Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Wed, Sep-07-11, 23:49

Plan: Primal
Stats: 478.4/248.0/228 Male 73
BF:28.9%
Progress: 92%

i cant think of a situation when i wouldnt pick the steak

ummm streakums

seabass with crispy skin may tempt me
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Sep-13-11, 09:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 175.7/173.1/154 Female 1.67 cm
BF:
Progress: 12%

Me neither! ha!
  #33   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-11, 07:39
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

When this was first posted a couple of weeks ago, I did a lot of digging and searching to find more information about this "study" in either English or Dutch. Nil, nuttin' nada ... Except of course, the blogosphere and message boards were all a-buzz over it .

"Hmmmmm," you say? Well, guess what?

The whole thing was faked.

There was no study, and Diederik Stapel has been sacked for professional misconduct .. http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencei...cks-social.html

Quote:
Dutch University Sacks Social Psychologist Over Faked Data

AMSTERDAM—A Dutch social psychologist whose eye-catching studies about human behavior were fodder for columnists and policy makers has lost his job after his university concluded that some of the data in those studies were fabricated.

Tilburg University today officially suspended Diederik Stapel, who heads the Tilburg Institute for Behavioral Economics Research. But in a TV interview today, university Rector Philip Eijlander said that Stapel had admitted to using faked data and said that he would not be allowed to return.

Stapel has worked at the university, located in southern Netherlands, since 2006. He is known as a prolific researcher and a successful fundraiser. His studies appeared to offer new insights into the workings of the human mind; for instance, a Science paper published in April showed that people are more likely to stereotype or discriminate in messy environments.

In the TV interview, Eijlander says he was first contacted on 27 August by "junior researchers" in Stapel's lab who alleged that his conduct was fraudulent. Stapel immediately admitted that there was "something strange" in his papers, Eijlander says, and "yesterday, he told me that there are faked data." The university has asked Willem Levelt, a psycholinguist and former president of the Royal Netherlands Academy of Arts and Sciences, to lead a panel investigating the extent of the alleged fraud. Eijlander says that all "tainted papers" will be retracted.

As to the whistleblowers, Eijlander told the television interviewer that "I have a lot of respect for them, because they found it very difficult."

Just last week, Stapel made headlines with a press release claiming that thinking of eating meat makes people "more boorish" and less social. The announcement, which said that "meat brings out the worst in people," raised eyebrows because the study hadn't yet been written up, let alone published.

Roos Vonk, a psychologist at Radboud University Nijmegen and a collaborator on the study, wrote on her blog today that she believes the latest study is likely among those based on fabricated data. She writes that her conclusion is based on the fact that, although the results had been collected by Stapel's group, "when we discussed [them], I thought it was odd that Diederik didn't mention the name of his assistant." But at the time, she writes, the possibility of fraud didn't occur to her.

In her blog, Vonk calls Stapel "one of Europe's best social psychologists. ... He had a spotless reputation, he was an excellent teacher, and he appeared to be a paragon of integrity." The affair "shows how even us psychologists can completely misjudge people."

Meat-eaters vindicated!!

[ edit to add .. University of Tilberg's press release on the matter ]

#34   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-11, 09:30

Plan: Atkins- leaning Paleo
Stats: 182/154/145 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

What a shame he steaked his entire reputation on that. The Scientific community is unforgiving of those who are caught out playing fast and loose with data.

Justice was meated out.
  #35   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-11, 09:59

Plan: Atkins maintenance
Stats: 170/120/130 Female 65 inches & shrinking
BF:
Progress: 125%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyB
What a shame he steaked his entire reputation on that. The Scientific community is unforgiving of those who are caught out playing fast and loose with data.

Justice was meated out.

#36   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-11, 13:32

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

It's ironic. Ancel Keys was made a hero and he played with the data to prove his point. That gave us the current dietary advice, including "don't eat too much meat". Now this guy gets booted for trying to prove meat eaters are worse than vegetarians.
  #37   ^
Old Wed, Sep-14-11, 14:34

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Hard not to conjecture about what the guy himself was eating.

Probably not good meat and good fats, those excellent sources of good thought processes...
  #38   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 14:29

Stats: 145/120.5/110 Female 63
BF:
Progress: 70%

Selfish jerk: Vegetarian who won't eat in a restaurant that serves meat because its "yucky" while subjecting me to TVP and MSG in her vegan restaurant despite the fact that I think it is disgusting and it makes me feel ill and well up...and I'm allergic to MSG...

Less social: People who preach instead of hanging out with their families.

Jerks: the kid I know who told his mother to F-off and go to hell for eating meat and believing in God while simultanouesly pronouncing on facebook that "vegan is the only ethical moral choice or else you are repugnant."

Guess he missed that whole ethical/moral thing as applied to other human beings (who are animals too...newsflash to vegan with brain wasting disorder...)
  #39   ^
Old Fri, Sep-16-11, 18:30

Plan: my own
Stats: 224/182/165 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilyB

Justice was meated out.

Even just reading about the 'study' it was clear that it was bad science. We just didn't realise how bad!
  #40   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 10:37
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins/Eades
Stats: 232/155/135 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 79%
Default Big fat meat eating lie

#41   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 21:22

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

Holy cow!!
  #42   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 22:23

Plan: low carb
Stats: 195/174/170 Male 72 inches
BF:22%/15.2%/6 pack!
Progress: 84%

Doesn't surprise me a bit given how I've seen Colin Campbell throw away whatever respectability he once had in the scientific community defending his preposterous China Study claims.
  #43   ^
Old Wed, Nov-02-11, 22:25

Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

It's when fervent belief outdoes rational thought that these things happen. It's pretty clear Campbell got the results he wanted. Same thing here.
  #44   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 08:11

Plan: Schwarzbein/Bernstein
Stats: 355/240/200 Male 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 74%

The anti-meat crowd will do anything to advance its agenda.
  #45   ^
Old Thu, Nov-03-11, 09:17

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

What Stapel did was worse than Campbell's misuse of real data. At least with the China study, you can analyze the data to form interesting hypotheses for clinical tests. Denise Minger, who exposed Campbell's shenanigans, found a strong correlation between wheat consumption and weight gain in his data, independent of other variables.

Stapel fabricated data (and people) wholesale.