Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 09:36
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
I know nothing about thyroid, but whenever it is discussed, there seem to be tons of comments. Just linking to today's WheatBelly Tip; it has link to a previous Thyroid Tune-up checklist and includes current Iodine recs. When I was having mild symptoms (maybe from being too low carb and calorie) kelp helped me and I continue it.
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWheatBelly?fref=ts

Thank you, Janet!
I'll check it out.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 14:30

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I notice if you go to the "find a lab" link at healthcheckusa.com they have certain states grayed out. The map is small and hard to see, but these seem to be: Maine, Maryland, Masschusetts, New York State, New Jersey, North Dakota, (and maybe Rhode Island, it's so tiny it's hard to tell).

I believe these are the states that don't allow patients to order their own medical tests. Sadly the number seems to be growing instead of shrinking. Some years back, when I lived in NJ, I wanted to order my own thyroid tests. At the time there were only THREE states that didn't allow patients to order their own tests - NJ, NY and one other I can't recall. I tried to sign up for tests at healthcheckusa.com but as soon as they saw my NJ address they won't even allow me to sign up for their services! Said they could not take folks who lived in NJ (or one of the other proscribed states).

So not only could I not get the tests in NJ, I couldn't even drive 30 minutes to NY state to have them either. I finally was able to get the tests from mymedlabs.com who didn't care where I lived as long as I had the tests done in a state where it was legal, so I drove two hours to Connecticut to go have the tests!

Now I live in Florida, and if I want to redo the tests I can go to a lab 10 minutes away, quite an improvement.
  #33   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 15:32
Attitude is a Choice

You're right, Debbie. I just tried to order the test and NY isn't even an option in the list of states.

So, I'm going to start to take the Thyro Gold when it arrives.
I have located my PCP and there is an endo in the same office. Hopefully, they'll help.
  #34   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 16:15
Attitude is a Choice

http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/thyrosol

Quote:
Thyrosol® supports healthy thyroid function by providing targeted nutrients that support healthy thyroid hormone synthesis and promote the conversion of thyroxine (T4) to the more bioactive triiodothyronine (T3).*

• Supports the healthy synthesis of thyroid hormones.*
• Supports the steps in hormone metabolism negatively affected by stress.*
• Supports the conversion of thyroxine (T4) to the more bioactive triiodothyronine (T3).*
• May enhance the binding of T3 receptors to DNA, thereby supporting the expression of thyroid hormone-responsive genes.*

I got the above from my local pharmacy. They've got a naturopath there. He told me that most women do not get a good response to synthetic thyroid meds and that the desiccated bovine thyroid that I've ordered is the way to go.
I started taking the above 2 days ago, twice a day. Yesterday, every step I took was an effort. I felt like I weighed 270 lbs again. I've felt this way for weeks or maybe even months now. Very weak with little to no energy.
Today, I'm walking with spring in my step again. Too fast for a result? Maybe, but I'm happy to feel even a little bit better at this point. I definitely feel better.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 16:24

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Direct Labs has a "work-around" for NY, NJ and RI. I don't have to use that Access portal, but have been very happy with their services and pricing in NC. The blood draw is at the same LabCorp office nearby, goes to the same laboratory for testing, results are in my account in a few days.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 16:30
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Direct Labs has a "work-around" for NY, NJ and RI. I don't have to use that Access portal, but have been very happy with their services and pricing in NC. The blood draw is at the same LabCorp office nearby, goes to the same laboratory for testing, results are in my account in a few days.

Thanks for this, Janet! I'm checking it out now.

OK! All I had to do to get this done with them was to pay an upfront $24. Now I'll be able to get the labs done at a local lab.

Last edited by Judynyc : Wed, May-14-14 at 17:13.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 17:28

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
You're right, Debbie. I just tried to order the test and NY isn't even an option in the list of states.
Well you might check out mymedlabs.com also, which is what I had to do. They didn't care where you lived as long as you had the tests done in a lab in a state where it's legal, like CT.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 17:29

BF:

Quote:
OK! All I had to do to get this done with them was to pay an upfront $24. Now I'll be able to get the labs done at a local lab.
Really? wow, not bad at all if it works out!
  #39   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 18:29
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merpig
Really? wow, not bad at all if it works out!

Yup! Its going to work because they already sent me my paperwork.
Now all I have to do is pay for the labs when I go there.
  #40   ^
Old Thu, May-15-14, 05:17

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Over the counter thyro/thyroid/etc. have not active thyroid hormone in them. The 'Thyrogold' seems to work a little bit for some...not at all for me. At All.

Yes, more and more are able to get the labs done...depends on what the online lab does in way of 'signing' and requesting'.

Um, I'm sorry...but there hasn't been a case of iodine deficient hypothyroidism in ...um...a hundred years or better.

Almost ALL cases of hypothyroidism in the world in women is autoimmune Hashimoto's. AND if you put iodine in the 'mix' during an antibody attack, it can be disastrous. Or just not do anything..take your pick.

Actually once the disease has attacked the thyroid to the point of not being able to produce any hormone, putting iodine in there is kind of like putting gasoline in a car with no motor.

We know that we need iodine in order for the thyroid to MAKE hormone, but we also know that out of all the hypothyroidism in the world, Hashimoto's accounts for about 98% of it.

Don't take the Thyrogold until you test...it will skew the test, and then, to see if it works, use those tests as a 'baseline' and have FT's taking again in a couple months...I did that...and then tested again in a couple more months...nope, nothing..flatlined.... I was 45 yrs. old and Hashimoto's had shriveled my thyroid to a 'walnut' on the ultrasound screen.
  #41   ^
Old Thu, May-15-14, 08:30
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Um, I'm sorry...but there hasn't been a case of iodine deficient hypothyroidism in ...um...a hundred years or better.

Hmm... Both Dr. Eades and Dr. Davis say it is becoming more and more common due to the fact that people are cutting down on salt, or at least iodized salt. Dr. Wahls insists people should eat seaweed because our diets are iodine deficient these days.

However, you CAN overdo iodine supplementation. I was just reading somewhere (Wheat Belly?) not to use supplements lie Lugol's for very long.
  #42   ^
Old Fri, May-16-14, 04:05

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Nancy, that comment about not using lugol or the other concentrated one was from Dr. Davis on his FB page, in the comments under the Iodine post from a few days ago above.
I have been following his recs since July '12 in the "Iodine Primer" from his main blog, using plain old kelp capsules as just not big on seaweed no matter how many times I try it. Seems to work, is cheap and easy to take with my vitamins. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/07/an-iodine-primer/
  #43   ^
Old Fri, May-16-14, 04:14

BF:

Dr. Davies isn't a 'thyroid expert' and when I've questioned the nutritional doctors they tend to think we all are 'deficient' in iodine and some don't know that iodine can make antibodies attack even more.

You do what you want with your iodine, but I am speaking from my own experience and from thousands of others with Hashimoto's in active stage...if you don't have Hashimoto's...in active stage, perhaps you'd want to be tested for iodine level before taking.

I know it threw me into a bad place...just like my taking of selenium thinking I must have it for thyroid...not a good experience..had no idea my body's antibodies would really go wild. Be careful before taking a supplement...if Dr. Davies isn't right there with you (is he YOUR doctor?? and testing YOU specifically?).

I really do admire these low carb and nutritional doctor (particularly Dr. Eades) but they aren't 'my' doctor for my thyroid disease (or my five other autoimmune diseases). I tread lightly.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, May-16-14, 12:53
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
http://www.metagenics.com/mp/products/thyrosol

I got the above from my local pharmacy. They've got a naturopath there. He told me that most women do not get a good response to synthetic thyroid meds and that the desiccated bovine thyroid that I've ordered is the way to go.
I started taking the above 2 days ago, twice a day. Yesterday, every step I took was an effort. I felt like I weighed 270 lbs again. I've felt this way for weeks or maybe even months now. Very weak with little to no energy.
Today, I'm walking with spring in my step again. Too fast for a result? Maybe, but I'm happy to feel even a little bit better at this point. I definitely feel better.

An update: I got the ThyroGold yesterday. I had my blood drawn this morning after a 12 hour fast. I'm going to start the ThyroGold in the am.

I appreciate all the feedback Neanderpam. You definitely know your stuff! I think that the lense through which you see thyoid disease is very intense based on your medical history. You've done so well to manage all your health issues!
I hope that when I get my results next week, that you'll be able to help me analyze them.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, May-17-14, 04:27

BF:

I'll be willing to give it a try Judy.

You didn't have to fast to do just those tests, btw...and from here on out...when you ARE taking that Thyrogold, IF you want to see if it is raising any hormone levels...you'll want to: take HALF your daily dose of Thyrogold (this works with your RX'd hormones too...although you don't want to do this with a TSH worshipping doctor..egads NO)....then go and have your blood DRAWN for FT3, and FT4 almost EXACTLY five hours after taking that half dose. The half life of T3 is such that the way you do that shows where your 'peak' of T3 is at and what it is.

I'm sure you all know that T4 only (levothyroxine, Sinthroid, etc.) isn't working in the body until four to six WEEKS after taking it. Yep..isn't doing...nuttin'. So, when a doctor does ONLY a TSH ...he's testing your pituitary again...sigh...and it's 'anywhere in range, but about midway, which is a horrid place for a hypothyroid person'...he thinks he's 'doing something'.

If a doctor tests T3, however....the TSH will fall very low NO MATTER HOW MUCH you are taking. So...you wouldn't want a TSH worshipping doctor if you were taking T3 and MOST of those will talk you out of T3 (which your body converts T4 into if it is ABLE TO) yet one told me 'It's like legal speed! Do you want to be hooked on speed?' (yes, doctor, I do...do you want a koo koo pill??? hmmm???)

Best of luck Judy....