Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 13:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 278/215/180 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 64%
Default Do you eat soy?

I'm curious how many people here eat soy often or occasionally. I grew up eating tofu. Not in large amounts but growing up him Hawaii and SE Asia meant my diet was largely Asian influenced. We weren't vegetarian and got most of our protein from meat but tofu was definitely part of our diet a few times a week.

We never ate any of the processed soy products that have become popular recently although once moving out on my own I started trying more. Years ago though I quit the isolated soy protein supplements after hearing some dubious news about them.

I still will occasionally eat tofu and whole black soy beans. And of course soy sauce if that even counts. I've read about the dangers of soy and how ubiquitous it is in our modern diets but I think by avoiding processed food I can limit the amount injested and sticking to whole or fermented products occasionally is fine.

I know there are a few members here who won't touch the stuff but I'm curious if any do eat it sometimes.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 13:58
90 Days at a Time

Plan: Glycemic Load
Stats: 426/405.2/326 Male 74 in.
BF:
Progress: 21%

I love black soy beans and use it in chili and other "beany" type recipes.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 14:38
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

I would be an occassional consumer of soy--usually inthe form of a few black soy beans in chili or tofu.

Funny...I haven't had tofu in a really long time. I'm pressing some right now and plan on having fried tofu with hot thai chili sauce for lunch. The last time I ate tofu was probably 6 months ago.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 15:01

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnmLisa

Funny...I haven't had tofu in a really long time. I'm pressing some right now and plan on having fried tofu with hot thai chili sauce for lunch. The last time I ate tofu was probably 6 months ago.

Actually the motivation behind this thread was that I found a great faux macaroni and cheese recipe that uses tofu instead of pasta. Next grocery store trip I plan to pick some up and make it.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 16:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

0Angel0,

You should have started this thread in "The War Zone" area. Men should never eat unfermented soy, and women should eat a "minimal" amount to counter earlier menarche, and hence, longer-term exposure to estrogen.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 16:21

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

I eat soy from time to time, usually only in miso soup when I eat at the Japanese grill. Otherwise, I'm just not a huge fan. Unless red bean paste is made with soy, in which case I'm all over that action. :-P

I think it's a little over the top to say men should *never* eat soy. Definitely should not be a staple in the diet, but there are plenty of estrogenic foods and substances out there. Soy in small amounts (tofu cubes in broth, for example) doesn't seem like a death-inducer.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 16:29

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%

I said men should never eat *unfermented* soy, e.g., tofu, edamame, soy milk. There are too many xenoestrogens in these products that men aren't equipped to handle, since they have far fewer estrogen receptors than women. Nor did I say a small amount of soy would lead to death. But we should avoid hormonal damage much sooner than death. Would you eat just a small cookie, reasoning that a few grams of carbs wouldn't kill you?
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 16:38
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 317/262.6/175 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 38%

We do not eat soy products. Period.

When my husband and I decided to try to conceive, it was taking longer than we'd expected, and we went to the doctor to get things figured out. They tested him first, as they usually do, and they found his count and motility were abysmal. (Ever see that episode of The Simpsons where Homer's "boys" were swimming around and clunking into each other? Yeah.)

Needless to say, we were devastated and started doing some research of our own. We came across the info on soy and plant estrogen and were truly shocked at the damage it can cause in sensitive individuals. My husband has a milk sensitivity and was drinking up to a liter or soy milk a day.

My husband switched to almond milk in December, I found out I was expecting on March 28th.

Coincidence or not, I just don't trust it. I tell my story to everyone, and I just don't think between all the GMO and estrogen, that any human being should be consuming soy or soy products.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 16:53

Plan: Meats & Veggies
Stats: 255/167/160 Female 66 inches
BF:??/36%/25%
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
I said men should never eat *unfermented* soy, e.g., tofu, edamame, soy milk. There are too many xenoestrogens in these products that men aren't equipped to handle, since they have far fewer estrogen receptors than women. Nor did I say a small amount of soy would lead to death. But we should avoid hormonal damage much sooner than death. Would you eat just a small cookie, reasoning that a few grams of carbs wouldn't kill you?

Yes, I would. I would, in fact, eat a large cookie or three, should the mood strike me. Not on a regular basis, of course, but I certainly prefer to weigh my satisfaction with life against the long-term dangers of occasional forays into the verboten.

My due apology, though. I missed the 'unfermented' part. =)
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 17:29
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I don't eat soy often but if its part of a dish in a restaurant, I will partake.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 17:37

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

I only eat soylent green.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 18:04

Plan: HF/LC Primal
Stats: 235/134/130 Female 62 inches
BF:

No, I don't eat it. The phytic acid in soy (just like in grains) disrupts the way your body works.
I think small amounts of fermented soy is ok (but I have no desire to eat it).

If you want to read more here's an article from Mercola.
http://www.mercola.com/article/soy/avoid_soy.htm
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 18:42

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
0Angel0,

You should have started this thread in "The War Zone" area. Men should never eat unfermented soy, and women should eat a "minimal" amount to counter earlier menarche, and hence, longer-term exposure to estrogen.

I didn't mean for it to become a war lol! But yeah, that's probably a good place for it. Maybe a mod can move it?
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 19:06

Plan: Atkins/Primal/Real Food
Stats: 140/112/115 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 112%

I rarely eat soy.

Last edited by Cookie` : Sun, Feb-19-12 at 20:51.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-19-12, 19:24
Lipivore

Plan: Very Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 270/185/180 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I didn't even know there was such a thing as black soy. Obviously, I don't eat it.