Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 11:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default 10 Myths Within The Low-Carb Community

10 Myths Within The Low-Carb Community

Go here and read comments. http://authoritynutrition.com/10-my...carb-community/

November 19, 2013 | by Kris Gunnars | 14,676 views | 52 Comments
Low-carb diets are awesome.

The research is clear that they can reverse many common, serious diseases.

This includes obesity, type 2 diabetes, metabolic syndrome and a few others.

Collectively, these are the biggest health problems in the world.

That being said, I’ve noticed a problem that has been growing steadily over the past few years in the low-carb community.

A lot of dogma seems to be getting accepted and many myths that are NOT supported by science have gained foothold.

This is a consequence of a phenomenon called group thinking, which is common in nutrition circles and can lead to a distorted view of the science.

This is a big problem, because dogmatic and extremist views will not help the low-carb diet gain acceptance.

They will simply scare intelligent people away and put them in a defensive mode instead of making them willing to observe the arguments objectively.

Plus… dogmatic, unscientific views are what got us into this terrible public health mess in the first place. Let’s not make that same mistake again.

1. Low-Carb is The Best Diet For Everyone
Low-carb diets are super healthy.

The studies consistently show that they cause more weight loss and improve most risk factors for disease more than the failed low-fat diet that is still being pushed by nutrition organizations all over the world (1, 2, 3).

That being said, low-carb is not appropriate for everyone.

We’re all different and what works for one person may not work for the next.

I know many people who have given low-carb an honest shot and didn’t like it, either because they didn’t get the results they expected or they simply didn’t feel good.

For others, low-carb can be downright detrimental.

This includes people who are physically active, especially athletes who do a lot of anaerobic work. These individuals need a lot more carbs than people who are sedentary.

We should be mindful of the fact that other people have different needs and different preferences. Different strokes for different folks.

2. Carbs Are Inherently Fattening

Sugar and refined carbs are bad, pretty much everyone agrees on that.

But vilifying all carbs based on that is kind of like vilifying all fats because of the harmful effects of trans fats and vegetable oils.

The truth is… not all carbs are fattening. It depends completely on the context and the type of food they are in.

For carbs to be “fattening,” they need to be refined and put into a package that is highly palatable and encourages overconsumption.

A great example is potatoes. On their own, they are not very exciting. They have fiber, a low energy density and you will most likely feel full pretty quickly.

On the other hand, potato chips, deep fried in corn oil, with salt and pepper and maybe even a dipping sauce… now you’ve got a highly fattening food that is easy to overconsume.

Many populations around the world have maintained good health on a high-carb diet with real, unprocessed foods, including the Kitavans and Asian rice eaters.

3. Carrots, Fruits and Potatoes Are Unhealthy Because of The Carbs

I’ve seen many real, traditional foods demonized by low-carbers because of the carb content.

This includes foods like fruits, whole potatoes and carrots.

True… it is essential to limit these foods on a very low-carb, ketogenic diet. But this does not mean that there is anything “wrong” with those foods.

People often tend to see things in black and white. Either a food is “bad” or “good.”

But the truth is that in nutrition, everything depends on the context and “healthy” is a relative term.

For a person eating a Western junk food diet, replacing some junk food with a few pieces of fruit per day would be “healthy.” But for a diabetic managing their symptoms on a ketogenic diet, the same amount of fruit would be “unhealthy.”

In my opinion, low-carb zealots trolling the web scaring people away from whole foods like carrots and fruits, without any regard to context, are no better than militant vegans spreading fear mongering about meat and eggs.

4. A Low-Carb Diet Should Always be Ketogenic

A ketogenic diet is a very low-carb diet, usually under 50 grams of carbs per day, with a very high fat intake (60-85% of calories).

Ketosis can be a highly beneficial metabolic state, especially for people with certain diseases like diabetes, metabolic syndrome, epilepsy or obesity (4, 5, 6).

But this really is not the only way to do a “low carb” diet.

Low-carb can be anything up to 100-150 grams of carbs per day, perhaps even more.

Within this range, there is easily room for several pieces of fruit per day and even small amounts of whole, starchy foods like potatoes.

Even though a very low-carb / ketogenic diet may be the most effective for quick weight loss and several disease states, this is not appropriate for everyone.

I know of a lot of people who didn’t feel good in ketosis, but when they added in a few fruits (still low-carb) they suddenly started feeling awesome.

5. All Carbohydrates Are Sugar

Saying that all carbs are broken down into “sugar” is true, but misleading.

Technically, the word “sugar” includes various simple sugars like glucose, fructose and galactose.

Yes, starches like grains and potatoes do get broken down into glucose in the digestive tract, which raises blood sugar levels.

To a diabetic, it is true that starches turn into “sugar” and raise the “sugars” in the blood.

But to other people, who are not chemists, the word “sugar” implies the white, unhealthy granular stuff… sucrose.

Telling people that “all carbs turn into sugar” is misleading. It makes people think that there is no difference between a potato and a candy bar.

Whereas table sugar contains half glucose, half fructose, starch is only glucose. It is the fructose portion of sugar that is the most harmful, starch (glucose) does NOT have the same effect (7, 8).

Trying to mislead people into believing that starches are equivalent to sugar/HFCS is dishonest.

6. It is Impossible to Gain Weight on a Low-Carb Diet

There are some who think that as long as carbs and insulin are low, that weight gain is impossible.

But the truth is… it is very possible to gain weight on a low-carb diet.

Many low-carb foods can be fattening, especially for people who are prone to binge eating (like I used to be).

This includes cheese, nuts, peanuts and heavy cream.

It is very easy to eat a ton of calories from these foods, enough to stall weight loss or even cause someone to start gaining weight back.

Back in my binge eating days, I used to binge on peanut butter. For a while, I used to eat an entire jar of organic peanut butter (70% fat, 15% carbs) every evening and I gained weight like clockwork until I stopped doing it.

Although many people can eat these foods without problems, others need to moderate them if they want to be able to lose weight without restricting calories.

7. Drinking Butter and Coconut Oil is a Good Idea

Despite decades of anti-fat propaganda, the studies are showing that saturated fat is harmless (9, 10, 11).

There is no reason to avoid high-fat dairy products, fatty cuts of meat, coconut oil or butter. These are healthy foods.

But just because “normal” amounts of saturated fat are fine, it doesn’t mean that adding a ton of it to your diet is a good idea.

It is trendy these days to add a whole lot of butter and coconut oil to coffee.

I think doing this is fine… in moderation. It will probably lead to a reduced appetite, so it won’t cause weight gain or anything like that.

But if you’re adding 20-30-50 (or more) grams of fat to your diet every day, then you will be eating less of other more nutritious foods instead (like meat and veggies).

8. Calories Don’t Matter

There is a misunderstanding among some low-carbers that calories don’t matter.

Calories are a measure of energy and body fat is simply stored energy.

If our bodies take in more energy than we can burn off, we store it (usually as body fat).

If our bodies expend more energy than we take in, we use stored body fat for energy.

One of the reasons low-carb diets work so well, is that they reduce appetite. They make people eat less calories automatically, so there is no need for calorie counting or portion control (12, 13).

Of course, these diets also optimize the function of important metabolic hormones like insulin, but one of the key reasons they work so well is that people start to eat less calories without trying.

Calories count, but counting them or even being consciously aware of them is not necessary in many cases.

9. Fiber is Mostly Irrelevant to Human Health

Dietary fiber is indigestible carbohydrate material in foods.

Humans don’t have the enzymes to digest fiber and therefore it passes through relatively unchanged.

However, fiber is not irrelevant to health, like some low carbers seem to believe.

Fiber actually gets to the bacteria in the intestine, which do have the enzymes to digest it and can turn it into beneficial compounds, like the fatty acid butyrate (14).

In fact, there are many studies showing that fiber, especially soluble fiber, leads to various health benefits like weight loss and improved cholesterol (15, 16, 17).

There are many different types of fiber. While some don’t really do anything, others are highly beneficial for health.

10. If Low-Carb Cures a Disease, That Must Mean That The Carbs Caused it in The First Place

Many people who are metabolically healthy can easily maintain good health eating carbs, as long as they eat real food.

However, when someone becomes insulin resistant and obese, the metabolic rules seem to change somehow.

People who have metabolic dysfunction caused by the Western diet may need to avoid all high-carb foods.

But even though removing most carbs may be necessary to reverse a disease, it does not mean that the carbs themselves caused the disease.

Healthy people who want to stay healthy will do just fine, even on a higher carb diet, as long as they stick to real, unprocessed foods.

The prevention does not have to be the same as the cure.

Take Home Message
Group thinking is a big problem in nutrition. People tend to pick “sides” – then they only read blogs and books by people who agree with the side they have chosen.

This is a BIG problem among vegans. They are often completely brainwashed, with a severely distorted view of the science.

But I have started to notice the same thing in the low-carb community as well.

We need to be vary of this group thinking phenomenon and always look at the opposite argument as well. Science changes all the time and what is true today can be proven wrong tomorrow.

So let’s continue to promote the incredible life-saving benefits of low-carb diets (for the people who need them).

But let’s not ignore all contrary evidence or distort the science just to get our point across. That ain’t cool.

If we do that, then we’re no better than the vegans.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 11:24
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I love this, Arlene! Thanks for posting!

LOVE #3!

love them all but number 3 made me LOL!
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 12:03
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

Excellent post and one everyone should read
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 12:17

Plan: Atkins Indunction (DANDR)
Stats: 205/202/130 Female 5'2 or 62''
BF:42%/???/28%
Progress: 28%

Interesting read. Thanks for posting. However, Im conflicted with the physical activity part of #1. Im reading The Art and Science of Low Carbohydrate Performance and it gives a different view.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 12:37
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yeah, this person wants to sound like an expert, but I'm not sure they know enough to distinguish between true and false things as far as low carb diets are concerned.

How can you say something that hasn't been proven is either true or false?
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 13:20

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

He starts with the statement that our beliefs should be based in science. He then points out some beliefs that have neither been proven nor disproven, calling them myths.

If a person does poorly on a very low carb diet, adds fruit, and does better, this is given as a valid anecdote supporting the contention that a low carb diet isn't for everyone.

But then he has a myth where Drinking Butter and Coconut Oil is a good idea--and the many people doing well on that program--their anecdotes don't count? Besides personal bias, on what grounds is this better than that? As far as nutrient density goes--there's lots of room for various green leafy veggies, that plus small amounts of extremely nutrient rich meats such as liver go a very long way.

People feeling better with fruit, or potato, doesn't mean that they suffered from a carbohydrate deficiency, that remains to be proven. Back to those nutrients again--it's quite possible to devise a ketogenic diet that's nutrient deficient in other ways. And not that hard to design a ketogenic diet that's complete. When somebody does poorly on a ketogenic diet, the problem is--which ketogenic diet is that?

Quote:
There are some who think that as long as carbs and insulin are low, that weight gain is impossible.

I don't think this is a proven thing. But as long as he includes insulin in there, I don't think it's disproven, either. I'd also like to make that inappropriate weight gain.

Would the binge eating he describes be effective in fattening him if his insulin were in line? (Or would the binge have even occurred in the first place, if he hadn't had some insulin issues in the first place)? I'm not suggesting these things are true, only that they might be.

If he just said that a food doesn't necessarily have to be high carbohydrate to cause weight gain when added to the diet, there I'd agree.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 13:24

BF:

Honest, when I started typing my post, Nancy hadn't posted yet.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 14:16

Plan: Keto (Atkins Induction)
Stats: 235/175/185 Male 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 120%

I think the author is about as accurate as the group thinking that she is dissing. Partially right, partially wrong --- and the picture with a stethoscope doesn't add any authority to me, but actually does the opposite without proper letters after her name --- it says "I dress like a doctor so you will believe me."

1. Low-Carb is The Best Diet For Everyone

Agreed. This one is pretty obvious to me. If one diet worked for everyone, we would only need one diet book!

On the other hand, I think a high carb diet is probably the worst diet for most humans. Look around, that's all the proof I need. Supersize me!!!

2. Carbs Are Inherently Fattening

High glycemic carbs cause insulin release which among other things causes the body to store fat. So I consider this one partially correct.

But we are on a low carb diet, not a no carb diet. Most people who follow a plan like Atkins go on very low carb during induction and then add carbs until they reach the maintenance point. After that point, carbs are definitely fattening.

I don't think our group-think says carbs are fattening, but too many carbs are fattening.

3. Carrots, Fruits and Potatoes Are Unhealthy Because of The Carbs

I'd go with quantity on this one. (1) Potatoes are pretty worthless, (2) most modern fruit cultivars have been bred to have far to much sugar in them, and (3) carrots are OK, again in limited quantities.

The apple of today is nothing like the apple of the pre-agricultural age. It was closer to a crab-apple. Years of selective breeding has resulted in cultivars that are hundreds of times sweeter and larger than the ancestors. Same for corn, pears, carrots and so on.

Just as we bred chihuahuas from wolves we have grown frankenfruits and frankenvegetables that are Goliaths compared to their ancestors,

The agricultural age is a mere speck in the time span we humans have evolved on the planet. I don't think the body was meant to ingest the concentration of carbs that most modern fruits and grain products supply

I disagree with the author's figures here. She says, "Low-carb can be anything up to 100-150 grams of carbs per day, perhaps even more." ???? That is NOT a low-carb diet. Anyone who thinks so knows nothing about low carb diets, and therefore everything else this author says becomes suspect.

5. All Carbohydrates Are Sugar --- Saying that all carbs are broken down into “sugar” is true, but misleading. ... Yes, starches like grains and potatoes do get broken down into glucose in the digestive tract, which raises blood sugar levels.

What??? First it's misleading and then they all break down into glucose? Are we contradicting ourselves here??? Either they break down into sugar or not, you can't have it both ways to support a weak point.

'nuff said about this one

6. It is Impossible to Gain Weight on a Low-Carb Diet

Agreed. If I ate 5,000 calories of pure fat a day, I'd still get huge

7. Drinking Butter and Coconut Oil is a Good Idea

I don't drink it, although I do put HWC in my coffee and tea. I eat a lot of fat and coconut oil. Again, this depends on the person.

I don't think it matters whether you drink or eat the fat, what works for one may or may not work for another.

8. Calories Don’t Matter

They definitely do matter. Just less on a ketogenic diet than on a high-carb diet.

9. Fiber is Mostly Irrelevant to Human Health

I take psyllium fiber every day - it makes my innards happy - however for my DW fiber binds her innards and gives her problems

10. If Low-Carb Cures a Disease, That Must Mean That The Carbs Caused it in The First Place

I think if low carb cures a disease, that means that the carbs either caused the disease (as in type 2 diabetes) or created a favorable environment for the disease to thrive in (as in cancer, candida, etc.)

I do think group thinking does affect many of us who do not do independent research on our own (and research is so easy to do). I like pubmed.gov (from the National Institute of Health) because the articles have been published in peer reviewed publications.

However, I don't think we are as brainwashed as vegans because vegans ignore these things
  1. Our teeth are the teeth of omnivores, both flesh tearing and grinding teeth are resident
  2. We have the digestive enzymes of an omnivore
  3. The length and design of our alimentary canal is average for an omnivore (vegetarian animals have multiple stomachs, extremely long alimentary canals, or eat their own feces to pass the through again)

Most low carb people eat both plant and animal foods, although we are choosy about which foods we eat.

So I think the author may have a point on group think, but is not doing a good job supporting her point without committing the same sins as the group-think-tank does.

Bob
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 14:26

Plan: HF/LC Primal
Stats: 235/134/130 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 96%

Loved the main points in this (you guys already hit on the points that bothered me). Thanks for posting, Arlene!
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 14:35

Plan: AIP (autoimmune paleo)
Stats: 235/185/165 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I like 6, 7 & 8

I just recently read Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101 book and one of the points she has is that a lot of low carbers say that dairy "stalls" them when in fact it's likely the 800 calories in a cup of cream and the many hundreds of calories one can easily eat in cheese that are very plausible explanations as opposed to dairy per se.

To me points 6, 7 & 8 all point back to that same thought - low carb isn't a magic panacea that allows for over consuming vast amounts of calories...
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 15:54

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParisMama
I like 6, 7 & 8

I just recently read Jenny Ruhl's Diet 101 book and one of the points she has is that a lot of low carbers say that dairy "stalls" them when in fact it's likely the 800 calories in a cup of cream and the many hundreds of calories one can easily eat in cheese that are very plausible explanations as opposed to dairy per se.

To me points 6, 7 & 8 all point back to that same thought - low carb isn't a magic panacea that allows for over consuming vast amounts of calories...

First I agree with your observation about the magic panacea.

That still leaves the question of why we're driven to overeat calories in the first place? For me, peanuts cause binges, peanut butter doesn't. Heavy cream stalls me in coffee, but if I whip the stuff, I'm fine. Making cheese more calorie-dense by buttering it cuts down consumption--and probably leaves me eating less calories. I think something about dairy stimulates appetite. Calories really don't matter if you don't actually eat them.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 16:36
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
I think something about dairy stimulates appetite.
That's my experience too.
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 16:39

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob-a-rama

I disagree with the author's figures here. She says, "Low-carb can be anything up to 100-150 grams of carbs per day, perhaps even more." ???? That is NOT a low-carb diet. Anyone who thinks so knows nothing about low carb diets, and therefore everything else this author says becomes suspect.
well but the "low" part of "low carb" is relative to one's demand for energy from glucose. I think she's right here and it goes back to what you said about "too many carbs". Some people doing a lot of movement, burn as they go, so it's not too many carbs. Just because many people who are metabolically challenged can't handle that much doesn't mean it's no, no, never, NOT "low carb." Primal Blueprint carbohydrate curve being an example. Or Lutz who said up to 72 per day even for the elderly.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 17:11

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Excellent. The author is at the bargaining stage. Only depression to get through then acceptance!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Nov-20-13, 17:23

Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

I just want to add a couple of points.

There are at least two effects of carbs. One is to immediately increase blood glucose then insulin and as BG rises over 100, glucose is stored in the fat cells so don't eat so much carbs at one time such that BG goes over 100. Second is to switch from burning glucose to ketones such that the fat cells liberate their triglycerides (TAG) to make more ketones. This is done after glucose has been depleted AND there is an absence of insulin. Here is where the Insulin Index becomes important over and above the Glycemic Index.

So the author is right when he says (to paraphrase) "this is not that and that is not this" BUT the LC community is generally right in their "group think". Eating "good carbs" helps people not gain weight but once the weight is gained.... a lack of good (and bad) carbs helps a lot of people lose weight.