Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Nov-25-14, 21:52

Plan: Keto
Stats: 190/155/145 Female 5ft 3.5 in
BF:
Progress: 78%

Yes I have, my own. I used to be a diehard vegan. Unfortunately it doesn't fill me up for very long and I gain weight on it because I have to eat about every 45 minutes. My oldest daughter was also a vegetarian but no more. We both doubt we will ever go back. I enjoy the skin on Chicken way too much.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Nov-26-14, 06:30

Plan: Atkins '72
Stats: 365/301/140 Female 5"9'
BF:
Progress: 28%

My own, just like other posters here. Gaining a massive amount of weight, feeling exhausted yet never getting a sufficient nights sleep, and a really crappy complexion finally taught me that a vegan diet maybe wasn't the best choice for my health after all. There's a lot of information online that tells you how healthy you'll become after adopting a vegan lifestyle. Not in my experience, and I will not ever go back.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Nov-28-14, 16:14

Plan: none
Stats: 230/135/130 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 95%

FWIW, the Atkins site acknowledges and supports a vegan version of Atkins called Eco-Atkins, though not for induction. See: http://www.atkins.com/Science/Artic...80%9D-Diet.aspx
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Dec-02-14, 05:04

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Robb Wolf has a challenge this month, this photo was in yesterday's email. As the previous posters have written, the only mind I changed was my own. Vegetarian diets can work for some people, probably best with supplementation, but it is not my job to change anyone's mind unless they ask.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Dec-02-14 at 05:11.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 18:54

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by millieska
FWIW, the Atkins site acknowledges and supports a vegan version of Atkins called Eco-Atkins, though not for induction. See: http://www.atkins.com/Science/Artic...80%9D-Diet.aspx

Vegetable oil as a staple? Dr. Atkins may be rolling in his grave over some of the stuff that gets his name attached to it.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Dec-03-14, 20:11

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have a friend who I've been friends for years with and she eats almost no meat and she is chronically anemic but she just won't listen.
For years she has eaten cake and sweets for breakfast.
We would go out to lunch and she would say I just want some pie or cake...
She is a runner and does marathons but I just know she is so unhealthy. She even collapsed once and still won't listen.
She is like a skinny fat. It's hard to explain.
Also after one of her races, she goes and buys some special chocolate milk and downs it because that's what runners do, she says.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-14, 02:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMCM
Vegetarianism is like a religion. No way to change it, and I don't even try.

QFT, and vegans are the evangelical wing.
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-14, 10:24

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

I hate people trying to change my mind about how to eat and am ashamed that I was a bit of an evangelist myself when weight just started falling off me with low carb - I wanted to help everybody see the light. Duh. Now I wouldn't dream of imposing my thoughts about food on others (except here). Even when people ask me, I just keep my responses to a bare minimum. I've learned the hard way that most people want to get into an argument about it. Only a couple of weeks ago a guy in our break room asked me about my w.o.e. and kept pushing for my opinion on specific foods. It ended up with him being quite nasty over the subject of rice! Apparently, judging from his tone of voice, I'm some kind idiot zealot for not eating it. I don't see the difference between me being allowed to believe what I believe and a vegan or vegetarian being allowed to believe what they believe. It's a personal choice.

Actually, after 4 years on low carb I now PREFER that most people don't eat my way. It keeps me as the slim, energetic one in most groups
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-14, 10:41

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 232.8/210/185 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 48%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
I wanted to help everybody see the light.

OMG...just realized that I am mildly like this. And I probably am a little obnoxious and slightly holier-than-thou. I am making a rule for myself starting right this minute.
DO NOT MENTION MY WOE UNLESS ASKED...AT ALL...EVER!
(except here, of course)
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-14, 12:23

Plan: Animal-based/IF
Stats: 252/215.6/130 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 30%

I have never attempted to change anyone's mind about their eating. Why? Do I look like a poster child for this WOE? Who would listen to me?

Once I reach my ideal weight and someone asks, I'll answer honestly.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-14, 14:01

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Actually, after 4 years on low carb I now PREFER that most people don't eat my way. It keeps me as the slim, energetic one in most groups

Not to mention the price of cauliflower seems to skyrocket every time LC gets popular.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Dec-05-14, 14:41

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
I hate people trying to change my mind about how to eat and am ashamed that I was a bit of an evangelist myself when weight just started falling off me with low carb - I wanted to help everybody see the light. Duh. Now I wouldn't dream of imposing my thoughts about food on others (except here). Even when people ask me, I just keep my responses to a bare minimum. I've learned the hard way that most people want to get into an argument about it. Only a couple of weeks ago a guy in our break room asked me about my w.o.e. and kept pushing for my opinion on specific foods. It ended up with him being quite nasty over the subject of rice! Apparently, judging from his tone of voice, I'm some kind idiot zealot for not eating it. I don't see the difference between me being allowed to believe what I believe and a vegan or vegetarian being allowed to believe what they believe. It's a personal choice.

About changing their minds, My friend had a light bulb moment or should I say I did when she began asking me what do I eat and what to eliminate to do low carb.
She said she couldn't believe what a change I have made and kept looking at me saying things like you really have lost weight. You've lost a lot in your face too. My reply is that it's a work in progress....
All I have really told her she should do is eat more meat, because she is chronically anemic.
Of course I do tell her bread and sweets are so bad too. I reminded her of how many times she has ordered sweets when we go out for lunch. That's what friends are for.
We've been friends for 40 years so I can say those things to her.
  #28   ^
Old Sat, Dec-06-14, 10:50

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I wanted to help everybody see the light.

I felt that way about my fellow obese uncontrolled diabetics. Good thing I'm shy - it was hard to "preach." Now I just tell them I'm praying for them - which I am. They all know I do lchf - they've asked - but not for details. Apparently they think it takes a great deal of self-discipline. Not something I've ever been known for.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Dec-12-14, 09:57

Plan: Rosedale
Stats: 129/125/122 Female 5.5
BF:
Progress:

I may mention the way I eat and current research and maybe the Butter cover of Times, that kind of thing. You never know when the seed will take and grow.

But then, I just smile and ask them to pass the bacon on down to me That's the best advertisement there is!
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-15, 09:18

Plan: Atkins vegetarian
Stats: 139/136/121 Female 169 cm
BF:
Progress:

For me, a vegan lifestyle only worked for a short period of time, when I switched from being a pescatarian and cut out fish, eggs and dairy for about two months. I had lost weight and was feeling great, but then it all came back. I then went low carb and it had worked wonders until I gave into carbs again and became a die-hard vegan for ethical reasons. Then followed two years of feeling weird: on the one side I was very proud of myself because I didn't eat animals any more and on the other hand I struggled with the weight, I was always hungry, and tired almost all the time. I think many vegans and vegetarians would say that I didn't eat right or that I didn't eat enough, but when I started to eat almost exclusively fruit and vegetables, I looked liked a blown out balloon and had to take a lot of naps. I really think that everyone is different and that you have to listen to your body, and you definitely shouldn't try to be preachy about your way of eating (I was so preachy when I first did lchf, or when I went vegan....) I think the best way to be at peace is to accept that your lifestyle cannot be the best compared to anybody else's: your work can be the best work, for example, because it is judged by your boss's or your professor's standards, but definitely not your lifestyle. It can only be judged by your personal standards, and we are all different.