Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Emotional Issues & Body Image
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 15:09

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I never had a sponsor but, you could ask her. Calling early and often seems appropriate at the beginning while you are getting to know each other.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, Oct-10-12, 16:16

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I was told by someone else that she's not the chatty type I'm worried about bothering her if theres no emergency.
  #63   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-12, 11:43

BF:

I fell off plan on Tuesday. I don't know why, but we were traveling and it was just really easy to say, "screw it" and eat what I wanted. I don't recal binging, you know, crazy stuffing my mouth full till you could roll me down the road. But I did eat junk food and I ate, bread. . . shhh. . . .

I am trying to get back on plan today. ITs so easy to lie to myself and keep starting tomorrow. But I want to get back onto plan, so, I had a good breakfast and sticking with it.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-12, 12:54

Plan: Atkins, sort of
Stats: 184/166/152 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 56%

You are doing so well. Don't beat yourself up. It'll be OK. Just keep on trucking and you'll get to where you're going.
  #65   ^
Old Fri, Oct-19-12, 06:57

BF:

I didn't stick with it so, I'm getting my breakfast, and planning to stay out of the house today.
  #66   ^
Old Thu, Oct-25-12, 20:24

BF:

I have been off plan and binging for a few week. I feel like crap and have stopped eating normal food in favore of junk food. I haven't even been eating meals, just junk.

I need and want to get on plan, but I tell you, it sucks sometimes. It feels so good to eat the junk food and eat what I want and what everyone else eats.

I don't want to gain weight though, I still have weight to loose and this is a permanent battle that I have to go through.
  #67   ^
Old Fri, Oct-26-12, 03:59

BF:

It must be really tough. But when you say junk, what do you mean exactly?

It sounds like the classic lure of wheat addiction. Maybe you could try just cutting out wheat. I know even that is hard, but it would be a good place to start.
  #68   ^
Old Sun, Oct-28-12, 12:53

BF:

I don't really crave wheat products, I don't care to eat bread. When I say junk, I mean ice cream, choc covered peanuts, pure sugar candy (orange slices or twizzlers) monster cookies and occasionally donuts. I think its more about getting my carb fix, when I'm stressed, or bored.

I will not give up! I went the the OA meeting, I was the only one there I did binge on the way home, and into the evening. Today, I have been eating on plan. Bf has been with me all morning and I've been busy catching up on house work. Right now, I'm eating a fried chicken thigh.
This first week is going to be tough, you would think by now, I would run screaming from carbs. But no, I go to them like a familiar voice in the dark.
  #69   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 07:07

BF:

That is very eloquently put. There must be something in the brain that makes people crave things that way. I am no medic or psychologist or anything like that but I am much more drawn towards the explanations of human behaviour that lie in our brain chemistry and endochrine system and all that than the ones (like Freud) that focus on childhood and trauma and stuff, though I don't for a minute deny that they can play a part. Maybe I am just scared to go there.
Obviously the wheat thing is not the whole story. There is a sugar thing, too. Whatever makes us eat a whole bar of chocolate instead of just one square. It's like a consolation.
I am afraid I don't have anything helpful to say but I am impressed by your clear sightedness and I am confident that you will overcome the problem. It's important not to be bored, though easier said than done! :-)
  #70   ^
Old Mon, Oct-29-12, 09:36

BF:

There is a good explanation of the connection between sugar and endorphins in "Potatoes not Prozac.' What happens when we are out of balance is, our brains have upregulated endorphin receptors, which means there's a lot of them waiting to be fed our usual dose of junk- er i mean, things that raise endorphins, like sugar, wheat. Then when you abruptly quit junk, the receptors scream. That is craving.
  #71   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-12, 07:33

BF:

I have been at induction level carbs for 2 full days now. Amazingly, yesterday went along easily. Tonight is trick-or-treating for us, thankfully, BF puts it all away in his lock box and I forget it there (because I can't get into it). He forgets its there also, hence, he still hand candy for last Holloween in there I have him keep it out of sight, it helps everyone in the long run.

I am sitting here eating my bland 3 scrambled eggs, I'm out of bacon, and sausage turned my stomach yesterday morning. Going to have left over fried chicken for lunch and throwing a small partial rack of ribs and a couple round steaks in the crock pot. They are for a late supper after trick-or-treating fun.

I've got to make sure I get everything done today before the kids get home from school. Chores, breed a bunny, mow the front yard, hang sheets on the line and chores again. I usually sit on the computer for a while, waiting for it to warm up a bit.

I am going to start lifting weights again, starting next week. I don't want to drag myself down after switching to burning fat. Could get u-g-l-y!

You know, most of the time when I loose my marbles and get junk food, I don't even realize I'm doing it till I've already gotten a couple bites in. By that point it would take a big man to get that spoon or cookie away from me, (BF can give me a look and I'll drop it all that quick, LOL!) Its kinda like I'm sleep walking or a dream, I do it, but it doesn't theroughly register in my brain what I'm doing. I believe something called an "outer body experiance."

SeeJay, my therapist hasn't offered me any "happy pills" yet. I've seen her once and see her again on the 13th, and every 2 weeks after that. I do think meds will help me, if thats the recepters screaming for their fix. I don't think they are going to care where they are getting it from as long as there happy. I heard Wellbutrin is great for this kind of thing, Anorexia is a side effect I couldn't emagine myself having that issue!
  #72   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 08:25

BF:

Ladies, I am really happy to report that I have not binged in a full month, today. Not saying I was in ketosis the whole time, I wasn't. OVer thanksgiving, I ate all LC foods, but when I added it up one day, I ate right at 50 carbs. I did the same the next day and my weight was up for a few days. Sat. was my sons birthday party, he wanted a meal out of finger foods. There was a meat and cheese platter, kalboska sausages (cut up and fried), veggie platter, pickles, spinach dip (LC), crackers, mixed nuts, oranges and grapes. I did eat way to much, so easy to do at them family events. The fruit was left out because the boys were still nibbling on it throught the day, so I started grazing too. STUPID, I know, but I grazed on fruit all afernoon. It wasn't a binge (If I'm wrong tell me), there was no desperation to eat, I wasn't shoving it in like it would be my last mea. I didn't feel ashamed about what I was doing, I didn't ever have the urge to run to the gas station and get more junk food, not even the next day.

My weight only krept up 3 lbs the next morning, I did have awful tummy bloat, I ate 5 crackers durring the meal, really stupid. Still, I have no cravings or desires to go off plan.

Last night I was thinking onion rings would be good. I love onion rings! So, I made them ith crushed pork rinds, had to double dip them to get enough pork rinds to stick, but they were good. Took care of that "onion" need and didn't have to watch them eat fries and feel left out. My oldest wanted seconds on the onion rings, what was left was to be for me, since I was still cooking while they were eating. BF gave him one of mine Sam wasn't happy but I was happy to have my semi cold onion rings with fried pork chops.

Could I be changing some how? I even baked sugar cookies the other night, tasted one pea sized amount to test. Didn't eat any more, frosted them last night, had the "urge" to lick my finger when I got frosting on it. I refrained and washed when I was done. Put the cookies away when they were dry. I don't want them sticking around for long, most can go to the farm. Theres also ice cream in the house from the party, it hasn't called my name either.

My therapist says I'm not crazy, she doesn't think I need drugs, she says I need to spend more time with my rabbits and less time in the house. More time working out and less time being bored, and take up sewing again to keep me busy. She was pleased when I made it 3 weeks, she kept taking about it taking 3-6 weeks to change a habit.

I do believe if I'm to stay "changed" I will forever have to keep from sugary junk food and limit those fruits. It is the sugary junk food that calls me, not grains or fruit. With the fruit, it wasn't really the sweetness I liked about them, the oranges weren't sweet, LOL! A tad crunchy, they had the wet feeling in my mouth. I liked the gooshy, wet in my mouth after the crunch, kinda funny! Even the grapes weren't that sweet, the ones I had 2 days before were really sweet!

So I'm done rambling, I made it 4 weeks without binging and going monster nutty. I am back into ketosis after Saturdays fun with fruit, and not having any problems with cravings.
  #73   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 10:53

BF:

Congratulations! that is a huge accomplishment. the results of day after day of attention

And I think your body can be changing too, so the hit you get is flattened out when you aren't constantly hopped up on the sugary junk. The more you eat the junk, the more your body is tilted to want more of it, duh. So staying away helps you stay away (I know, how circular and unfair, LOL)
  #74   ^
Old Tue, Dec-18-12, 21:17

BF:

I do seem to want to eat more as of late, but I don't crave junk food. I'm eating cheeses, bacons, and the normal meal foods. I wonder if my huge appetite is due the fact that I've been god awful sick the past week. Constant, crouping, hack, followed by a very painful sore throat, sinas drainage and flim coming up from my chest. I'm a mess! I never did slow down though, today we shoveled gravel in front of my barn and lime on the floor under the rabbit cages.

https://www.facebook.com/jackis.barn go here, you can see what I raise! Love the bunnies!!!!

I need to get back into my 2 meals a day plan if I'm going to hit my goal weight for christmas. Don't see that happening but my goal to stay binge free just may work out
  #75   ^
Old Wed, Dec-19-12, 04:37

BF:

I'm sorry to her you have been ill. I hope you're OK now and in good shape for the holidays.

We'll all feel super motivated again after the festive season, I'm sure, whether we decide to let go a little or try to hang on. Either way, have a lovely time.