Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 11:58

Plan: Fung-inspired fasting
Stats: 336/000/160 Female 5' 9"
BF:
Progress: 191%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I may join you ladies. I have to do something to put the brakes on this rapid weight gain I'm experiencing!

Cool.

You will need to shop for meat and coconut oil. You also need to make a zero-carb, 50-gm-of-protein, 1-tablespoon-of-co breakfast plan before going to bed. There's no time to figure it out on the morning you start. Consuming 50 gm of protein in 30 minutes from the time you wake is an athletic event.

I also suggest giving up butter. We're supposed to be paleo on this thing but sometimes people on paleo include butter, which I'm newly suspicious of. Maybe butter has been holding me back all this time? I can't think of much else that's different. The only things I've changed are: 1) eliminating butter, 2) adding more coconut oil, and 3) the Big Ass Breakfast. I'll keep going with it, but I don't understand it.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 12:04
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Weird, he says:

Quote:
A. Try to eat as soon as possible upon rising in the AM, ideally within 30 minutes of waking. Make sure that breakfast has little to no carbs (less than 50 grams)

That's not what I'd call little to no carb. Later he says to limit carbs to 25g if you're trying to lose weight.

Quote:
... and has a lot of protein and fat. I use as a general rule 50-75 grams of protein with most patients. Some patients can use less and some need more.

So it sounds like the 50g is a guideline.

Quote:
The key point of knowing how much is right for you is your hunger later in the day. If you remain ravenous throughout the day, you need to eat more protein in the AM. If you can hold off eating until dinner you probably are at homeostasis for you. If you can skip both meals you likely are overdoing it at breakfast. As for sources, I suggest pastured or organic eggs first, served with left over dinner scraps of grass fed meats, poultry, or fish. A third option, although less ideal, would be whey protein or protein shakes.

Quote:
D. Do not work out before or after breakfast.

Uh, that's like the whole day and fits right in with my notions of working out. Okay, I know what he meant, but I found it funny.
  #18   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 14:10

BF:

He's inconsistent. There are other places where he is very clear that breakfast is zero carbs. He spells it out "zero".

In the pages I've read the 50 gms of carb is for the whole day for someone who isn't trying to lose. The 25 gm carb is the upper limit for the whole day for someone who does want to lose weight.

I'm surprised at the passage you found that says you can have less protein for breakfast. In what I was reading yesterday he was positively ranting that you cannot possibly eat less protein than that for breakfast no matter what your size or sex and expect to reset your leptin, you have to do things differently than you've done before, and on and on.

He contradicts himself here and there but on balance he directs people to follow the stricter guidelines; that's what I've been doing.

My sense of it is that he never set out to create a "program". I think he might have just started writing stuff to be helpful and then people wanted him to give more direction and it just evolved.

One point he is consistent on so far in my reading: no snacking ever period. This black & white emphatic rule has been good for me. I've discovered that I mindlessly reach for a handful of nuts or a bite of salami more often than I realized.

I wish it was laid out in one coherent book.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 14:40
Registered Member

Plan: KetoCarnivore
Stats: 206.6/178/160 Female 5'7
BF:awesome
Progress: 61%

Quote:
So it sounds like the 50g is a guideline.

28 grams per ounce..
3 oz of meat, fish or poultry (about the size of a deck of cards) is approximately 20 grams of protein.
got it.

Last edited by PilotGal : Sat, Dec-10-11 at 14:49.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 15:32
Experimenter

BF:

There's other stuff in meat like water, fat, a bit of fiber. 3 oz of flank steak, trimmed of fat is 18g of protein.
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-11, 16:56

BF:

I found this on his facebook page:

Quote:
I am looking for an overweight female who is interested in a one year bio hack experiment. The only requirements are to be overweight and have the ability to draw labs as the experiment progresses. You also should not be bashful and ready to bare your soul when asked too. Details will follow for those interested. The experiment begins in March 2012 and the deadline for selection will be Feb 1. If you think you or someone might be interested send me a PM for more details.

as of 19 hours ago he still has not found his candidate.

I'm finding the information he presents very interesting, though much of it is over my head.
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 08:31
Experimenter

BF:

Well, I bbq'd a brisket last night and it's as tough as shoe leather, so I'll try to slow cook it today. But I chewed through 6 oz of it and then ate 3 eggs. I figured I'd be superstuffed, but I'm not.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 10:44

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
I'm following you with interest. I'm not sure I could down 50g of protein within 30 minutes of rising. That's like 6 eggs!

Or 4 very large eggs and some meat. I do that every morning.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 11:38
Experimenter

BF:

Okay, I did 6oz of brisket and 3 jumbo eggs. Man!
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 11:56

Plan: I eat all of the eggs. :)
Stats: 600/400/160 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Quote:
Okay, I did 6oz of brisket and 3 jumbo eggs. Man!

Nice snack.
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 12:43
Experimenter

BF:

Oops, I may have goofed up. I had some sugar free mints. Is that a no-no? What about de-caf tea? My mouth wants to be entertained. :\

OMG! Just read Dr. Krause's story about how he stripped down to his speedos at Nordstrom's... not in a fitting room! The guy is a nut.

Last edited by Nancy LC : Mon, Dec-12-11 at 13:02.
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 14:03

BF:

Yeah, I read that one too. How embarrassing for the poor salesclerk. I like eccentrics but I hate people being put on the spot and not being able to escape because they're in some position of servitude. She has a great story to tell at parties now.

Saturday I messed up at that big Christmas party. I had planned to drink wine -- and I did -- but that clouded my judgement about dessert. In all, I ended up drinking 5 glasses of wine (too much, even if planned!), a slice of gluten-free cake, and a serving of some kind of weird pudding thing. I'm too empathetic -- someone made this horrible green pudding (maybe from a pistachio pudding mix? with cool whip, canned pineapple, nuts) and no one was touching it so I felt sorry for her and took a big scoop and told her how great it was. It was awful. Then someone poured me a glass of murky brown chocolate wine and spiked it with Kahlua and I drank that to be polite too. It was sickly sweet, I didn't like it and I drank every last drop of it. I need to develop a backbone, a backbone that can withstand a few glasses of wine. Or maybe I need to learn to turn down the first glass of wine and keep my wits about me.

Then, yesterday, I ate some samples at Whole Foods. Why do I do these things? Am I so cheap that I can't pass up a few free bites of cheese, which I've sworn off of?

I'm having some hunger issues too. These meals are filling but then I'm hungry 2 -3 hours later. I suppose he would say that's more proof that I'm leptin-resistant.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 14:08
Experimenter

BF:

Wouldn't he say you should eat a bigger breakfast? It's about 6 hours now and I'm still good.
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 14:22

BF:

Yes, I guess you're right. I'm having a hard time eating the 50 gms early in the morning as it is, but I guess I should try to increase it anyway.

Okay, tomorrow I'll go for 70!
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Dec-13-11, 10:35
Experimenter

BF:

Man, it was harder this morning. Of course, I woke up late so that didn't help. 3 jumbo eggs and 6 oz brisket. At least the brisket wasn't tougher than jerky today.