Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#61   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 13:19
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
She'd put in beautiful fresh, colorful, raw ingredients, cover it, and twelve minutes later she'd open it up and it was all brown and stewy.

LOL! That doesn't sound like an endorsement for pressure cooking, but I get what you're saying.

I was curious if pressure cooking tough cuts of meats would be a good thing and found this: http://forums.egullet.org/index.php...h-cuts-of-meat/

Last edited by Nancy LC : Fri, Jan-06-12 at 13:25.
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 15:08

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Tough meat and tough vegetables are what a pressure cooker does best. If you put in tender meat or tender vegetables I think you'd produce mush.

I see what you mean about my description. I'm on P2 right now, I'm hungry so it sounded appetizing to me. I was trying to say something about how the ingredients are transformed into a meal faster than with a microwave.

Still want one of those. Can't think how to justify the expense. Maybe the savings in natural gas (for a stovetop model) or in electricity (for an electric one) would make it pay for itself? How much does it cost for the natural gas to cook a stew?
  #63   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 15:33

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

We use a pressure cooker to quickly cook a big, frozen roast. It takes less than an hour, and it comes out fully cooked and tender.
  #64   ^
Old Fri, Jan-06-12, 20:46

Plan: vLC/GF,CF,SF
Stats: 197/136/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 130%

If you have a hard time getting down 50g of protein within waking, on the Q&A on his website Kruse says:
Quote:
Does everybody need 50 grams of protein at breakfast during the LR Protocol, regardless of size or sex? My answer is yes, 50 grams is the minimum for success. If you’re bigger, you can go even past 70 grams. If you can’t eat that much protein, add fat to make up the rest.
I've been eating 50-70g of protein+fat for breakfast for years while losing & maintaining, though only 25-30g is usually protein; I independently came upon most of his recommendations for success during the last 7 years of tweaking what works for me.
  #65   ^
Old Sat, Jan-07-12, 11:05

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 253/237.1/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 14%

I am doing this as well! I have been Paleo since October and have lost 25 lbs. I don't think it was a good thing to start during the holidays though... I did recently put on 8 lbs overnight. I am wondering if it is the alka seltzer I took for a cold? Maybe that messed me up, but I needed something! I am noticing a huge change in how my clothes fit, clearer thinking and I have stopped taking all of my meds except thyroid and natural progesterone.

I have to take my thyroid on an empty stomach and wait 1 hour before eating. I do this in the morning, so I don't eat until 1 hour of waking.
  #66   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 11:32

Plan: ZC/VLC
Stats: 243/220/140 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 22%

anyone still doing this? I started last week. far from perfect on the guidelines but I am getting there
  #67   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 21:54

Plan: Back to Atkins Induction
Stats: 276/213/146 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

I'm doing a leptin eating style. Not Dr Kruse's, I read one of the books by Dr Richards and it made soo much sense to me. I don't do 50 grams of protein at breakfast, more like 30. It's enough to fill me up until lunch. That's all I need right now. Maybe down the line I'll increase breakfast and skip lunch, but right not it's driving me crazy mentally some days to not snack all day, so I'm clinging to lunch for the time being. But, I've lost five pounds in nine days. This after being stalled for quite too long. Feel free to read my journal to see details.
  #68   ^
Old Wed, Feb-29-12, 21:56

BF:

Rachel, are you doing the CT too?
Great job on the 5#!
  #69   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 11:09

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

This thread has piqued my interest. I haven't had a chance to read through the large list of links yet but will over the next few days. I credit most of my lost weight to IF'ing in addition to LC.

The past few weeks I've been eating breakfast and still have a huge appetite throughout the day, I know I am eating way too much between my meals and snacks, which is probably the cause of a solid 2-3 pound weight gain.

I'm gleaning that this is something I may be able to incorporate with my new habit of breakfast eating, it may be time to mix things up a bit.
  #70   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 12:51

BF:

mfish
Dr Kruse is kind of hard for me to read. I am slowly muddling thru it. There is a loooooonnnng thread with folks doing it over at MDA.

what I have gotten out of it so far is big breakfast(50 g of protein) within 30 min of waking, lunch 4-5 hrs later if needed, supper 4-5 hrs later. No eating outside of meals. Keep carbs below 25 to lose. Get away from artificial light after sundown. Cold therapy, and lots of testing to optimize your hormones.
  #71   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 19:02

Plan: Back to Atkins Induction
Stats: 276/213/146 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 48%

What is the CT?

I gave up on Dr Kruse for the time being. He needs a serious editor. I've checked the MDA thread on and off. I'm keeping it pretty simple for now, just my little rules, and I'm feeling good, losing weight and NOT hungry. Not that I don't still want to eat, mind you, but no physical hunger, just "habit munchies"
  #72   ^
Old Thu, Mar-01-12, 21:02

BF:

yes, he does need an editor, and the ability to put things into simpler terms that non neurosurgeons can comprehend

CT is cold therapy. Involves taking a cold bath. I dread it. Once I am in it its not that bad, but the thought of it really turns me off.
  #73   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 20:39

Plan: Whole 30 / IF
Stats: 195/175/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Today is my first day of on the leptin diet. So far so good. I so hope this is the answer for me. I've been having a horrible time with low blood sugar and no weight lose. I also have been sleeping terrible. Awake from 3-6 am. As I understand it, leptin is suppose to control sleep as well as weight lose.

A cold bath sounds dreadful. I think throwing myself into a snow bank would be more fun (but maybe not as effective).
  #74   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-12, 21:12

BF:

I was on it about 10 days and then blew it today : (

I think it does help with your sleep

The bath, I dread it, but once I am in it, its not so bad. I just get bored. I have been trying to listen to speakers from the paleo summit.

I wish someone would make a waterproof laptop so I could surf while I am in there!
  #75   ^
Old Sat, Mar-03-12, 14:12

Plan: Whole 30 / IF
Stats: 195/175/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Don't worry about blowing it. We can't be perfect.

How long do you stay in the cold bath? Gives me the willies thinking about it.

I thought I saw a waterproof tablet advertised.

I have a challenge tonight. We're meeting friends for dinner. I know they will be ordering bottles of wine. Wine is one of the quickest ways for me to get derailed. I think I'll go practice my polite "not thank you".