Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 11:04

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorelaiS
This keeps our adrenals feeling like we are always in fight or flight and never safe and leads to the fatigue.

Does this make any sense?

Oh, absolutely. I like to say that we are geared to be chased by a tiger. Whether we win or lose, it doesn't last long!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 13:31

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
You are right. I had no idea how inter-connected everything was until I started researching; like how menopause can create adrenal stress. Might be connected with how women have more thyroid issues... or at least, they seem to.

Because men in our culture have this "duct tape the limb back on, I don't have time for this!" attitude.

I LOVE that! LOL

If you want to see if you have normal labs if you are ON Armour...then you take HALF your daily dose, and then have Free T3 run exactly between five and six hours after you take the half dosage (blood draw at that timing).

If you keep being told you are 'normal' labs...make SURE you are keeping your copies of labs..now, go and look...and if there is JUST a TSH there..then you haven't been tested for thyroid.

The reason it's mostly women who have hypothyroidism is because out of allll the cases of hypothyroidism, 98% are autoimmune Hashimoto's (the test for that is TPO AB, BTW), and in the USA more than 2 out of every 10 women HAVE this autoimmune disease.
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 13:35

BF:

Low estradiol, and low progesterone (progesterone is the first hormone to lower in PERI meno...as young as 30 in some..) and when that progesterone slides...it 'alerts' the thyroid...the thyroid, being progesterone's 'BFF' starts rising to the occasion, and if you have Hashimoto's antibodies...the thyroid starts to get tired doing the job of BOTH progesterone and thyroid hormones...and then this triggers the antibodies.

Most triggers are being pregnant, sliding into menopause (even the peri state), and other hormone 'upheavals' Labs will be all over the place while pregnant and while lactating.

Menopause 'mimics' adrenal 'fight or flight' and so does thyroid disease...many aren't caught because the doctor only does a TSH (faulty! if you take 5600 'normal, non thyroid affected women...their TSH is around a 1 or very slightly higher...yet the range is .23 to 5.5...and doctors who don't know thyroid will 'claim' anywhere in range is just fine and dandy'
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Apr-08-14, 14:28

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

My last doc did a TSH which was normal, a free T3 and free T4, which fall into the normal but not optimal range (according to STTM) and won't do the antibodies now because my other levels are normal and said one needs to be off to show the other.

Also I've never been diagnosed. I know this is WereBears thread, I couldn't tell if you were talking to me or her.

I've been reading studies about treating non hypothyroid issues with T3 supplementation. Should be interesting to see where they land. For instance, fibromyalgia.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-14, 03:43

BF:

Oh, sorry...didn't mean to 'steal the thread'...

I was saying to anyone who is having a problem with doctors not doing the correct tests.

You don't need a doctor to get a TPO AB test LoralaiS ...there are lots of places online..you order the test, and pay for it online..they send you to the nearest lab to you.

I was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've been reading studies relating to off list uses of T3 for years...but, as several doctors have discussed with me, they don't see it actually being used. Sigh.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Apr-09-14, 05:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam

Don't worry about that. This is what the thread is about.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-12-14, 11:08
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:

I was saying to anyone who is having a problem with doctors not doing the correct tests.

You don't need a doctor to get a TPO AB test LoralaiS ...there are lots of places online..you order the test, and pay for it online..they send you to the nearest lab to you.

I was misdiagnosed with fibromyalgia. I've been reading studies relating to off list uses of T3 for years...but, as several doctors have discussed with me, they don't see it actually being used. Sigh.

Thank you for this amazing thread!
I'd be very grateful if you'd point me to a site where I can get the test, TPO AB.
I'm learning at this point and do need to have tests done.
Thanks!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, May-13-14, 04:48

BF:

The site I and thousands of others have used is www.healthcheckusa.com but there's several others.

You go there, you get the panel you want (thyroid panel II used to be the one I got...but look for: TSH FT3 (Free T3), FT4 (Free T4) and I think there is a larger one that includes the TPO AB (test for Hashimoto's) or it's separate.

You pay online at site after you pick your panel/tests, and they send you to a lab near you (they give a list of labs).

NOW, certain States (and I do believe NY was one of them...) used to not allow you to do this, but I see people from my part of NYS (Western) doing this now... best of luck.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-13-14, 06:54
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
The site I and thousands of others have used is www.healthcheckusa.com but there's several others.

You go there, you get the panel you want (thyroid panel II used to be the one I got...but look for: TSH FT3 (Free T3), FT4 (Free T4) and I think there is a larger one that includes the TPO AB (test for Hashimoto's) or it's separate.

You pay online at site after you pick your panel/tests, and they send you to a lab near you (they give a list of labs).

NOW, certain States (and I do believe NY was one of them...) used to not allow you to do this, but I see people from my part of NYS (Western) doing this now... best of luck.

Thank you!!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-13-14, 07:15
Attitude is a Choice

They offer a Premium Thyroid Panel which includes:

Quote:
What does the test include? The HealthCheckUSA premium thyroid function panel is a blood test that checks the following thyroid hormone levels:
•Reverse T3
•TSH
•free T3
•free T4

It also checks for the presence of specific thyroid auto-antibodies, including:
•Antithyroglubulin AB (TgAb)
•Thyroid Peroxidase Antibody (TPO)

Does this one cover enough?

Thanks in advance!
  #26   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 04:39

BF:

Yes Judy that is a 'good' one. Now..the only 'problem' is that...um...if you DO have Hashimoto's (so common, the most common type of hypothyroidism)...getting a doctor to TREAT you is rough 'where you are'. (you know that, right?).

I'm assuming you are researching and know that going by the TSH and just T4 alone...usually results in not being replaced well. Yes? And that in the State (and that CITY) is where many of the doctor will NOT NOT NOT do much other than a TSH.

There are a 'few' who do more...that doesn't mean they give natural dessicated thyroid...few and far between...but some will give T4 and T3 synthetic (BUT, if they give any amount at ALL of T3...your TSH will go WAY low, and if said doctor is a TSH taker...they will take that T3 right back off you).

RT3 (reverse T3) is not well understood for the most part and 'treating it' involves T3 ONLY in graduated dosages. I will say this: I have NOT EVER in the last 15 years seen a person who was treated for RT3...get any lasting changes... none...one paid over 7000 dollars out of pocket for treatment (EEEK) and her RT3 and panel went right back to where it was ....and finally, she was biopsied (thyroid) and had Hashimoto's...so I don't know much about RT3 treatment in that it 'may or may not work'. ??
  #27   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 07:47
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Yes Judy that is a 'good' one. Now..the only 'problem' is that...um...if you DO have Hashimoto's (so common, the most common type of hypothyroidism)...getting a doctor to TREAT you is rough 'where you are'. (you know that, right?).

I'm assuming you are researching and know that going by the TSH and just T4 alone...usually results in not being replaced well. Yes? And that in the State (and that CITY) is where many of the doctor will NOT NOT NOT do much other than a TSH.

There are a 'few' who do more...that doesn't mean they give natural dessicated thyroid...few and far between...but some will give T4 and T3 synthetic (BUT, if they give any amount at ALL of T3...your TSH will go WAY low, and if said doctor is a TSH taker...they will take that T3 right back off you).

RT3 (reverse T3) is not well understood for the most part and 'treating it' involves T3 ONLY in graduated dosages. I will say this: I have NOT EVER in the last 15 years seen a person who was treated for RT3...get any lasting changes... none...one paid over 7000 dollars out of pocket for treatment (EEEK) and her RT3 and panel went right back to where it was ....and finally, she was biopsied (thyroid) and had Hashimoto's...so I don't know much about RT3 treatment in that it 'may or may not work'. ??

Thank you again! I Truly and deeply appreciate your words.
I'm just learning so a lot of what you know and say easily is still a bit confusing to me. I did read at stop the thyroid madness.com web site and ended up ordering the Thyro-Gold that will be here in a day or two. I'm sure you know about it. Do you have any suggestion on how to begin taking it?
There aren't any endo's here in NYC who do this right? That's really amazing!
  #28   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 07:57
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

The thing with RT3 is that you're just trying to overcome human biology. Your body kicks up the production RT3 when it thinks you're starving. This is one of the criticisms of low carb.
  #29   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 08:04
Attitude is a Choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
The thing with RT3 is that you're just trying to overcome human biology. Your body kicks up the production RT3 when it thinks you're starving. This is one of the criticisms of low carb.

Thanks Nancy.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, May-14-14, 08:59

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

I know nothing about thyroid, but whenever it is discussed, there seem to be tons of comments. Just linking to today's WheatBelly Tip; it has link to a previous Thyroid Tune-up checklist and includes current Iodine recs. When I was having mild symptoms (maybe from being too low carb and calorie) kelp helped me and I continue it.
https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWheatBelly?fref=ts