Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Nutrition & Supplements
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 16:11

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%
Default I'm doing Gelatin!

Just got my 1 pound bag of NOW beef gelatin.

Put a tablespoonful in my mouth and washed it down with cold herbal tea. Mmmm, that's some weird stuff! But it's not that bad; this means I can take it anytime.

I discovered this article by Dana Carpender of the Hold the Toast site:

Gelatin is blowing my mind

My husband and I were both fond of low carb jello, but the thought of the aspartame, flavors, and dyes really bothered us, and we gave it up.

I'm willing to follow the line of reasoning: our ancestors ate every part of the animal, including boiling up the gristly bits. Making soup from real bones gives us gelatin, also the dishes in aspic that used to be popular. Gelatin gives us back the full spectrum of amino acids.

So let's try this thing.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-26-12, 17:23

Plan: High protein/HIIT
Stats: 234/197/174 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 62%
Default Just made some moose bone broth

I've been eating moose and caribou for years, but we always boiled up the bones for the sled dogs. I finally figured out (duh) with my new WOE that the dogs do not need the bone broth, I do! The taste is intense and I add a lot salt, but I know it must be good for me. Not to mention local, organic, and the right price.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 10:06

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Powdered beef gelatin is good (I just got a 5 lb bag myself), but the powdered stuff + bone broth is better, in my experience. Check out the most recent entry in my journal for the details.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 10:18
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I always save the bits of chicken I don't eat and make broth out of them.

I'll give the gelatin a try with the before bedtime thing. Can't hurt.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 08:59
Experimenter

BF:

How's the gelatin therapy going? I just started yesterday. I think maybe Dana might have had an out-sized placebo effect, I can't tell if it is doing anything.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 17:18

BF:

I am one week into it. I've been taking it always once a day, sometimes twice a day, almost a tablespoonful each time.

Now, I was fighting off a cold thing the week previous, and I've been feeling better and better this whole week, but that might be the thing going away.

And I don't have my hip bothering me as much as it usually does.

And I've stopped the MSM I was taking for my arthritis (stopped taking my NSAIDS when I went gluten-free; that was a dramatic improvement) to see how the gelatin does, and I am not in any more pain that I was. Also, I can sense "activity" in my thumbs, which is not a bad thing.

Also, I cut up some mostly defrosted chicken breasts, and usually handling something so cold for so long would have resulted in complaints... but not a peep.

So I am cautiously impressed.

Also giving it to my cats, and it seems like my 16 year old cat is happier; that I'm keeping a lookout on, too.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 18:17
Experimenter

BF:

I had sore thumbs today for the first time in ages. :\
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 18:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

I ordered some bulk from Amazon. If nothing else, my cats will benefit, big time! lol
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 21:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I had sore thumbs today for the first time in ages. :\

Bummer.

I had wondered that Dana might have had a great response because she was deficient in some way? I have a friend with chemical sensitivity, and glycine (one of the things in gelatin) does WONDERS for her. Don't know if I would have the same reaction since I didn't have the same problem.

Also, I have been eating small dinners lately; but that might have been the cold.

Will stay alert.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 21:46
Experimenter

BF:

It is kind of nice to eat a big bowl of wiggly stuff right before bed.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Oct-05-12, 23:01

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

...i wanna join you guys little gelatin club...

Plus, how do you give it to your cats. I have a cat that is more important to me than...me.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 04:59

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
Plus, how do you give it to your cats. I have a cat that is more important to me than...me.

I sprinkle it on their wet food and mash it in.

The whole "complete amino acids" thing gave me the idea; who would need it more than an obligate carnivore?

And the sixteen year old cat, James Bond, moves a little slow sometimes. Thinking arthritis; which vets are not super helpful over. They are glucosamine fans, true, but it never did anything for me.
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 08:49
Experimenter

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tragedian
...i wanna join you guys little gelatin club...

Just now I heard a noise in the living room and one of my cats was licking the gelatin encrusted lid from a container. So I put some gelatin (powder) on my hand and he went crazy for it. I think this may be an easy way to get more liquid into him! He's not a water drinker at all and that has caused issues with urinary crystals.

Now I need a way to get more taurine into him. That gets destroyed with cooking, so I'd imagine it isn't in gelatin. I have some taurine capsules but the powder inside is kind of nasty tasting so he won't take much before he turns his food down.
  #14   ^
Old Sat, Oct-06-12, 10:33

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I sprinkle it on their wet food and mash it in.

The whole "complete amino acids" thing gave me the idea; who would need it more than an obligate carnivore?

And the sixteen year old cat, James Bond, moves a little slow sometimes. Thinking arthritis; which vets are not super helpful over. They are glucosamine fans, true, but it never did anything for me.

Do you give them a tbs a day?

Also, I have a 10 yr old cat and a 18 mo old. When I adopted the younger, I started them on canned food only. That was HARD for the older one, she was addicted to the dry. Now she has lost 2.5 pounds and is RUNNING and CLIMBING again! They are indoor cats but i have towers for them and she is using them again! I also started giving her natural treats with glucosamine in them. I agree, it never helped me, but hey! It is so much fun to see her running from and after the younger kitty now. I will do anything to help them feel good. LOL

Oh and Nancy, I ordered a small table fountain. I looked and looked for one that I liked and the cats could drink from. I am going to keep in on the floor here by me and their food dishes, along with their regular water dishes.
http://www.lampsplus.com/products/t...ain__56907.html
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Oct-12-12, 09:20
Experimenter

BF:

That's cute. I got one made for pets out of plastic. It is easy to clean in the dishwasher. It gets pretty slimy and kind of clogged with fur after a week or two. Hopefully yours is easy to clean too.