Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 06:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Nobody denies WW works. I've known lots of people who lost weight on it. While the scale is going down, they stick with it.

Maintenance is a whole other story. I have not known a single one of them to keep it off. They can diet on WW; they cannot live on it.

And there's your problem.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 10:02

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/220/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress:

I've done both, and find LC works better for me, but to each his own. Congrats on your success! I will say that as I got closer to goal (the first time I LC'd before putting it back on), the more I had to watch my calorie/fat intake. I still ate more fat than the typical low-fat diet, but as the Eades' say, calories count, too. Just chiming in to say that you may want to be prepared to make some adjustments, if necessary, as you get closer to your goal.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 12:50

Plan: LCHF - my way
Stats: 309/233.2/194 Male 6'2"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenella
I've done both, and find LC works better for me, but to each his own. Congrats on your success! I will say that as I got closer to goal (the first time I LC'd before putting it back on), the more I had to watch my calorie/fat intake. I still ate more fat than the typical low-fat diet, but as the Eades' say, calories count, too. Just chiming in to say that you may want to be prepared to make some adjustments, if necessary, as you get closer to your goal.

Thanks...and you're right. Have to adjust as I lose because the level of eating that I can lose weight on at 309 is not the level of eating that I can lose weight on at 265...and so on down to my goal of 179.

Lee

Last edited by leebase : Thu, Aug-02-12 at 14:08.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 16:29

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
Nobody denies WW works. I've known lots of people who lost weight on it. While the scale is going down, they stick with it.

Maintenance is a whole other story. I have not known a single one of them to keep it off. They can diet on WW; they cannot live on it.

And there's your problem.

That has been my observation too, WereBear. I work with two girls who lost a lot of weight (40lbs) on WW. I was so envious of them. Then I started lc-ing and caught up with them. For the last 8 months I've been maintaining without difficulty and they are both fat again. It's a great pity it didn't last for them. I know that's only two people, oh and I also lost with WW many years ago but regained. A dozen of the women in my WW group at that time were returning, having lost and regained in the past. I'm not saying NOBODY loses permanently on WW but apart from the group leader I've never even heard of anyone else who lost weight and kept it off for any substantial length of time. In a way it makes sense since WW has been going a long time, and continues to turn a profit. If they mostly had permanent successes they'd be a long way toward solving the obesity crisis by now.

Lee, having said all that, WW might indeed be the perfect solution for you. I hope so. We'd all like to see you succeed whatever way works for you. Keep us posted.
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 17:44

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

I have a friend who lost 80 lbs on WW 3 years ago and she's lost even more weight while on maintennance. Only thing is, she eats tons of low calorie junk food and she looks a bit like a walking corpse. But she's thin, so I guess you could call her a success story.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 18:31

BF:

"WW Influenced"...not "following WW currently". It's really interesting to hear folks on both the forums (WW, here). Nobody here seems to know anyone who's successful dieting another way. Nobody there knows anybody who's been successful at LC.

Thing is...study's show that all diet plans are dismal failures. Those of you who have been successful and kept the weight off (there, and here) are far and away exceptions.

And just like this board, their board is full of folks each week returning "I fell off the wagon, regained all my weight and a good deal more". People like me.

It's why I didn't jump straight to LC this time, because I had done it twice and failed to stick with it twice. But now I have some new tools that have me losing weight, and my interest in LC has sprang back up.

No mistake, though...I've been losing eating a boatload of carbs. If carbs were the only feature of weightloss, then I couldn't have lost weight. Calories do matter.

This week I've been home (I normally travel), and my carbs have been under 10% of my daily eating. I just realize that I've learned valuable lessons from my stint with WW, just as I had with my past stint with Atkins.

Will I stick with it for life? I sure hope so. But I hoped so in the past too. The tools I've kept with me from WW should help. We will see. I still have 80lbs to drop before I'm going to be worried about lifetime maintenance.
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Aug-02-12, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

It's wonderful to find what works for you, whatever you're eating. I'm another who doesn't lose by lowering calories. I do better if I consciously raise the calories actually, and closely control the carbs, being particularly careful in the morning, and not eating too many at once.
  #23   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 20:12

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase

If fat replaces sugar for your energy, you can still take in too much fat such that your body will store it. I still think you need an energy deficit to lose weight.

To me, the beauty of low carb is that you DON'T over eat when you are eatin low carb. Your body doesn't crave any more than it needs. Watch people eat a steak dinner. They get seconds on potatos, on bread, on sugary drinks. But on steak? Rarely. No matter how good it was.
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 21:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
To me, the beauty of low carb is that you DON'T over eat when you are eatin low carb. Your body doesn't crave any more than it needs. Watch people eat a steak dinner. They get seconds on potatos, on bread, on sugary drinks. But on steak? Rarely. No matter how good it was.

You make a good point. A LC diet leads a good many people to eat less calories due to satiety. But they still lose weight due to the calorie deficit, they just have a different and perhaps better method (surely for some) way of getting lower calories.

So it's the calorie deficit that is the cause of weight loss. That's how I've lost weight week after week eating 4 times the carbs...because I maintained a calorie deficit. I'm moving to lower carb for the health reasons. There is more to this journey than losing weight.

Lee
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Aug-05-12, 23:44

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 267/160.8/170 Female 5feet7inches
BF:
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebase
You make a good point. A LC diet leads a good many people to eat less calories due to satiety. But they still lose weight due to the calorie deficit, they just have a different and perhaps better method (surely for some) way of getting lower calories.

So it's the calorie deficit that is the cause of weight loss. That's how I've lost weight week after week eating 4 times the carbs...because I maintained a calorie deficit. I'm moving to lower carb for the health reasons. There is more to this journey than losing weight.

Lee

I'm not so sure. Calories play a role, but for me personally I was unable to lose on a low-fat, high "healthywholegrain" carb diet. No matter how little I ate. At 1300 calories a day I was MISERABLE, starving, and GAINING weight. Now, 2000 calories in a day won't phase me as long as they are quality fat and protien. I also weigh 70 pounds less, meaning I should need fewer calories. I don't know...calories mean something, but they are certainly not the whole picture.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 03:53

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

The appeal of WW has come to mean; anything you want, only in controlled portions. And I've come to realize for some people, it is just that simple; you give them a slice of cake, they eat the slice. You give them a cake, they eat the cake.

You tell them how many points, how many calories, this box of food and no more; and they can do that. They might truly feel that 100 calorie package of choco-paste and puffed grains is a treat; I can't, but they can. They don't want to live without "treats" and so they do WW.

I would love to have that slice and be done with it. But something is woken up from that slice, and it wants another. And no matter what I do, it will keep driving me back to take another slice, until the whole cake is gone.

That's how the body I've got, works. And that doesn't work. What does work, (and I am amazed and grateful,) is not having that slice at all.

I've decided fatty foods like real Alfredo sauce and chuck steak and blue cheese dressing and Bearnaise sauce and tender BBW ribs and lobster in butter and bacon are my treats.

And those are things a WW person tends to not have.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 05:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/262/205 Male 6' 1
BF:waaay tooo much
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
I would love to have that slice and be done with it. But something is woken up from that slice, and it wants another. And no matter what I do, it will keep driving me back to take another slice, until the whole cake is gone.

That's how the body I've got, works. And that doesn't work. What does work, (and I am amazed and grateful,) is not having that slice at all.

You've just described me to a T.

I low carbed for 4 years without even flinching....until ONE piece of pie...(what can it hurt?)

I fell off of the wagon for 3 years and almost 100 lbs...

Not having the slice is crucial for me.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 06:25

Plan: Low carb Paleo
Stats: 294/292/175 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Sadly, its exactly the same for me. One bite of sugary carb food and I simply cannot stop. For me its like an alcoholic having just one drink or a drug addict having just one fix and then falling off the wagon for who knows how long. Once an addict, always an addict. Not having the slice is crucial for me, too.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Aug-06-12, 08:58

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

You'd think I'd learn by now but.....no. The other day I quite deliberately decided to 'treat' myself to one of my co-workers M&M's. Several handfuls later.... Seriously, the only thing that stopped me was that it was time to go home! This scenario has played itself out before and the weird thing is that I don't even find them truly delicious or something. No, when it comes to sugar and starch my body doesn't want just one of anything. Thankfully, I rarely test myself like this because it frightens me that one day I won't be able to pull back for three years like rpavich. The 'have anything you like in moderation' rule simply cannot apply to some people, like me.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Jan-10-13, 00:51
Registered Member

Plan: Somewhat Atkins
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

More power to you for finding a diet that works for you. People are so different in terms of food preferences, metabolism, fat distribution, underlying medical conditions, etc... So of course there is no one perfect diet that applies to everyone. What matters is that you find what works for you.