Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 13:39
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mio1996
I thought this was an interesting thread! I too feel like the weight picked me. I had decided on 200-210 since I am 6'4" tall and have a moderate build, but if I abstain from all the foods I must abstain from to be free from cravings my weight settles at 185-190. It ddid so in 2005 and again this time, so I guess my body likes this weight Hope all you fellow maintainers are doing well!

Hi,
We are doing well and hope that you are too!
You're welcome to join us in our weekly maintenance weighin, if you'd like to.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Mon, Mar-26-12, 19:46
Glutton for Grease!

Plan: Primal-VLC
Stats: 295/190/190 Male 76
BF:don't/really/care
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Hi,
We are doing well and hope that you are too!
Oh, I'm better than I've been in years! How could I ever leave this WOE? Live and learn, I guess!
Quote:
You're welcome to join us in our weekly maintenance weighin, if you'd like to.
Thanks, I believe I will!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 11:54

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 213/167/165 Male 65 in.
BF:35%/23%/20%
Progress: 96%

I picked my goal weight indirectly, by picking my body fat percentage goal. I used the method I described in the Newbies Questions post (2/3 of the way down the page).
  #19   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 14:30

Plan: atkins '72 -now ketogenic
Stats: 260/181.4/140 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 65%

Complicated answer.

I originally looked at height weight charts to pick the number. I still already knew that once i get there i might reevaluate the situation but now i think, after reading around the boards, that its more complicated than the height weight charts make it. However, im still 67 pounds until 140, so its too soon to know how much i will want to tweak it. Im really interested, though, because due to the evidence of my legs, calves and thighs, i firmly believe ive never been muscled the way i am now. I think my proportion of fat to muscle is different than it has ever been even at my lowest. My thighs have never not rubbed together, and right now at TWO OH SEVEN...they already almost dont touch. That absolutely stuns me, so right now my goal weight is a random number just to give me something in the distance to work towards, to keep my eyes on the horizon, and im still too big to set a 'goal size' that my body will feel comfortable at. Im tempted to use BMI, because i have a bmi scale, but i seriously dont trust it because according to my approximate height/weight, i should be around 31 %, but the scale says im about 41%, so, i dont know. Maybe im too fat for the thing to work right.
  #20   ^
Old Tue, Mar-27-12, 14:30
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 317/262.6/175 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 38%

I don't know what my goal weight really is... I've never been a "normal" weight so I don't know what it will look or feel like until I get there. I chose 175 kind of out of thin air but I wouldn't mind getting into a size 10 pair of pants! I've still got over 100lbs to go so I'll let you know when I'm in that neighborhood.
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Apr-09-12, 19:19

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 199/000/000 Female 5"3'
BF:

I picked 150 out of the air. I have been lighter in the past, but always gained it back. Now that I am basically here, I like it. I think i look good and boy oh boy do I feel good! I can do almost anything I want now. Not size 6 jeans, size 12s but hey... better than before!
  #22   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 09:37

BF:

I am going to edit my last post here. Wen I hit 150, I researched the approx drop in calories per day that it would take for me to get smaller. I do not want that, I want to be comfortable in my eating and I am there now.
  #23   ^
Old Fri, Jun-01-12, 13:32

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aradasky
I am going to edit my last post here. Wen I hit 150, I researched the approx drop in calories per day that it would take for me to get smaller. I do not want that, I want to be comfortable in my eating and I am there now.

I like my weight. For the first time in my life, I look like my dad, who was a slim man. But I worry slightly. The lowest mortality range for a man is about a stone heavier than I am now, even though I'm in the middle of the "normal" BMI range. Apparently, a little spare weight can come in handy if we have to cope with serious illness or hospitalisations--but, I'm a pessimist, so I'm just finding something to fret about. Men have thinner fat reserves than women, it seems.

You look fine in your picture (puts away magnifying glass).
  #24   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 16:12

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plinge
I like my weight. For the first time in my life, I look like my dad, who was a slim man. But I worry slightly. The lowest mortality range for a man is about a stone heavier than I am now, even though I'm in the middle of the "normal" BMI range. Apparently, a little spare weight can come in handy if we have to cope with serious illness or hospitalisations--but, I'm a pessimist, so I'm just finding something to fret about. Men have thinner fat reserves than women, it seems.

You look fine in your picture (puts away magnifying glass).

Thank you....(blush). Ah yes, we have that final layer of fat, for those young enough to have children, take that layer away and the body decides it is starving and conception is difficult. Super athletes find this true. I never had to worry about that, tho.
I find that last few pounds resourceful for many things. Keeps me warmer, I have more to jiggle when I jump on my mini-tramp and entertain my cats with(they sit mesmerized), I have a little left to fill my bra, keeps the rings on (although, now my wedding ring slips off too easliy), and yes, for the surgeries and hospitals stays that I always build into my future......
  #25   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 18:50
Getting Healthy!

Plan: General LC
Stats: 213/169/166 Female 5' 8.5"
BF:
Progress: 94%

As a starting point, I picked the weight (166 lbs) where I would have a BMI of just under 25.0, which is considered the start of the "normal" range. However, as I close in on this goal, I can tell that it's too high. I am very apple-shaped and all of my remaining excess weight is in my torso. When I reach goal, I expect to still have too much unhealthy belly fat and I'll probably try to lose another 10 pounds, down to about 156 lbs. In my 20s, I looked good at 140 lbs. In my 50s, I don't think that is realistic.
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 19:41

Plan: adkins
Stats: 140/122/110 Female 5'0''
BF:
Progress: 60%

I picked 110 cause that's what I weighed i my 20s but to be honest it was to thin for me now I looked sick, so now I'm at 113 and I know 3 pounds don't sound like much but when your 5 ft it is. I feel better now and I wouldn't want to go any higher.
  #27   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-12, 21:01

Plan: No added sugar/nostarches
Stats: 193/174/170 Male 6'-0"
BF:
Progress: 83%

I have been wondering about this a lot. I picked 170 because I seem to recall it was my college weight, and it would give me a healthy BMI of 23. But as I am almost there, I think I'd be happier at 165.

However, I'm not sure whether I can maintain comfortably at that weight. For that matter, I haven't been at this weight in decades. I had lost ~2 lbs per week steadily until two weeks ago, and now I've stayed put since. I can't tell if that's my body sending me a message, or if I've become too lenient with nuts and almond butter. I think it's the latter.

Still, I find the whole topic of where to settle in to be confusing.
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-04-12, 02:33

Plan: LC Maintain
Stats: 220/127.5/140 Female 5'4"
BF:20.6
Progress: 116%

i'm only 5'4" so i choose 140 lbs as my goal weight, because in high school i fell at 128-135 lbs naturally before i decided that was too fat and dieted my way to less. i figured i'd account for not being 18 years old anymore. the only thing is that i was never active when i was young, but now i workout 6 days a week either by running or weight lifting. i'll just keep losing until my body tells me it's time to stop, but 140 is the starter goal. i'd never want to be less than 125 lbs.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 11:34

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

I added some pounds to what my normal weight was in my late teens. I figured being older and with weight gained there was bound to be some that would never come back off. Honestly, back when I started I didn't think I'd lose anywhere close to my goal, I just couldn't imagine it.

Now that I've hit my goal, I think I will easily go lower, if only to get back my waist and watch my belly tire disappear. I have been very patient with my weight loss journey, losing only about 2 pounds (or less!) a month, sometimes stalling a couple months at a time while my body re-adjusts to a new lower weight. I really think it's the slow weight loss that has made maintenance so easy for me. I will be happy to lose some more, but I'm sure not going to stress about it.