Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#76   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-11, 10:57

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

Jimmy Moore has a nice blog post that sums up all the reviews of Wheat Belly and the podcast that Dr. Davis has participated in

http://livinlavidalowcarb.com/blog/...an-impact/11595
Sponsored Links
  #77   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 19:59

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just curious because I don't know if it's coincidence or not but I'm now on day 3 (or 4?) of being totally grain free and yesterday and today, I've had a little bit of a stomach ache in the form of cramping and some gurgly noises. Anyone experience this when they cut grains out?

Also, the good news is that I've felt good, no stomach bloating or gas, and no constipation. Too early to say it's all related to cutting out wheat/grains, but still good news.
  #78   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-11, 04:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

When I cut out all grains, I got a glowy feeling from my digestive tract. You know that feeling when the splinter comes OUT? That feeling.
  #79   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-11, 09:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAwoman75
Just curious because I don't know if it's coincidence or not but I'm now on day 3 (or 4?) of being totally grain free and yesterday and today, I've had a little bit of a stomach ache in the form of cramping and some gurgly noises. Anyone experience this when they cut grains out?

Also, the good news is that I've felt good, no stomach bloating or gas, and no constipation. Too early to say it's all related to cutting out wheat/grains, but still good news.

Some people have withdrawal like symptoms. Perhaps that is what is happening to you.
  #80   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-11, 11:14

Plan: 160g animal protein/day
Stats: 185/167/165 Female 5'10
BF:35
Progress: 90%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
When I cut out all grains, I got a glowy feeling from my digestive tract. You know that feeling when the splinter comes OUT? That feeling.

Great analogy :-)

I need to get my hands on this book soon. Some people on Amazon said they didn't like the fact that the author went in to so much of the history about wheat, but that's the part that looks the most interesting to me. It's kind of like GCBC. People complained that it's too in depth and too much history. But how are we going to start a dialogue without knowing the nitty-gritty in depth information?
  #81   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 05:14

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
But how are we going to start a dialogue without knowing the nitty-gritty in depth information?

As a low carb advocate, I was expecting more of that; but the focus is narrow and concentrated... wheat wheat wheat.

But I think that's a good idea; just getting people to lose that one item is going to be tough enough. And that is going to freak them right out, too.

Because when I explain how I eat, the response I get is, I can't possibly live without bread!

And I know they don't believe me when I say I don't miss it...

So Dr Davis focused on this one thing because there is plenty to say about it and side trips would make it a different kind of book.
  #82   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 07:21

Plan: Whole food, semi low carb
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Just a little update, I kept a little stomach ache for a couple days after going grain free but now I'm feeling MUCH better! No signs of constipation or bloating, my stomach is totally flat. I got a copy of the book the other day and I'm about 1/3 of the way through it.
  #83   ^
Old Sun, Sep-18-11, 10:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
As a low carb advocate, I was expecting more of that; but the focus is narrow and concentrated... wheat wheat wheat.

But I think that's a good idea; just getting people to lose that one item is going to be tough enough. And that is going to freak them right out, too.

Because when I explain how I eat, the response I get is, I can't possibly live without bread!

And I know they don't believe me when I say I don't miss it...

So Dr Davis focused on this one thing because there is plenty to say about it and side trips would make it a different kind of book.

If it's hurting us and making us sick, that should be enough incentive to quit wheat and other grains. When I was growing up, I got sick all the time. I'm not saying that I know for sure if this contributed to it, but I used to eat a LOT of bread and I drank sugar-filled pop all the time. I'm starting to believe more and more that carb-laden foods weaken the immune system.
  #84   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-11, 08:19

Plan: IF/Keto OMAD
Stats: 236.9/214.1/199 Female 66 inches
BF:Why yes/it/is !!!
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brinethery
If it's hurting us and making us sick, that should be enough incentive to quit wheat and other grains. When I was growing up, I got sick all the time. I'm not saying that I know for sure if this contributed to it, but I used to eat a LOT of bread and I drank sugar-filled pop all the time. I'm starting to believe more and more that carb-laden foods weaken the immune system.

a similar story of when I was a kid, my ENT surgeon, restricted my diet for a couple of years where I was off all wheat and grains, corn, tomatoes, chocolate, eggs and a few other things. I could only have rice cakes or cooked rice as a grain(boy was I mad!!) but it really did help my health.

I wish I had not rebelled and gone back to the SAD that everybody in the 70's was so gung-ho on...I probably could have prevented pretty much all of my current health problems.
  #85   ^
Old Tue, Sep-20-11, 08:41

Plan: IF/Low carb
Stats: 219/201/172 Male 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

Quote:
That is to say, after you've cut out wheat if you don't see an effect, you haven't waited long enough.

Or maybe you have not really cut out wheat completely.
  #86   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 07:15

Plan: Atikins
Stats: 310/296.5/220 Male 5 feet 11 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%
Default Wheat Belly by Dr. Davis

Has anyone started the new book yet? I have and it is so scary if you are a true believer in LC.
I have been w/o wheat for 13 days now and I can relate to alot of his points in the book. I am about half done and it is eye opening to say the least and I am an open minded person and am sure there is an opposite point of view as well but makes you think and wonder if between wheat and HFC we are slowly killing ourselves.....
  #87   ^
Old Thu, Sep-22-11, 08:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 145/120.5/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

Yes, I read it...I found Taubes' new book to be more insightful, but then again, I like scientific explainations for things. This one is good too though. It makes total sense and its really just confirmation of what we know.
  #88   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 13:12

Plan: No Whites/No Grains
Stats: 275/250/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%
Default Grain Foods Foundation blog, WOW!

Found this blog posting on the SixServings.org website showing their "perspective" on the new book "Wheat Belly" by cardiologist Dr. William Davis. You got to read what they say, I am howling. I am grain free as quite a number of us here are. Five years ago I may have agreed with what this foundation blog says, but now, it is actually deadly information to be posting this stuff. If you feel moved to post a rebuttal, go for it.

http://www.sixservings.org/2011/08/500/
  #89   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 14:26

#90   ^
Old Sat, Sep-24-11, 15:13

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF: