Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Apr-01-14, 08:08

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Well, I'm jumping in to Wahls Paleo Plus (the ketogenic version) starting today.

If anyone else tries it, leave me a message & we can buddy up!
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Apr-02-14, 08:10

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

There's a ketogenic version?

I tried adding more vegetables according to her guidelines for a week and I gained 3.4 lbs. I eliminated all other sources of carbs, dairy, nuts, wine, and I ate less meat because the veggies filled me up. I think I'm just too sensitive to carbs to eat beets, carrots, and squash. I didn't even eat fruit. I really thought it would work out because I was consuming fewer calories overall, reducing protein, and eliminating wine. I didn't really expect to lose but I thought I'd at least break even.

I suppose I should read the book to really understand her plan.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 02:03

BF:

She calls her ketogenic level "Wahls paleo plus" and it's higher veggies than any ketogenic low carb plan I've ever seen, but considerably lower than her other plans (with restrictions on starchier veg like winter squash, beets and carrots). 5 T miminum coconut oil, reduced protein and pragmatic in that she says that some people will need to increase the fats and further decrease the carbs to get into ketosis.

It's a good plan. Quite a lot of rules and I haven't hit 100% on the diet rules yet and I've been trying for about a week! but I did finally slip into ketosis.

I really enjoyed eating extra vegetables from following AIP for a month, but I didn't like the significant slow down in weight loss that I think was from higher carbs. Wahls ketogenic plan I think will address that, if I can hit the eating targets and make it work for me. I do know that so many veg make me feel great.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 04:35

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Parismama,

I am doing Paleo Plus too! And flourish on my beloved array of veggies! And seaweeeeeeed! As a person living by the sea all my life, I love it! As well as other sea treasures..

Dont you love seaweed?
...Then you just cant' cook it)
Boiled and then stewed with garlic, coriander, red pepper and onion it tastes wonderful. Even my new friends who never ate seeweed before, enjoy and ask for second serving Fits very good to beef
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Apr-03-14, 05:13

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
I really enjoyed eating extra vegetables from following AIP for a month, but I didn't like the significant slow down in weight loss that I think was from higher carbs. Wahls ketogenic plan I think will address that, if I can hit the eating targets and make it work for me. I do know that so many veg make me feel great.

I'm so happy you are feeling better. Sounds like you are making it work for you.

As smart as Dr. Wahls is, and as well as it undeniably worked for her, it might be different for us if we have different metabolisms. Did she ever have a weight problem, before or during her illness?

Because if ketosis is the key, the lock might be different sizes...
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-14, 13:41

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Only 2 weeks in, and people start commenting on what youthful, shiny skin I've got! Betacarotenes do their job

Didnt weigh me yet, but can feel by the clothes, that am getting slimmer as well
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Apr-04-14, 15:55

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

That's great Eos! I'm happy for you.
  #53   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-14, 01:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear

As smart as Dr. Wahls is, and as well as it undeniably worked for her, it might be different for us if we have different metabolisms. Did she ever have a weight problem, before or during her illness?

Because if ketosis is the key, the lock might be different sizes...

From pics I've seen she's never been obese but always been one of those sturdily-built people. She's also been extremely athletic her whole life (ski marathon while pregnant kind of stuff).

But she's not at all saying one size fits all for her diet - I mean just the diet as outlined in her book has three levels, and she says at several points that doing some instead of all is better than doing none of the restrictions and foods she outlines, which is pretty realistic.

And in the ketogenic diet she clearly outlines how mild ketosis is he goal, and that some people will need to dial back the protein and veg and increase fat to get there.

If a new-to-low-carb person were to try the WPP (ketosis) level and not get to ketosis I don't know that there is enough info to really guide them to make the changes they would need, but a long-ish low carber like myself is pretty confident I can navigate that part - but so far I'm pleased to be showing one + on keto strips and hitting most of the diet rules after almost a week.
  #54   ^
Old Sat, Apr-05-14, 06:28

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
But she's not at all saying one size fits all for her diet - I mean just the diet as outlined in her book has three levels, and she says at several points that doing some instead of all is better than doing none of the restrictions and foods she outlines, which is pretty realistic.

Certainly sounds so. And no one can argue with her results

Quote:
And in the ketogenic diet she clearly outlines how mild ketosis is the goal, and that some people will need to dial back the protein and veg and increase fat to get there.

Which confirmed my comment about ketosis coming in different sizes. I'm constantly amazed that, for myself, I was stalled with IF and VLC, while moving to a big breakfast, a few more compatible carbs, and light, snacky, dinners I lost four pounds in three weeks.

Breaking a two year stall and improving my health.
  #55   ^
Old Sat, Apr-19-14, 09:56

Plan: Currently, WahlsPaleo+
Stats: 233/153/153 Female 6'
BF:
Progress:

I'm on day 8 of the WahlsPaleo+ (new member here!) and I'll be posting more blog updates as my experiment unfolds. I'm very excited about the potential of this eating pattern! Here's my first update http://petra8paleo.wordpress.com/20...hls-paleo-plus/ in case it is of interest...
  #56   ^
Old Sun, Apr-20-14, 04:10

BF:

Hi Petra8 - I look forward to seeing your updates. I'm now on Day 20 of WPP

I'm happy with it overall, although I had hoped for faster weight loss and that doesn't seem to be happening. But I feel good and energetic and for now at least will try to be patient.
  #57   ^
Old Mon, Apr-21-14, 04:29

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Lovely blog Petra! Welcome.

With the book just out, she has been everywhere many podcasts, paleoFx, Sean Croxton did a really good interview with her recently, talking about some of the issues above. She has a media list on her website, but it is not fully up to date. http://terrywahls.com/news/media-appearances/

Not that I read very word of her book, but the message I've heard was "weight loss may be a side-effect" if you need to lose weight, but weight loss is not a goal of any level of her diet. ParisMama, if you feel more energetic than on LC without vegetables, maybe that is a good goal. Do you have any AI symptoms that have to be improved?

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Apr-21-14 at 07:30.
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 07:15

BF:

I'd say that weight loss is a goal for her patients who are overweight on WPP (the ketogenic version) from my reading of it - she's quite precise about needing to adjust the protein, coconut oil and veg servings to be in ketosis.

I have two indications (of her 7) for WPP - being overweight, and a history of cancer. I don't have any AI symptoms, but they run rampant in my family.

And yes, I felt a huge burst of energy about 3 weeks into AIP which I'm pretty sure was due to the higher vegetable nutrition and some gut healing (and I would have told you my guy was fine pre-AIP, by the way).

It's hard for me to judge the weight loss effects of Wahls right now - I've been losing weight in this pattern of 3 weeks flat, one week release for several months now (this *should* be a release week according to that pattern). I was hoping WPP would be a magic solution, but not so. It's no big deal, I'm not in a race to lose. Plus I'm doing some fine-tuning this week (gory details in my journal if anyone is contemplating following Wahls Paleo Plus) - basically back to bulletproof coffee to increase IF time and possibly shave off some calories.

And I have that new Ketonix gadget that is helping me see which of my foods/meals might knock me out of ketosis - so plenty of things to keep playing with, and I'm planning on staying the course for the forseeable future (mid-May trip might need to be an exception to the full WPP rules, however)
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Apr-22-14, 07:28

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Thanks for your update. I am catching up on Sean Croxton interviews (he seems to have returned to more health issues than whatever he was doing last year) and just listened to Sarah Ballantyne on her AIP protocol. Began with why her nutrient-poor low carb diet didn't heal her health issues. The discussion repeatedly returned to the gut. Many different questions, but the gut was center to it all.
  #60   ^
Old Thu, May-08-14, 14:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I just started reading it last night. I'm skimming most of the info because I already know a lot of it, I want to get into the details.

One thing I'm curious about is how to get off NSAID's. I know they're awful for me, but I get a lot of pain from my back problems (and hips) if I don't take them at bed time.

Anyone know what she might recommend? Stay on them until the pain recedes? Or do you have to bite the bullet?