Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 05:02

Plan: very low fiber
Stats: 225/225/150 Female 67 in.
BF:dont know
Progress: 0%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babette R
My thought is this: we "restart" every single day! Each day we have to decide if we're going to follow our adopted WOL or not. "Restarting" shouldn't be looked at as a failure ... but rather as success.

LOVE IT!! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!!
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 12:31

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I never say I'm restarting anymore. I'm just doing better today

Today I am doing better and following my plan.
  #63   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 10:34

Plan: Atkins/Taubes
Stats: 270/168/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 93%

This has actually prompted me to post for the first time.

I grew up with Jane Fonda and rice cakes. I was raised by a woman who bought the whole "low fat, heart healthy!" LIE, and was thus eating high carb while growing up. Wheat pasta, a teaspoon of sauce and a dry, lean chicken breast. Toast with a smear of jam and no butter. That kind of well-intentioned poison. It broke me, and about the time I was 270 pounds and put on metformin for insulin sensitivity/pre diabetes, I discovered Dr. Atkins. It was like the sun breaking through the clouds and lighting up my life. I lost over 100 pounds the first year. I KNEW that this was IT.

That was 10 years ago. I have been sliding around, off and on ever since. You cant imagine what it's like to wake up "normal" after a lifetime of being overweight. So I thought I could drink beer and eat funnel cake at festivals. And have a slice of piazza when my daughter has sleepovers. And have the bun on my burger because after all, I was skipping the fries and coke, right??

I saw 200 on the scale again last week. And it scared me straight. So yes, I am starting over. Because the diet isn't sustainable? Because it somehow failed me? Are you kidding? It saved my LIFE. And I failed it, not the other way around.
  #64   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 13:38
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
This has actually prompted me to post for the first time.

I grew up with Jane Fonda and rice cakes. I was raised by a woman who bought the whole "low fat, heart healthy!" LIE, and was thus eating high carb while growing up. Wheat pasta, a teaspoon of sauce and a dry, lean chicken breast. Toast with a smear of jam and no butter. That kind of well-intentioned poison. It broke me, and about the time I was 270 pounds and put on metformin for insulin sensitivity/pre diabetes, I discovered Dr. Atkins. It was like the sun breaking through the clouds and lighting up my life. I lost over 100 pounds the first year. I KNEW that this was IT.

That was 10 years ago. I have been sliding around, off and on ever since. You cant imagine what it's like to wake up "normal" after a lifetime of being overweight. So I thought I could drink beer and eat funnel cake at festivals. And have a slice of piazza when my daughter has sleepovers. And have the bun on my burger because after all, I was skipping the fries and coke, right??

I saw 200 on the scale again last week. And it scared me straight. So yes, I am starting over. Because the diet isn't sustainable? Because it somehow failed me? Are you kidding? It saved my LIFE. And I failed it, not the other way around.

Welcome!
And huge congrats on catching yourself now.
Yes, it is all about sticking with it after you get to goal...its not just for weight loss....eventhough thats where all the fun is.
  #65   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 14:25
overeasy

Plan: No grains/sugar/alcohol
Stats: 221/175.4/160 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinityx03
This is really a learning process. There are people, right now, on these very forums, who are LOSING, right now(!!) and they talk about when they'll have their first "cheat meal" or how they will go back to eating their favorite snacks "in moderation." A big problem with this WOE is that, as a short-term diet, it's still pretty successful. You can easily get somewhere- perhaps further than you've ever gone on any diet, and feel "safe." It's really easy to ignore food issues because of the initial drop in cravings, and satisfaction with a little success. As your weight loss slows, you get a little hungrier, your size 16 no longer feels like a good thing like it did when you were recently a 22... so starts the creep. Your commitment takes a dive. You step out of your body as you watch yourself make really bad choices.

Anybody restarting after that- awesome. They can learn from their mistakes. But look. There may be more mistakes. There will probably be more mistakes. Quite a few of the long term maintainers (a lot of them already participating in this conversation) started and restarted multiple times.

i think this is a very useful conversation to have. Thanks for bringing it up.

Just wanted to say that I think this is an excellent assessment! Spot on!
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-12, 15:06

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDH
Because the diet isn't sustainable? Because it somehow failed me? Are you kidding? It saved my LIFE. And I failed it, not the other way around.

Right on!!!
  #67   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-12, 17:26

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

Yay KDH!! Welcome back into the fold!
  #68   ^
Old Sat, Jun-23-12, 10:48
Everyday Sane Psycho

Plan: Bernstein, Keto IFast
Stats: 385/253/160 Female 67.5
BF:14d bsl 400/122/83
Progress: 59%

I keep falling off the low carb wagon when money is tight. I'm on disability and meat/veggies are so expensive nowadays. Times when a type of meat on sale usually guarentees me my low carbing days.
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 06:55

BF:

I am disabled also, so money is tight. I get $123 a month in the EBT card I get social security, no disability, and child sapport. I sapport all of us, my BF sapports his farm and theres nothing left over, lol! I do have a car payment, but no house payment, life isn't cheap though.

I find it cheaper to eat LC, I never liked pasta, and sandwiches loose there appeal quickly. I make a menu for the week, then I make a grocery list and get my shopping done. If I follow my list and don't buy junk food, I can stay in my budget. $400 for a month for a family of 5, outragious isn't it?

I like to go with meat and a veggie, and usually some kind of fruit for the kids. I buy meat on sale, then I stock up, money wise that can get expensive, but it evens out over time. We buy more canned veggies than anything, BF prefers them. I do buy fresh fruit, only because I can binge easily on canned fruit.

Junk food adds up fast I don't buy it! I always go for sales, and my family pick things up for me when there is a sale in a town there going too, I do the same for them. I had to bake a cake for my sons birthday, I made it from the box, I wasn't going to buy a cute premade cake, way to expensive! I also bought the ice cream a week ago, it was on sale

I do get excited and happy to share ways to keep grocery costs down. My girlfriend spends $600 - $800 a month on groceries for a 4 person family, plus they go out to eat once a week! OMG, to have that kind of income, LOL! But they eat a lot of snacky type foods, she bakes a lot (not needed in anyones diet) and likes to buy pop, goodies and pre made stuff.

In the long run, I find it cheaper to eat the meat, veggies and a fruit if needed, sometimes we don't even get to the fruit. Oh, Aldis, a small chain, many foods is cheaper there. They had strawberries for $.99 for a box, I got 2 of them, and 1 box makes a side for the whole family. They love strawberries and my garden isn't producing them this year.

I'm trying to think about cost for last nights supper. Family sized pkg chicken thighs, $.89 a lb, 2 cans green beans, $.39 a can (on sale at hy vee) and the pkg of strawberries $.99 and of course the lard $1 (strained and reusable) to fry the chicken and the pork rinds I rolled the chicken in $.89

Looking at just under $10 for that meal for all 5 of us, plus BF took the remainder 2 chicken thighs to work today with an apple, small bag of cheap chips, a pop(cringe) and a bag of peanuts.

I know I'm carrying on, but I like the fact that I can sapport my family and keep everyone well fed on a reasonable budget. I'm sure many can't afford a butdget the size of mine but thats what I give myself. Oh, that budget includes any house hold items I may need, like a mop head, dish detergent, and shampoos. You get the idea.

I got back on track with my LC diet plan last Sunday (finally). I would have a good day, then fall hard in that bag of candy or watermellon I'm finally back on and feeling good about it.

Something I can do, that many may not be able to, is that we eat a lot of wild game. BF hunts almost anything that he can get a tag for. He gives the deer away (he doesn't like to eat it) but squirrel, rabbit,turkey, pidgeon, turtle, fish, we eat wild game at least once evey 2 weeks. We just had a 3 day fishing expodition. Put out trout lines on Thursday evening, and checked them every 3 hours all night long, same on Friday night and Saturday night. Got 59 catfish all total, were having a very inexpensive fish fry tonight(mine will be rolled in pork rinds) and 14 family/meal sized packages of fish. I made them hold back fish they would normally throw out. I fillet them myself and plan on trying them, I hate to waste a perfectly good fish.

Don't let money get in the way of eating healthy, putting your mind to it, will solve your grocery problems, inginuity(sp) can be fun! I tried to cook up coon, we trap them in the winter ( I don't like trapping but I can't stop them) so the meat wouldn't go to waste. Ya, that didnt work, it was nasty and had a funny smell, people do eat it, but I obviousely didn't cook it right.

I'll let someone take over from here, there are always more tips that I didn't think of. Oh, we also butchar a calf and split it in 1/3 with family. It is cheaper than buying meat, but we did pay for that corn and hay it was fed all winter and if we had sold him with the rest of the calves, he would have brought us around $900. Its obviousely a healthier way to go than store boughten meat, but I dought very much if its much cheaper than store boughten.

Am I rambling again?

Last edited by sexym2 : Thu, Jul-05-12 at 07:00.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Jul-05-12, 18:20

Plan: 30 g carbs/day
Stats: 220/180/150 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 57%

I do. In a frightening, sad sort of way, I'm almost glad my health just took a dive into the sewer system and I have to eat healthfully now (meaning for me, LC, and gluten-free). Like I said...I realize just how sad that sounds.

But yep. Really, it's sort of for life, or it's a fad and a phase that you'll just step back out of again, over and over.

Not getting on my soapbox here...I know how hard it is to go against the grain, literally, when it's shoved in your face night and day. Trust me, I know. This WOE may not be everyone's saving grace, just stating what "start again for the billionth time" looks like from the vantage point of being scared you're gonna die, v. wanting to lose some weight.
  #71   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 10:46

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

I'm so happy that Doreen T sent me this link. I've spent so much time starting and stopping and restarting I can't even count. I had my journal deleted because it was depressing looking back since 2006 and seeing the same enthusiastic start and the slow demise downhill. As I made one excuse after another. All of it was coupled with "drinking in moderation". Boy am I fooling myself.

I'm starting again and what can I be thankful for.

1. That I don't weigh over what I weighed when I started in 2006.
2. That I still have you supportive people
3. That I know this WOE works and makes me feel better than ever.
4. Thankful that I'm still alive and have another day to get it right
5. Thankful that I'm truly truly tired...... High Blood Pressure due to weight and cramps when fooling around with the hubby!
6. Since 2006 I stayed away from sugary drinks, natural sugar, sugary soda's and fruit juices..... I don't have a drop of that stuff. That's probably the only reason why I didn't gain pass my starting weight in 2006.

So here I am and I agree with most of you guys. It's been a long and hard battle and I'm still on the battle field with half ammo trying to increase by strength. It's not an easy war and sometime we have to just keep trying and keep learning things about ourselves to succeed.

I'm a drinker, I'm a carb addict and I'm determined to move forward and live a healthier life style. I want it now, more than I want a drink or a piece of bread. I have to keep telling myself that and be happy at my small accomplishments and not get to excited about a small loss or think that one piece of bread or 4 fries can pass these lips without serious consequences. I'm learning and I'm sure most of us are.

The OP is gone now and I wish her must success, but just like an addict of chemical substances it’s just not that damn simple. Triggers of all kind can raise the savage beast of carb addiction. The physiological battle is hard one, but can be done.

I look foward to sharing and learning from those that are closer to achieving mental and physiological success because I truly believe the weight problem is a symptom of a larger problem.

-Kim
  #72   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 11:49

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

Congratulations on getting back up on the horse again. Sir Winston Churchill said "Never, never, never, never, ever give up". Words to live by for us, I think. BTW, any time I've had a weight gain it started with "drinking in moderation". Left to myself I'm happy with one glass of wine with dinner or no alcohol at all. Perfectly okay with a club soda. It's being around heavy drinkers who knock back wine and sangria as if it's lemonade that is my undoing. My one glass of wine so easily turns into 3....or 4. That sometimes leads to a carby food that I would otherwise never dream of eating. Oh well, the problem is mine and I have to find a way to say "no" on these occasions. They are not holding my throat open and pouring the wine down it! Thanks for posting and for having the courage to start again.
  #73   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 15:07

Plan: zero carb
Stats: 275/273/135 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 1%

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexym2
I never say I'm restarting anymore. I'm just doing better today

Today I am doing better and following my plan.

that awesome
  #74   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 19:30

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 218.5/203.8/150 Female 61
BF:
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whofan
"Never, never, never, never, ever give up". Words to live by for us, I think.

Thanks Whofan!

If I can only have one glass! I haven't had a drink since Friday. I usually drinlk every other day and binge on weekends. I'm gonna attempt to take a break from my friends for awhile and focus on praying, family, and change of eating!
  #75   ^
Old Mon, Jul-16-12, 21:31

BF:

Its great that we can do better every day.

The weirdest thing, I got cravings, drove to town to get junk and I bought a bottle of diet pop! I got back in the truck and went home. I felt stupid for driving to town for that pop, but the more I thought about it, the happier I got.

I walked away still on my plan.