Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-13, 13:47
Triple digit loss

Plan: Dr. Bernstien
Stats: 352/206.8/175 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 82%
Talking hey nancy

Thanks for the suggestions! Dr Bernstein doesn't allow them to be subtracted out because with diabetes you will still have an insulin reaction. According to Dr. B's own experience is they still getting digested... He calls them slow reacting carbs.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-13, 17:26

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

How's your fat intake? Doesn't fat not have an effect on your blood sugar?

What really satisfies me is a good portion of fat. I eat coconut oil right off the spoon. There's even a thread about people who snack on butter.

I realize fat raises calories. But I find I only get hungry if I don't have enough fat sources in my meals.
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-13, 19:02
Triple digit loss

BF:

Hey WereBear, Correct fat doesn't have an effect on the blood sugar that i know of. I love coconut...

I am going to switch back to bacon tomorrow to see if that helps any today was pretty bad.
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Apr-08-13, 19:48

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

Personally, till your body gets used to being low carb, I'd eat as much low carb fare as I wanted. The food consumption will go down on its own, thats why we love ketosis. I can understand not wanting to go crazy on protien but man, I eat way more than you do and my calories tend to be 1500 or so. Unless your a really small person you may want to eat more. I like pepperoni for a snack.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 05:09

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Read the link under Nancy's signature " Eat more Salt" ..very important if under 50g carbs.

Dr. B has a website and forum, though I don't know how active it is...pose your question there too?

I checked the Atkins Diabetes Revolution and a "snack strategy" is important for maintaining stable blood sugars. Of course, those snacks would be protein and fats..a chicken leg, a HB egg, piece of cheese, etc. No snacks is a laudable goal, but for now, eating something low carb and filling when you are hungry makes sense to me.
Are you working with a Low Carb doctor or dietician? They may have medications to help temporarily.
If you like coconut, a divine but addictive treat to add good fats, is coconut butter or manna. Whole Foods had it, I ordered from Amazon, Artisana brand coconut butter..another version of a 'butter snacker' to kill hunger.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 09:45
Triple digit loss

BF:

Hey Jacki, How you get so much more protein in with only 1500 calories? Maybe you are eating less fat (oil, butter) I eat chicken 5 nights a week(around 9 ozs), Pork 1 night(8ozs) a week and 1 steak(12 oz) 1 night a week. I have 5.3 ozs of steak tips 6 days a week. 1 day lunch is a crap shoot we go out. Then for breakfast I have the 3 eggs with bacon and cheese 6 days a week and 1 day is a crap shoot I get eggs with something.

BTW I can't really do more steak ~ dinner cause hubby has gout...Beefs supposedly is really bad for gout.

Last night I fried up some hamburger and I will try and snack on that a little as well as salad.

Next week I will change my morning back to flank steak that should add more protein in the morning.. I know I felt more full eating it with the eggs I make...See what happens...

"The food consumption will go down on its own, thats why we love ketosis"

Can you explain this a little bit? Thanks so much for your thoughts!
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 10:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
BTW I can't really do more steak ~ dinner cause hubby has gout...Beefs supposedly is really bad for gout.

You need Gary Taubes' deleted chapter on gout. Anyone have that link handy?

Just to address your question about ketosis and appetite: Most people get a pretty drastic appetite reduction in ketosis. But you should probably be there if you've been strictly LC for a week or more.

http://itsthesatiety.com/2012/10/17...a-hunger-haven/
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 14:25

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Gout articles here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=451058 Both Taubes and a New one by Chris Kresser.

For more protein w/o too many calories, I keep cooked chicken and canned salmon and tuna on hand for snacks.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 14:34
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovinita
I keep waiting for the hunger to completely leave with Dr. Bs plan. It hasn't.

I am hungry pretty much all day everyday.
Any ideas? Will this abate to being normal?

are you sure you want this type of eating program?
constantly being hungry and waiting for the next meal sounds like a binge waiting to happen.
is there another eating program you can do where you can eat the foods that will stick with you longer and you won't be biting your nails waiting for the next meal?
have you researched other eating programs?
find you a program that will allow you to eat enough foods so that you don't fall off a cliff.
find something that you can stick/adhere to long term.
there's got to be one out there for you, i'm sure of it.

many of us here eat LC, Atkins style.
we eat until we're satiated until the next meal.
no biting the fingernails.

good luck to you.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 16:31
Triple digit loss

BF:
Wink

Hey PilotGal, thanks so much for your questions. Honestly, my Diabetes kind of demands it at this point. I am at my whits end with it.

Before I went on Dr. B's plan I was also constantly hungry. It had just started 1-2 months prior.

If I had a choice I swear off food and never eat again. Honestly, I don't get that much pleasure from eating.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 16:37
Triple digit loss

BF:

Hey Janet, last night and this morning the chicken boullion worked. It kept my hunger at bay. I tried a snack which only worked for about an hour then I was back to being hungry.

Before I ate dinner just now, I was hungry but not that hungry. And while I was eating I just felt like something was flooding my body kind made my mind go a little loopy.

And now I am raveshed. I am starving. So I tried some hamburger with cheddar cheese on it. I am still starving. And I wasn't this way before i ate.

I am currently not working with anyone in modern medicine. I have to say I gave up on them. They have no clue nor do they wish to help you. They have no creativity or problem solving skills. They have a play book that they read from that tells them were to go.

I wish I could find someone to help me in the medical arena but they all pretty much suck....

Thanks for all you help I do appreciate it
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 16:50

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I can't explain why ketosis works, but it does help with hunger. Many loose their appetite after eating LC for a few days.

I personally don't believe we all need 100g of protien a day. I eat till I'm full and thats that. I do eat fat with my meals. I thought in your first post, that you didn't eat much, I may have been wrong.

If I need a snack I try to grab pepperoni, pb with celery, an Atkins shake, pork rinds or something equally low carb. I don't usually eat breakfast because it seems I'm hungrier thought the day if I do. I start with lunch, a snack if I need it and supper. I'll take a look at my journal to check out my protien, I don't pay attention.
  #28   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 17:00
Triple digit loss

BF:

Hey Nancy, thanks for the great info I will look into it... I truly appreciate it you taking the time.

BTW not "if you've" but "since you've" I been following the LC diet. LOL. Kind of a touchy subject. I am sure you understand no one likes being subtly accused of lying

I ate ~ 5PM, snack ~ 6PM. 6:45 PM my BG is 94.

And unfortunately, I am starving...

What did I have for dinner 3 chicken thighs and a vegetable medley of Red Bell peppers, asparagus, onion, green italian peppers, zuchinni, and squash. I had 1 cup of cooked vegetables which is 12 grams of carbs as stated by Dr. B.. I didn't eat all of it cause the zuchinni/squash was just to watery and squishy. Even thought I didn't eat all my veggies I will still mark it down as 12. And also I drank 16 ounces of water.

Thanks for the info.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 17:02
Triple digit loss

BF:

Hey Janet, I been researching salt. I found this article that talks about Low sodium diets and its affects on insulin resistance.

http://joe.endocrinology-journals.o.../185/3/429.full

interesting...

Thanks again for all your help and your time
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Apr-09-13, 17:14
Triple digit loss

BF:

Oh I meant to say Janet, before I came here I found dr bs forums. They don't work.. I tried registering at work and at home. And it kept telling me my Ip address was blocked. Gave up..