Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Mar-21-12, 18:36

Plan: LC combo
Stats: 223/211/150 Female 5ft.4in.
BF:
Progress: 16%

I would make chili with elk meat and soy black beans when I lived in Juneau, AKI last summer - good stuff. But after making a curried tofu for breakfast a couple months ago, I had an allergic reaction to the tofu. I went for my semi-annual allergy testing last week and sure enough - I popped big time for soy. I was bummed. It's a good, inexpensive sources of protein (not to mention people marvel at watching you cook and then consume it). I also used whey protein powder in shakes. It all had to go. Once in a while, if I ordered sushi, I can have tamari sauce. But my days of cooking with tofu are over for now.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-12, 07:26
Registered Member

Plan: SBD
Stats: 314/230.4/150 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 51%

Hi I am a newly recovered breast cancer survivor. The only food my doctor told me to absolutely avoid in any form (and he wrote the book on breast cancer - literally - it's in it's 3rd or 4th edition) is soy.

Before the dx, I avoided it because of thyroid issues and food sensitivity.
  #33   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-12, 08:31

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%

I can't eat soy it makes my tummy hurt.
  #34   ^
Old Thu, Mar-29-12, 08:40

Plan: whole foods
Stats: 240/180/140 Female 63 inches
BF:too f'ing much
Progress: 60%

The only soy I eat is the oil in Hellmann's mayo and I don't eat that much of it. It's horrifying how much stuff it's in that people scarf down happily thinking it's healthy.
  #35   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 04:38
Registered Member

Plan: Primal Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 312.4/146.7/150 Female 66 inches
BF:25.17
Progress: 102%

I became incredibly ill during my stint eating mostly vegetarian. I was eating TVP, those frozen meatless products, soy milk, soy protein shakes, etc. What I didn't realize at the time was that almost all commercial & prepared convenience foods contain soy. I was baffled because the "healthier" I ate, the worse I felt. Fortunately, thanks to a young PA at my urologist's office who asked me if I ate much soy my problem was diagnosed.

I wasn't allergic to soy but the combination of all the soy foods plus all the soy in commercial foods was too much for my body to handle. It's what started me on my whole foods quest & preparing almost everything from scratch.

A few years later now, I can now tolerate a little soy. I use Braggs Liquid Aminos (in the little spray bottle) instead of soy sauce.
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Apr-02-12, 05:20

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Quote:
Originally Posted by SusieT
Hi I am a newly recovered breast cancer survivor. The only food my doctor told me to absolutely avoid in any form (and he wrote the book on breast cancer - literally - it's in it's 3rd or 4th edition) is soy.

Before the dx, I avoided it because of thyroid issues and food sensitivity.

As another Breast cancer survivor, We are told to completely avoid soy in all forms, yet the common advice is that soy may be OK, maybe even protective, for women who have not had cancer yet. Really?? Does that make any sense whatsoever?? Not to me...I think everyone should avoid soy.
  #37   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 12:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDogg
I only eat soylent green.

#38   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 12:29

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

Congratulations to the two of you that are breast cancer survivors! I send you mucho hugs!

I try to avoid soy as much as possible but it is in soooo many things! Even the mayonnaise made with Olive Oil by Best Foods lists soybean oil first before olive oil. I could give up mayo, but I love my whey protein shakes and I can't find any that don't have soy listed as an ingredient. Does anyone have a good recommendation?
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 12:43

Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%

I use these protein shakes and there is no soy in them: http://www26.netrition.com/healthsm...n.html#NUTFACTS

Although next time I'm going to get a casein protein powder as I recently discovered that Whey is a very fast absorbing protein. That probably explains why on a normal meal I'm not hungry for hours and hours but with a protein shake 2 or 3 hours later I need to eat.
  #40   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 12:53

Very interesting! Thanks Angel! I am going to look up some info on Casein protien. Have you tried it yet? Does it "taste" they same as whey?
  #41   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 13:29

BF:

I haven't tried it yet so I don't know. I can't imagine it would taste bad. Now soy protein shakes are nasty. I eat soy in the form of tofu, miso, and soy sauce occasionally but soy flour or protein powder just tastes bad to me. But, as I understand it, there is a lot of casein in greek yogurt and cottage cheese and neither taste bad to me so I don't think I'll have a problem with casein protein powder.

I don't drink a ton of protein shakes, once maybe twice a week so it's gonna take me forever to finish off the Whey protein I have right now. Sigh!
  #42   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 13:44
Registered Member

Stats: 215/181/175 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 85%

I have casein protein shakes and they taste great! I also find they keep me satisfied for longer than whey shakes.
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 13:50
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I'd advise against casein powder for a number of reasons. One: It's a nightmare to use. It is extremely sticky stuff and very hard to clean up. I had to throw away sponges where I'd tried to wipe up the powder I'd spilled. Two: It's the portion of milk that people tend to react badly to. If you react at all to gluten, you may very well have issues with this. If you get constipated, acne, sinus issues with this, suspect the casein.

Egg protein is better, IMHO. Easy to find too. You can use raw egg or buy it powdered.
  #44   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 14:57

I have never heard of powdered egg protein. Do you find this in the grocery store or special nurtition stores?

I think I would need a powder subtance to mix and not just a raw egg. I like to blend my whey protein with peanut butter, banana extract and water plus a touch of cream. It is filling and satisfies me for hours (probably the peanut butter).

I only drink it 1 or 2x a week, so it is not a huge source of soy in my diet. But I also like to make flax seed muffins using whey protein. So, maybe, I will look into the brand that Angel sent a link for, it looks like it doesn't have any soy.
  #45   ^
Old Fri, Apr-06-12, 17:22

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I'd advise against casein powder for a number of reasons. One: It's a nightmare to use. It is extremely sticky stuff and very hard to clean up. I had to throw away sponges where I'd tried to wipe up the powder I'd spilled. Two: It's the portion of milk that people tend to react badly to. If you react at all to gluten, you may very well have issues with this. If you get constipated, acne, sinus issues with this, suspect the casein.

Egg protein is better, IMHO. Easy to find too. You can use raw egg or buy it powdered.

Thanks for that info, Nancy, it's something I'll keep in mind. I do have chronic sinus issues although they persist even though I've eaten very little dairy for the past few months. I wonder if a whey/casein blend would be better although egg protein is something I hadn't considered. I'll look into it.