Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Fri, Feb-07-14, 18:35

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Welcome Miss Jean. I certainly hope that your lowcarb journey brings you better health as it has for me. I'm just done obtaining my certification in nutrition...I only work on a volunteer basis right now (I am disabled...but not 'down for the count' thanks to the lowcarb way of eating) with clients who, for one reason or another, cannot have bariatric surgery.

You really gave me 'strength' with your post...I'm 59 but have outlived almost every member of my family...my parents passed before they were 50, as did most of my Grands and my Uncles and Aunts (both sides afflicted with the same autoimmune disease as I have now).

I'm just tickled that someone your age has a soaring spirit and will to feel better by eating better. I will tell you (as will my doctors) that I am alive only because of this way of eating...all those RX's I 'could have taken' and all the treatments that haven't worked on myself or my family members...I am the only one who has changed my way of eating.

I hope you will not mind if I use your post to show others...I have a couple of clients who are convinced that they cannot change their way of eating because of their age..both nearing 70 and so desperately want to be in better health. Perhaps if they knew how many people are above the age of 65 change their way of eating and gain a bit of health back.

I wish you the best of luck on your lowcarb journey....this is a wonderful place Miss Jean...I had been maintaining my loss for quite a while before I found it. The folks here are 'in it to win it'.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 03:18

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

good morningGOOD MORNINGgood morning
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 06:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Bless your Heart! as we say in the South. Yikes, that is cold.
Understand about the exercise, why I mentioned the chair cardio. There are so many options for exercise videos, find ones that fit your abilities. Six chair routines here: http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource...les.asp?id=1713
You are doing great and glad you have read Dr. Davis's book. His diet is a good one..he has it summarized on his website, easy to print out for the shopper: http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2012/...-quick-dirty-2/
My Walmart carries the full-fat canned coconut milk in the Asian food section, and has UNsweetened Almond Milk too. There are a number of non-dairy, non-soy substitutes now.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sat, Feb-08-14 at 06:26.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 14:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 280/280/150 Female 5 ft  3 1/2 inches
BF:
Progress:

Hello Ladies, I just wrote a long post to all of you, and hit the wrong key and I logged off. Grrrr. I'm not very knowledgable with these gadgets. I need some training on them.
Neanderpam, I'm so amazed at you. You have lost over 100 pounds. What a feat that is. WoW! Your amazing.
I was going to have Bariatric surgery 2 years ago. I went through all of the test and the doctors wanted to do a Roux-en Y Gastric Bypass. 2 days before surgery I canceled. Gosh, I wanted to be able to enjoy a salad, & veggies. Can't do that with this type of surgery. I wanted to lose this weight, but not with 1/2 my stomach gone. I know a lot of folks who had the bypass surgery. Some are doing well, other's aren't. Dumping is a large problem with some people, plus I have a friend who had it done in her 50ties, and now she is so thin it sad. She can't get her weight up and she is malnurished.
Last year I tried once again and went to a hypnotist. It was a group session. The instructer gave each of us a C.D. to take home and to play it every morning and every evening. I did as I was instructed, but gave up because I never lost the craving for foods (mostly carbs) and went around hungry. That little venture cost me $400.00. The good Lord has truly blessed me with finding this forum and all you wonderful people. To find people that react to foods like I do, the bloating, swelling, cravings, to name a few of our problems. It's amazing, I've only been on this program just under a week, but I'm able to cook for my husband and when the grandkids come over, I have heaps of yummy foods, and so far, I'm able to walk away from it. I made Baklava yesterday, and I'm not tempted to eat any. I made spaghetti for my hubby, and only ate 1 tablespoon at the most. I just wanted to make sure I had all the seasonings right. Oh, passing up the pasta was hard. I could eat pasta every day. However, I'm getting the strength to walk away, because I have the daily support from you blessed people.
The swelling in my feet have gone down a little. Hey, That's progress!
Neanderpam, may I ask what autoimmune disease has plagued your family, and how are you disabled? I'm so sorry you lost your family. By all means, show my post to your clients. I hope that it will be beneficial. Please let them know that I feel (within days) so much better. I feel alive and I'm starting to write a short story and plan to send it to Readers Digest and some other magazines. More than likely, it won't get printed, but I will have the adventure of doing it just for fun. As long as I have breath in my body, I will continue to open new doors, explore what's behind those doors, and do my utmost to be healthy and not in this state of morbid obesity.
Janet, thanks for your input and good advice. I am chuckling right now, because I'm sending my hubby to Walmart to buy some unsweetened Almond Milk & canned coconut milk. My phone will be ringing, and he will be flustered, where do I find that blankety - blankety milk? LOL. I'm going to make that cauliflower and coconut milk soup tomorrow.

teresaw, I can hear you singing, gooood, morning, goood morning, how sweet that is. My husbands family is from Sicily. They have all passed on by now. We are now the elder's. My hubby was born in the USA. My father-in-law came over on the boat and went through Ellis Island. What an adventure that had to be for him and his parents. How beautiful it is where you live. My lady friend and I chatted over the phone yesterday. We want to make plans of visiting each other, and we said we would do that as soon as the weather breaks. She laughed and said, with all this snow and ice, we will see each other in June. LOL. We laugh about it, because there is nothing we can do about it.
Bye for now, Love to all.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 15:05

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Jean
I am chuckling right now, because I'm sending my hubby to Walmart to buy some unsweetened Almond Milk & canned coconut milk. My phone will be ringing, and he will be flustered, where do I find that blankety - blankety milk?

LOL - sounds like my husband. Tell yours what I tell mine: find an employee, ask where the item is, and the employee will lead you right to it. Saves wear and tear on the temper!
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 15:42

Plan: My own
Stats: 186/155/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 86%

Hi Miss Jean! I just wanted to pop in to say that I am enjoying reading your posts. It sounds to me like you are a lady with enough gumption to make this low carb lifestyle work for you; I look forward to reading about your journey.
  #22   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 18:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 264/257/160 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Is it EVER!!!
Progress: 7%

Hi Miss Jean, I am so happy to hear you are noticing improvements already. Wow, you are definitely in the icebox of the north! Sure you're not in the Yukon? You're doing great, and I'm enjoying reading your posts.

(((((hugs)))))
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Feb-08-14, 19:02
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

Hi, it's me again.
Janet, my hubby came home from the store and this is what he bought.
Brand Name: Blue Diamond - Almond Breeze - Unsweetened Almond Milk. (original)

Brand Name: Coconut Dream - Conconut Drink Unsweetened ( Original)

I think the Almond Milk is Ok,
but the carton of Coconut Drink, is a concern, as it doesn't say Coconut Milk.

I had in my cupboard, a carton of Meijer's brand: RiceMilk (original). I have previously used it in some recipes calling for whole milk.

I read in the last few days, that you will gain weight using rice flour, and have more fat in the midsection. I think that is what I read. So if using rice products will effect our insulin, and we become fatter around the middle, then I am concerned about using RiceMilk in the future. What is your opinion.
And Jean, look at you, you have lost over 40 pounds. That's awesome.

Bonnie OFS, Verbena, & Leanna14, I see your numbers are going down. Good for you girls. Keep at it, summer will be here and you will look goooood!!! real good!

I'm really taking this diet seriously. I know that these early days are the easiest, and the long haul is hard to go.

It's snowing again. Ugh!
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-14, 03:47

Plan: LC and PH now and then.
Stats: 176.5/153/140 Female 60 ins
BF:
Progress: 64%

Hi Miss Jean. Lovely to see your posts.. Please start a journal, and we can visit you there....
Interesting story about your husband family..they were brave people to take on such an adventure. Maybe thats why the U.S.A. is a real go getter country. It was built by strong forward looking people who wanted a better life for their families....
Different century, but my father went to Wales to work in the mines, followed closely by my Mum and thats where I was born ( Cardiff ). They returned to their village of birth in Sardinia in their later years and started anew. My hubby and I followed almost 11 years ago...and the rest they say is history.
I'm glad your enjoying your time here, because we are getting to know you and welcome you with open arms......
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-14, 04:10

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

Good morning Miss Jean.

I, also, went through a lot of money, and tried a lot of ways to lose weight, but couldn't lose my 'appetite' enough to stay on any of them. Losing the weight I did wasn't all that hard...keeping it off was a whole new ballgame, lol.

I have HIE (Hyper IgE Syndrome)..it's rare. Basically it means that I'm 'so allergic' that things that I've been around can become an allergen. Like perfume, if someone crosses my path with certain perfumes..I have an anaphylactic reaction.

I also have had parathyroid cancer (that led to Paget's disease of the bone), and ovarian cancer (we think from the injections directly into my abdomen of a drug that was supposed to 'cure' the high IgE...it didn't).

I certainly delight in helping others attain the better health by low carbing.... and those naysayers? People ask me all the time what I do with all the folks who are compelled to believe cutting carbs is nonsense or we're 'not doing dieting right'....and my answer is this: be the example. People aren't too interested in hearing about it until they see you lose the weight and keep it off..

Now, I also have Celiac (goes with my Hashimoto's...it's 'boyfriend of choice' I suppose, lol)...so that's kind of a thankful disability to have with this way of eating. If Celiac is lemons, I'm making some lemonade.

I so wish you the best of everything!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-14, 05:33

The two drinks your husband bought are fine as milk substitutes, as creamer or use in recipes. I mostly eat real food, but occasionally I will use them to make protein drinks with a scoop of protein powder, greens and berries.
The rice milk should not be used for the reasons you mention, just like the rice flour gluten-free substitutes it will also raise blood sugar.
The coconut drink is a thin beverage like milk, while canned coconut milk is very thick, thicker than cream and when at a cold room temp, partially solid. Next time your sweet husband is shopping, ask him to find the Asian food section, usually near the Mexican and other international foods in the regular food aisles. Walmart sells a brand called Thai Kitchen, it's a regular soup can size, on the shelf. Not the 'light' version, but full fat. If you need to avoid dairy, it makes a good substitute for thick cream.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Feb-09-14 at 05:50.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-14, 13:41

I just happened upon a newer, good talk by Dr. Davis, and he included a section on why you shouldn't eat Gluten-free subs. One hour, all good: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeyKvCkxp2o
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-14, 16:37
Registered Member

BF:
Progress:

JEY100 Janet, Neanderpam, & Teresaw,

Ok, went through my cupboards, and here is what I have because a gluten free cookbook I have, said to get these ingredients. I have been using them with poor reselts with weight loss, swelling & bloating. Some of them I will get rid of today, as I don't want my hubby 's health affected as he is pre-diabetic.

Quinoa Flakes
organic Quinoa seeds
organic whole millet seeds
Stone ground whole grain soy flour
Pure Tapioca flour
pure potato starch flour
whole grain stone ground brown rice flour
organic white rice flour
King Arthur's Gluten Free Whole Grain flour blend
King Arthur's Gluten Free multi-purpose flour
Almond meal/flour
whole ground flaxseed meal
organic Kamut flour > can't remember why I bought this.
maybe to make bread.

Bisquick Gluten Free Baking Mix
Regular multi purpose flour
SAF- Instant Yeast. For those who cannot tolerate yeast.

For dinner today I made fried chicken,(using reqular flour and milk) red skinned potatoes, sauteed spinach with fresh garlic , plus green beans.

I ate some chicken ( skin removed) spinach & green beans. I am really full. Oh, I drank some V8 juice as I was cooking.
I am trying to avoid dairy produts at this time, and I really need to keep a food journal. I'm lazy about that.
I will kick back here in a little bit and ck. out that site about not eating Gluten Free Subs. I appreciate you giving me these sites to check out. Very interesting and helpful. Thank you.

Neanderpam, My goodness you have so many ailments. Are they ongoing, or hopefully dormant.
I've just realized you have lost 165 pounds. Did you do it on the low carb diet or combinations of diets? OMG that is outstanding.
Celiac disease is difficult to get under control. So many food products claim to be gluten free, but the ingredients they use can make the matter worse. Bless you and I hope your feeling better.
Teresaw, thank you for your kind words. I will start a journal as soon as I can figure out how to do it. Not too bright with computers and all they can do. Kids pick this stuff up so quickly. My youngest great grandchild is 3 1/2 yrs. old, and you would be amazed at how he can use a computer and cell phone. Heck, I'm still at the learning stage of turn it on / turn it off, LOL. My cell phone is so old, that all it does is, turn on & turn off. The cell phone company keeps trying to get me to update to a smart phone. I tell them, this old phone works perfectly, and a smart phone is a little to smart for me. LOL.

It's snowing again. Hubby is moaning about shoveling the snow. Poor sweetie. 2 coyotes were up by the garage looking for food. I get nervous when they are close to the house. Deer are having a hard time trudging through the snow. It's a hard winter.
That's all for today Kiddies,
Hugs,
Miss Jean
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Feb-09-14, 18:10

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Almond meal/flour
whole ground flaxseed meal

For a diabetes friendly diet, these are about all you can keep. It depends on how sensitive either you or your husband are to carbs. I can't even eat almonds, so the almond flour is out for me. I'm getting quite creative with ground flax meal!

Quote:
For dinner today I made fried chicken,(using reqular flour and milk) red skinned potatoes, sauteed spinach with fresh garlic , plus green beans.

Again, depending on how sensitive you are, you can probably get by with the flour on the fried chicken - it's not like eating a biscuit. But I'd ditch the potatoes. One diabetic friend calls them "sugar in a jacket." I do miss baked potatoes.

Best of luck to the both of you in changing your diet!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Feb-10-14, 12:25

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

Lots of low carbers use a mix of ground up pork rinds and grated parmesan cheese to "bread" chicken and other meats.

I like my chicken pieces deep-fried "naked" without adding any coating and love the crispy skin from cooking it this way