Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-11, 08:20

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

Happy Anniversary, Jillybean!!!! Hope you guys have an awesome day!!

I hear ya about the eating thing. I always have a hard time a few days before my midwife visits. Grrrrrr So annoying. After all, I know I'm gonna be weighed and it's gonna show up on the scale. Oh well, I hope your labs come back ok.
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-11, 15:40

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Happy Anniversary Jillybean!!

I got my first ultrasound today!! We got to see the heartbeat. We will hear the results of the ultrasound from the office soon.
  #33   ^
Old Mon, Oct-10-11, 17:02

Plan: Keto/Low Carb
Stats: 309.4/301.6/249.4 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 13%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jillybean7
Also, I want to encourage not only pregnant women, but those trying to become pregnant or low-carbing to become healthy for potential upcoming pregnancies to join in the chat!

Hi Gals!
I hope you don't mind me jumping into the chat.

My Hubby and I have been struggling with Infertility for nearly 8 years now. I do not have any children nor have I had any pregnancies or losses. I have PCOS, hypothyroidism, Insulin Resistant and very mild HBP. I am currently on medication for all of those.

We are about to embark thru the journey of fertility treatments again after the 1st of the new year. I am trying to focus on losing some weight and getting healthier so that my body might be better able to become pregnant.

Just a little about me.
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-11, 09:39

BF:

That is so exciting to hear that little heartbeat. Even though this is my 6th, I am still amazed every time I hear it. Congrats, Kaylakala!!!!

Welcome, Emzi06!!!! I'm glad you joined us!!! I see you live in Indiana. I live right outside Indianapolis. One of my brothers and his wife have struggled with infertility. After 5 years, they did the same as you and did fertility treatments. They now have 2 beautiful girls!! My heart goes out to you and I will definitely keep you in my prayers that the treatments will work.
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-11, 10:32

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

meh, we ended up not doing anything for our anniversary. By the time Jeff got home from work, I was ready for a nap. We ended up just having dinner at our local steakhouse (we end up there usually 1-2 times a week).

Emzi - Welcome! Have you been low-carbing for long? It usually helps with pretty much all of the conditions you've listed, so if you're new to this, hopefully you'll see some improvements soon!
  #36   ^
Old Tue, Oct-11-11, 14:37

BF:

Thank-you so much for the welcomes! I was hoping it'd be okay to join in the conversation...even though I'm not pregnant nor am I a mother.

eriksgirl - Yup, I'm a Hoosier--born & raised! I'm from northern Indiana, but currently I'm in Frankfort which is an hour from Indy. We actually used to live in Indy a couple years ago.

Congrats to your brother & his wife! It is always so exciting to hear about fertility treatment success stories. We tried a few rounds of Clomid back in 2007, no success. Now, we're ready to try again!

jillybean7 - I just last week started low-carbing again. I did low carb back in 2007 and was able to lose 30lbs. My SW then was 285, so I was able to get down to 255--I was feeling good, but then we suddenly had to move and Hubby lost his job...life took over and I fell off the wagon.

On Sept 18th (last month) Hubby and I started the new WWP+ plan. The first week I lost 5lbs, which I assume was mostly water weight. The 2nd week I followed the plan to a "T" and managed to gain 2.2 pounds for no reason. I was eating 100% whole grains, low fat/fat free, lean protein, lots of veggies/fruit and I still managed to gain. That right there was the, I guess you could say, final straw. I decided to come back to LC WOE. My body is WAY too sensitive to carbohydrates not to mention sugar.

At my weigh-in Sunday I lost 2.6lbs for a partial week, not bad. This week I'm already down a few more pounds, so I'm looking forward to a good loss on the scale this week.

Sorry for the rambling, lol.

I am really hoping to improved my chances of obtaining pregnancy. I suppose you could say, "I'm getting healthy for BABY!"
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 07:26

BF:

Emzi, sounds like your on a good path! I am very sensitive to carbs, too. If I even eat a piece of fruit right now, I crave all things carb. Mainly, sweets. LOL I've heard (and, read) that LC'ing does improve your chances of getting pregnant. Also, I've heard of Frankfort, but can't say that I've been. My husband worked for about 6 months in Warsaw, so I would travel back and forth to see him. I took the kids to Amish country while we were up there. I loved it, but they weren't impressed. LOL
  #38   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 09:29
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/211/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%

welcome emzi06,I just wanted to add that I was on a board where women did a moderate lc diet called Metabolism Miracle.they have a slightly diffrent concept than Atkins,but a lot of women,after years of trying got pregnant on that diet.The author gives a detailed explanation on how insulin spikes sabotages conception and pregnancy,I was not conceiving second time,and I started this diet and conceieved in 1 month only.The site has lots of articles on the conditions you mentioned and how you can improve them.
The Atkins style diets(very lc) are also very good for conception and preggs.Wish you good luck.

eriksgirl,I hear ya about those raw meat aversions.I had this for about 4 months.Then I found out that if the meat/veggies were grilled or fried I was ok.That meant roasting veggiesin oven,frying sweet potatoes,turnips and rutabagas,grilling asparagus etc.i was also drawn to burgers,sausages etc.So as long as I could keep them down,i had them.Dh helped with washing and prepping meat and I would come into the kitchen when tthey are half way cooked.That way I have no aversions by then.I could not tolerate anything steamed or cooked in water.Everything had to be dry and roasted.I wonder if the little one's eating habits will turn out this way.
In other news,I have somehow managed to come back to lc,I am doing a moderate version,since I only need to lose 10-20lbs and then maintain the rest until delivery.(thats hoping that 20-30 will come off in the postpartum period)Thats how it was last preggs.With my newfound love for grilled meat,I am moving on.
  #39   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 16:01

BF:

eriksgirl - I've read about LC increasing fertility. Also, Warsaw? I grew up 15 minutes north of there, we did all of our shopping in that town. Such a small world, lol. I'm from Amish country...our Walmarts have buggy stalls.

primrose26 - That is so awesome that LC helped you conceive. I find that very encouraging! I have never heard of Metabolism Miracle, I'll have to do a little research and see if I can find anything on the boards about it.

Also, I just wanted to say that I called my Dr office tonight to set up an appointment to start Clomid. I thought I could make it to the first of the new year, but I'm just feeling way too anxious, lol. It's been almost 8 years...I can't wait any longer! :P Anyhow--there was no one at the appointment desk since it was after 5, so I left a message for them to call me back.

We tried Clomid (for 3 cycles) back in 2007, but it was unsuccessful. We are SO SUPER excited to give it a try again. I really wanna be a Momma!

Hope everyone had a good day!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Oct-12-11, 23:25

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i'd definitely say that atkins helped my fertility. i got pregnant just a couple of weeks after i started lowcarbing. i have pcos and it really helps modulate my hormones to stay lc
  #41   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-11, 05:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
i'd definitely say that atkins helped my fertility. i got pregnant just a couple of weeks after i started lowcarbing. i have pcos and it really helps modulate my hormones to stay lc

That's fantasitc! Great news to hear. I also have PCOS. I am hoping that LC will boost my fertility and regulate my hormones. Do you mind me asking how long you were TTC w/ PCOS? Just curious...it's been nearly 8 years for me! Also, are you on any medications for the PCOS?

Happy Thursday girls!
  #42   ^
Old Thu, Oct-13-11, 09:31

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

i wasnt on any pHarmaceutical meds, but i was taking some herbs~vitex, milk thistle, nettle, red raspberry leaf
we had been trying for about a year, i guess. 8 yrs is so long to wait for a baby, i hope things work out for you.
have you seen the 'benefits of ketosis in pregnancy' thread? there are some podcasts with dr. fox, a reproductive endocrinologist who has fantastic success with putting his patients (and their spouses!) on a very low carb diet for fertility and to prevent miscarriage.

all the best to you~
  #43   ^
Old Fri, Oct-14-11, 11:08

BF:

Hi walnut,
I tried to go all natural and supplement with vitex and progesterone cream, but I didn't see much improvement. After 3 cycles the progesterone cream stopped working. I was on vitex for a year and didn't see any improvements. I started by taking 800mg/day and upped it to 1200mg/day when I didn't see any improvement. I gave up after that and went back to my Dr to talk about fertility medication.

The Dr put me back on metformin (blech.) and also put me on a Provera regime. I was to use Provera to induce my cycle every 35 days if I got a negative HPT. I had to do this for 6 cycles. The provera has gotten my cycle down to about 43 days, but I'm still not ovulating very strongly...if at all! I'm now at the end of my 6 cycles and it's time for Clomid.

I have a Dr appointment for Oct 28th, which funnily enough is the exact day I should be starting AF. If all pans out, I might be able to start Clomid the cycle. Hopefully they won't need a SA from Hubby as he had one several years ago and Dr said he was "good to go" lol.

Also, Oct 28th is 2 days before my birthday, so going on Clomid would be a FANTASTIC birthday present! Hehe.

Yes, 8 years is a long time to wait for a baby. It's been discouraging and downright heartbreaking at times, but the way I look at it is... When I *finally do* get pregnant and have a baby it'll be just THAT much more worth it in the end. Everything happens for a reason and maybe I wasn't supposed to be a Mommy yet. God has a silly sense of humor sometimes, lol.

Happy Friday y'all! Sorry this post was so long-winded...guess I had a lot to say!
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Oct-15-11, 06:14

BF:

I'm starting to have a really hard time staying on track. sighing I generally only eat one meal a week off of the LC, but then I'm left with a 3 pound gain or so. I feel like I'm gaining more eating one cheat meal than if I wasn't LC'ing at all. I look forward to that meal all week and am not sure if I can cut it out or not. But, I DON'T want to gain a ton and I'm already up 17 pounds and I'm 23 weeks. Gotta long way to go and 2-3 pounds a week just isn't gonna work. Any tips??

Emzi, I hope October 28th is your day!!!! That would be awesome!!!
  #45   ^
Old Wed, Oct-19-11, 06:06

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

Got quiet in here! I've been very busy - we've been looking at houses, made an offer on one, didn't get it, now back to looking...also researching and planning for renting out our townhouse and the tax implications of being a landlord...and work has picked up quite a bit, so I've been working some extra hours here and there...oh, AND I'm pregnant and tired :P Holding off on buying nursery furniture for now since we're not sure if we'll be moving or not, so not sure where the nursery will be!

I'm 17 weeks as of yesterday, so just watching the days SLOOOOWLY tick by until my 20-week anatomy ultrasound. I'm still not showing at all and am still about 5-6 pounds lower than when I found out I was pregnant (have regained about 5.5 pounds back up from my lowest). My eating has been horrible for the past few weeks. I know it's more a matter of convenience than anything else because I'm just so TIRED all the time, but I've also gotten a bit moodier and more tired at additional times during the day and just feeling more *blah* in general, and I really think getting my diet back on track will help immensely. If only I could afford a personal grocery shopper and home chef :P

eriksgirl - I wish I could be more helpful, but I only lost weight earlier on by staying pretty strictly low carb, high fat, and as natural as possible. I couldn't do weekly cheat meals because they would send me into a tailspin of cravings and whatnot (that's how I got off track this time to begin with, and now it's been like 3 weeks!). I assume you're drinking plenty of water or else that would be my first suggestion - increase the water! Especially after a cheat meal when you're much more likely to end up retaining fluid.