Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Wed, Feb-19-14, 17:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 210/154/130 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 70%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LorelaiS

I'm so grateful for everyone's responses. And I hope the tone of my responses hasn't been anything other than grateful. I'm sure you can imagine how things can me colored by discomfort.

I think it may still be wise to see my ND and get some blood tests run again. She can order more than the regular doctors can because she doesn't need to have cause. I do have to pay for some of them out of pocket but they at least get the health insurance discount.

But for now, I'll keep reading responses to this post so I can have more things to talk to doc about and I'll just hang on tight for a few days and hope the discontinuation of the supplementation does the trick.

You have been very gracious. Hope I didn't sound dismissive. I just know how easy it is to blame way of eating for things and then change it before making sure. I think your plan is a good one. Get some outside, somewhat objective measurements and go from there. Best wishes!
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 07:39

Stats: 235/225/150 Female 5 ft. 5 in.
BF:
Progress: 12%

For anybody who followed this thread from the beginning the symptoms are the same as ever.

I've been screened for thyroid again but I don't feel like I've gotten all the info, lab tests put me in range.

Adrenal Fatigue keeps popping up on my searches but the Mayo Clinic says that isn't a thing, although I think it might be. My ND won't say the words adrenal fatigue but offered me an adrenal supplement to support them. I don't know how long it will take to know if it's helping.

After 2 months if supplementing with magnesium (as per ND), vitamin C, fish oil, E, D3, B12 and a few others I don't feel any better I'm going to do the 24 hours cortisol saliva test and have an even more comprehensive look at my thyroid.

Wish me luck.
  #18   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 07:42
NEVER GIVING UP!

Plan: no sugar/grains LCHF IF
Stats: 478/354/200 Female 5' 9"
BF:excessive!!
Progress: 45%

How much and what type of magnesium are you taking?
  #19   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 07:59

BF:

my doc told me to start at 500mg of any with an ate, I have Magnesium Malate. And to increase it every week or so, watching for too loose stools. She said I can go up to 2000 mg.
  #20   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 08:00

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

This is what I know: I used to have a lot of heart palpitations but they stopped when I began supplementing with a lot of magnesium. You should buy one ending with the suffix -ate:

magnesium citrate
magnesium malate
magnesium glycinate
magnesium orotate
magnesium chelate
etc

Just don't buy magnesium oxide because it is poorly absorbed and will just give you diarrhea. Don't take calcium/magnesium either because the calcium blocks the absorption of magnesium.

Take the highest dose that doesn't give you diarrhea. Take a tablet the first night and if it doesn't give you diarrhea the next morning take two the next night. If you don't have d. in the morning, take three the next night and so on. It is not toxic. Your body will just expel the excess. Some people feel it makes them sleepy, so take it at night.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=325601

http://forum.lowcarber.org/archive/...p/t-354900.html

Last edited by bike2work : Wed, Mar-26-14 at 08:09.
  #21   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 08:10

BF:

I have magnesium Malate, it has 3 carbs but I'm not sure what from, I'll list ingredients:

Magnesium Malate 425mg
Sodium 5mg
Malic Acid 2.5g

stearic acid
acacia gum
modified cellulose gum (from here maybe)
colloidal silicon dioxide
magnesium stearate

These give me loose stools usually right away but they make me delightfully sleepy and calm. Do you think I will get used to the effects?
  #22   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 10:36

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

I don't know, sorry.

If the suggestions here aren't fixing the problem, you should consider seeing a cardiologist.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 10:56

BF:

I have seen a cardiologist, I went to ER 3 separate times had the full cardiac workup, everything looks good. Even had an MRI, stress test and all that.

I was only asking about the magnesium.

I don't expect anyone here to fix my problem, but it's nice to have people stop in and keep me company once in a while.
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Mar-26-14, 12:42

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I use Magnesium Citrate, I read that it is the best for absorbtion. Also if one pill gives you loose stools, then the magnesium is going right through you and not doing its job. What do you use for potassium? If its the pills then you are wasting your money, you only get a small percentage of the pill in your system. I have gone to NU Salt, its a fake salt supplament and its 50% pottasium and it deffanitely works.
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 10:31

Plan: Fit for Life
Stats: 150/127/125 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Did your heart palpatations ever get resolved?

And I ask that question because I have had heart palpitations in the morning for close to 15 years and nobody has been able to help me. I have seen cardiologists and had all of the testing that anybody could have including a Cortisol test. I was placed on an inverter machine and turned upside down to see if I had a condition with my heart even. I'm not sure what that was supposed to do? At this point I have done everything including taken HRT, gone back to some carbs, and I take magnesium, and progesterone (bio-identical).

I'm thinking I have a tumor on a gland somewhere but they gave me an MRI for my pituitary but that's it. My friend had a tumor on her adrenal gland but her symptoms were very different. She retained water around her neck and chest.

Anyhow, I am a writer and I get very little exercise but I'm pretty much at my target weight through low carbing. My doctor says if folks lose too much fat there is no place for your body to store hormones. Are you too slender? Just a thought. I was also thinking exercise may play a part in this conundrum?
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Dec-30-15, 10:53

Plan: Atkins DANDR
Stats: 210/194/160 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 32%

How about Potassium. If I don't supplement, I definitely get palpitations. When you first get up do you sit on the edge of the bed to let your blood pressure normalize first?
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Dec-31-15, 12:44

BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Accessed my blood test results and wow!

Well I decided to go into my health portal online through my doctor's office. And I found the answer real fast. I looked at each factor in my CBC or complete blood count, looked up the high values and I am very anemic!?? The trend continued as far back as the records went. How it was never caught, I don't know.

What I do know is after my sister explaining the most bio-available and safe iron supplement, I promptly bought some. It's called "Easy Iron by Country Life". I also researched heavily and got Folic Acid at Rite-Aid, sublingual B-12, and I already take Vitamin C.

I woke up this AM with almost no tachycardia. I will update as the journey progresses but this really was a first for me in a long time. I truly hope it helps others too.
  #28   ^
Old Thu, Jan-07-16, 22:16

BF:
Progress:

Thanks Meme#1! I added potassium and that too seems to be helping. I have been trying to get off the beta blocker for a few days now but the palpitations are back. So I will wean slower.

Trying a few new supplements but will only report if they work.
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 13:04

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

I agree that raising your carbs just a bit could be quite helpful. For me, going below about 50g causes a lot of sleep issues, and one of them is heart palpitations. In general, I have a lot of issues with heart palpitations, mostly due to menopause and medication that I take. I also agree that avoiding any stimulants such as coffee, tea or chocolate, and avoiding alcohol are important (I would cut caffeine out entirely). Cutting out morning light completely until you are up and about is helpful.

But just to reassure--it feels dreadful, but it really isn't that harmful. Lots of people experience this. Just being able to take it in stride and not panic will go a long way. Don't focus on it.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Jan-08-16, 13:47
Registered Member

Stats: 164/152/135 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 41%

Hello there

This is my fifth time out on Atkins induction in a 21 year period.

What I have found from my experience, is that when I was younger (I am now days away from 51) and in ketosis, when my electrolytes were out of whack I felt faint and weak. But since I entered peri menopause when my electrolytes are low and not balanced it manifests as weakness and early morning palpitations ( you know the ones where the bed is pulsating underneath you cos that's how violent the palpitations are)

The only advice I can add to all the other posters is buy your supplements from reputable sources that you have researched. Now that supplements and vitamins have become more popular/mainstream, there are lots of supplements out there that are not fit for purpose. Popping a supplement is easy but if the contents are not bioavailable and just go through you it does nothing to maintain the type of balance required during the induction phase.

Even if you are not n the UK, check out G. Baldwins & co website and you will have an idea of reputable supplement producers, and many of the older companies are American, and you should be able to source stuff where you are.

Good luck