Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-11, 08:08
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 295/196.6/155 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 70%

Walnut. Have you gained any weight since becoming pregnant?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-11, 10:21

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

Quote:
Originally Posted by MeAndVee
Walnut. Have you gained any weight since becoming pregnant?

nope. I'm at 8w6d and by definition i'm still obese.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/pr...ht-gain/PR00111 mayo clinic says i could gain a total of 11lbs and be within their recommendations. If i gain any weight i want it to be in the second half of pregnancy when the baby is actively growing.

It's not uncommon to lose weight in the first trimester due to food aversions and nvp. Lots of women drop junkfood for their baby when they get pregnant and lose weight too.

We're only actually supposed to eat an extra 250-300 calories per day. That's a couple handfuls of almonds. It's definitely not eating for two! Lol

i've been following dr. Fox's recommendation (i think theres a link up the thread to a podcast interview with him) and have been eating every 2 hours or so. So i'm definitely eating enough! Lol

http://www.babycenter.com/404_is-it...-pre_1512530.bc
wow~ have a look at the comments. So many pregnant ladies losing weight...
  #18   ^
Old Mon, Sep-12-11, 10:49
Registered Member

BF:

I read that too about the 300 extra calories. Not too hard to do at all! How many carbs are you eating a day do you think? My second pregnancy I went and saw a nutrionist and asked her how much calories I should be eating? She said she didnt know. Money well spent! Next pregnancy I will not be counting calories. Just carbs.

I'm still obese but feeling pretty freakin' awesome. Especially now that I am out of the 200s!!! The only thing wrong with me is my weight. Everything else about me is spot on healthwise.
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-11, 05:13

Plan: low carb/high fat
Stats: 179/154/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 57%

MeandVee, Congrats on being in the 100's!!!! Yay!!! After I had my 4th baby, I was over 200, so I know the feeling. If that's you in the profile pic, you look freaking awesome.

Ok, so I love the http://blog.yourlighterside.com, and http://www.dietdoctor.com sites. I made the Oopsies rolls last night and they were AWESOME!! Also, the greek yogurt museli recipe he has on there is AMAZING. I felt incredibly full.....which is hard to achieve being pregnant. Haha
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-11, 06:17

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

When I found out I was pregnant (maybe 8 weeks in), my weight was bouncing around a bit in the high 180s. I'm now 12 weeks, and I'm down to 178 consistently. I'm still overweight (I believe 154 pounds would put me in the "normal" BMI category - I'm 5'6). I'm hoping to keep weight gain to a bare minimum throughout my pregnancy since I'm overweight to begin with. I won't freak out if I do start gaining, though, as long as I am honestly eating healthy and not just caving to junk!

I would estimate I come in around 50g of carbs per day. A good 90% of the time, I completely avoid grains (sometimes they sneak in when I eat out!), but I do eat some fruit and drink some light fruit juice (sweetened with erythriotol and stevia, no artificial sweeteners) and some organic whole milk. That's where the majority of my carbs come from.
  #21   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-11, 08:58

i think it's a myth that overweight pregnant women need to gain gobs of weight in order to have a healthy baby, especially if they start the pregnancy obese (like me. Sigh). There are sooo many hazards to being obese in pregnancy, just google, it's staggering.

How can it be harmful to eat healthfully on a non-calorie restricted nutrient dense diet that results in maternal fat loss? ...thus reducing some of the risk factors associated with obesity in pregnancy... I dont think anyone is ever going to pull off the requisite double blind study for that one, just because of the ethics involved with experimenting on the unborn children. But for me, logic says it would be crazy for me to intentionally gain a bunch of fat when i'm already carrying an extra 45lbs or so. ykwim? I wish that i had lost more weight before i got knocked up, but thats just not how things worked out.

Anyways, someone asked how many carbs i'm eating. I stopped counting, but it's low. Well under 50, i'm sure. Probably closer to 30. Anything higher than that and i feel horrible with nausea. I spent the first 5 1/2 months with my son puking my guts out, so i feel very lucky to find such a simple cure for the morning sickness. I think i probably had too many nuts yesterday~i feel queasy this morning. I know that as soon as i have some protein ill feel fine though.

Ps, congrats m&v for getting into the hundrfeds! Thats a huge accomplishment eriksgirl, i've been meaning to try oopsies for ages and i saw a recipe for a coconut biscuit http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/l...le-biscuit.html that looked good too. Jill, im right behind you at 9wks and soo glad to see your journey and how well youu're doing
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-11, 12:32
Registered Member

BF:

Eriksgirl That picture is abouht 15 lbs ago! I dont see the change like everyone else though. I feel better and that is all that matters for me.

I am eating about 10-20 carbs a day right now. Still trying to get pregnant though. I plan to try to not gain any for atleast the first 20 weeks.

Go have protien Walnut! Hope you are feeling better.
  #23   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-11, 04:53

BF:

Jillybean, that is so awesome that you are doing so well. I know the first trimester can be very difficult for some women. I'm not quite sure how many carbs I am getting in a day. I would assume its around 30 or less. Most of mine come from nuts, greek yogurt, unsweetened coconut, and a few berries. Once I upped my fat intake, things seem to have stabled out. My hunger is under control and my weight is dropping a little but I'm sure will balance out once my body gets used to it and I figure out just how many carbs I really need. Maybe I need to increase?? Not sure yet.

The Oopsie rolls were outta this world!!! I added 2 Tbsp parmsean cheese to mine and my husband came home and ate the whole pan. LOLOL I would definitely recommend it. Extremely easy to make, too. Next time, I think I will add protein powder.

Thanks for the coconut biscuit recipe. I will try that today and let you know how it turns out. I love trying new recipes. Oooookay, guess I've talked everyone's ear off for the morning......haha
  #24   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-11, 06:51

BF:

I would have fewer carbs daily if I would ditch the fruit and drink only water, but I have gotten SO sick of plain water for some reason, so I now have the whole milk or light cranberry juice when I take my vitamins (which is 4 times per day). I also can't seem to cut the fruit! But I finished off the organic green grapes I had at home. I have some organic peaches, but they're not softening at all for some reason, so too hard to eat (plus, my husband likes them, so I'll likely only get to have 2 of them, if not just 1!). I can't eat Greek yogurt plain, so I mix in this "superfruit" stuff that has 7g sugar per tablespoon (and I do measure out only 1 tablespoon at a time!). I figure I'm still doing better than those eating candy corn, ice cream, and cookies, right?

I also need to cook at home more often, but, man, I just HATE cooking so much. And cleaning, especially doing dishes. Ugh. I would be a dismal failure as a housewife! So, we eat out a LOT. And then I have my restaurant leftovers for lunch the next day, so I don't even make my own LUNCH! I've heard that we tend to get a magical surge of energy in the second trimester, so I'm looking forward to putting some of that energy into cooking. Right now, I am DONE by about 6-7pm and am asleep on the couch because I'm so tired. I try to force myself to do at least ONE productive thing when I get home from work before crashing on the couch, which usually ends up being taking the dogs outside for a while, emptying the dishwasher, or doing a load of laundry (or half load - switching loads from dryer to basket and from washer to dryer).
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Sep-15-11, 04:59

BF:

Jillybean, girl, I hear ya on the energy. I have good days and bad and have come to accept the bad. LOL I do as much as I can on the high energy days cause I know that I'll be crashing very soon. Good luck with the second trimester energy surge. sighing Mine never came. Oh well, I refuse to feel guilty about what I don't get accomplished.

Greek yogurt is my main staple right now. Haha I use it for everything. I made "ice cream" last night with it and it turned out really good. Used 1 cup greek yogurt, 1/2 scoop protein powder, 2tbsp heavy cream, and a little carmel DaVinci's s.f. syrup. Stuck it in the freezer for about 30 minutes and it was awesome.

I am so turned off to meat right now. Just the thought of touching it, cooking it, eating it, makes me wanna hurl. If I eat out, I have no problem eating meat. I just don't want to see it raw. Yuck. Pregnancy does weird things to ya. LOL
  #26   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 10:58

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Hey all walnut thanks for the information. I just got the "official" pregnanacy test from my gp. I asked him about lc during pregnancy. He said go for it. He's been lc for over 10years.
He said when a baby chick is in an embryo it is surrounded by fat and protein. We don't need the carbs.
He also said don't tell them about my diet its none of their business
  #27   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 11:31

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala
Hey all walnut thanks for the information. I just got the "official" pregnanacy test from my gp. I asked him about lc during pregnancy. He said go for it. He's been lc for over 10years.
He said when a baby chick is in an embryo it is surrounded by fat and protein. We don't need the carbs.

Hold on to that GP - he's a keeper!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 19:46

wow, that's awesome. sounds like a great doc.
  #29   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-11, 05:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaylakala

Now, THAT is an awesome doctor. Yay!!! Other than my husband, no one in my life knows that I LC while pregnant. They would blast me from here to kingdom come with their "LC wisdom". Haha
  #30   ^
Old Sat, Sep-17-11, 08:30

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

Yeah I'm going to miss him during my pregnancy. At least I can tell my family and friends that my Doctor told me to eat low carb while pregnant!!

Walnut I hear you on the upping your carbs and nausea and low energy. Without being low carb I suffer from severe low energy when I'm not pregnant. I'm in college full time and have 2 other kids at home and I work part time. LOL I also have a dog and a cat and a husband and and ex(the father of my 3 other kids the 19 year old is no longer at home) that gives me all kinds of problems. I just CANNOT afford to feel like crap.