Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-15, 18:31

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

Quote:
I find this fascinating -- though I don't know if I wouldn't get crazy hungry.

Well, WereBear, the only thing I can say is, calorie for calorie, nonfat potatoes are incredibly satiating. I had a potato for breakfast, and was full. Had another one for lunch and was full. Had one and half for dinner at 5pm... and I'm STILL stuffed at 8:30. lol Most people who try the PH are surprised to discover the same thing... unless they're not eating enough (ie, restricting carbs or calories).

But add fat to those potatoes and you fall into a bottomless pit... think potato chips.

For me, nonfat potatoes are much more filling than mostly fat (fat fast) or protein (Stillman's or meat & eggs). Worse, eating a high fat ketogenic diet leaves me with an odd lingering unsatisfied snippish discontent, that several hours later sends me scrounging through the fridge, usually something LC with AS, even if I'm still full. Think how easily we are tempted with dessert, even after eating a full meal.

But with potatoes, I can almost guarantee that you will not want any dessert. In fact, the thought of eating anything else at all right now is actually repugnant, 3.5 hours after dinner.

Kinda wish I had a blood meter... would be interesting to test right now. I'm betting my BG is low, since hunger is nonexistent.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-15, 18:46

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sagehill
Kinda wish I had a blood meter... would be interesting to test right now. I'm betting my BG is low, since hunger is nonexistent.

Most chain drugstores give them away. Might be worth a look.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-15, 18:53

BF:

I'll check it out, thanks!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-15, 19:17
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I feel same as you on a high fat diet. Just uncomfortable and hungry.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Oct-27-15, 21:42

Plan: Banting
Stats: 150/132/132 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
After three weeks, I went on a 3-way rotation of 5 days PH, 5 days LC and 4 days Fat Fast for a month, losing another 10-15lbs before going back to LC permanently... a big mistake, looking back now. No denying, I regained weight when I stopped, but only because my autumnal SAD depression hit with vengeance. Had I stayed on the PH/LC/FF rotation, I might have avoided the regain, maybe even the SAD for the winter.
Yes, but could you stay on that rotation forever? I'm not seeing how the potato hack is integrated into a lifelong, healthy WOE.

Regarding SAD--I've struggled with that for pretty much my entire adult life. I just dreaded the coming of November and short, dark days. But for some reason the last two years, I have almost none. Most likely due to changes in hormones due to menopause, or the addition of progesterone, as nothing else has changed. The dietary changes were more recent.
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 04:51

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 250/140/140 Female 5' 7
BF:?/28%/?
Progress: 100%

My understanding on eating them cold or hot - to get the most resistant starch you should cook them and then put in the refrigerator. Then next day you can reheat them without losing any of the resistant starch. Of course, if you like cold is fine too.

I started the PH Saturday morning and have lost 6 pounds as of this morning (day 5). Not sure if it is the no fat, minimal protein or the severe calorie restriction, or the no snacking and IF - going 14 to 16 hours without eating. It will be interesting to see how things go when I move back to LC
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 05:39

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

I don't see any reason why a potato hack could not be incorporated into your lifetime forever. Potatoes have an amazing amount of nutrients. I'm another who was never fully satiated by high fat. The Kwasniewski diet always left me feeling vaguely "moreish" all the time. And something like the Atkins 1000-calorie fat fast (BTDT) was pure hell.

The most amazing thing to me about the potato hack is how easy it is. Having had such dreadful experiences on low fat diets in the past scared me off at first. But man is there a world of difference between a potato and a plate of celery sticks.

Weight down again to a small new low this morning, so that is 10.4 pounds total so far on the PH.

The 5:2 diet is another that didn't work to break my 6-year stall but maybe I'll have to be like Jenny and be more on the "anti 5:2", 5 days of the PH and 2 of LCHF.

Another rainy morning here and I just walked the dog. Sitting in the Florida room with my first cup of coffee. Starting to enjoy it just black again rather than with HWC and CO.
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 05:57

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicekitty
Yes, but could you stay on that rotation forever? I'm not seeing how the potato hack is integrated into a lifelong, healthy WOE.

Regarding SAD--I've struggled with that for pretty much my entire adult life. I just dreaded the coming of November and short, dark days. But for some reason the last two years, I have almost none. Most likely due to changes in hormones due to menopause, or the addition of progesterone, as nothing else has changed. The dietary changes were more recent.

Through the winter would have been an excellent idea, though a better permanent rotation for winter would be one week PH, one week LC. I know my brain really does better on starchy carbs... there's a book that explains it pretty well, "Potatoes, Not Prozac."

Re SAD, I lived in central Michigan and my SAD always started in mid-August when noticeably shortening days and cool weather would cause me to to start saying depressing things in a voice of doom: "Winter's coming." My easy summer weight loss would dwindle to a stop, no matter what I did, and ravenous hunger would start... I was like a bear preparing for hibernation. Very depressing. Usually by this time I would have already put on 15 lbs of the 40 I lost every summer. Very depressing.

Last March I finally fled Michigan for Florida and have lost 53 lbs since... and I'm still losing in late OCTOBER! Amazing. Never underestimate the power of the sun in health.

Last edited by Sagehill : Wed, Oct-28-15 at 06:07.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 06:02

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

I am so pleased for you, Debbie!

We really need to be willing to try something new if there is still work to be done on ourselves

My main concern is that I'm in the Kruse protocol, which calls for a Big A$$ Breakfast (the BAB) as soon as I get up, and that has done wonders for me.

And my weight has been erratic with the hormone issues. Still got to get those under control.
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 06:22

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Once you got to maintenance rather than weight loss, you could always do a more hedonic version of the diet--add in sweet potato, squash, etc. What killed my potato hack attempt was probably low palatability--I bought the wrong potatoes, and my recipes (if you want to call them that) sucked. I switched to bananas, trying to eat to maintenance, and lost weight doing that. I even threw in some eggs and tuna, to try to make the protein intake comparable to potatoes.

On second thought, what I attempted wasn't really the potato hack--I was trying to do what Chris Voigt originally did with his potato experiment, eat to maintenance on potatoes. It's possible that force-feeding myself potatoes just drove my insulin up to the point where the potatoes were feeding my hunger, instead of satiating it at a lower level of intake.
  #41   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 06:33

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Last March I finally fled Michigan for Florida and have lost 53 lbs since... and I'm still losing in late OCTOBER! Amazing. Never underestimate the power of the sun in health.
And I had the opposite issue, moved to Florida and gained over 50 pounds! I had gotten down to 245 which was my weight when I moved here, but began gaining soon afterwards and eventually hit 300 again which was my big wakeup call this spring.

Back in NJ I could always lose weight in the winter but tended to gain it back in the summer. I used to say "I don't hibernate, I estivate".

But I'm determined to get back to the 240s again (and maybe then some). It's a terrible struggle as it's 30-35 pounds below the number my body "likes" to be at, but I still have hopes of resetting my set point. Potatoes definitely seem to be helping.
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 06:51

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
Once you got to maintenance rather than weight loss, you could always do a more hedonic version of the diet--add in sweet potato, squash, etc.

On second thought, what I attempted wasn't really the potato hack--I was trying to do what Chris Voigt originally did with his potato experiment, eat to maintenance on potatoes. It's possible that force-feeding myself potatoes just drove my insulin up to the point where the potatoes were feeding my hunger, instead of satiating it at a lower level of intake.

Teaser, the more hedonistic version would be similar to the Perfect Health Diet, wouldn't it? I might have to check out their book... I haven't read it yet, having been carb-phobic until recently.

The PH really is a weight-loss hack, so probably may not work well for those who are already at maintenance. And Chris Voigt did lose some 20 lbs in that month that needed losing, which is why everyone jumped on the bandwagon. lol
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 08:05
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Well, the potatoes are really messing with my gut and I had some non-fat yogurt yesterday (bought some probiotics last night). Anyway, I didn't lose anything.

I really overate on the potatoes yesterday too. I'm sure I'm eating more than 2 pounds. I do get kind of woozy from what feels like hypoglycemia and then eat more potatoes to deal with that.

Let's see how it goes today. I'm a little worried I didn't bring enough potatoes to work. Well... at least I won't over eat on them today!

I baked some in my oven last night and they stuck something awful to my nonstick baking pan. Gah!
  #44   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 08:18

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:
Teaser, the more hedonistic version would be similar to the Perfect Health Diet, wouldn't it? I might have to check out their book... I haven't read it yet, having been carb-phobic until recently.

The PH really is a weight-loss hack, so probably may not work well for those who are already at maintenance. And Chris Voigt did lose some 20 lbs in that month that needed losing, which is why everyone jumped on the bandwagon. lol

I meant something more hedonic, but still very low in fat. The idea wasn't to stuff myself to the point where I lost no weight--just to eat, like Chris Voigt, what would normally be a maintenance calorie level for me, and let the scale do what it wanted.

I'd trust myself to low fat for a few months before I'd do the Perfect Health diet, there've been times when I've had a bit more "safe starch" in my diet, like while I lived on my sister's farm for a while, and the results weren't good. I am not carbohydrate phobic, but I am mixed-diet phobic, it's never worked for me.
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-28-15, 09:34

BF:

Quote:
there've been times when I've had a bit more "safe starch" in my diet, like while I lived on my sister's farm for a while, and the results weren't good.
LOL, I'll bet! Yeah, "safe starches" definitely need to be consumed low-fat to be safe. lol