Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Gym Logs
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 10:30

Plan: Keto/ProperHumanDiet
Stats: 154.0/120.0/120.0 Female  5'4"
BF:==%
Progress: 100%
Default Frayed laces...

Would love to hear from others regarding their exercise programs and how they stay motivated!! My exercise of choice is my walk/jog (follower of the Jeff Galloway method of running). Having spent years thru the 90s and 2000s as a jogger (albeit sometimes sporadic) I returned to my love of jogging two years ago. I maintain my wt. (6 or 7 lbs. presently over my goal wt.) with my Somersizing way of eating that I love and my walk/jog and T-Tapp workouts which ends up being about 45 min. a day combined. I love to get out in the field across from my house and get my jog in on a dirt farm road (utilize the treadmill when it's bad weather). I'm trying to stay consistent and want to be more consistent with my workouts. Had a cervical fusion surgery in February so slow going but am gradually returning to regular exercise. Goal today is to get a 30 min. walk/jog in and then 15 min. of 0 impact T-Tapp.....Heading out shortly, luckily no wind here today but definitely warming up outside! Hope everyone has a good day and accomplishes all goals!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jul-22-12, 13:17

Default Yay!

Feel like I broke through my exercise mental block today...Just finished a 30 min. walk/jog (Day 1 of Jeff Galloway's 10k training app)...I've only been getting out there about once a week, the last being 2 wks. ago so my goal is to stay consistent and get in a workout at least 4 days out of my week. When I got home I did my 15 min. T-tapp basic workout which works out my arms (which are getting flabby), legs and back muscles...taking it easy on the neck moves until I'm better healed from my neck fusion. It's easy to forget how GOOD it feels to get my workout done for the day, stress reducer...and just fun! It was almost 90 out so I also worked up a good sweat! Hope everyone is having a great weekend and great workouts!!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-12, 15:42

Uuugghh...it took me 6 days to get back on my program...woke up the morning after my workout with a head/neck headache that continued for two days. Direct result of a little overdoing...5 mo. postop cervical fusion C5-7....trying to ease back into my walk/jogging so I know the drill and took the next few days to rest and heal. Walking is what my doctor says I'm supposed to do and my jog is barely a fast walk so it will just take time, that I know. Back at it today with 30 min. Day 2 of Galloway and 15 min. T-tapp basic workout (easy on the neck moves!)...feel good that I got it done and hopefully I'll wake up feeling good and get my Day 3 done!!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Sep-07-12, 07:21

Default Uugghh.....

At this point I'm doing absolutely NO exercising...this cold is taking it's time going away....at least our skies are almost clear from all of the wildfire smoke. Next week at the beach I intend to be jogging.....can't wait.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 17:53

Default Again...

Today I thought all day about exercising...I've read that when the mind is thinking about exercise it actually helps to prepare the body for the actual act of exercising.....My last exercise was eight days ago up on the coast...a beautiful walk/jog/run on the beach for 40 minutes...did Jeff Galloway phone app with my music...it was perfect. Was sore for about three days due to my lack of consistency.....
Today, finally this afternoon, I got my exercise clothes on and did my basic workout T-Tapp program....it felt so good to get my tendons and muscles stretched and moving. I'm going to make a big sign up where I can see it in the morning (probably on my bathroom mirror) and set my workout clothes out......I need to keep doing this.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Sep-24-12, 19:02

Default Musings on exercise....

Okay...I have a sign taped to my bathroom mirror...jogging clothes are layed out in the bathroom...I get up early and have every opportunity to get my critters fed, me fed, a little stretching and can be out the door by 6:45 a.m. while it's still cool...out across the road, over the fence and head down the dirt road on the ranch across the way. Just 30 minutes and I'm done...I'll do Day #1 of Jeff Galloway's 10K workout for beginners. I have it set at a one minute walk, one minute run which last time I did it eight days ago was perfect pacing. If I can ever be consistent like I should be hopefully I progress from Day #1 to Day #2!!! Somehow writing it down I hope will be motivation for me when I wake up in the morning.....
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-12, 13:09

Default Did it...

Got back out on the road finally this morning....finished up about an hour ago...it felt so good! My last run was about three weeks ago...weird low back issues this last couple of weeks happened from what I think was my little workout I do at home...so I'm going to lay off of that for a while. Love the Galloway program, ratio is set at 1 min. run/1 min. walk...my total distance was 2.06 miles, pace at 15.3 min/mi. which by most runner's terms is slow, for me is perfect. I like having Galloway talking in my ear reminding me to keep my posture, shoulders back, abs in...his voice on top of my favorite music is like having a personal trainer with me. The temp is already up to 66 after a chilly morning of 36, it's so pretty out. Down the driveway, across the road, over the fence and onto the dirt farm road along the edge of the big field. They did their last cutting of alfalfa a few days go so it's green and pungent while the rows are drying in the sun, they haven't baled it up yet. Only drawback about it being so dry out is the inch or so of very dusty dirt that gets into my shoes and socks...then when the road runs out it is a cut field but the edge is dry and stickery and some of the stickers made their way into my socks..ouch. I prefer running on dirt tho and it is also safer to be off the highway. I cut my running gear down to just my workout watch, Road ID bracelet, pepper spray velcro strapped in my left hand (for wayward mean dogs). My soft neoprene snap together gun holster is perfect, I don't even know it's there, just sits softly around my hips and has room for the iphone to slip into it. I ordered it a couple of months ago after much research on line and couldn't be happier with it. I carry a little 5 shot taurus for protection. Ever since the highschool teacher in Montana was kidnapped along side the road and murdered while she was out for her morning 30 minute jog last January I don't take any chances when I'm out by myself...I live in the middle of nowhere. I keep my CTC permit current and only carry it when I'm out running. I did a little stretching when I got home and my tailbone is a little sore so I'll have a good soak in the hot tub tonight! I'm off to the big city tomorrow morning for the day with a friend so no run for me but I think I'll treat myself to a new pair of running shoes while I'm there......My goal now is to make sure I get a good run in at least 4 days a week! Today was Day 1 of Galloway's 10K training program..I'll probably stick to the Day 1 program for a week and then progress. The last 10K fun run I did was a year ago this month here in our little town and then I had neck surgery in Feb. At this point I just want to get back into it for me....just glad to be back out there and won't mind if I don't do the fun runs again although it's so fun to meet other likeminded people and get a cool T or sweatshirt...maybe this next year.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Oct-14-12, 20:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, BFFM, BFL
Stats: 130/113/112 Female 64
BF:20%/17%/15%
Progress: 94%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySage
Got back out on the road finally this morning....finished up about an hour ago...it felt so good! My last run was about three weeks ago...weird low back issues this last couple of weeks happened from what I think was my little workout I do at home...so I'm going to lay off of that for a while. Love the Galloway program, ratio is set at 1 min. run/1 min. walk...my total distance was 2.06 miles, pace at 15.3 min/mi. which by most runner's terms is slow, for me is perfect. I like having Galloway talking in my ear reminding me to keep my posture, shoulders back, abs in...his voice on top of my favorite music is like having a personal trainer with me. The temp is already up to 66 after a chilly morning of 36, it's so pretty out. Down the driveway, across the road, over the fence and onto the dirt farm road along the edge of the big field. They did their last cutting of alfalfa a few days go so it's green and pungent while the rows are drying in the sun, they haven't baled it up yet. Only drawback about it being so dry out is the inch or so of very dusty dirt that gets into my shoes and socks...then when the road runs out it is a cut field but the edge is dry and stickery and some of the stickers made their way into my socks..ouch. I prefer running on dirt tho and it is also safer to be off the highway. I cut my running gear down to just my workout watch, Road ID bracelet, pepper spray velcro strapped in my left hand (for wayward mean dogs). My soft neoprene snap together gun holster is perfect, I don't even know it's there, just sits softly around my hips and has room for the iphone to slip into it. I ordered it a couple of months ago after much research on line and couldn't be happier with it. I carry a little 5 shot taurus for protection. Ever since the highschool teacher in Montana was kidnapped along side the road and murdered while she was out for her morning 30 minute jog last January I don't take any chances when I'm out by myself...I live in the middle of nowhere. I keep my CTC permit current and only carry it when I'm out running. I did a little stretching when I got home and my tailbone is a little sore so I'll have a good soak in the hot tub tonight! I'm off to the big city tomorrow morning for the day with a friend so no run for me but I think I'll treat myself to a new pair of running shoes while I'm there......My goal now is to make sure I get a good run in at least 4 days a week! Today was Day 1 of Galloway's 10K training program..I'll probably stick to the Day 1 program for a week and then progress. The last 10K fun run I did was a year ago this month here in our little town and then I had neck surgery in Feb. At this point I just want to get back into it for me....just glad to be back out there and won't mind if I don't do the fun runs again although it's so fun to meet other likeminded people and get a cool T or sweatshirt...maybe this next year.

Hi LadySage
I love to run too! This past summer I did alot of "run/walking", 13-15 minute miles is about where I am also. I used to do alot of races, from 94-07, but hardly any since 07. I'd really like to start doing group runs again too, but I'm afraid I would be too slow to run with any of the groups around here. Maybe next year, for me too
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 07:35

Default Hi!

Hi Starrunner! We're about the same pace with running it looks. I'm a proud 'Penguin', always have been. Like you I've been a runner off and on for years, especially through the 90s. Got back into it consistently two years ago and I did three fun runs in 2011. My neuro symptoms reared their ugly head about two weeks after a 10k a year ago. I run because I've always loved it and it's a great stress reducer. I love the 'zen' time it gives me and it's a great way to maintain my weight. Have you tried John Galloway's program? I started using his phone app about six months ago when I was just getting back out and walking after my surgery. All the years I ran I was a snob about walking, even during training and this last year I've really changed my tune! Because of some health issues and my neck surgery this year I'm happy to do a walk/run program and my running times are the same as they were when I would do a constant jog. If I get back to where I feel confident entering another fun run I have a different outlook on it now and won't pressure myself so much, just make it fun! Best wishes and stay in touch! I'd like to hear more about your running experiences. Meg
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 20:04
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadySage
Hi Starrunner! We're about the same pace with running it looks. I'm a proud 'Penguin', always have been. Like you I've been a runner off and on for years, especially through the 90s. Got back into it consistently two years ago and I did three fun runs in 2011. My neuro symptoms reared their ugly head about two weeks after a 10k a year ago. I run because I've always loved it and it's a great stress reducer. I love the 'zen' time it gives me and it's a great way to maintain my weight. Have you tried John Galloway's program? I started using his phone app about six months ago when I was just getting back out and walking after my surgery. All the years I ran I was a snob about walking, even during training and this last year I've really changed my tune! Because of some health issues and my neck surgery this year I'm happy to do a walk/run program and my running times are the same as they were when I would do a constant jog. If I get back to where I feel confident entering another fun run I have a different outlook on it now and won't pressure myself so much, just make it fun! Best wishes and stay in touch! I'd like to hear more about your running experiences. Meg

Hi Meg,
We do have alot in common with our running. I started running in 1994, and for me it was very much a stress reducer. My father had passed away in 1992, and lots of things changed in my life at that time. Running was a blessing for me. I was also a snob about walking, I would only run/jog. There were some people following the Galloway plan in my training groups at the time, but I didn't pay too much attention to it then. My running was really good for the first couple of years, but then I became somewhat injury prone and I had to start biking more. I did pressure myself alot back then, and at times running was actually causing more stress than it was relieving

This past spring I decided to start over completely as a runner and to set my goals as if I had never run before. It really took alot of the pressure off. I got alot of miles in, by walking and running. I did get the Galloway book on my Kindle but I haven't read it yet. I didn't follow any program this year, I just tried to get outside almost every day. I love being in the sun, and we had a nice warm summer this year.

I still don't have the running confidence to get back into a group or do a race, but I am hoping that I can do those things next summer.

I'm sorry to hear about your health issues. I hope you are feeling better.

#11   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 20:54

Default Hi Starrunner

I used to cycle too along with my running...I haven't been on my bike this year since my surgery because of the neck thing...I'm feeling really good and all of my neuro symptoms are gone, I'm just taking things slowly so I don't over do..I did that at first just a few months postop and really paid for it. My shoulder and neck tendons and muscles were repositioned in the correct position after years of being scrunched I guess with the cervical fusion so if I overdo I feel it in those areas. I agree with you about running being such a stress reducer..I have a T shirt that says 'Running is cheaper than therapy...' I had to really get my nerve up to sign up for my first fun run since 2004. I started running/jogging again in winter of 2010, signed up for a 5k in February of 2011, it was cold and icy and snowy and the hub and I got soaking wet and cold but we were both so thrilled to have actually done it again. Then I did a 10k in May, and in Oct. of 2011 another 10k...so I'm trying to come back slowly now and the Galloway program is perfect for me. I've also been a Runner's World devotee for about 25 years, still getting the magazine even all those years I didn't run...love John Bingham, he's the original 'Penguin'....I read his 'Courage to Start' book this last year and loved it. I've recently discovered the wonderful people on Runner's World forums, namely the beginners forum and more specifically the 'Penguin' group. Check it out...I think you'll find as much motivation as I have from those wonderful people and I also get many chuckles reading everybody's posts...even tho it's the 'Beginner's' forum as people have progressed they've hung around and bonded with each other so you can get the wisdom from the former beginners who are now very experienced runners...they're all great and more than happy to advise if need be. Right now like you I'm a little gun shy about signing up for any fun runs this next year but maybe I'll feel differently in a few months...if I can not let it pressure me and just look at entering a run as pure fun and just relax I would love to do it again. Right now I'm just enjoying being out there....By the way I also lost my Dad in 1992...Running helped me get through that horrible event and other stressful events in the years following...
Hope you had a good day today...Meg
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Oct-15-12, 21:03

Default Today's run...

So after my day out of town I spent the entire hour and a half trip home psyching myself up for what I would do when I got home...I left my running gear and clothes on the counter where they would be staring me in the face when I walked in...I got my critters all fed, got a whey protein/iced decaf drink down for some energy...threw my clothes on and headed out the door. It got to 80 degrees here today but I put on my long sleeved thin shirt and since I've decided I need a bright shirt on since I run in the middle of nowhere (lest some idiot mistakes me for a deer and shoots me) I had a bit too many layers on and got a little toasty but oh well...my Day #2 of the Galloway program is only a 30 min. program. I was tired and could have so easily talked myself out of it today...I much prefer morning runs so the plan for tomorrow is to get out at least by 9 a.m. I was a little slower than yesterday, 15.8 mi/min and that's okay. I need to get outside and soak in my little 106 deg. hot tub but I've been watching too much of the Walking Dead show and I live in the sticks and it's very dark outside. Mmmmm...think I'll stay inside....Consistency is the key for me right now...just getting out there...Day #3 tomorrow and if I have to do repeats of training days I'll do it depending on how my body is feeling...I have to be robotic right now with my running, don't think about it, just do it..just put my shoes on and go out the door...One day at a time.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Oct-16-12, 21:22
Registered Member

Hi Meg,

I think I will check out the Penguin group on Runner's World.
I've been reading RW for almost 20 years and always look forward to seeing it in the mail.

I'm trying to get motivated to continue running in the cold this winter. I'm really not a cold weather person. I love it when it's hot and sunny, the hotter the better. I guess Michigan isn't the best place for me
This past summer was awesome! The hottest one since I've lived here.

I have a spinning bike at home, so I can always get a workout in, but I really want to keep my running up so I think I'm just going to have to deal with the weather.

I would love to be able to do a fun run and just enjoy it without worrying about it. We have a couple of runs coming up later this month, but I think that's a little too soon. Maybe that should be a goal for 2013.

Hope you have a great day tomorrow,

Judy
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-12, 18:39

Default Hi...

Hi Judy, I know what you mean about running in the winter...Your winters are very similar to mine...my sis used to live in Michigan and we were amazed how we would be having the same weather. That was back in the 80s tho so things might have changed...We routinely get lots of ice and snow and sometimes below zero weather still and I've lived here off and on for so many years so I have long underwear, wool scarves to wrap my neck in and gloves and a good running jacket.....I also bring my bike in and put the back tire up on the stand that holds the back wheel up with tension on the tire and enables me to use my bike in the living room. I'd much rather get my exercise outside tho so I'll be out there if it isn't too bad. Like I said about the fun runs my first one last year I was so nervous, it had been so long, but it was such a good feeling to do it. There were lots of people walking it and running as slow as I am! You should try just a 5k and you'll probably get hooked again. You look like you're at your goal weight which is great! I started at 144 and hit 129 just recently, got lower last year but I get too thin at 5' 4" if I go much lower than what I am. I like that running keeps me where I want to be with my weight as long as I'm consistent with it and with my way of eating. My goal is to stay at my present weight and I'm confident it won't be hard to do. I know I'm not going to gain any back ever, I love how I'm eating now and the running is just icing on the cake. And I love the 'zen' of it...When I went out this afternoon it was only 65 degrees which was perfect for me...then I can layer and had a light sweatshirt on. Anyway, I think running in the winter can be nice, if you have a lot of ice you might need some rubber grippers on your shoes. You should try to find a running group in your area...I live out in the country and don't have anyone to run with but if you're closer to the city I'm sure you could find a bunch of gals to run with...I miss having that.
Best wishes and hugs,
Meg
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Oct-17-12, 18:50

Default My run today...

I got out the door for my run about 1:30 this afternoon...had grand plans to get out there this morning, it was such a beautiful crisp Fall morning and I had the running togs all laid out...but my son came over with my grandbaby to pick up the rototiller to use and we visited....It was tempting to just say 'oh well, maybe tomorrow'....and I'm still a little sore from day before yesterday...but yesterday was a rest day and I needed to get back out there. And then a friend yelled at me in her email to get my butt out the door...that was the extra kick I needed so I headed out. I'm taking things really slow, not pushing myself extra hard because since my neck surgery I really pay for it the next day if I overdo with horrible neck and shoulder pain. But I did a good solid 2.28 miles at a 15 min/mi pace (yes, I'm a proud Penguin)...I had just the right clothing on and it was a nice 65 degrees. I've gotten it in my mind that I want to get another big dog so I have a running partner. The hub runs but he does his own thing and we don't run together...that's okay with me because I'm listening to my Galloway program and my music and I like being by myself. But I used to have my big red dobie back in the 90s running with me every day and it's absolutely wonderful to have a big dog as a willing enthusiastic running partner. Doesn't get any better than that...She used to start spinning in circles when I'd grab my running shoes.
My dogs now are my precious little mini-schauzers but that won't work.....Anyway, we'll see......Ever since we lost our big black grizzly bear lab/golden retriever mix three years ago we're resisting getting another big dog, at least at this time...but I keep thinking about it. Anyway, I'm so glad I got out there today...I set that goal of doing it and I did and it feels good.