Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 08:14

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Wall Street Journal:

http://online.wsj.com/articles/rese...ugar-1410973201

Quote:
Research Shows Zero-Calorie Sweeteners Can Raise Blood Sugar
They Can Alter the Population of Gut Bacteria and Trigger Unwanted Changes

By GAUTAM NAIK

The artificial sweeteners in diet soda, yogurt and other foods consumed by millions can raise the blood sugar level instead of reducing it, according to new experiments in mice and people.

The provocative finding—made possible through a new avenue of research—is likely to stoke the simmering controversy over whether artificial sweeteners help or hinder people's ability to lose weight and lower their risk of diabetes.

The research shows that zero-calorie sweeteners such as saccharin, sucralose and aspartame can alter the population of bacteria in the gut and trigger unwanted changes such as higher blood glucose levels—a risk factor for diabetes.

"The scope of our discovery is cause for a public reassessment of the massive and unsupervised use of artificial sweeteners," said Eran Elinav, a physician and immunologist at Israel's Weizmann Institute of Science and lead author of the study, which appeared Wednesday in the journal Nature.

Though many people consume artificial sweeteners instead of sugar to control their weight, the scientific evidence that they work is mixed. Some studies have indicated that the sweeteners can help lead to weight loss, while others suggest they contribute to weight gain.

One reason is that it isn't clear whether people who consume artificial sweeteners are overweight because of what they eat—or whether overweight people are the ones who typically gravitate to such products.

Based on existing evidence, guidelines jointly published in 2012 by the American Heart Association and the American Diabetes Association noted that artificial sweeteners "when used judiciously…could facilitate reductions in added sugar," and thus influence weight loss.

The new Nature study marks a significant advance because it brings together two separate areas of research—the role of sweeteners in raising blood sugar levels, and the complex workings of the vast colonies of bacteria that inhabit the gut. Individuals can have differing bacterial colonies in their gut, meaning people respond differently to what they consume.

In one experiment, the researchers found that mice whose diets included saccharin, sucralose or aspartame had significantly higher blood-glucose levels than mice whose diet included sugar, or no sugar at all.

They next wanted to test whether the fake sweeteners caused that metabolic change by altering the balance of microbes in the animals' gut.

They transplanted bacteria from artificial-sweetener-fed mice or sugar-fed mice into other mice that were bred to have no gut bacteria of their own and that had never consumed a sweetener product. They found that the bacterial transfer from the sweetener-fed mice raised the blood sugar levels in the transplant recipients—suggesting that the gut microbes had triggered the higher sugar levels in mice fed fake sweeteners.

Was the same link true for people? Dr. Elinav and his colleagues examined the relationship between long-term consumption of artificial sweeteners and various metabolic measurements in some 380 nondiabetic people.

They found that the bacteria in the gut of those who regularly ate fake sweeteners were notably different from those who didn't. In addition, there was a correlation between the sweetener consumption and a susceptibility to glucose intolerance, which is a disturbance in the blood glucose level.

Correlation, however, doesn't necessarily mean causation. In the next experiment, seven volunteers who normally didn't consume fake sugar were asked to consume products high in the sweeteners. After four days, four of them had significantly higher blood-sugar levels as well as altered populations of bacteria in their gut—an outcome similar to what was seen in mice.

"This susceptibility to sweeteners [can now] be predicted ahead of time by profiling the microbes in the people," said Eran Segal, a co-author of the study and computational biologist at the Weizmann Institute.

The results need to be corroborated through a study with many more participants.

In a statement, the Calorie Control Council, a trade group that represents makers of artificial sweeteners and other food products, said the Nature study suffered from several limitations. It said the results from the mouse experiments may not apply to humans, while the human experiments had a small sample size. It said further research was needed.

Researchers aren't sure about the exact mechanisms causing the imbalance in the gut bacteria populations. But they found that several types of bacteria that changed after the consumption of artificial sweeteners previously had been associated with Type 2 diabetes in humans.

The results appears to demonstrate that for some people, artificial sweeteners can alter the composition of gut bacteria in such a way that it may contribute to—rather than reduce—certain metabolic conditions related to obesity, such as glucose intolerance.

"We've been wondering why people who consume [artificial] sweeteners don't always lose weight," said Judy Wylie-Rosett, a nutrition expert at Albert Einstein College of Medicine in New York, who wasn't involved in the Nature research. "This is a very intriguing study because it's the first one that looks at gut microbes."

Artificial sweeteners have been around for more than a century. But no one thought to embark on this type of study before because scientists' understanding of how gut microbes respond to different foods and the metabolic changes they induce is still in its infancy.

Some 100 trillion microbes live in the human body. Together, they have at least 100 times as many genes as we do. Unlike the genes we are born with, those microbes can be easily manipulated via drugs or changes in diet. This knowledge has sparked a big push to understand the role of microbes in regulating human health.

The authors of the Nature study are now recruiting hundreds of volunteers for a much more ambitious study that will try to establish a link between gut bacteria, their responses to hundreds of common food products and the physical changes they induce in connection with obesity, diabetes and other diseases.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 13:46

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

I am more interested in Micros and Glycogen.
So for a micros life changing diet, one can lose 10+lbs weight in a couple days(also gain 10+lbs weight in a couple days.)
Example, a person in Vegan Carb diet is switched to a Top Sirloin Steak ONLY diet plus coffee+sweetener+butter.
I would say 5 days 10+ lbs.
Unfortunately, those lbs are glycogen+water and Micros.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 14:50

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

My humble opinion? This is way too much media attention paid to a very small study.

The most intriguing aspect for me is the research now just beginning (or at least picking up speed) in the study of gut bacteria, the microbiome. I've read that this area of investigation has opened up thanks to technologies pioneered in genetic research.

About time! I mean, microbes were the earliest biological inhabitants of the planet. For all we know, everything that lives (and a few substances we don't consider living) exists to host the future of the microbe population. I'll try to be nice to my four pounds of the wee beasties.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 15:00

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Personally, I've cut my AS consumption, never high to begin with, down to the occasional use in a cocktail beverage or tall glass of limeade in the summer.

I discovered that since healing my gut with gluten-free, I have terrible cramps with even small amounts of the usual suspects, and a bit of Truvia seems to avoid that. (Half a packet per beverage.)

Fiber disturbs my digestion now... I must use smaller portions of high fiber vegetables. So I can say my gut biome must have changed, and fiber just doesn't agree with me. That could be the problems with some forms of AS.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 15:26
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Mountain meet molehill.

Your gut biome changes with every meal. Changing from high carb to low carb will affect a tremendous change in your biome. All those various bugs in the gut have specific things they eat and if you stop eating those things then they starve to death.

Taking NSAIDs changes your gut. Probably a TON of stuff does that hasn't ever been studied. So I can't quite see how they can take one thing and be all shocked and amazed it changed the gut biome.

Shoot, don't coconut oil, oregano and honey have anti-bacterial qualities? What do they do to the gut biome which is... bacteria and other stuff?
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Sep-18-14, 22:27

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Shoot, don't coconut oil, oregano and honey have anti-bacterial qualities? What do they do to the gut biome which is... bacteria and other stuff?

Coconut oil: Yup — it's half lauric acid. The body converts it to monolaurin, which has anti-bacterial, anti-viral, and anti-fungal properties. There's even a commercial preparation of monolaurin: Lauricidin. It's one of the tools in a naturopath's arsenal to combat SIBO, among other ills. I don't know how the body deploys the monolaurin to target only foreign microbes, though.

Oregano: Only oil of oregano is a broad-spectrum anti-microbial. It's one of the tools in a naturopath's arsenal to combat SIBO, among other ills. It's as potent as pharmaceutical antibiotics.

Honey: It's the bits of the Manuka plant in Manuka honey that have anti-bacterial properties. I'm unsure if other honeys have anti-bacterial agents.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 14:28

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

This was a study on mice and used commercially available sweeteners that have as the first ingredient dextrose which is, you guessed it, sugar. They used both sweet and low and aspartame, both of which I do not advocate but notice they have lumped two totally different artificial sweeteners together in the same study and with added ingredients. Wasn't the study hypothesis to test changes in gut microbiota as a result of sweeteners? I don't follow the statement that the changes in microbiota were the same as well documented in obesity. Am I missing that report?

In almost all the research reported by the American Diabetes Association there is no rise in blood glucose following artificial sweeteners. The research I have read generally talks about one sweetener at a time as they are all remarkably different. In the case of Stevia there is both a positive blood glucose and blood pressure response. I’ve even done anecdotal research by testing my blood glucose levels following eating ‘artificial’ sweeteners being careful to distinguish between Stevia, sucralose, and Erithrytol; only eating pure forms, and not eating genetically modified forms. Add to this that all artificial sweeteners work completely differently from one another and that they have additives like dextrose that may alter the results. And this was a mice study.

However, microbe health is very topical right now and to be on the safe side I do take a probiotic, without starches added, daily.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 14:55

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

They did include a small study--was it eight people?--where artificial sweetener is supposed to have worsened glucose tolerance, and caused a shift in the gut biome. A gut bacteria transplant into some germ free mice was done, and the mice that got bacteria from people whose glucose tolerance worsened also experienced a worsening. But, there's no way to tell from the articles written about the study, or the abstract of the study, the real world significance here. Did glucose go up enough to matter? Who knows? To find statistical significance in such a small group, I guess glucose tolerance must have gotten a fair bit worse, but that's just me guessing.

http://www.nature.com/nature/journa...m_medium=tumblr

That's the study. Can anybody with access let us know what's going on?

Driving myself a little nuts staring at the teeny little graphs in the "figures at a glance."

edited to add--seven people, four "responded," three didn't.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 16:36

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

Most of the article is on the mice they fed saccharin, splenda & aspartame to and found that saccharin had the biggest effect. Then they asked 40 long-term high-AS users and 236 non-AS consumers (all non-diabetic) to fill out food frequency questionnaires and found a positive correlation between AS consumption and metabolic-syndrome-related clinical parameters such as higher weight and waist-to-hip ratio; higher fasting blood glucose; higher glycosylated haemoglobin (HbA1C%), indicative of glucose concentration over the previous 3 months. The way I read this is that fat people are more likely to consume artificial sweeteners than healthy thin people, and I would guess that ASs in the diet are not the only difference between what they ate.

To do an initial assessment of whether human AS consumption causes blood glucose tolerance problems, they followed SEVEN healthy volunteers (5 males and 2 females, aged 28–36) who do not normally consume artificially sweetened foods for only 1 week, during which they were fed the FDA's maximum safe saccharin level (5 mg per kg body weight). They claim "most" individuals (4 out of 7) developed significantly poorer glycemic response. The other three had no change in glucose tolerance. The way I read this is that there may be a ~50/50 chance that maximum levels of saccharin would affect a healthy person's glucose tolerance. How many people consume saccharin any more? I don't think I've had any since the 1970s, and I found it bitter, so never consumed anywhere near 5 mg per kg. Studies on <30 subjects are not statistically significant and there is no mention of what else the 7 people ate or whether they even ate the same foods with their saccharin doses. Since the article only mentions the saccharin doses they gave the 7 people they "followed", I suspect they merely added the saccharin doses to what these individually normally ate, and their glucose responses may have been related to the other stuff they ate.

It appears that the gut biota were only studied in the mice, not the humans. As Nancy said, anything you consume can affect the gut biome, so it is not surprising that maximum levels of saccharin would too.

Last edited by deirdra : Fri, Sep-19-14 at 16:57.
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 18:00

BF:

Quote:
The way I read this is that fat people are more likely to consume artificial sweeteners than healthy thin people, and I would guess that ASs in the diet are not the only difference between what they ate.

Yeah. Here's the thing. Suppose high dose artificial sweeteners, higher than most people would ever use, does cause diabetes at that dose. They claim to have found "evidence" of this in the decreased glucose tolerance in four out of seven subjects. They pair this with epidemiology, and with rodent studies, where they're allowed to go further--allowed to try to make the animals as sick as possible. The biggest problem is the epidemiology, in my book. They've put the evidence together in such a way to suggest that what happens to the people and the mice in the intervention studies is what happened to the free-living humans in the observational study.

Not only is it possible that fat people are more likely to consume artificial sweeteners. It's also possible that the causation is reversed--the person being driven to consume sweet things, whether sugar or sugar substitute. Before his nutritional ketosis days, when he had his menu blog, I used to see Jimmy Moore posting pictures of Atkins-type candy bars to which he'd added whipped cream with sweetener added to it, and DaVinci syrup poured over it. I suspect a healthy metabolism should find this sickly-sweet, rather than appealing. Cause of weight gain, or symptom?

http://www.nature.com/hr/journal/v3...lication_detail

Quote:
What is the role of leptin receptors in sweet preference? Sweeteners activate transduction cascades in sweet responsive cells through both cAMP and inositol triphosphate in taste bud cells. It was reported that leptin increased the K+ conductance of taste cells, leading to hyperpolarization and reduction of cell excitability, and leptin suppressed the behaviourial response to sweet substances.

There's a study where mice given high-dose leptin centrally lost their appetite, until their body fat was pretty much depleted--at which point they ate as many calories as control mice, but given the choice, preferred a higher protein vs. a higher carb diet. Another example of an effect of leptin on interest in/appetite for carbohydrate.

Of course, the actual intake of the carbs would facilitate weight gain. And, preference for sweet? Some people think palatability causes weight gain. I think a strong case could be made for the process of weight gain causing palatability.

It took the equivalent of forty cans of diet coke to do that to these people?

How many cans of full-sugar coke would it take to do the same damage? Thirty nine grams in a can of coke, forty cans of coke, that's 1560 grams of sugar, 6240 calories. Half the dose? 780 grams of sugar, 3120 calories. I wonder what would happen to people's glucose tolerance with that added to their diet? Even if it didn't have as strong a short-term effect as the saccharin etc., I have a pretty strong suspicion it might be worse long term.
I wonder at what level of artificial sweetener intake a person would have been better off using sugar? Is there one?
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 19:58

Plan: Carb reduction in general
Stats: 230/185/180 Female 5 ft 9 in
BF:
Progress: 90%

I don't know how bad artificial sweeteners might be for me, but I do know sugar has a pretty bad effect on me. So when I want a sweet taste I personally choose the maybe might could end up found to be a problem for me someday rather than the definitely is.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Sep-19-14, 21:55

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliean
In the case of Stevia there is both a positive blood glucose and blood pressure response.

I'd like to see that paper; stevia has a reputation for not doing that.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-14, 04:36

BF:

Quote:
Lack of effect of sucralose on glucose homeostasis in subjects with type 2 diabetes.
Grotz VL1, Henry RR, McGill JB, Prince MJ, Shamoon H, Trout JR, Pi-Sunyer FX.
Author information
Abstract
OBJECTIVE:
To investigate the effect of 3-months' daily administration of high doses of sucralose, a non-nutritive sweetener, on glycemic control in subjects with type 2 diabetes.
DESIGN:
A multicenter, double-blind, placebo-controlled, randomized study, consisting of a 6-week screening phase, a 13-week test phase, and a 4-week follow-up phase.
SUBJECTS/SETTING:
Subjects with type 2 diabetes (age range 31 to 70 years) entered the test phase of this study; 128 subjects completed the study. The subjects were recruited from 5 medical centers across the United States and were, on average, obese.
INTERVENTION:
Subjects were randomly assigned to receive either placebo (cellulose) capsules (n=69) or 667 mg encapsulated sucralose (n=67) daily for the 13-week test phase. All subjects blindly received placebo capsules during the last 4 weeks of the screening phase and for the entire 4-week follow-up phase.
MAIN OUTCOME MEASURES:
Glycated hemoglobin (HbA1c), fasting plasma glucose, and fasting serum C-peptide were measured approximately every 2 weeks to evaluate blood glucose homeostasis. Data were analyzed by analysis of variance using repeated measures.
RESULTS:
There were no significant differences between the sucralose and placebo groups in HbA1c, fasting plasma glucose, or fasting serum C-peptide changes from baseline. There were no clinically meaningful differences between the groups in any safety measure.
CONCLUSIONS:
This study demonstrated that, similar to cellulose, sucralose consumption for 3 months at doses of 7.5 mg/kg/day, which is approximately three times the estimated maximum intake, had no effect on glucose homeostasis in individuals with type 2 diabetes. Additionally, this study showed that sucralose was as well-tolerated by the study subjects as was the placebo.

Just an abstract. For people with type II diabetes or insulin resistance, the question of which is worse, so much sugar, or sweeteners to match the sweetness of that much sugar is probably easier to answer--it's the sugar that's worse.

Sucralose is supposed to be 300-1000 times as sweet as table sugar--in this study, that works out to the sweetness of 213-667 grams of sugar.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-14, 06:53
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

And yet, the studies I've noticed with xylitol -- although people do have to adapt to it gradually (or risk the runs), and take it fairly consistently (the gut biome changes fast, so adaptation has to be kept up) -- make it out to be incredibly health-promoting. Not just for teeth. Maybe that adaptation part makes it slightly inconvenient but geez, I'm still surprised that the stuff isn't way more popular than it is.

PJ
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-20-14, 18:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightnow
And yet, the studies I've noticed with xylitol -- although people do have to adapt to it gradually (or risk the runs), and take it fairly consistently (the gut biome changes fast, so adaptation has to be kept up) -- make it out to be incredibly health-promoting. Not just for teeth. Maybe that adaptation part makes it slightly inconvenient but geez, I'm still surprised that the stuff isn't way more popular than it is.
Well for those of use who have dogs one of the reasons is how DEADLY xylitol is for dogs, unlike other sweeteners. It's the main reason Dana Carpender refuses to use it in her recipes. She (like me) is a dog owner. I've already had to pay for one trip to the emergency vet for a stomach pump when my dog managed to eat something I'd accidentally bought that contained xylitol. The dose to kill a dog is not that high.