Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 11:51

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Also agree about the dry eyes. The Jaminets also connect "mucin deficiency" to common constipation problems with VLC. Something I manage with water, salt intake, magnesium and coffee, but the 12 days or so I have been adding safe starch...no more problem. Ummm. I just started my little experiment with PHD, so see what happens long term.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 16:58
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Keto Myths

Something about mucin deficiency here. I wonder if the dry eyes/mouth is because you lose so much sodium and most people don't understand or know that they need to get a lot more sodium.

Mucous not glucose deficiency

Just some counter opinions.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Thu, Feb-14-13 at 17:09.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 18:29

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

I thought about sodium as well when she mentioned that olives relieve them.

Dr Mike Eades had a post on mucin a while back. Unfortunately I can never find what I want when I search his site, but what I recall is that he felt it was an inflammatory response, rather than something desirable.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-13, 23:38
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liz53
I thought about sodium as well when she mentioned that olives relieve them.

Dr Mike Eades had a post on mucin a while back. Unfortunately I can never find what I want when I search his site, but what I recall is that he felt it was an inflammatory response, rather than something desirable.

Is this the post you were thinking of? http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...s-fore-and-aft/

By the way, Dr. Ede wasn't using olives to relieve the dryness, she was blaming them.
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 06:28

I love Dr Mike's style of writing, especially after reading Nancy's two links. Proof reading no longer necessary?, and now gelatin has to be added?
Don't want this thread to go off-track from Dr Edes and ketogenic diets for cancer, will comment on the other thread.
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 08:24

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by RawNut
Is this the post you were thinking of? http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...s-fore-and-aft/

By the way, Dr. Ede wasn't using olives to relieve the dryness, she was blaming them.

Oh, I read that exactly wrong! I'm so used to the idea of salt as a good thing to keep electrolytes in balance. Haven't checked the link but I think that is it. Thanks.
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 09:26
Experimenter

BF:

I don't see how raising concerns about ketosis is taking it off-track.

I also didn't see much wrong with the two links I posted, but I read them pretty fast and wasn't trying to proofread them either.

As far as adding gelatin, I think that would be counterproductive to ketosis since it is so high in protein.

Don't take offense, Jey. I just like to check out contrary opinions. I know that when I am eating lots of protein, my blood sugar stays pretty high, just like Dr. Ede's. So... how can there be a glucose shortage when you can see what almost looks like pre-diabetic levels of glucose during fasting?
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 09:56

Plan: ECLECTIC LC-MFP
Stats: 321/182/196 Male 72
BF:ABDOMINABLY?!
Progress: 111%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
As far as adding gelatin, I think that would be counterproductive to ketosis since it is so high in protein.

The protein in small doses of gelatin can be easily offset in the diet. A tablespoon is only 8g protein or about equivalent to an oz of meat. My daily doses add up to about half that. Dr. Ede's blog suggests the degree of ketosis is more related to total amount of protein, than in the fat to protein ratio. Which I found to be interesting, along with the blood glucose readings as protein was decreased... Next time I have my blood tests done I think I'll try reducing protein for a couple days prior to see if the effect applies to me too.
  #24   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 11:20

Quote:
I don't see how raising concerns about ketosis is taking it off-track.

I also didn't see much wrong with the two links I posted, but I read them pretty fast and wasn't trying to proofread them either.

Don't take offense, Jey. I just like to check out contrary opinions. I know that when I am eating lots of protein, my blood sugar stays pretty high, just like Dr. Ede's. So... how can there be a glucose shortage when you can see what almost looks like pre-diabetic levels of glucose during fasting?

Sorry, Nancy, I was just amused by the style differences and that didn't come across right. But the additional suggestion that someone in ketosis now needs to manage their gelatin intake was one diet theory too much for me early in the morning. I can only manage and monitor so many nutrients before orthorexia sets in!
http://evolutionarypsychiatry.blogs...e-risks-of.html

The high glucose levels on low carb diets (what my latest blood tests indicated) are supposedly the result of Physiological Insulin Resistance, another new theory and/or concern to understand, plus how to manage it. A list of resources here, plus Jaminets series on the topic at PHD. http://ketopia.com/physiological-insulin-resistance/
  #25   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 12:55
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I've read anecdotes of people reversing the rise in BG by eating carbs just once a week. Apparently, it keeps glucose metabolism from downregulating too much or it prevents too strong a physiological IR.
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 13:02
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
I've read anecdotes of people reversing the rise in BG by eating carbs just once a week. Apparently, it keeps glucose metabolism from downregulating too much or it prevents too strong a physiological IR.

How much carb?

But from reading Dr. Ede's blog it looks like you can do the same by eating less protein. She went from BG of 90-100+ to mid-60's by lowering protein.
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 13:13

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quite a drop in BG when she dropped the protein down.

I'm glad for her, but hate that protein has that effect
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 13:54

Quote:

I have been testing safe starches for less than two weeks and will need to do so much longer. But so far, for me, Sweet Potato worked like a charm bringing BS down; white rice not at all, and it changes daily. Eat sweet potato with dinner, next morning the BS is low and I can fast to noon, no hunger. Eat white rice, the next morning BS is high and I am hungry early. A weekly dose of carbs wouldn't work for me, at least so far... but I haven't ventured into the land of white potato, boiled and cooled into "resistent starch"...yet. I really would like to "just eat real food".
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 14:03

Plan: Low carb and hCG
Stats: 187/180/145 Female 5 feet 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

Back to the low carb/cancer connection. We have several people on this website who are suffering with, or have succomed to cancer. I know there are no absolutes, but I do know that at least two or more of my low carb friends here had been low carbing for a long time. I'm not schooled in medical jargon, and I'll have to do some digging to be sure I'm understanding what I'm reading, so if this comment isn't applicable to this discussion, please disregard. I just thought I'd post it to see if there are any explanations for this observation.
  #30   ^
Old Fri, Feb-15-13, 14:20

Plan: ZC
Stats: 260/222/170 Male 5-10
BF:Huh?
Progress: 42%

Quote:
How much carb?

But from reading Dr. Ede's blog it looks like you can do the same by eating less protein. She went from BG of 90-100+ to mid-60's by lowering protein.

If both theories are correct, I'd rather do a weekly carb up than drop my protein so low, I think.