Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-12, 15:00

Plan: Keto/ProperHumanDiet
Stats: 154.0/120.0/120.0 Female  5'4"
BF:==%
Progress: 100%
Default rest day...

A rest day from running today...my goal has been to do a run at least 4 days a week...have done three. Will run tomorrow and start the week again Sunday...I need those break days inbetween running days to get over my soreness...I had a three week break before I started again last Sunday so I've been really SORE this week....I know that once I get into a consistent routine that soreness will go away for the most part if I take my progress slow....
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Oct-18-12, 18:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%

Hi Meg,
I moved to Michigan from Iowa in 2007, and the first few winters here seemed much worse than the Iowa winters, even though Iowa gets pretty cold. The Michigan winter seems to last longer and there is a little more snow. I used to enjoy running in the winter, so it should be ok. I definitely prefer running outside to running on the treadmill.
I do like riding indoors and I like using “Spinervals” DVDs, which are like having a spinning class in your living room. I try to get in 4-5 days of cardio a week. My husband and I go to a gym for weight training too. I was diagnosed with osteoporosis this year (menopausal) so I am trying to build back my bone density.
Running is great for helping with weight. I want to stay at my present weight too. It’s not hard with the exercise.
My husband runs also, although we don’t usually run together. There is a small group here that I have met, and I’ve volunteered for some of their events. They are pretty fast, but maybe I can find a group of women who are closer to my pace.

Thanks so much for the encouragement! Keep in touch and have a great weekend!
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Nov-26-12, 17:04

Default Again...

Again, I don't know why on earth I went so long since my last walk/jog......No excuses....I just have to make friends with my treadmill so when the weather is bad I'll get my 30 min. in inside the house...and then there are all of the other days that the weather was beautiful out....Won't think about that, starting with just today....The thing about exercise is that when I have big gaps inbetween runs my recovery time is so much more difficult. And as someone who definitely suffers from Seasonal Affective Disorder I know that I need the endorphin boost especially in the winter to keep my mental and emotional outlook good...My new outlook about my walk/jogs is that I'm not going to ratchet it up so much..in other words I'll stay at Day #1, then to Day #2 and then back to Day #1..(comfy for me with those days but if I go past that I get too discouraged) on my Galloway phone app workout...Today I did Day #1, 2.20 miles, ratio set at 1 min. walk/1 min. jog...did 31:20 minutes at a 14 min. mile, burned 213 calories. It was beautiful out, about 50 degrees, clear and sunny, worked up a good sweat...but I concentrated on a relaxing workout, kept my abs pulled in...and I never get tired of my Katy Perry and Black Eyed Peas music..over and over. I don't plan to sign up for any fun runs for 2013, at least that's how I feel right now. Don't need the pressure. Another goal is to start doing my little t-tapp workouts, only takes 15 min. to do and the stretches are so beneficial to me. I get discouraged when I increase my training distance with my walk/jogs and try to increase the times and then quit altogether...with my osteoarthritis and my potential for low back muscle strain I just intend to get in my walk/jog at least four times a week for 30 minutes and I should be doing my t-tapp every day. My problem is that I'm very goal oriented and I want to climb a mountain and keep increasing that goal but I overdo.....For today I feel very good that I got out and did what I did today.......wish I had someone that lived out here that could go with me, I'm thinking seriously about adopting a running partner dog! Ssshhhhh....don't tell the hub.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Nov-29-12, 18:16

Default 3 days later...

Three days later...our rain storms blew in so not good weather for an outdoor jog...did some stretching and let my back rest and finally got on the treadmill for a good 30 minute jog/walk this afternoon, was able to easily keep my ratio using the treadmill timer...watched a good movie and it wasn't so bad. Worked up a good sweat and felt like I did something....Just need to be consistent from now on and on the days inbetween runs get my ttapp in. Am going to move my bicycle into the living room and put it up on the trainer...good thing to have in the winter.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-12, 14:35

Default Did it....

I think I found the perfect combo for my 30 minute workouts indoors when the weather is bad! I almost got my 'gear' on and ventured outside for my 30 minute run, the wind had slowed to just little gusts, the sun is out and it's a freakish 64 degrees...black stormy clouds blowing through with little rain storms...before I could get back out the door the wind came blowing in with a vengeance....no way I could run in that! I'd probably get killed by a giant tumbleweed sailing thru the air as they do up here. Came back in and did 20 minutes of ttapp, then some stretches, then 15 min. run on the treadmill. It was perfect and a goal is to get a ttapp workout in at least three times a week...the treadmill time went by fast and wasn't tortuous like it usually is for me. So at least three times a week I'll do ttapp anyway, and the days I can't get out for a run I'll combine the two. Dragged my bicycle out of the garage and dusted it off, set it up in the living room...need to pump the tires up still and adjust the tension on the trainer. Haven't been on it since my cervical neck fusion so not sure how I'll react to it but maybe two times a week I can just give it a try for 5 minutes or so...and I like having it in the living room staring at me for motivation...
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-12, 21:31
Registered Member

That sounds like a great workout Meg!

It's nice that you have a bike trainer and a treadmill to work with when you can't get outside.

Keep up the good work

Judy
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 17:10

Default Good workout....

After much contemplation about how to go about getting my workout in today and after almost putting on my thermals and layering myself all up I opted to get on the treadmill and put on a good movie instead of venturing outside to jog on top of the snow and ice..it's very bright and pretty outside today but just so cold...Got a good walk/jog in on the TM and then rolled right into my T-Tapp workout....Perfect workout for me...also got some good stretching in....With my arthritis and this horribly cold weather we're having I've come to terms with having more realistic workout goals for myself...no more unrealistic goals with my running...it's just a feel good thing for me and a way to get the endorphins going, keep any SAD away not only this winter but any time of the year...and maintain my weight. Once I get my body moving I just feel so good mentally and emotionally and knowing that will happen is a motivator for me...I put my 30,000 lux wonderful 'Alaska Northern Lights' Sunbox two feet from the treadmill and just let it wash over me today while I worked out...Buying my 'sun' 10 years ago was one of the best investments I've ever made. I really want to be consistent with my exercising...now that the holidays are almost over it's a time to renew my resolve....it all works together, food plan, exercise, meditation and spiritual growth....I'm totally happy with my new Asic running shoes that were my xmas present...got them the day after xmas at Scheel's at a nicely marked down price and I love getting a bargain....I have a wide foot and I want a good comfy shoe with lots of toe room and a good tread cuz I run on dirt when I'm outside but I don't like to spend a fortune on shoes tho I want a good quality shoe. I usually have them for a couple of years. Couldn't be happier with the choice this time...my worn out shoes are Asics too and I think I'll stick with the Asic brand....I said I wasn't going to plan on doing any Fun Runs in 2013 but I've changed my mind and am going to set a goal for next October for our local marathon to do the 10K run again...I should be able to manage a 6.2 mi. run comfortably by that time....I like having a goal. Here's to being consistent and getting my workout in tomorrow...
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-31-12, 19:13
Registered Member

Hi Meg

Just wanted to stop in and wish you a Happy New Year! Good luck with all of your goals for 2013

BTW-I just bought a Phillips Go-Lite to help with the lack of sunshine around here this time of year. I've only used it a few days but I think I can notice a difference in how I feel. I'll have to take a look at the one you have, that might be something for me to look at in the future.

Take care,

Judy
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-13, 11:06

Default Hi Judy!

Happy New Year to you too!! Here's to new motivation and some really good running moments along the way! When I read your post and the sun light box you got I realized how long I've had mine, (12 years!) and did a little research wondering if mine had become outdated but the company I got it from is still making the same version...I was mistaken on the lux amount, it emits 10,000...I was thinking it was 30,000 which I don't think they even make...anyway, I really use it every winter, 30 min. every morning and it makes a huge difference for me. I got it when I lived up on the coast and we'd have days of endless rain and no sun....I was in such bad shape I went for the strongest sun box I could find! It's a 'North Star' 10,000 from 'Alaska Northern Lights'.....Have a great New Year's Day!!
Meg
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-13, 16:34

Default Ugghhh.....

Did a good 20 min. walk/jog on the TM....the sore muscles from the workout yesterday came screaming through so I didn't roll into another 15 min. of t-tapp...I'll take a day off from that today cuz even tho it doesn't seem like it really does much in a short 15 min. because of the positioning while doing the movements it's amazing how it works the muscles and tendons...learned from experience with t-tapp that every other day is enough. Goal tomorrow will be another walk/jog and t-tapp unless it's nice enough to get outside for a run...
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Jan-01-13, 18:03
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySage
Happy New Year to you too!! Here's to new motivation and some really good running moments along the way! When I read your post and the sun light box you got I realized how long I've had mine, (12 years!) and did a little research wondering if mine had become outdated but the company I got it from is still making the same version...I was mistaken on the lux amount, it emits 10,000...I was thinking it was 30,000 which I don't think they even make...anyway, I really use it every winter, 30 min. every morning and it makes a huge difference for me. I got it when I lived up on the coast and we'd have days of endless rain and no sun....I was in such bad shape I went for the strongest sun box I could find! It's a 'North Star' 10,000 from 'Alaska Northern Lights'.....Have a great New Year's Day!!
Meg

Hi Meg,
Thanks for the information. After I read your first post I went to Amazon to look for a 30,000 lux unit I wanted the strongest one possible

The 'Alaska Northern Lights' looks like a very good unit. If I upgrade next year I will check it out.

I really have a hard time in the winter with lack of sun exposure. Up to now I've just taken vitamin D and dealt with it, but I wanted to try a light box to see if it would help. The past couple of days I set it up in front of my spinning bike and used it while riding. It's still not the same as being outside in the summer but I'm hoping it will get me through.
  #27   ^
Old Sat, Jan-05-13, 15:02

Default Workout...

Got my treadmill walk/jog done and did T-tapp workout too....even got a good sweat going! 'It's only 30 minutes'....had to repeat my mantra over and over to get psyched up....don't know why it's so hard to get going sometimes....feels so good afterwards! Goal is to do 30 minutes a day...really need to get serious and consistent...
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-13, 09:01

Default stop that....

Pulled my body out of bed this morning with sore muscles and immediately said to myself 'this will be a break day with exercise'....what? I have to break those habits of jumping to an excuse to not exercise....with my arthritis and whatever my affliction is with the sore tendons and creaks and groans I have as I'm getting older I'm ALWAYS going to be sore, it doesn't matter if I exercise or not....I always groan when I get out of bed in the mornings......addition to my mantras needs to be 'My body and mind will feel better if I exercise'.....Doesn't look like our storm has arrived yet so goal today is to get outside if even for just a good brisk walk. Yes, I hate the treadmill, it's not set at an incline at all but it makes my neck ache the next day....waaaaa.....come HOHW I'm out the door today....even if I have to wear thermals and wrap my face up...
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Jan-06-13, 19:51

Default Good run...

Headed out the door this afternoon...still sunny but in the 30s...no wind tho. Put thermals on under my running pants and wore a warm sweatshirt...There was more snow in the field than I expected, a good 2 or 3 inches but it was powdery and dry...a little like running on the beach in sand. Did 2 miles of my Galloway program...looking at my workout history it was the end of November since I was last out in the field...it was warmer then. Note to self: I could have used another pair of socks, my toes were cold. I should have worn my running gloves. I forgot to take a kleenex for my runny nose. Don't need thermals, I didn't like the way it made my legs feel. Other than that it was a good workout.
  #30   ^
Old Wed, Jan-09-13, 18:16

Default Good workout...

After my nice run in the sun on Sunday I didn't exercise again until today...just have to stop doing that...oh well, at least I didn't wait a week or something....So got on the treadmill today and got in a good jog, then rolled into a t-tapp workout and stretching. It was a good 30 minute workout so I met my goal for today. Now just need to do it again tomorrow...