Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Thyroid Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 15:26

Plan: ZULCA!
Stats: 353/279.2/175 Female 64 in.
BF: For now...
Progress: 41%
Default TSH went up??

What might cause an increase in TSH? My 2009 level was 2.74, and my level from last week was 3.79. As soon as I get my own copy of the results (they have to mail them, I can't just pick them up, grr) I will have a little more info. Oh, and doc said definitely negative for thyroid antibodies.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 15:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Without hasimoto's then it could be iodine deficiency. 3.79 is definitely too high.

You sure they checked for antibodies? Most doctors don't... in fact, with most you have to pull teeth to get them to do it.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 16:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Without hasimoto's then it could be iodine deficiency. 3.79 is definitely too high.

You sure they checked for antibodies? Most doctors don't... in fact, with most you have to pull teeth to get them to do it.

Yes, I'm sure the checked for antibodies--today, doc showed me the tests as we talked. I had mentioned to her (today, last visit, several times over the years) that my sis has Hashi's, which is when I got the first test. Over the last 4-5 years, they always do the antibodies test, and so far it's always been negative.

I'll look into how much iodine I'm taking (add it up from several sources). Thanks!
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 14:48

Plan: Ketogenic now
Stats: 277/121/125 Female 61 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

And that's the very reason that TSH should NOT be used to assess the thyroid status. TSH goes up and down as much as THREE whole points in any given day in a human being.

This is why you need to have T4 and T3 tests (T4 being the 'main thyroid hormone' which needs to convert to a part of T3 in order to have energy, weightloss, etc.). Even better would be to get Free T4 and Free T3 testing (just T4 and T3 show what's 'in the blood stream', but free's actually show what's usable to you).

You'll most likely want copies of all test results to see as you go along in your thyroid journey.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 16:51

I just called the lab, and my copy goes into the mail to me this coming Monday, so hopefully one week from today I'll have numbers to post.

I do know the lab includes:
TSH (obviously)
T3 and t4 as well as free t3 (and I think free t4)
I'm 99.99% it does NOT include reverse t3 (is there a reverse t4?)

Thanks, Pam, for the insight about TSH fluctuation. I had no idea it could vary that much--that's like 80% of the range!
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jun-23-11, 17:10
Experimenter

BF:

It's affected by the seasons too, if I recall correctly.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 07:05

BF:

Yes, Nancy it is, as well as what you eat (if you eat goitrogens, particularly SOY, it can really remain high for an entire day). It's also affected by incoming hormone replacement treatment for estrogens, birth control, any other hormone that's 'incoming'.

The thyroid hormones can be 'bound in the blood' by birth control, BHRT, HRT (not progesterone so much as estrogens) so Free T's are done to show 'what's really being used and how you are converting too.

Iron should be put four to six hours away from your thyroid replacement as well as calcium because they bind incoming thyroid hormones.

The incoming hormone replacement/birth control usually just binds the conversion and it doesn't matter when you take them, most docs do FT's and use that to just make sure most are well replaced with thyroid hormone (well, def. not ALL doctors).
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 07:41
Experimenter

BF:

Most doctors? Not in my experience. One really has to search to find one around here!
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-24-11, 15:58

BF:

That's true about the doctors BUT my 'most doctors' are what are listed as doing the above. Not the 'shot in the dark let's see if this one gives T3' one.

I've kept enormous lists of doctor who DO FT's and give T3 etc., and there are several online also. I have to travel well over an hour to get to my thyroid doctor, but after several years and being maintained on a dosage of porcine thyroid, my family doc will now Rx (even if I want to get it from Canada, which I do).

I also worked two jobs for many years to pay out of pocket (most really good docs are pay out of pocket). I have several friends in your area...and only a couple are not getting what they 'need' thyroid wise, and everytime I hand them a list, etc. they either say 'that doc doesn't take MY insurance' or 'that's too far away'.

I know several patients who've flown in from other states to see my thyroid doctor. And I know this is all not fair to those who do not have the wherewithal to pay cash for a good thyroid doctor (before anyone says that).

So, sorry Nancy, most 'thyroid doctors'. People need to do more research also...and know what questions to ask. I can remember in the beginning of my thyroid journey I had to learn to cold call a doctor and ask if they did FT's, if they gave T3, if they'd Rx. natural or was it all synthetic, etc. I think if more who want good treatment research on what to ask, and what it is, exactly they are looking for, it might get a little easier.
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 12:01

[***NOTE: complete lab results listed 2 posts below]

A year later......

Just got a call from doc's office.
TSH = 5.25, but I shrugged thanks to Pam's info above
free T4 = 0.94

That's all she told me (other than LDL went up but doc's not worried since I'm losing weight, etc.).

She wanted to start me on 0.5 somethings of Synthroid. I asked for Armour, so nurse will check with doc.

For the past year, I've been taking l-tyrosine + iodoral (12.5) every morning. I figured if my body had enough thyroid hormone, it would use those or excrete them. But if needed, it could use those to build thyroid hormones. I realize there are some assumptions here, notably that my body is able to convert tyrosine into thyroid hormone as much as it "wants" to.

When I took the blood tests last week, fasted, I took them before my morning tyrosine+iodoral cocktail. That may have affected the results.

I won't know if she tested free T3 or what else she tested, until I get my copy of the results.

My symptoms suggesting hypothyroid were alleviated pretty quickly with the tyrosine+iodoral combo.

Last edited by LaZigeuner : Wed, Jun-27-12 at 14:29.
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 13:07
Experimenter

BF:

I've never heard of using tyrosine to fix a low thyroid, that's a new one on me. Iodine can help if the cause is a lack of iodine, but if you've been taking iodine for a year and your TSH is still going up... stop the iodine. It can actually make thyroid disease worse.

Your TSH being high probably means your body thinks it needs more thyroid, unless you have a pituitary problem.
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 14:17

Lab results from 22-Jun-12 tests:

Creatinine, UR, raondom = 180 mg/dL
protein/creatinine ration = 0.1 (range <0.2)
Protein, UR, random = 18 mg/dL (range 0-14)

WBC = 6.4 K/mm3 (range 4.0-11.0)
RBC = 4.28 M/mm3 (range 3.75-5.07)
HGB = 12.4 g/dL (range 11.5-15.0)
HCT = 35.9% (range 34.8-45.0)
MCV = 83.9 u3 (range 80-100)
MCH = 29.0 pg (range 25.9-34.2)
MCHC = 34.5% (range 31.5-36.5)
RDW = 14.4% (range 11.5-14.2)
Plt ct = 299 K/mm3 (range 150-400) High
MPV = 9.8 u3 (range 8.5-12.4)

Sodium = 136 mEq/L (range 135-145)
Potassium = 4.1 mEq/L (range 3.5-5.2)
Chloride = 104 mEq/L (range 95-109)
CO2 content = 20 mEq/L (range 22-31) Low
Anion gap = 12 (range 3-12)
Glucose = 83 mg/dL (range 70-99)
BUN = 4 mg/dL (range 8-20) Low
Creatinine = 0.6 mg/dL (range 0.44-1.03)
Protein, total = 6.5 g/dL (range 6.2-8.4)
Albumin = 3.5 g/dL (range 3.5-5.0)
Globulin = 3.0 g/dL (range 2.2-3.6)
Calcuim = 9.0 mg/dL (range 8.6-10.2)
Bilirubin, tot = 0.9 mg/dL (range 0.1-1.2)
Alkaline phos = 41 IU/L (range 30-100)
ALT = 14 IU/L (range 14-54)
AST = 16 IU/L (range 15-41)
GFR (MDRD equation) > 60 mL/min/1.73m2 (range > 60)
Fasting = 13 hours

C-Peptide serum = 2.1 ng/mL (range 0.8-6.9)

Free T4 = 0.94 ng/dL (range 0.61-1.27)
TSH = 5.25 uIU/mL (range 0.40-4.6) High

Insulin, serum = 8.0 uIU/mL (range for fasting 1.9-23)

Glycohemoglobin(A1c) = 5.0% (range 4.0-5.6)
Est. avg glucose = 97 mg/dL

Vitamin D,25-OH = 47.7 ng/mL (range 32.0-80.0)

HDL = 42 mg/dL (range 40-59)
LDL = 223 mg/dL (range <100) High
Cholesterol = 297 mg/dL (range <200) High
Triglycerides = 162 mg/dL (range <150) High
Chol/HDL ratio = 7.2 (range <5.0) High
Pat. condition = 13 hrs fasting

CRP, high sensitivity = 15.40 mg/L (range <0.70) High
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 14:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I've never heard of using tyrosine to fix a low thyroid, that's a new one on me. Iodine can help if the cause is a lack of iodine, but if you've been taking iodine for a year and your TSH is still going up... stop the iodine. It can actually make thyroid disease worse.

Your TSH being high probably means your body thinks it needs more thyroid, unless you have a pituitary problem.

Right now, I'm not concerned about TSH because of Pam's explanation:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neanderpam
TSH goes up and down as much as THREE whole points in any given day in a human being.

...get Free T4 and Free T3 testing (just T4 and T3 show what's 'in the blood stream', but free's actually show what's usable to you).

Doc has ordered another thyoroid function, which only includes TSH and free T4. I'm going to call and ask if she'll include free T3.

Odd how she was willing to throw Synthroid at me based on this one set of test results, but when I turn around and request Armour instead, she decides to order another set of tests. <-- ETA: that was bitchy, and premature. She approved the armour, made the conversion, and sent it to my pharmacy. I'm not starting it yet, though. More info required.
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-27-12, 21:07

Melissa just posted this in my J:
Quote:
With a TSH of 5, you are vastly hypo unfortunately.

Given what Nancy wrote above, and in spite of what Pam wrote, now I'm confused.
  #15   ^
Old Thu, Jun-28-12, 03:21
Registered Member

Plan: general
Stats: 196/162/160 Female 175cm
BF:
Progress: 94%

Oh dear, I just had my result it says 5,29 and I'm taking tablets, t4 was ok.. But I don't know what it means