Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Karen's Corner
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Sat, Feb-26-05, 15:03
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/CALP/IF
Stats: 219/141/139 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 98%

I made this today and it was fabulous! Costco has beautiful pork shoulders and I bought a big one. I cut it into two and froze half for later.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 17:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

I know this is a simpleton's question but...what is a "skinless" pork shoulder? Does that mean it won't have any fat on it? If I go to any meat counter will they know what I mean when I say that, or do I need to go to a special butcher shop? Is it the kind of thing that I would want to get "skin" on it and then cut it off myself to use for something else?(I find cuts of meat, and their names, very confusing!)

BTW, Karen, your low carb cookbook is the BEST! My husband found it for me on amazon.com and gave it to me for Christmas. Despite the fact that I don't know much about cuts of meat, I really do love to cook, and after I started LCing I felt like my fun cooking days were over. But your recipes are fun to make and let me feel like I can be creative in the kitchen again. In addition to the great recipes, I discovered this forum because you spoke about it in the cookbook!
  #33   ^
Old Sat, May-21-05, 17:56
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I know this is a simpleton's question but...what is a "skinless" pork shoulder? Does that mean it won't have any fat on it?
It will still have the fat on it. Large cuts of bone-in pork like legs and shoulders are sometimes sold with the skin because you can get pork "crackling". So I specify that the skin be off because you won't get crackling with this method.
Quote:
BTW, Karen, your low carb cookbook is the BEST!
Thanks!

Karen
  #34   ^
Old Sun, May-22-05, 12:05

Stats: 194/131/135 Female 63 inches
BF:Too/Much/Fluff!
Progress: 107%

Thanks for the info!
  #35   ^
Old Tue, May-31-05, 02:10
Monday came.

Plan: my own
Stats: 275/228.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:ummm . . . ?
Progress: 39%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lasert
probably but I'd consider it a waste of a good loin.........there are many better ways to do a loin roast IMHO..

Please share. . .
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 18:20

Plan: atkins
Stats: 155/155/145 Female 5'11''
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by doreen T
hi Karen,

Pork shoulder is on sale here this week and I'd really love to make this .. I imagine the leftovers only get better with time

Question: I notice the rub has a Tbsp salt .. is the salt essential for the success of the recipe?? ie .. does the salt have a function like sealing in juices or something? Or can I leave it out?

Reason I ask ... most pork that's available in grocery stores has been "seasoned" with salt and sodium triphosphate (sodium tripolyphosphate). Granted, this helps pork to stay moist even with overcooking, but I find I need to reduce or even eliminate any added salt from recipes otherwise it ends up being TOO salty.

(There is at least one local butcher that sells organically raised pork unadulterated with additives, and it's naturally fatty and dark, the way good pork should be .. but of course it comes with a prohibitive luxury price tag.)

Doreen

if you have a pressure cooker, cook it in the same with plenty of water for about 1 hour, drain, and cook again for 1 hour in lots of water. this helps get rid of the salt and nitrates.
i would then season with karens mix, let sit overnight, roast for about 1 hour and enjoy!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Dec-01-05, 21:53

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 62%

I've got my pork shoulder "marinating" right now!
I thought I'd put the mixture into a Ziploc bag and kind of toss it around... well, that didn't really happen; there was too much meat and not enough space in there. But I was able to scooch it around to get the whole thing covered.
Can't wait to cook it up tomorrow!
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Dec-02-05, 09:38
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I had a friend that did some sort of a rub on duck that was out of this world! I need to try this recipe.
  #39   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 13:16

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:

Would someone please tell me where to find this recipe? Thanks
  #40   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 13:42

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Laura,

Click on 'Recipes' in the green bar at the top of the page. That will take you to where Karen has posted her wonderful recipes.
  #41   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 15:51

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 326/235/180 Female 6 ft.
BF:

Thank you Mike~I've never noticed the recipe thing at the top!!! How observant am I? Please don't answer that one!
  #42   ^
Old Sat, Dec-10-05, 19:07

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laura W
Thank you Mike~I've never noticed the recipe thing at the top!!! How observant am I? Please don't answer that one!
Don't feel bad, I had been posting on this site for over a year before I figured it out!
  #43   ^
Old Sat, Dec-17-05, 14:01
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I just shoved mine into the oven. I was a little saddened I had to wash off all those wonderful spices though!

Ok, reporting back: It is WONDERFUL! I'm definitely hooked on this dry curing thing. I need to collect more recipes!

Last edited by Nancy LC : Sun, Dec-18-05 at 09:35.
  #44   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-06, 03:53
Registered Member

Stats: 202/189/168 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I cooked Karen's pork shoulder yesterday and it was delicious. I was amazed at how the flavour of the rub managed to permeate the meat, even after being washed off. Will definitely do it again.
  #45   ^
Old Sat, Mar-25-06, 13:43

Stats: 190/159/140 Female 67 inches
BF:

I just made this again. It's so great. I didn't love the taste of the coriander seeds the first time, though, so I cut them down to 1/2 t and used a bit more rosemary.

Note to anyone who tries this: it may seem like a good idea to toss the garlic into the spice grinder with the other spices, but it's not. You get a little bit of tapenade to rub on the pork, and then you have to spend ten minutes carefully washing the thing out. Not worth it! Chop the garlic separately.