Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 12:45

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by aj_cohn
What Stapel did was worse than Campbell's misuse of real data. At least with the China study, you can analyze the data to form interesting hypotheses for clinical tests. Denise Minger, who exposed Campbell's shenanigans, found a strong correlation between wheat consumption and weight gain in his data, independent of other variables.

Stapel fabricated data (and people) wholesale.

Oh I agree, Stapel went far beyond what Campbell did. Campbell just ignored the actual data he had and when confronted about it resorted to some pretty immature tactics to defend his work. Stapel appears to be an out and out fraud. I don't know where the funding for his work came from but hypothetically if it had come from the NIH or NSF or some other US government agency he'd possibly be subject to criminal penalties and the institutions receiving the grant could be forced to repay them.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Fri, Nov-04-11, 03:52

Plan: Avoid PUFA, sugar & bread
Stats: 240/210/150 Female 156cm
BF:
Progress: 33%

Browsing a few articles in Dutch digital newspapers, I read that the Universities of Tilburg and Groningen plan to jointly prosecute him. The University of Amsterdam is considering revoking his doctor's title.

But they write that partly the blame is on his fellow scientists who should have handled his data more thoroughly. Because of their lack of scrutiny, the fraud which started in 2004 was only recently revealed.

The Dutch papers speak of the biggest fraude ever in Holland, and possibly the biggest scientific fraud ever in the entire world.

I also read that Stapel apologized in writing and that he says he feels very ashamed that he has so greatly damaged the reputation of social psychology (his field of study).
  #48   ^
Old Sat, Nov-05-11, 12:50

Plan: My own
Stats: 250/161.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 74%

oops, a duplicate link. sorry
  #49   ^
Old Wed, Nov-30-11, 13:07

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 392/289/200 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 54%

This ends justify the means thinking has resulted in a lot of bad science. I used to hold scientists in such high esteem but now I am quite jaded about it all. Science and politics should never be mixed.
  #50   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 11:54

Plan: Low carb, high fat keto
Stats: 310/212/183 Male 6'0"
BF:D
Progress: 77%

A steak, an omelette, or fish? All good choices.

Not sure what I would take. I don't think it would be very reflective or whether I'm a jerk or not.
  #51   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 13:13
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Diederik Stapel, who heads the Tilburg Institute for Behavioral Economics Research

He isn't JUST a researcher... he HEADS the entire institute!

I might add that my views on psychology and economics as sciences are nearly as deflated as my views on nutrition as science (or rather, the dimwits doing it or pretending to) so this is kind of like THREE kinds of humor all in one here.

If you lie on an expense report in a company generally, you get fired. They assume if you did it now you probably did it before, will do it again, and are probably dishonest in other areas as well. This goes even for stellar employees. I have to say that I'm tempted to seriously question his data for all the past that made him so glorious now, too. I have run into people in other science fields who were just bozos that way and it nearly always turned out to be a character flaw that once you knew about it, you could track back a ways.

Can we blame character issues on bad diets and excuse him? Oh wait, I think I've heard of that subject before. :-)

PJ
  #52   ^
Old Mon, Dec-12-11, 13:16
Every moment is NOW.

Plan: LC (ketogenic)
Stats: 520/381/280 Female 66 inches
BF: Why yes it is.
Progress: 58%

oh, but I missed this part:

Quote:
In a study, a group of test persons were made to feel insecure. After that they were given the choice to eat either a steak, an omelette or fish. In the insecure group 60 percent chose the steak, while in the control group only 20 percent preferred that kind of meat.

This part, at least, would actually SUPPORT meat eating! It would suggest that biologically humans are innately programmed to seek out the food providing them the most strength, immunity, etc. Which would be meat in that case.

PJ
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-12, 12:04

Plan: high protein
Stats: 172/159/154 Male 178 cm
BF:18%/13%/10%
Progress: 72%

By now, Mr Stapel has been exposed as a fraud. He lost his job at the university and is seeing a therapist.

All his 'research' was a lie.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-12, 12:27
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Hmmm.... Dutchboy isn't joking:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/03/h...arch-fraud.html

Quote:
A well-known psychologist in the Netherlands whose work has been published widely in professional journals falsified data and made up entire experiments, an investigating committee has found. Experts say the case exposes deep flaws in the way science is done in a field, psychology, that has only recently earned a fragile respectability.

Quote:
The scandal, involving about a decade of work, is the latest in a string of embarrassments in a field that critics and statisticians say badly needs to overhaul how it treats research results. In recent years, psychologists have reported a raft of findings on race biases, brain imaging and even extrasensory perception that have not stood up to scrutiny. Outright fraud may be rare, these experts say, but they contend that Dr. Stapel took advantage of a system that allows researchers to operate in near secrecy and massage data to find what they want to find, without much fear of being challenged.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-12, 14:06

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 255/250/175 Female 65.5"
BF:Size 22/16-18/10
Progress: 6%

I think our first clue was "a steak, an omelette or a fish" all things a true vegetarian would not eat. duh.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Jun-14-12, 18:35

Plan: HCG Diet
Stats: 215.5/191.1/155 Female 177cm
BF:Human twinkie
Progress: 40%

lol! hilarious. I only did a worthless Arts degree at uni, but one priceless lesson that came from that degree was, "Common belief or popular opinion does not a fact make - SHOW YOUR PROOF!!"

Also, no study I've EVER laid eyes on stooped to name calling in their summary of findings??? lol pretty much destroyed their credibility in the first sentence for me.