Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sun, Apr-29-12, 20:15

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

We've finished our move and I'm so glad it's over. This seems to be a snooty park but I hope W and I can make it more friendly. My weight is virtually the same. This morning I was .6# higher than mentioned in last post. That's not bad, in fact it's good. Our golf cart kinda went kapuut and we'll go to San Antonio later this week and get 6 new batteries for it ouch!!! How is everybody??? myrt
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 11:53

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

I'm pouting, I gained weight.

My exercise: I ride a stationary bike and walk my dog, I used to go to the gym but with the cost of gas I don't go too often. My gym is about 15 miles away. I have all kinds of gym equipment here at the house (DH garage sales) but never use it. I sometimes walk thru the comercials on tv. Have one of those things that count your steps. I used to walk down a dirt road to the beach but they closed that beach down.

My 50 year old DD has been whining to me about her age, and how it's getting harder to keep exercising. (I guess everything is relative). She looks the way most 50 yr old women want to look. I saw a picture of a body builder and I e-mailed her b/c I thought it was her. It's hard for me to sympathize with that.

Last edited by Chanteyl : Mon, Apr-30-12 at 12:17.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Apr-30-12, 19:31

BF:

[QUOTE=Chanteyl]I'm pouting, I gained weight.
Is there one thing you could do to change that thinking???

She looks the way most 50 yr old women want to look. I remember when I was that age and weighed 130# I was complaining to a friend about how I looked and she said, "Get a life!" Ha, I needed to hear that.

I have a doc appt in the morning to see what I can do with my foot that I keep spraining. A lot of it is the fibromyalgia, moving, riding the stationery bike with the wrong kind of shoes on, etc.

Take care, and for a better day, myrt
  #34   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-12, 02:38

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 211/199/145 Female 67 inches
BF:31%
Progress: 18%

Hello. everybody who is listening in,
I will be 82 next year. I love life and usually I am a very happy person. I have been married going on 59 years. I need to lose about 50 pounds. As all of you over 60 know,it gets more difficult as the years go up. Sixty is still a youngster to me. I go to Curves about three times a week. The other days my husband and I walk outside for a while. The old adage, life is what you make it, definitely holds true. Good luck to all of you on your weight loss journey. We all know it is not easy.

Last edited by agehr : Sun, Jun-17-12 at 02:49. Reason: wanted to bold not
  #35   ^
Old Sun, Jun-17-12, 15:31

Plan: LC
Stats: 189/184/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 7%

Your post reminds me that I used to go to Curves and although it did not do much for the weight loss, it did give me a lot of energy! I need to start going again, especially since my health plan pays for it. I am 68 and agree that weight loss and maintenance gets more difficult as we age.
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-12, 19:31

BF:

agehr----agree agree agree!But that other old saying, "If you don't use it you lose it!" And my very favorite is:
IF IT IS TO BE
IT IS UP TO ME

myrt
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-12, 06:42

Plan: Atkins 72
Stats: 157/122.8/120 Female 5' 2"
BF:belly 40.3/8
Progress: 92%

I just had a family emergency and I was so worried that I couldn't eat as much as I usually do, so I lost that weight. I'm having to fix meals for her for a while and she is not eating much. We had to report what she was served to the Dr., so I've been eating so much healthier.

I started gaining because I was put on insullin, and that makes it hard to diet. My blood sugar levels are way out of control still.

Myrt-I hope your foot gets better.

Agehr-Curves really does help you look like you lost weight. My Cousin went there and I saw her recently and she really looked good. She told me she didn't lose weight but she really looked like she had.

Last edited by Chanteyl : Fri, Jun-22-12 at 06:49.
  #38   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-12, 19:06
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/OKL
Stats: 193/173.2/150 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Welcome, agehr & eastbruce.

Good to hear from you again, Chanteyl, but very sorry about your family emergency. Hope things are settling down for you and your family. Stress sometimes makes it hard to take care of yourself, too. At least you are eating better!

And myrt, hope your aches and pains are improving. That's a struggle with fibro, I know.

Have been busy lately. DH had his 82nd birthday recently, then father's day. In the midst of all that I got a bladder infection (something I seem to be prone to) and last week found out that it's a resistant strain, the first time that has happened and a new worry.

So I appreciate all the positive sayings. So far I haven't thought of any to add.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Jun-24-12, 19:46

BF:

Agehr--You're 82 and going to Curves! That is fantastic. We all know how good for us exercise is. I have a bro-in-law who will be 93 in Sept. and he still works (self-employed). He always has a fantastic outlook on life and has a very active mind. Not much gets past him.

Chanteyl---Nothing like being accountable to a doctor, is there? Are you helping out a relative?

Lou---I finished phys. therapy but felt I'm just not strong enough to go to Curves so I went back to the pool/gym. I feel pretty good but still have to watch that I don't stand up to long and most of the time I take the handicap cart at the grocery and Walmart and screw up my feet again. I've hit a pretty happy medium. I have 2 compression fractures and arthritis in my lower spine and get the nerves burned periodically. It really helps and the only side affect is I crave food for about 5 days afterwards. The doc sticks a shot of steroid in there to help with the pain right afterwards and it causes food cravings for about 5 days. At least I know I'm going to go throught that which helps.

Nothing tastes as good as thin feels! myrt
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Jun-25-12, 20:50

BF:

What a hot day we had here in Central Texas. We had 98* but inside our RV it got up to 84*. We changed around the way we have the fans blowing and the vents on the A/Cs and I helped a lot. I fried some fresh sausage to use with spaghetti sauce and make zucchini boats and I made the spaghetti sauce from scratch. Doing just that little bit got it so much hotter in here. I'm going to start cooking supper in the morning and cooking 2 suppers at a time so we don't roast again. We bought a portable convection oven to cook ourdoors in but I didn't think I would need to do that. Live and learn.
When I was newly married back in 1963 we got transferred from Seattle to New Orleans and the only thing I could find for us to rent was a 2 story apartment---one apt on bottom and one on top. It was about the size of a triple car garage and we got the top floor. There was no A/C but one big window fan. Ugh! I learned from the landlady to cook dinner early in the morning and then heat it up at supper time. The end of June we bought a mobile home to live in so we'd have A/C and boy did we appreciate that movile home. New Orleans was booming then because Boeing was building part of the space shuttle there and then shipping the pieces to Florida. Since we came from Seattle it was quite a culture shock, but there are many fond memories of our discovering the Deep South and loving it.

I went to the pool this morning and enjoyed myself. I was there, did the best I could and enjoyed myself. I met a younger lady in the locker room that has rheumatoid arthritis and we compared how we feel. It was very similar and I wish I'd gotten her name so maybe we could workout at the pool together sometime. Hope I see her again.

Keep cool, myrt
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Jun-29-12, 22:52
Registered Member

BF:

myrt..noticed your journal (I guess that's what it's called) since you had just posted this evening. I'd like to do something like that, but having some difficulty keeping up with Fitday so not sure I could do it.

Things have been quiet here and on the 60's list. Maybe all the heat and those in Florida have had huge rains. We could use some of that. Not the heat. 105 here yesterday. A tad lower today.

Our daughter picked us up this afternoon to see our 7 yr old grandson's last baseball game of the season. He's quite a ball player. Pleases me since I was always lousy at team sports.

I lost a little last week, but still not quite down to my listed weight.

Wishing everyone a good weekend.
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-12, 17:52

BF:

The day after I posted it got up to 102* but then it dropped to 99 or so and now it's in the low 90's for a few days. Today was just 90* which is tolerable, in fact, inside I'm cold but W isn't. I'm cooking turkey breast (fresh), with carrots and celery. W has so many food allergies so we're trying to cook just fresh or fresh frozen foods, in otherwords food that's minimally processed. I had some jam last night and a little this afternoon and it upset my stomach so I'm throwing it in the garbage.

Lou--Somewhere it tells you how to set up a journal and it's really easy. If I was able to figure it out anyone can do it

My weight this morning put me in shock---163.2# and that's the lowest I've been since I met my current husband back in November 2009!!! With my body it may go right back up a little bit but still, for today I'll take it .
Myrt

Last edited by myrt4930 : Sat, Jun-30-12 at 18:00.
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Jun-30-12, 18:25
Registered Member

BF:

myrt..Congratulations on your loss!!!

And thanks for the journal encouragement. I'll look it up & see whether it's something I can do.

We're still sweltering (fortunately our AC is in good shape).
People I know in MD and Columbus OH are without power. That would be a huge problem in this weather.
  #44   ^
Old Sun, Jul-01-12, 06:06

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 211/199/145 Female 67 inches
BF:31%
Progress: 18%

Hey there, Lou,

I am going to be 82. Think nothing of age. You are as young as you feel. Live and embrace life to the fullest! Best advice I can give anyone, any age.

Hugs,
Arlene
  #45   ^
Old Tue, Jul-03-12, 19:58

BF:

Lou---Did your friends get their power back yet? That was a terrible storm. Keep on keeping on, myrt