contrary when it comes to consuming red meat.
http://chriskresser.com/does-red-me...cose-metabolism

Chris's argument seems to be that red meat will not lead to levels of iron which are unhealthy. But Chris also acknowledges that excess iron DOES contribute to glucose intolerance. And red meat is quite high in iron. I hope Chris is right, because I sure do love me some red-meat. But I find his argument that red meat does NOT contribute to high iron levels unconvincing.

But I really do hope he is right.

And he just might be...at least within the context of an LC diet.

I'll tell why in a separate post.

Last edited by coachjeff : Mon, Dec-15-14 at 20:52.
  #48   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-14, 20:36

BF:

The late Dr Wolfgang Lutz, author of one of my favorite all-time low carb books, Life Without Bread, said that the "iron problem" (i.e. high blood levels of iron causing glucose intolerance or insulin insensitivity) does NOT occur on an LC diet. He stated that "excess" iron was ONLY unhealthy in presence of high insulin levels, and did NOT cause problems within context of the sort of low insulin levels one would have on an LC diet.

I'll see if I can dig that up online. And I hope I'm quoting his thoughts on this matter correctly. I'm 99% certain that I am.
  #49   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-14, 20:42

BF:

Ok...in this long article by Lutz, ( http://www.scdiet.org/7archives/lutz/lutz7.html ) he discusses how an LC diet normalizes iron levels. Raising iron in people who suffer from low iron. Lowering iron levels in those who have too much of it.

Quoting....

"Too Much Iron in the Blood (Hyper-siderosis):

The same diet also has a beneficial effect on abnormally high iron levels (*62). Fig. 18 includes 38 cases in which an elevated iron level responded to restriction of carbohydrate intake. Cases of siderosis (too much iron in the blood) are even more common than sideropenia (too little iron) and are important since they may lead to deposition of iron in the tissue and thus to severe metabolic disturbances (haemochromatosis).

The Bantus use only iron vessels for cooking and their diet therefore contains adequate quantities of iron. Anyone, like the Bantus, eating food from iron pots, accompanied by large amounts of carbohydrate, may suffer from siderosis.

The Bantus could probably change this, either by giving up their iron pots or their carbohydrates.

Joking apart, the fact that one and the same measure, in this case a low-carbohydrate diet, can restore abnormal to normal from both directions strongly suggests a common causal effect. It appears that carbohydrates are cause of both disorders and, in a manner as yet unknown to us, rob us of our ability to keep our iron balance in order. As will be seen the same holds for calcium."

So if Lutz is right, iron may be a non-factor WITHIN CONTEXT OF LC DIET.

Last edited by coachjeff : Mon, Dec-15-14 at 20:54.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-14, 21:07

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachjeff

- Excess iron (Causes insulin resistance! Donate blood!)

Quote:

The late Dr Wolfgang Lutz, author of one of my favorite all-time low carb books, Life Without Bread, said that the "iron problem" (i.e. high blood levels of iron causing glucose intolerance or insulin insensitivity) does NOT occur on an LC diet. He stated that "excess" iron was ONLY unhealthy in presence of high insulin levels, and did NOT cause problems within context of the sort of low insulin levels one would have on an LC diet.

I'll see if I can dig that up online. And I hope I'm quoting his thoughts on this matter correctly. I'm 99% certain that I am.

Hmmm, I'm hearing a little contradiction here. Not picking on you Jeff, but the topic does not seem quite settled.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Dec-15-14, 21:50

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
Hmmm, I'm hearing a little contradiction here. Not picking on you Jeff, but the topic does not seem quite settled.

Well exactly. That's because I had totally forgot until this evening that I'd read that Lutz's thoughts on this issue a long time ago. I have no idea if he was right, but I think perhaps he was. And that yep..."excess iron" MAY actually not be "excess" at all within context of LC diet.

But I still feel excess iron is a problem within context of higher carb diets. Irregardless of what Chris Kresser says.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-14, 12:09

Quote:
Well exactly. That's because I had totally forgot until this evening that I'd read that Lutz's thoughts on this issue a long time ago. I have no idea if he was right, but I think perhaps he was. And that yep..."excess iron" MAY actually not be "excess" at all within context of LC diet.

But I still feel excess iron is a problem within context of higher carb diets. Irregardless of what Chris Kresser says.

So here's a question that surfaced for me today.....

Could flat glucose and insulin levels trigger IR? Dr Fung says that diabetes is a disease of high insulin, not high blood sugar and talks about restoring insulin delivery to its pormal pulsile rhythm in the case of those with high glucose/high insulin. Maybe it is not the level of glucose, but the flatness of the curve that causes insulin resistance.

Has anyone come across that thought before? Does Jaminet address it?
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-14, 15:04

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i wonder what dr. bernstein has to say on the subject of low carb raising blood sugar over time. he's the doc who treats diabetics with lowcarb diet. it's been a long time since i read any of his work.

re iron--dr. eades also recommends bloodletting/donating blood to get rid of excess iron.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-14, 17:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
i wonder what dr. bernstein has to say on the subject of low carb raising blood sugar over time. he's the doc who treats diabetics with lowcarb diet. it's been a long time since i read any of his work.

re iron--dr. eades also recommends bloodletting/donating blood to get rid of excess iron.

I don't remember Bernstein mentioning PIR. He's prob been low carb longer than anyone else we "know". I may pose the question to Dr Fung via his blog.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-14, 20:47

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I don't remember Bernstein mentioning PIR. He's prob been low carb longer than anyone else we "know". I may pose the question to Dr Fung via his blog.

Both Bernstein and Fung deal with diabetics, whose reactions to long term low carb diets may differ from non-diabetic dieters. I guess it is possible that a diabetic might stay very low carb and never see PIR. I would sure love to hear Bernstein and Fung's opinions on this topic.

My guess would be that Bernstein is more likely to have encountered PIR since he has been treating people for many years. It sounds as though Fung only changed his treatment methods very recently, since in his videos he's mentioned using the old, standardized methods for some 20 years.
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Dec-16-14, 22:07

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

For type II's, I don't think the physiological insulin resistance from low carb comes anywhere near the pathological insulin resistance which they experience. Also, if there is some sort of longer term adaptation/atrophy of carbohydrate metabolism, the tendency of type II's to make glucose whether they need it or not might actually be protective.

With type I's--the sort of "glucose resistance" that happens during extended fasting, where the insulin response to glucose is greatly reduced, isn't really a factor--because the person administering the dose decides how much insulin goes into the system, not the beta cell.

It's been observed here that zero carbers tend to fall prey to this more often than others... I'm not sure that's true, but I'd throw out that the people most likely to go so far as zero carb might be the people who needed it the most. People in the extremest need turning to the extremist form of the diet, perhaps due to some pre-existing problem of metabolism--the failure of low carb in a situation like that might be only a failure to keep the disease process from continuing, and carbohydrate tolerance worsening.

There's a similar problem looking at side effects of the ketogenic diet for kids with epilepsy. By definition, these kids have dysfunctional metabolisms, it's hard to be certain what's caused by diet, what by the underlying metabolism.
  #57   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 03:50

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Going back to the topic of feeding the gut microbiome, and needing more soluable fiber than a VLC diet provides in order to improve blood glucose regulation, Franziska has a new post on the topic.

http://www.lowcarbdietitian.com/blo...loss-and-beyond

Quote:
Over the past few months, several women have contacted me expressing frustration at being unable to lose weight despite strictly following a LCHF diet. When I ask whether they're including high-fiber plants like brussels sprouts, berries, nuts, and dark chocolate, the response is typically, "I avoid those because they're so high in carbs. I limit my carbs to less than 20 grams total." This is the trend I've noticed lately in the low-carb community: the belief that limiting vegetables and other high-fiber plants in an attempt to keep carbohydrate intake at an absolute minimum (sometimes as low as 10 grams of total carbohydrates per day) long term is the key to losing weight.

Soluble Fiber's Role in Improving Blood Glucose Regulation

A few weeks ago, Martina from the KetoDiet App website wrote an excellent blog post about counting net carbs vs. total carbs for those following a carbohydrate-restricted lifestyle. In the article, she correctly states that insoluble fiber passes through your system without being absorbed, so it should be subtracted from the total carbohydrate count. In addition, Martina explains that, unlike insoluble fiber, soluble fiber does not pass through the colon but rather is fermented into short-chain fatty acids (SCFAs) by our gut bacteria.

The principal SCFAs are acetate, butyrate, and propionate. Of these, propionate is the only one that can be converted into glucose via gluconeogenesis (1). But would this have any significant effect on postmeal blood glucose given that most fiber is insoluble and only 15-40% of any soluble fiber will be converted to propionate (2)? Take brussels sprouts, for instance, one of the few foods that contains more soluble than insoluble fiber. A 1-cup serving has about 4 grams of soluble fiber. Less than 2 grams will be converted into propionate, and the amount of glucose produced from it via hepatic gluconeogenesis would be quite small, so serum blood glucose levels wouldn't be affected much.

More importantly, as Martina pointed out, De Vadder, et al, recently reported the results of a study on mice suggesting that SCFAs promote intestinal gluconeogenesis (IGN), with propionate acting as substrate and butyrate promoting the expression of genes necessary to induce this process. Compared with control mice fed their normal diet, mice who were fed diets enriched with SCFAs and fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS) experienced lower fasting serum blood glucose levels, improved glucose tolerance, and a significant reduction in the enzyme responsible for hepatic gluconeogenesis (3). Essentially, propionate is converted to glucose and used within the intestine, decreasing the amount of glucose produced by the liver, resulting in the above-mentioned benefits. Yes, this was an animal study, but it provides an intriguing explanation for the improvement in blood glucose levels seen in human studies examining the role of dietary fiber (4, 5).

Blood glucose response to fiber-rich food may differ among some people with Type 1 diabetes, whose blood glucose levels can reportedly rise as a result of higher food volume in the stomach or other stimuli, regardless of digestible carbohydrate intake. Dr. Bernstein and others with T1 have suggested such a response (what he calls The Chinese restaurant effect), but I know of no studies confirming this and would appreciate references if anyone has them.

Health Benefits of Fiber and SCFAs

We've known about the benefits of fiber on colon health for decades. Although it's believed these are due in part to insoluble fiber's ability to reduce intestinal transit time so potentially carcinogenic substances in our food spend as little time as possible in our GI tract, more recent research suggests that fiber's chemoprotective effects may be due primarily to the effects of one of the SCFAs, butyrate (6,7), which provides energy and nourishment for the cells of the colon.

In addition, higher fiber intakes may reduce levels of C-reactive protein (CRP) and other inflammatory markers, improve our immune response, and protect the gut from harmful microorganisms that can make us ill (8). In essence, fiber's fermentation to SCFAs helps keep our gut well nourished and working the way it should.

Increasing High-Fiber Carbohydrate Intake May Be Helpful for Weight Loss

Let's go back to restricting intake to less than 20 grams of total carbohydrates in order to lose weight. When carbohydrate intake is this low, there's a limited number of foods that can be eaten: meat, cheese, fish, eggs, butter, cream, coconut oil, olive oil, and small amounts of greens and other very-low-carb vegetables. Yes, carbohydrate intake may be well below 20 grams of total carbs daily, but depending on portions consumed, calorie/energy intake may be too high to promote weight loss. A serving of bullet-proof coffee contains 440 calories, zero carbs, zero protein, and zero fiber.

Aside from fiber's beneficial effects on overall health outlined above, consuming at least a moderate amount of fiber can facilitate weight loss, and both insoluble and soluble fiber can be helpful in this regard.

Insoluble fiber passes through the body without being absorbed. It adds volume to meals, but zero calories and zero carbohydrates. In fact, you could almost say that insoluble fiber provides negative calories, in that it may lower the amount of energy derived from fat and protein when all three are consumed at a meal (9). Most foods are higher in insoluble than soluble fiber, with a few exceptions (Please refer to Martina's fiber chart in the blog post linked to above).

Soluble fiber does contribute calories/energy to the body, but no carbohydrates. The chief benefits provided by soluble fiber are due to its fermentation to the SCFAs acetate, butyrate, and propionate, which have been shown to promote satiety, reduce intake, and and decrease body fat (3,10-11).

Carbohydrate and Fiber: What's Optimal?

Like carbohydrates, fiber is another substance where across-the-board recommendations can't be made, but I think it's best to aim for at least 20 grams daily, with 1/3 or more from soluble fiber. If you're limiting yourself to less than 20 grams of total carbohydrate, the maximum amount of fiber you can possibly get is 18 grams, and that's only if the carbs come from foods that are more than 90% fiber, such as chia seeds, flaxseed, or avocado. Generally speaking, those who consume diets containing less than 20 grams of total carbohydrate end up with 10 or fewer grams of fiber. Some people reportedly consume less than 5 grams on a consistent basis.

The goal of carbohydrate restriction is to keep blood glucose and insulin levels low, and this can be accomplished without reducing carbs to near-zero levels. I consume around 30-45 grams of fiber daily, and my net carb intake is around 35-50 grams, so my fiber to nonfiber carb ratio is roughly 1:1. This works well for me, but some people do better with 20-30 grams of fiber and slightly lower net carb intake. People with certain GI disorders* may require restriction of certain types and amount of fiber.

Last edited by JEY100 : Wed, Dec-17-14 at 04:01.
  #58   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 06:53

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Yes, this was an animal study, but it provides an intriguing explanation for the improvement in blood glucose levels seen in human studies examining the role of dietary fiber

My main problem here wouldn't be that it's a mouse study, but that it's not a low carb or ketogenic diet study. An intervention that lowers blood glucose on a high carb diet could increase it on a lower carb approach.

I do think the baby sort of gets thrown out with the bathwater with the whole net/gross carb debate. Industrial food ruined net carbs for a lot of people... should the fiber in a brussel sprout be thrown under the bus just because Julian Bakery, Dreamfield Pasta and the Atkins chocolate bar company made false claims? That might be the real value of counting gross instead of net carbs--it protects from miscounting carbs when questionable claims are made by food companies.
  #59   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 07:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

That point about protecting LCers from processed foods was made in the comments. So if instead, you start from a "Paleo" perspective, don't eat processed foods nor artificial sweeteners, then fiber and counting real food net carbs is fine. And the defenders of Atkins 72 won't Agree, but that is how I read the NANY rules. Most of the "net carbs" foods had to be veggie, NANY allowed but did not give much room for processed LC crap.
  #60   ^
Old Wed, Dec-17-14, 08:07

Plan: Protein Power/Atkins
Stats: 250/167/175 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 111%

In an experiment of one--following Jimmy Moore's example--I tested my blood sugars every half hour before and after low carb ketogenic meals. As a long time low carber, the switch to ketogenic wasn't really that hard. Although both my brothers were Type II diabetic's, I have had normal blood sugars for years on a low carb diet. My BS did not change when I tried ketogenic.

Ketogenic is so low on fiber, supplements are necessary Making sure my daily multivitamin does not contain iron, helps to keep iron levels stable. But if iron does increase, there is always the annual blood donor drive.

There are die-hards who look for all kinds of negatives about low carb simply because they refuse to admit, even to themselves, that they might be wrong. Of course, I might be wrong too, but I have a lot of hard research findings to back up my low-carb lifestyle.