Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Products
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-14, 17:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 229/219/180 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress:
Default Atkins Frozen Dinners

Tell me in honesty, how do you feel about them in taste? I'm planning on trying them, thanks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-14, 17:11

Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

I'm interested in this as well, although I probably won't use them except in a dire emergency. I've never been a fan of frozen dinners.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-14, 18:14

Stats: 207/164/145 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 69%

I hadn't heard about the frozen meals until I saw your post so I just had a look on the website.

I think I would probably avoid them. Other atkins products, such as the snack bars, cause problems for some people and I found myself raising an eyebrow a few times while reading the frozen dinner ingredients list, e.g. the Chicken Marsala contains yeast extract and potato flour. Some people might be ok consuming small amounts, but it could result in weight loss stalls for others.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-14, 18:36

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 352/332/240 Male 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 18%

I have tried several of them and I think they taste pretty good. The only one I didn't like was the orange chicken - too orangey for me. The others I've tried I've liked. And like it's already been said, most people here will say stay away from them because of other things in them - just find out how they affect you and go from there.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Mar-15-14, 19:10
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've also tried several and they generally taste good. I like some better than others, but I think that's more a matter of personal taste. I especially like the breakfast meals such as the farmhouse scramble.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Mar-16-14, 09:07
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I have an issue with all the extra ingredients they add to them. For example in the Bacon and Egg Scramble, they add Sugar, Soy, Corn Starch & Modified Food Starch and it's 5 carbs or 5 net carbs (bacon and eggs do not have carbs).

Shrimp Scampi: Penne Pasta made from flour, modified wheat starch, wheat gluten, potato flour, modified food starch. Carbs 12 or 7 net carbs.

(I don't calculate net carbs since I follow A'72) but I think it's scary to have those other ingredients in there that for me would probably cause me to crave those toxic carbs and I want to eat something better (clean food) with my 5 or 12 carbs.

“Success is not Final. Failure is not Fatal.
It’s the Courage to Continue that Counts.” Winston Churchill
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 07:06

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

outside of Amy's during college, i have never been into frozen meals.
But when sick i tried the pot pie and the chicken/broccoli alfredo. liked both- would buy them again if not up to making something with fewer additives. So would not make a staple, but i think they are a great "plan B."
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Mar-17-14, 10:06

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

The ones I tried were good (meatloaf, crustless chicken pot pie). By far the lowest carbs in available frozen meals. I have two in my freezer for when I don't feel like cooking.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-14, 14:45

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 110/107/105 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 60%

I'd rather just microwave frozen veggies and a piece of meat if i'm in a hurry. Same effort, less/no additives, way cheaper, and I can specify exactly what I want.

Last edited by JustAGirl : Sat, Mar-22-14 at 15:12.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-22-14, 16:02

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I've never bought an Atkins frozen meal, and probably never will, but for those with a busy lifestyle or a family that won't eat low carb, or those who have never been taught to cook and those who can tolerate a little starch and/or sugar, I think they are a great idea. There are many ways to eat low carb and using Atkins products, while not my approach, is one way to do it.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-14, 18:29
Registered Member

Stats: 254.8/250.6/167 Female 55
BF:
Progress: 5%

The taste wasn't bad, but I was very disappointed with the excess amount of sodium.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 10:24

Plan: Atkins/LC
Stats: 276.4/266.6/200 Female 5'8
BF:I've got some!!!
Progress: 13%

I'd be worried about the excess amount of sodium and stalling out. I can't even have SF Jello...so not sure I'd want to roll with that!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Apr-15-14, 10:58

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I've tried the chili and the broccoli alfredo, they were both good, but I noticed water weight gain after eating them both and I had horrible cravings about an hour or so after eating them!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Apr-16-14, 12:38

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

There are some that have questionable ingredients I don't want - but there are still plenty of others that are not bad! They are probably the only frozen meals I've ever had that taste pretty darn good "as is" without having to doctor them up with butter and cheese and things like that to improve the taste.

They are not a "quick" meal for me since I don't own a microwave, so have to cook them for about 40 minutes in the oven. But I'm single, live alone - sometimes I just don't feel like cooking! Sometimes I'm tired. I always have 3-4 of these in my freezer for those occasions. I've been pretty happy with them. In general I feel their ingredients are pretty good when you compare them with *other* frozen dinners!
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-11-14, 17:58

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

I liked the Beef Merlot very much. I haven't tried any of the others, but taste-wise it was fantastic.