Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 12:12

Plan: no specific
Stats: 442/394/221 Male 72 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Youtube series against Low Carb

Here is a series of videos talking against low-carb diets and low-carb proponents such as Taubes and the Diet Doctor.

Nutrition Past and Future
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...pboyh2oYyAFZDBA

I came across it as part of my LC research - I wanted to see what "the other side" says. I was wondering if others saw this if anyone put together a rebuttal/response.

The author/speaker is very condescending and the little verbal jabs against LC supporters imply that the target audience is other vegans rather than trying to get LC people to change.

I've only watched part of them so far and he ends up doing everything he accuses low-carbers of doing - cherry picking studies, reading too much into scientific papers, deception/lying, etc. He also relies heavy on epidemiological studies

Curious what y’all think.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 12:47

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Who is Plant Positive? The related blog has no About Me or any list of credentials..anyone who won't identify themselves is not worthy of attention. But certainly has been busy attacking everyone even remotely related to eating meat, from Denise Minger to Dr Sinatra.
Some people can do well as a vegetarian, I am not one of them. I gained sixty pounds quickly as a vegetarian, which caused a host of health problems. Then I lost the weight and now have perfect health by eating a low carb, moderate animal protein diet. It is the only study of importance to me.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 13:04

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

I too gained sixty pounds as a vegetarian, which caused a host of health problems. One of them was a wheezy voice like Plant Positive, caused by allergy-induced asthma that went away when I gave up grains.

I could only watch half of the first anti-Taubes rant. If Taubes were too clueless and ridiculous to be taken seriously, he would be quickly forgotten, so why the need for dozens of long-winded rants against him??? PP (or Pee Pee, as Anthony Colpo calls him) berates people for their lack of credentials, but what is he? - an anonymous blogger with lots of free time on his hands, so presumably he has even fewer credentials than those he attacks, or he wouldn't be anonymous.

One of the comments after the first video called him "Doughy" Taubes, although in the video Gary looked great and Ornish was the puffy and doughy-looking one who had a hard time articulating what he was trying to say (grain-induced brain fog?).

Plant Positive is on Facebook and appears to be a buzz-cut male of indeterminate race who lives in Washington DC. Single, of course.

Last edited by deirdra : Mon, Jan-28-13 at 13:42.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 13:17

Plan: Ketogenic + IF
Stats: 240/194/175 Male 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

I didn't watch them and i'm not going to. You can't reason with people like this because they refuse to believe anything different than their own belief system. It's just propaganda. The best way to deal with this type is to ignore them.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 14:11

Plan: CRON
Stats: 178/117/130 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:BMI 18.5 Yay!
Progress: 127%

Fantastic series. I've seen nearly all of them. The author uses evidence based studies and cites every single fact he mentions to debunk LC. He also notes the citation in each study so you can look it up if you need to.

His takedowns of Taubes and Cordain were particularly good.

"I can brush my teeth - I can't brush my arteries." LMAO.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 14:19
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb / Ketogenic
Stats: 256/231/180 Male 178cm
BF:start 30%
Progress: 33%

I watched evidence posted by Plant Positive in this channel... well you can find 'studies on fat' he offered in my thread: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=449798
The first three studies I explained are the same he listed. Have to say he looks for studies which seem to indicate that increase of fat/protein are somehow linked to disease and posts this as "hard proof" that fat/meats are evil. He seems rarely reading studies he posts.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 14:30

Quote:
I too gained sixty pounds as a vegetarian, which caused a host of health problems.

Eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain, no matter which diet you use.

If you were eating the lowest calorie density foods, like fruits, veggies, and whole grains, all with a calorie density of 600 calories per pound or less, you would have a hard time keeping weight on, let alone gaining weight. I suspect you ate lots of oils and fat (vegetarian does not necessarily equal strict plant based or low fat). Fat is about 4,000 calories per pound. So it would be easy to gain if you eat it.

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hpho...065919229_n.png
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 14:57
Registered Member

Plan: Low Carb / Ketogenic
Stats: 256/231/180 Male 178cm
BF:start 30%
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by femur
Eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain
You refer to the long held "energy in - energy out" belief, which goes along the "a calorie is a calorie" and "eat less exercise more".
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 15:15

Plan: Wheat belly
Stats: 235/220/200 Male 6 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 43%

Quote:
Eating more calories than you burn causes weight gain, no matter which diet you use.

If you were eating the lowest calorie density foods, like fruits, veggies, and whole grains, all with a calorie density of 600 calories per pound or less, you would have a hard time keeping weight on, let alone gaining weight. I suspect you ate lots of oils and fat (vegetarian does not necessarily equal strict plant based or low fat). Fat is about 4,000 calories per pound. So it would be easy to gain if you eat it.

fruits and grains are low calorie now too?
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 17:15

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
whole grains, all with a calorie density of 600 calories per pound or less

Whole grains are not 600 kcal / pound.
They're 1500 kcal / pound.

Make it into pasta and eat with tomato based sauce, it is TRIVIAL for most people to gain a bunch of weight doing that. Don't even need sugar or oils.

Whole fruit and veggies though, I agree with you. They have so much water and fiber in them, that you'd have to hurt yourself to eat over energy balance on them.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 17:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwwff
Whole grains are not 600 kcal / pound.
They're 1500 kcal / pound.

Make it into pasta and eat with tomato based sauce, it is TRIVIAL for most people to gain a bunch of weight doing that. Don't even need sugar or oils.

Whole fruit and veggies though, I agree with you. They have so much water and fiber in them, that you'd have to hurt yourself to eat over energy balance on them.

Actually, no. Intact whole grains have the same profile as beans, or a little better. Intact grains like brown rice, millet, quinoa = 500, beans ~ 600 cal/lb.

Cooked whole grains also contain plenty of water, they absorb the water they are cooking in. So you can still eat decent amounts of grains and not gain weight. There are populations all over the world eating starchy veggies like potatoes, yams, and grains and don't have the degenerative diseases we have. Or the weight problems.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/the-...ght-management/
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 18:43

Plan: Basic LCHF
Stats: 250/180/180 Male 68 inches
BF:38%/14%/14%
Progress: 100%

Then you should say wheat berry; not "whole grain"; at least in the US, whole grain is defined such that "Whole Wheat Flour" is "whole" in any common or government usage.

Whole wheat flour is absolutely 1500 kcal/pound, and you can get very, very fat eating it.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Jan-28-13, 21:27

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Quote:

A couple years ago I tried overfeeding--five thousand calories a day. I normally eat under half of that. I meant to do it for a couple of weeks. I lost weight, but I only lasted three days. It was so nice to just eat to appetite again. (I think I probably gained weight over the three days, but lost water, but really have no way of knowing). It doesn't matter one bit how dense a food is. There's lots of short term studies--yes, people have overeaten fat in the short term when it's surreptitiously added to their food. Short-term don't matter. Who says the choice is to eat so many pounds of food? What makes weight of food the important metric? Who cares if it's denser, if it sates me? What matters is--will eating this diet make me fat? Will it make me lean? Will it make me healthier? For a lot of people, the answers are no, yes, and yes, respectively. Why discourage them? Y'know?
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 02:11
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

Quote:

This person is not eating fat yet the weight is "piling on" :

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/v...php?f=1&t=34394

They are also spouting the same crap about calorie density to her despite the fact she'd just come from a high fat paleo diet where she hadn't gained weight. It's not an uncommon story so why do you pretend it doesn't happen?
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-29-13, 05:48

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Tom Naughton added a good blog post last night about vegans, which has some relevance to this discussion. Why would anyone assume the two people who wrote they gained sixty pounds were overeating fats, oils, sugars, etc?. No, I was on the Cancer Project Diet...extremely clean eating. But it did include oatmeal, bulgar, quinoa, legumes etc to create meals with protein, and I got fat and sick.

Quote:
The True Believer currently trolling the comments section on the video desperately needs to believe that eating animal protein makes people fat and sick.~ He also desperately needs to believe that nobody ever got fat or sick on a vegetarian diet.~ So he (could be a she, but I’m going with he) simply ignores the actual video, which clearly shows how much leaner I am now than I was in my 30s – when I was a vegetarian.~ He also ignores the before-and-after pictures I put in the video.

One of those before-and-after shots is of a reader and occasional commenter named Rae.~ Here’s part of what Rae wrote when she sent me those pictures.

I wanted you to know now I’ve lost nearly 80 lbs since Fat Head made me re-think everything I had ever learned about food and nutrition. I wish it had been around 10 years ago so I wouldn’t have wasted my 20s being an obese depressed vegetarian.

An obese vegetarian?~ Eighty pounds lighter now after going low-carb?~ No, no, no, that doesn’t happen.~ Just ask the True Believer.

More appropriate comments here:
http://www.fathead-movie.com/index....le-hate-vegans/