Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-13, 18:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 251.9/179.8/160 Female 5'6 inches
BF:43%/40%/31%/28.8%
Progress: 78%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
"WW Influenced"...not "following WW currently". It's really interesting to hear folks on both the forums (WW, here). Nobody here seems to know anyone who's successful dieting another way. Nobody there knows anybody who's been successful at LC.

Thing is...study's show that all diet plans are dismal failures. Those of you who have been successful and kept the weight off (there, and here) are far and away exceptions.

And just like this board, their board is full of folks each week returning "I fell off the wagon, regained all my weight and a good deal more". People like me.

It's why I didn't jump straight to LC this time, because I had done it twice and failed to stick with it twice. But now I have some new tools that have me losing weight, and my interest in LC has sprang back up.

No mistake, though...I've been losing eating a boatload of carbs. If carbs were the only feature of weightloss, then I couldn't have lost weight. Calories do matter.

This week I've been home (I normally travel), and my carbs have been under 10% of my daily eating. I just realize that I've learned valuable lessons from my stint with WW, just as I had with my past stint with Atkins.

Will I stick with it for life? I sure hope so. But I hoped so in the past too. The tools I've kept with me from WW should help. We will see. I still have 80lbs to drop before I'm going to be worried about lifetime maintenance.

It's not just WW or L/C every forum for every diet has this lol but i think you are right. People who say WW didn't work for them, it's because they didn't stick with it... the same with L/C if you don't stick with it you gain the weight plain and simple. You can't say WW doesn't work for you if you aren't still doing it, it didn't work because you aren't doing it lol. Any diet that controls your protions/calories/carbs will work if you stick with it, if you stall switch it up a little but everything comes down to will-power and self-control. Without the desire to stick with it, you won't. Good luck i'm so happy for you and congrats on the progress!
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Fri, Jan-11-13, 19:18

Plan: Mostly Fung/IDM
Stats: 165/138.4/135 Female 63
BF:???/better/???
Progress: 89%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KristyRusi
People who say WW didn't work for them, it's because they didn't stick with it... the same with L/C if you don't stick with it you gain the weight plain and simple.

I would agree with that statement and would add that for many of us sticking with LC is easy, and sticking with WW is almost impossible. My feeling, supported by many low carb authors, is that LC works WITH our biochemistry. Low insulin levels means stored body fat is able to be released to be used as fuel, so we don't need to eat as much. When we eat high carb and our bodies don't process it well, we are unable to access the stored body fat and end up eating more food, mostly carbs, to keep us going..

Apart from an over-reliance on processed foods, I have no problem with people doing Weight Watchers. However, if your body does not process carbs well, it's going to be a struggle. If your body knows how to process carbs well, and you're just as happy with processed foods as with fresh foods you prepare yourself, it may be fine.

Last edited by Liz53 : Fri, Jan-11-13 at 20:31.
  #33   ^
Old Sat, Jan-12-13, 18:57

Plan: Atkins/Rosedale
Stats: 475/442/225 Male 6' 3"
BF:
Progress:

This study shows that insulin sensitive people lose about the same amount on low calorie vs low carb diets, but people who are insulin resistant lose much more weight on a low carb diet.(Around 44 min mark)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRE...4631EC2900D09A1