Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-14, 22:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/280/150 Female 5 ft  3 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hello to all,
I finally made cauilflower soup w/th coconut milk. It was eatable, but I've had better. I am not using any white or whole wheat flours.

Has anyone used Atkins Day Break Shakes. I do like chocolate, and being that it's only 140 calories, 10 protein), 0 sugar & 3 net carbs, I thought it might be a good snack. It does contain milk, and I'm trying to go dairy free at this time. I don't think throwing a few of these shakes in here and there will impede my progress. What do you think?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-14, 04:30

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Sorry you didn't love the soup. Did you get a can of the full fat version...that is very thick like cream, and goes well with curry spice to spark up the flavor of the cauliflower. http://www.thekitchn.com/creamy-cur...e-kitchn-187007

You can try the shakes, many people report here that the bars stall them and cause cravings, but the shakes are OK. Check your BG after as it is 10g total carb. Suggest you blend with ice, makes a thicker shake, and covers what to me was a chemical taste. But I have never liked liquid meals, no slim-fast for me.
I do use a chocolate whey protein powder at times and make my own smoothies with almond milk, greens, berries, flax, etc, and there are egg white powders if you want to avoid dairy.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Feb-11-14 at 04:38.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-14, 10:54

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jean
Hello to all,
Has anyone used Atkins Day Break Shakes...I don't think throwing a few of these shakes in here and there will impede my progress. What do you think?

For myself, those shakes were a diet killer. I've got too much of a sweet tooth and couldn't stop at just one. But, as is so often said, your mileage may vary.

That said, I've still got 2 of those shakes in the pantry from last summer. I haven't been able to decide if I should give them to the food pantry or save them for a treat. They sure are good over ice on a hot day!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Feb-11-14, 12:39
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Good Afternoon,
Janet, no, I have not gotten the canned coconut milk yet. I'm still trying to get out to the store and do some creative shopping. Too dangerous for me to try to get out to the car. Hubby does his best to get the sidewalk clear to the garage, to no avail. Weather is just too frigid for the ice melt to work.
Do you like the cauliflower soup? Your smoothies sound yummy. I'll ck out the recipe web site you posted.
Both you and BonnieOFS, have raised some red flags about cravings and stalling. Mmmmm, I think I'll pass on them for the time being. You mentioned for me to ck my BG, after I drink one of those shakes. What is BG? Also,
Where do you buy egg white powders? We are limited here in what the stores carry.
Janet, your only 7 pounds from your goal. Did you reach it yet?

Bonnie OFS, You have lost 28 pounds. Goodness girl, if they are a diet killer, kiss them goodbye or leave them for a special occasion. Just think of the beautiful trim Bonnie that lies ahead. My immediate goal is to stop the swelling in my feet, legs and tummy. You don't know how miserable it is to try to put shoes on a foot that is swollen out of shape. I feel like Cinderella's sister trying to squeeze into the glass slipper. LOL.
Keep strong kiddo, you can do it.
  #35   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 12:20
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hello to all, Hope you had a great Valentine's day. I enjoyed my day. Received red roses and a pizza. Like a fool, I couldn't resist pizza once it was in front of me. I ate 3 pieces. Shame on me.

New day today, start over. I've lost 6 pounds.

Anyone have a recipe(low carb, gluten free) for fish batter. I have some cod that I would like to fry up.
  #36   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 12:59

We had a great Valentine's too…though it was Filet Mignon, mashed broccoli and cauliflower, a big salad with blue cheese crumbles, and Red Wine (our only not perfectly strict LC item).
No pizza in almost four years…except those LC ones I make myself. And they are good.

Best to look for recipes in the Kitchen forum. there is a sticky at the top with a hyperlinked index. The fried fish recipe here also uses pork rinds: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=125868

Here just a start for dozens of Pizza recipes, plus many others:
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=215473

A favorite here:http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087
  #37   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 14:27

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Miss Jean, I hope you had a wonderful Valentine's Day!

To answer your question...all of my weight lost was lost on low carb. I had to be ever so picky too...there's no 'nut flour' in my future (anaphylactically allergic to most...except the best, the fattiest nut...macadamias!).

I am receiving disability after working over 28 years (I was SO fortunate to be able to be out and about in the 'real world' to work that long...truly a blessing...and I didn't want to 'give up', but had to).

All the doctors I saw...goodness..over 60 of them over the years...and only five knew what I actually had (HIE).. but...the key to myself having all this energy (yes I do have energy!) and staying well, and not being hospitalized is eating the way I do.

I still make all the 'goodies' for my husband (oh, yes, I sub splenda and liquid splenda..he doesn't 'catch on', lol) but I eat quite simply. I sub in crushed (in food processor) pork rinds as 'bread crumbs' lovely in meatloaf/meatballs, and my favorite pizza crust is the deep dish one made from cheese, egg...and the 'breadsticks' (look up 'chicken breast and mozzerella cheese breadsticks' and you should find it, and dozens of other recipes on the site that has it).

I do NOT like coconut milk or coconut oil (maybe because it's still a 'nut' no matter what it is made into?). I make cauliflower and sausage soup...and I just start with the ground sausage (or beef) and onions and garlic fried up, drain, and then add chicken stock to just barely cover the meat...simmer for awhile, then add in a chopped up half head cauliflower (if they're big) and let it cook till the cauli is 'done'... let reduce a bit and at the end...add in heavy whipping cream, just enough to taste... and if you want cheese, too..you can add some shredded cheddar and stir till melted in. SO good! I know if you are trying to not have dairy, that probably won't work either..but there are other soups, like beef veggie (sub in cauli for taters)...they are filling and also give you salt that you need when you low carb.

Things like chicken nuggets you can cut up chicken breast, and dip in egg/heavy cream/water and then in a mix of parmesan cheese and crushed pork rinds and fry.

I don't eat much in the way of 'sweet' as that was my downfall...makes me crave things I shouldn't eat, lol. I do take a half of a day once a week for 'prep'... and I keep one of those old tupperware 'lazy susans' filled with cherry tomatoes, and bacon pieces, cheese cubes, cucumber slices, cauliflower and broccoli flowerets...the Grandkids call it the 'wheel of munchies'.
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 17:14
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you ladies, Always such good advice and information. Love it.
I'm so excited. Tomorrow will be the first time I am able to get out of the house. I've been snow bound for almost 6 weeks. There is a small clear path ( clear of snow & ice) out to the driveway. Hubby will get the car out of the garage, and I'm off to the grocery store to get those pork rinds & coconut flour & other items that I need to cook LC / gluten free as possible.No pizza in 4 yrs. WOW !!! Checking out the web sites you gave me Janet. Very curious how to make pizza low carb. Since your's is good, please share your recipe with me.

I love your wheel of munchies, how cute is that ( grandkids). Pork rinds in meat loaf, what an idea. Can't wait to try it. I'll try to make cream of cauliflower soup once again. I think I made my too bland, so I'll spice it up nest time. Mmmmm ... I'm off to see the wizard, tra-la-la, by for now and many thanks !!!
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 17:26

Stats: 238.0/238.0/170 Female 5"3"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi Jean! I'm glad to see you here - this is hands down the best forum I've ever had the pleasure to participate in.

Yes you will do it this time! I'm 65 and so will I!

I found what you said about knee replacement interesting. I had a repair that didn't do the trick a few years ago and I have a replacement scheduled in May. The surgeon said most people with replacements don't kneel and I wondered why. I still kneel with the repair, although of course it's not the most comfortable lol!

Something I learned from caring for my Mom before she died in 2011 at age 94. When her gut didn't tolerate something and the medicines went through too fast, she couldn't digest them and they stopped having the effect they were meant to have. It can make life more difficult for sure!

I find your story inspiring. Stick with it and you will be amazed at the good things that happen (at any age!). All the very best to you and your husband.
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Feb-15-14, 18:26
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:
Smile Total Knee Arthroplasty

Hello Caroxx,
So you are scheduled to have total knee replacement in May. I had mine done in 2007. Glad I had it done. No more pain and can walk fine with it. I do have limitations as I do not have the mobility as I should have. Had difficulities from the start. Infections, blood clots and scaring. Don't want to frighten you as most people do not have any problems. I think the problem started with my surgeon , he went on vacation (out of the country) as soon as he completed my surgery. However, after the problems were resolved, it is so nice to be able to walk & live without pain in the knee joint. I'm sure you will come out with flying colors.
Why is it difficult to kneel. Well, your kneeling on a device and believe me, it is not comfortable. I like most others, cannot kneel. Small price to pay for the relief of pain.

I'm playing with posting icons. I hope they come out ok, and I hope I'm just posting one message. Isn't it wonderful, we keep learning new things all of our lives. Well, I'll know in a few moments if I'm doing this correctly.
Hugs

I love this forum too.
  #41   ^
Old Sun, May-04-14, 18:22
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

I think I need the Paleo diet.
Hello, I've been gone for awhile. Our business is sold, and now I have time to do the things that I've not been able to do for 15 years. I recently went to Florida to see my sister who is 83. I had been eating a lot of foods with bread crumbs, and truthfully, things I should not have eaten. When we left for Florida, my legs and feet & tummy were so swollen, that I had to wear flip flops. I was in so much pain that I had to use a wheel chair. That was the bad news. The good news was, I ate very little, and did not eat after 5:00 p.m. I ate mainly meat and veggies. When I returned home 6 days later, my body felt lighter, my legs, feet & tummy were down. I weighed myself, and I had lost 13 pounds in 5 days. 280 down to 265.
I have been watching what I eat since I got home. I'm keeping track what I eat and when my feet swell up. Today I thought I did everything right, but tonight my feet and ankles are swollen. I did taste some gravy I made for my hubby's roast. I did eat 1/2 cup mashed potates. Tomorrow I'm going to adhere strictly to a paleo diet. My sister who is 83 weighs 125 lbs. She is spry, and zips everywhere in her car. She couldn't believe how heavy I am and the condition I am in. She is my inspiration.
  #42   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 03:21

Welcome back, Miss Jean!!
Glad you had a successful start in FL, sounds like you may have lost some of that swelling quickly. If you have been following the Wheat Belly Facebook page, there have been many success stories posted the past few months and some lose edema just by dropping wheat and any gluten grains. https://www.facebook.com/OfficialWheatBelly?fref=ts. You know Dr. Davis doesn't support the use of any starchy substitute, and if you and your husband just follow his plan (Paleo Lite as he allows a few small extras), you will continue on from your great start. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...-quick-dirty-2/

On posting, go to the green bar at top, click on USER CP, you can edit your profile daily if you want, click save before you leave that page. Put in a start date too, all that information helps when answering your questions. Anytime you want to find old posts, click on your name, or go to the User Control Panel. You may want to start a journal, join a buddy group, or the weigh in thread at Triple Digits. Find a type of support here that will help you most.

Don't know what Paleo books or websites you have read now, but Here is a short Paleo Basics thread from a recipe site: http://www.rubiesandradishes.com/paleo-basics/ a few plans allow potatoes, most prefer sweet potatoes instead, but Still would suggest avoiding them until you have lost some weight. Consider keeping your carbohydrates low, excluding all grains and sugars, until you have the swelling completely under control.

Start checking out the LC and Paleo recipe sites, the one right here is good. It is indexed, so you click on the name and go right to the recipe post. There are substitute thickeners like xanthum gum or arrowroot for gravies. I found many LC and Paleo cookbooks in our library. Have you tried the DeepDishPizza? http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=44087. Everybody and his "brother" has pizza recipes, many use almond flour and cheese like this: http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....aux-carb-pizza/

Happy to see you back, already off to a good start towards better health!

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, May-05-14 at 03:52.
  #43   ^
Old Mon, May-05-14, 05:05

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I was happy to see your latest post Miss Jean. I had trouble with swelling at the highest weight I was at....and it's what led me to low carb. It does work though. I suppose I 'combine' a lot of paleo with my lowcarb...but I avoid anything honey, or sweet or potatoes.

I think a person can get used to just about anything over time. Now, some just get used to being swelled up, at a higher weight, and on lots of medicines...but I got used to substituting cauliflower for potatotes and lettuce leaves for bread and so on.

By now, you've lost enough quickly to see that this way of eating works well. I would give you my recipe I use for pizza but it is cheese/dairy...?? If you want it you can go to www.genaw.com where you'll find lots of great recipes for 'down home' type low carb foods. I use the deep dish one.

Best of luck to you...you can do this...
  #44   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 08:15
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Janet & Pam. what great support we have on this forum. I'm sending you big hugs. At this point, I'm not sure what program I'm going to follow. I think it will be a little of this and a little of that. One thing I do know, is that I cannot eat wheat & sugar, yeast & potatoes. Not 100 % sure on dairy, but I'm avoiding them as much as possible. I may be able to eat potatoes at a latter date in moderation. I'm sticking to meat and veggies for now on until my swelling is in control. OMG I feel so much better. If we ever get any warm weather, I'm going to start taking small walks to the mailbox & back. that's about 700 ft. Once I get my strength back, I'm going to try for a mile a day. Those are my goals. I know if I can stay commited, the weight will melt off of me. Got to go, checking out those websites you guys were so kind to give me.
  #45   ^
Old Tue, May-06-14, 08:28

We are happy to help, hugs to you too..you are doing so well changing your diet!

There is a Paleo recipe thread, I've added a few new links there, give you more ideas for meat & veg meals.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...278#post8874278

There are exercises to do inside even with limited mobility, check out these Seated Exercises: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource...eated%20workout