Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > General Low-Carb
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-13, 17:26

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/315/240 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default How low carb IS low carb?

I'm on Atkins, so I'm very familiar with what HE says for carbs (20 on induction, moving up by increments of 5 ....) But I know other diets have different philosophies. So I'm wondering - when we say we are all low carb dieters, what do we really mean - what is a range that would still be considered low? And related to that - can anyone tell me how many carbs are in the AVERAGE North American daily diet?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-13, 17:57

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

From reading posts by people on various plans here, it seems the range is from 0 carb to 100g a day. Under 50g appears to be the most common. 100g might seem high to be considered low-carb, but I've read that the average American eats more than 300g of carbs a day. I'm sure I ingested far more than that back in my SAD days. When I think of all that bread and pastry, the french fries, the candy bars.... Shudder. Now I keep it as low as possible, certainly under 50g.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-13, 18:23

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Prominent nutrition researchers have defined low carb, blog post about that paper: http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...defined-it/6648

Quote:
Low-carb ketogenic diet (LCKD): less than 50g carbs and 10% calories daily
Low-carb diet (LCD): 50-130g carbs daily and between 10-26% of calories
Moderate-carb diet (MCD): 130-225g carbs daily and between 26-45% of calories
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 04:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

For comparison, I calculated a typical day's carbs, pre-Atkins: 350

This is without desserts, or candy. Moderate portions. So I would say that is the low end.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 05:52

Plan: No Sugar, No Starch Diet
Stats: 250/230/195 Male 74"
BF:38.5%/29%/25%
Progress: 36%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
For comparison, I calculated a typical day's carbs, pre-Atkins: 350

This is without desserts, or candy. Moderate portions. So I would say that is the low end.

I don't count carbs now, just concentrate on trying to avoid them as much as possible. I would guess my current woe is under 50 and most days in the 20 to 30 range. Before I started LC I would bet it was way above the 350 level. Probably more like 500 most days. Amazing I didn't weigh a lot more than I did! I was a true carb addict.
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 06:02

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck41
I don't count carbs now, just concentrate on trying to avoid them as much as possible. I would guess my current woe is under 50 and most days in the 20 to 30 range. Before I started LC I would bet it was way above the 350 level. Probably more like 500 most days. Amazing I didn't weigh a lot more than I did! I was a true carb addict.
I'm the same! I certainly never eat anything that is over 6g carbs per 100g!!

Jo xxx
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 08:01

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

I'd go with the below 20% of total calorie intake definition. At that point, you are clearly doing something very intentional to reduce the ratio of carb to fat.

For myself, below 20% is sufficient to get reasonably normal looking bG curves after meals. When I go higher, I get that sustained elevated pattern that is typical of insulin resistance... Below 10% I don't do so well, I get really irritated, even if it might be technically healthier.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 09:16

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

Looks like a concensus is emerging. I am generally less than 50 a day, often much less. If I go much over 50 fasting BGs become a problem. More insulin does not help, just tends to cause lows in the middle of the night.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 10:11
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 218.6/201.8/150 Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

On the "Why we get fat and what to do about it" by Taubes, he said to basicially stay on about 20 carbs per day- kinda strict but works for me to aim for. Some days I eat more, some less, but staying really low helps me stay honest...stay overall low...
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 10:13
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/OMAD
Stats: 173/149.1/145 Female 5'8"
BF:22.66
Progress: 85%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
Looks like a concensus is emerging. I am generally less than 50 a day, often much less. If I go much over 50 fasting BGs become a problem. More insulin does not help, just tends to cause lows in the middle of the night.

I don't post much, but have to agree with this poster. Under 40g of carb for me has my fasting blood glucose in the a.m. and throughout the day in the non-diabetic range. I have been able to lose 20 lbs (in 10 weeks) and reduce my insulin from 120 u per day to 34 (I am insulin resistant). I have also been able to discontinue my lisinopril (20mg per day) as my blood pressure has dropped to about 112/59. Low carb is the only way I have been able to manage this. Over 50 grams of carb knocks me out of ketosis. Going to the doctor tomorrow for blood testing, anxious to see how my cholesterol is doing after 10 weeks on this woe.
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 10:49
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I think that its important to point out here that people with healthy body/metabolism do not need to stay on the very low end of low carb...for weight loss or maintenance.
Meaning, if you're not diabetic or don't have thyroid issues or other hormone related issues....then you'll find you can eat a bit on the higher end of the low carb spectrum.
I know that this was and still is true for me.
I average between 50-60 to 100-120 grams a day. I am not diabetic nor do I have thyroid issues. I'm menopausal and have been since 2004 when I started out.

Know your body...know what your issues are.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 11:11
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%

I think Judynyc is right. I do low carb - but for me, low carb is 50 - 100. sometimes probably a little more and sometimes a little less. I too don't have any thyroid or diabetic issues. I am in peri-menopause though
  #13   ^
Old Thu, Apr-18-13, 13:39

Plan: No Sugar, No Starch Diet
Stats: 250/230/195 Male 74"
BF:38.5%/29%/25%
Progress: 36%

I am not diabetic and have no thyroid issues. I have to stay close to the 20 to 30 carb range to keep the weight on a downward path. Hope I will be able to increase a bit when I reach maintenance, but that is months away. Until then I am content in remaining in that range. I suspect the quantity of protein I eat causes my stalls. No matter. I am not changing anything as long as my weight continues on a downward trend.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-13, 10:31

Plan: generalized low carb
Stats: 205/180/185 Male 67
BF:31%/14?%/12%
Progress: 125%

And there are some people, even diabetic, most often women who have problems if they go much below 120 grams of carbs a day. When metabolism goes bonkers issues vary for all of us.
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-13, 11:03
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLL
And there are some people, even diabetic, most often women who have problems if they go much below 120 grams of carbs a day. When metabolism goes bonkers issues vary for all of us.

Exactly, Rob and thanks for adding that.

I've seen way to often, mostly women who get stalled out doing VCL or M&E. Adrenal fatigue happens to many who stay too low for too long.