Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-14-02, 10:00
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/190/155 Male 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 58%
Wink Confit Fit!

Hi Karen,
With the cool spring and hope of summer ahead, my mind has turned toward confits. Jacques Pepin has this simple duck technique where he just puts the duck in a pan and lets it drown in its own renderings. Time to go duck hunting it think!

However this got me to thinking about an exchange you had with Doreen about good quality tuna. I had a great tuna confit recipe somewhere, but as with all great recipes it has disappeared when needed most. I could just whack some tuna in a pan and poach it in olive oil; but considering the cost of these ingredients it would be good to get it right the first time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Colin
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 00:09
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've poached tuna in olive oil, but it's meant to be eaten right away. Is this what you're looking for, or something more preserved?

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 08:56
Registered Member

BF:
Default Getting lazy

Hi Karen,
I was looking for something to be there in the fridge for a quick meal. However that said, I found out where the recipe was. It is in "Fine Cooking" (Sept '01) . Now all I have to do is figure out which file box I put it in (another project).

A quick search also came up with this recipe. It looks as good or better:
http://www.webseafood.com/recipes/tuna_confit.htm

So now the shopping will turn into "surf and marsh". I know about the duck farm out toward Cultus Lake, but I might settle for the superstore.

Colin
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 09:47
Forum Founder

BF:

That looks absolutely yummy Colin! Albacore is cheaper than Ahi too.

Do you know about Angel Seafoods, the Japanese seafood store? I think it's on Grant Street, near Clark. You can get loins of sashimi grade albacore there.

Karen
  #5   ^
Old Wed, May-15-02, 10:07
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks

Thanks Karen,
I'm soon due for a trip to that end of town for supplies. It is good to get a healthy list and hit all the shops in one go. Mary has been told to expect a "restocking" charge to the budget soon.

You wouldn't know where to find a small quantity of methylcellulose to play around with, would you?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 08:27
Forum Founder

BF:

What are you trying to make?

I have some NotSugar by Expert Foods. It thickens syrups and things like that without heat.

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 08:53
Registered Member

BF:

ummm......to thicken syrups and things. Actually I have a great savory flax muffin recipe, but find that it is a bit brick- like in texture. The technique of folding in beaten egg whites just adds a styrofoam element (all fluff and no flavour) in baking.

I read about methylcellulose in a natural food bread baking book. They found that it lightened up dense doughs like rye, and since it is made from trees, felt it was ok to be considered "natural". It is amazing the sophistry we can employ when our taste buds are involved.

I then noticed how ubiquitous it is in commercial preparations. But I have not been able to find any to try in my personal experiments. The authors of the baking book said that they had to cozy up to a commercial baker to get theirs. Know of any bakers that need a cuddle?

Long answer to a short question. I guess the coffee is kicking in.

Thanks
Colin
  #8   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 08:58
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
It is amazing the sophistry we can employ when our taste buds are involved.

Isn't it though? I do it all the time!

I just know bakers that "do it" naturally, but I will make enquiries to our baking supply company.

What is your recipe? Maybe it could be tweaked in some other way.

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, May-16-02, 09:41
Registered Member

BF:
Default Flax Muffin (brick) Recipe

2/3 Cup Protein powder
2/3 Cup Soy flour
2/3 Cup "Bake Mix" (see below)
2/3 Cup Flax Seed Meal
2/3 Cup Wheat Bran
1 Tsp Baking Powder
4 Eggs
2 Egg Whites
8 Tbs. Sour Cream
1 Cup Splenda
1/3 Cup Peanut Oil (or whatever is handy)
1/4 Cup Club Soda

Add up to 1 1/2 Cup Nuts, Berries, or Pumpkin
in any combination that strikes your fancy.

For a savory muffin, add whatever herbs that are in danger of expiring in the cupboard and any cheese that is being attacked by aliens in the fridge. (I told you I wasn't good at this baker's science thing.)

Combine all ingredients and Bake at 350F for 25 minutes.

Bake Mix
1Cup Soy Flour
2 Cups Soy Isolate
2 Tsp Baking Soda
2 Tbs Baking Powder
2 Tbs Splenda
1 Tsp Salt

I got this a long time ago at www.lowcarbcafe.com

I know you are not a fan of soy. I've thought about adding gluten, but that gets me into unfamiliar territory. Nuts seem too coarse. The flax is a good binder though and might be able to hold them together....oops my brain has gone into free flow mode.

Better quit while I'm still moderately sane

Thanks for your interest and help

Colin

Last edited by colinjn : Thu, May-16-02 at 16:02.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 00:48
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%

Nice looking recipe, Colin. Hope you don't mind if I play with it, too? (I've got a couple of flaxseed muffin recipes as well, and will trade as they aren't necessarily bricklike though a trifle bland).

More to the point, I have a small cache of methylcellulose right here. Found it in the bulk pack bin of my local Health Food Store, right next to the guar and xantham gums and other 'gluten-free' or celiac baking aids.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 01:00
Registered Member

Default PS: overkill on the Soy?

Just eyeballing the recipe, Colin, and both the Bake Mix and the 'main' recipe are topheavy on soy, both flour and isolate. This could definitely be contributing to brickdom.

The components of the bake mix are already in the main recipe and the soy needs to be cut down anyway... ditch the 'bake mix' portion, double the flaxseed meal, halve the wheat bran, ensure the protein powder is a whey powder, use a full Tablespoon of baking soda/powder, and change out the club soda and sour cream to a Cup of buttermilk or more, enough to moisten the batter to a 'muffin batter' consistency.... see what happens (ok, so I'll see what happens because that's where I'd start). If you have other sweeteners, combine to get the 1-Cup sweeteness equivalent rather than use all Splenda.

Oy, and add some nice seasalt, maybe a half-teaspoon?
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 01:10
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
More to the point, I have a small cache of methylcellulose right here.

Maybe Galloway's would have it? Or, Famous Foods on Kingsway?

I asked Snowcap which supplies our baking stuff and they don't have it. I'll keep my eye out for it though.

I agree with Judy on the heaviness of the soy and bake mix. Wa'il is really good at things like this. Bready stuff I can live without.

My thing is desserts!

Karen
  #13   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 09:16
Registered Member

BF:
Thumbs up Great Advice

Hi all,
Judy thanks for your comments. It is good to see an experienced hand at work! I guess we all have our areas of expertise. I can see that you know your way arond a baking pan!

Karen the (Low Carb) World salutes you for your dessert dedication!

I had my suspicions about the soy, but was not sure how to remedy it. I tried Galloways here in New West but came up empty on the cellulose. I haven't been in Famous Foods for about 15 yrs. so perhaps it is time to revisit them.

Judy, if you are willing to sacrifice some of your stash, I would be interested to find out if it does lighten things up as much as the authors claimed. It was not their first choice, but ended up being their best.

Karen, I know what you mean about the bread; however I found these to be very portable during summer ( I know I'm being optimistic) when I had to commute across the border regularly. I could do a Ploughman's Lunch while plugging along to the custom's gate.

Summer must be coming, I've been dreaming of Fried Chicken.

Thanks all

Colin
  #14   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 10:55
Registered Member

Colin, I've been working up to getting over there for Karen's fab LowCarb Dinner Series, LC Spice night on the 30th... I should know by start of next week if I'm coming over on Das Boot, and will gladly bring you a portion (I'm not sure how much is in the jar but it goes a long way...).

Will YOU be at the Dinner?
  #15   ^
Old Fri, May-17-02, 21:55
Registered Member

BTW, I've got those flaxseed muffin recipes for you, Colin, but thought maybe another thread would be appropriate (other than Confit Fit)... so I've popped them into the Quick Meals & Snacks section of this Kitchen forum .... Flaxseed Muffins - Sweet and Savory.

Hope they work for you like they work for me (as in packable portable nutritious etc.).

Last edited by IslandGirl : Fri, May-17-02 at 22:10.