Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > CAD/CALP
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Nov-06-02, 16:20

Plan: Six week Body Makeover
Stats: 251.4/220.4/135 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

You are wise, Grasshopper, to listen to your body and mind.....

Take care....
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:22

Plan: Pregnant
Stats: 318.5/276/190 Female 5 9
BF:
Progress: 33%

Hi All,
Im lurking because I am thinking about CAD. I am also thinking about BFL. Its not that I am unhappy with Atkins, because in 5 months I have lost about 50 lbs (Didnt post my new numbers yet so shhh )

I drink (and always did) diet cokes, eat Atkins bars and eat SF jello. I am a definite SUGAR addict.

I think that what someone said in an earlier post is true. ITs so strange. For 4 months I did not cheat ONE time. I exercised all the time-I lost weight. Then, I had a tortilla with my fajitas, I had some small amt of rice with my chicken and another day I had chips and salsa. The weird thing? I LOST WEIGHT. I also checked my ketosticks and they were still pink. Its weird. I think that for my weight, I wasnt eating enough carbs and that upping the carbs was a great thing.

My only reservation about CAD is that I dont want to get in the habit of eating candy and sweets all the time again for RM. I think MENTALLY its not a good thing for me to do--its comfort food.

Opinions?

You are all doing great!
Vicki
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:43

Plan: General Lowcarbing
Stats: 188/185/150
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
because in 5 months I have lost about 50 lbs (Didnt post my new numbers yet so shhh )

I heard that!!

Roche
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 13:54

Plan: Atkins to CALP to general LC + BFL
Stats: 188/174/150
BF:
Progress: 37%

Hi VictoriaT:

I think I can accurately say that most of us on this thread switched to CAD/CALP because it just seemed right for our bodies. I only switched not quite two weeks ago, so I'm really green to this plan, but I've not found it difficult at all to control my carbs at my RM.

Right now, I've totally lost my appetite, but when I do plan my RM, I'm very careful to plan the WHOLE meal, including dessert--if any. So far, I haven't been tempted to add any extra carbs whatsoever, and I wake up the next morning still full from the night before and my meals have been very small so far. Of course you're right not to overindulge in sweets (or anything else really), but you just may find that giving yourself an occasional treat takes away the craving entirely. That's why this works for me.

Let us know what you decide to do!
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 14:23

Plan: Pregnant
Stats: 318.5/276/190 Female 5 9
BF:
Progress: 33%

Roche: Hee hee hee All my friends are over here lurking on this thread, but I did post it in my journal. I couldnt resist

Judy: Thanks I would love the thought of having...

a sandwhich!!!!

I miss my sandwhiches.

I miss cereal.

Yum yummy!
Ill keep on lurking on here though-its good to learn about things and nice to see successful people on BOTH plans
Vicki
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 14:56
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Hi Victoria
(congratulations on the weight loss)

Today is my first day of CALP and I was just reading they recommend in the options trading out sweets for complex carbs. I think it depends on the person. I like the idea of the reward meal so I can have Mexican food and sushi, most of my friends like pizza and now I can have a slice. So I think its great as a special occasion thing. But if I don't lose I'll be right on back to Atkins.
Nancy
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 21:14
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/308.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 32%

I'm back in town after three days.

SkySpinner

See. Work the plan and the plan works! Because it really is chemically based, you can't cheat. If you do, sometimes even once, it stops working.

Judy
The magic of CAD/CALP. Yes your appetite goes away and you really have to push to remind yourself to eat. Remember though, you must have at least one CM and one RM a day. The lack of hunger doesn't pass. Get used to it. This is your real body.

Others
You can have any fat as long as it's not margarine or shortening. Fat is not really limited. Your reward meals don't have to include sweets. Some carb addicts have a sweet tooth, some do not. The Reward Meal includes the carbs you want be it sweets, breads, or fruits.

Great to hear the success stories. Let's get this forum rocking!!
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 21:43

BF:

As I posted in my journal, I AM JUMPIN' SHIP! The Atkins ship, that is. And starting bright and early Friday a.m., I will be on CAD along with the rest of ya! I won't be going hog wild with sweets however. I have no sense of self control -regardless if there is a timer that goes off at sixty minutes. I am the type that would have to make a pan of brownies, save a couple for myself, and GIVE ALL THE REST AWAY to make sure I don't eat the rest. That is just how I am. If it is in the house, I have no sense of self-control. I have been known to rifle through every creak and cranny of our home to find any hidden chocolate and eat it until it is ALL GONE!! This may or may not work for me but I am willing to give it a shot.

I have been browsing through CAD for over a week and still going over it. I wanted to clarify about the sugar substitutes, now according to CAD, sugar substitues are not recommended? Does that include splenda and does that include diet sodas? Can I have a diet soda with a CM? I might be confused with what I have read on other posts, not sure. So also, does that mean that Pure Delight bars and such are discouraged on this plan? (Believe me, if they are discouraged, I am sure I will be satisfied with an occasional Hershey Bar at RM). And from what I understand, aside from the two CMs and the RM, no snacking, even if lowcarb.

Thanks for all the info. and advice I have been able to read, it sure has been helpful. Hope to keep learning more. Roche
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Nov-07-02, 23:40
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

Hi Roche- good luck for tomorrow, I'm eager to hear how it goes for you.

Today was day one. I was pretty hungry, just didn't eat enough, but had zero sweet cravings. I was looking forward to the rm all day. By the time I had salad, veges and fish I was so stuffed. I had a little bag of cracker jacks that I ate. That was 4 hours ago and I still have the after Thanksgiving feeling. I had all kinds of temptations today but I had absolutely no cravings or desire for sweets at all. Now if I can just lose this weight.

Nancy
  #55   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 07:29
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Roche

This is my personal opinion/understanding of CAD/CALP. If you fit the profile of a Heller carbohydrate addict then there is an actual chemical reaction that occurs when you ingest real carbs or even sweet tasting foods. That chemical reaction is an insulin surge that causes additional hunger/cravings or hypoglycemic reaction. The carbohydrate addict has a malfunctioning insulin regulator that causes the release of too much insulin at every feeding or ingesting of carbs.

An additional handicap, as I said, is that anything sweet tasting also causes this surge. This means that sugar free products such as gum, sodas, meal bars, candies, mints and other things also cause this reaction. That is why the Hellers specify that nothing is to be eaten between meals and that meals are restricted to no more than four a day. That is also why the use of sugar substitutes is also severely restricted.

As a trial, I would have no more than a total of 3 sugar substitutes a day taken with meals. Watch for your body's reaction and any continued hunger after the reward meal. If you are still hungry after the reward meal, cut down/out.
  #56   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 08:41

BF:

Well, isn't the Good Ship CAD/CALP just busting at the seams? That's great! I hope all the folks who just boarded her find the cuisine magnificent and the entertainment spectacular.

I am down 0.2 this AM, but still up from a couple days ago. I guess this is a "normal" swing, to be seen only w/ daily weights. And yes, I do plan to average.....

I had a CM day before yesterday, of hamburger patty and cucumber. First CM meal I've had, as I simply have not had any hunger at all. This is my sixth day of on-plan. But after that CM, my weight went up. I think the single meal a day plan is working best for me.

My only problem right now is getting overfull at RM. By the time I'm done eating the salad, protein and LC veggies, there's no room for the good stuff! And I, too feel "stuffed" for several hours after RM. Gonna do something to fix that today.

But it's great to be relieved of the need to eat. That insulin information is really right-on.

Question for the gurus here.....I can't find it in the books. Is it legal to drink black, unsweetened decag coffee or tea between meals? It's listed w/ the "Craving-Reducing Foods", and the Hellers say to drink lots of water and other non-caloric beverages, but don't mention the timing of black coffee or tea. What's our "group conscience" take on this one, please?

Hope you are all having a wonderful day and continue to win!

Take care.....
  #57   ^
Old Fri, Nov-08-02, 15:37
Finding the Pieces

BF:

Coffe and tea are fine anytime unless you react to caffeine. It is what you put into it that causes the problem. Limit yourself to 3 sugar substitutes a day and if you have reactions further limit it.

Re balanced reward meal. Most times I don't but I try to be concious not to overdo or not to overdo everyday. But I do think about it and always include veggies. Unless I'm having breakfast for dinner. My most pig out meals seem to be breakfast for dinner. All those carbs! Yum!! I often cut juice out though. But toast and jam, pancakes, home fries. Don't get me started!!

What I like about the plan is that everyone needs to find their own level and that level will be very individual. Your food needs can also vary with TOM and stress.

My plan was usually two meals a day. Sometimes the CM was very small. Sometimes the RM was very large. It all depended. Sometimes I only had 1 meal, sometimes I needed three. Sometimes I used to have veggies for breakfast, just to get them in.

Re hunger, lack thereof--I think there is a quote in the CAD book where one of their patients comments, "The voice is gone. You know that voice in the back of your head that is always wondering what you're going to eat next and when you're going to eat. That voice is gone." "This must be what a normal person feels like." It's like that.
  #58   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 09:06

BF:

Friday, November 8, 2002

226.0. A new low since starting Atkins. I worked diligently on not overeating yesterday, made absolutely NO effort to balance anything, and I think it worked out very well.

Hope everyone is having a great weekend. Take care, all.....
  #59   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 13:46

BF:

Okay, I did it. One day of CAD accomplished. I actually was able to eat the two CMs and one RM without snacking in between. Hm.....maybe I CAN.....do this. Finished off RM with six minutes left on timer!! Ended up having the potato soup, french bread, and chocolate chip cookies. Oh, those cookies were divine!! Today had br. of eggs & bacon, lunch of bacon cheeseburger (no bun) and RM of japanese food. Can't wait for that miso soup, rice and teriyaki chicken.

"Breakfast" for an RM sounds awesome, as well. Ever since looking into CAD, (THANKS SO MUCH SHEILA AND SKYSPINNER!!), I have heard from others who previously did CAD or who know others who did CAD. Seems like the consensus is that it is a really manageable eating plan.

Everyone have a great weekend, Roche
  #60   ^
Old Sat, Nov-09-02, 13:49

BF:

BTW, I remember reading in CAD to try and be consistent with keeping RM "about" same time every day (like don't switch back & forth between br. and dinner., etc). I am assuming from reading Zuileka's posts and others, that one or two CM's a day isn't an issue. for example, if I don't feel like eating lunch (CM), that won't effect my blood sugars or whatever, right? I can just go to RM in evening, right?

Thanks Roche