Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Paleolithic & Neanderthin
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 00:09

Plan: Fatty meat
Stats: 135/135/135 Male 166
BF:11%
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaloa
Warren,

1) This forum is called the Active Low Carb Forum.

c)In the event a person posted in this challenge, who was not familiar with the majority of low carb diets that are discussed with this forum, I would have mentioned that this was not a standard "low carb" diet challenge and was a challenge to eliminate processed foods. Which I believe is clearly spelled out in the post above.
So why not mention it before instead of just assuming that everyone is experienced?

Quote:
2) The sub-forum is Paleolithic & Neanderthin and the Whole 30 challenge is a Paleo challenge.
a) I posted challenge within this forum specifically for people who would be familiar with the paleo style eating (which includes sweet potatoes)
This forum is specifically for people that want to read about paleo. It doesnt mean everyone is experienced in knowing what foods are acceptable on the diet.
Quote:
b) If you Google Whole 30, you will find the Whole 9 website which would provide massive amounts of information on the type of diet and what foods are considered applicable to the challenge.
you are assumig people are going to use a search engine. I've lost count of the amount of times I've read questions on message boards where if the same question was simply put into a search engine the answer would come up in the results.
Quote:
c) There is no specific carb allowance with the Whole 30 challenge. Each individual person decides for themselves what amounts of carbs they are fine with. The purpose of the challenge is to eat whole, unprocessed, unrefined, real food for 30 days.
Well you did say there was "a larger carb allowance than Atkins."

Quote:
4) Just because you “really don't think it's a great idea for somebody inexperienced to jump straight into cutting so many carbs out all in one go” doesn’t matter to me or to anyone else who would be participating in this challenge.
Oh really? so now you are answering on behalf of everyone on the challenge? you make a lot of assumptions. I don't thik it's a great idea because I know for a fact that so many people struggle when they cut back on carbs.
Quote:
a)Numerous low carb diets promote exactly this idea.
Indeed and look how people struggle.
Quote:
b)If this is something that you feel deserves additional discussion on the pros and cons on whether it is or is not “appropriate” to eliminate some or all carbs and how this should be approached, you should start a new thread under “Newbie Questions” or even “Low carb War Zone”.
Telling what, where and how to post now? I have been on paleo for years and had success with it. My advice is very simple. Ease into it very gradually. There is no need to make it hard on yourself as if it's a punishment for being on the wrong diet in the past.

I really don't see how it's a challenge if it's mainly for people that are already experienced. That means I've been completing a challenge like this every 30 days for the last 6 years or whatever it is I've been doing paleo.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 06:58
Registered Member

Plan: Whole 30
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress: 26%

Warren,

What it boils down to is that I started this thread to see if there was interest in anyone joining me in doing the Whole 9's Whole 30 challenge. I'm not sure why you have a stick up your a$$, but I really don't care.

You seem to want an apology from me for not listing out every single detail of the Whole 30 challenge, for not providing a web link to the Whole 9 website, for not advising random newbies that "this is not the best challenge" for them, for not explaining any details for the exact carb allowance for every single person who might be looking at this thread, for not giving them the exact advise that you "feel" is necessary about the way to go about carb restriction. There are also a lot of people who do not struggle with carb restriction. When I did low carb the first time, I found it to be extremely easy. The Whole 30 challenge allows for unrestricted carb intake, which for most people, would mean consuming larger carb intakes than Atkins induction. Do you want another apology for not wording it so perfectly? Well, guess what, you are not getting an apology from me.

And you're right, I shouldn't be answering for everyone else on the forum. They may think you're completely correct in everything you say. Me personally, I think you're being arrogant in that you assume because you find it so incredibly easy to do Paleo for six years that everyone who does Paleo also finds it so extremely easy. But, OMG, I don't find it easy to stick to Paleo, which is why I wanted to start this challenge. To give me, and possible others, a goal to shoot for. For me, that is the whole purpose of a challenge, to have a goal to strive for.

So, you know what, I really don't care to continue this conversation. Obviously, you "know" what's right and how to do Paleo perfectly and that this was a fool's errand for me to even start this thread. So, you win. I'm done and everyone can do Paleo "your way", because it's so easy, that they don't need to have anything in particular to shoot for.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 09:30

Plan: low carb
Stats: 259/162.4/155 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Go Manaloa!!! Warren... while you might have valid points in your argument... you come off very aggressive and controlling!
Social skills my dear are in need.

I am doing LC Atkins and found a great deal of info in this challenge.... being more specific about your food choices is the message.... natural, organic, nothing processed... it's all something that we should strive for and try and work into our eating style more no matter the "version" of eating plan you are choosing to follow.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 09:56

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manaloa
Warren,

What it boils down to is that I started this thread to see if there was interest in anyone joining me in doing the Whole 9's Whole 30 challenge. I'm not sure why you have a stick up your a$$, but I really don't care.

You seem to want an apology from me for not listing out every single detail of the Whole 30 challenge, for not providing a web link to the Whole 9 website, for not advising random newbies that "this is not the best challenge" for them, for not explaining any details for the exact carb allowance for every single person who might be looking at this thread, for not giving them the exact advise that you "feel" is necessary about the way to go about carb restriction. There are also a lot of people who do not struggle with carb restriction. When I did low carb the first time, I found it to be extremely easy. The Whole 30 challenge allows for unrestricted carb intake, which for most people, would mean consuming larger carb intakes than Atkins induction. Do you want another apology for not wording it so perfectly? Well, guess what, you are not getting an apology from me.

And you're right, I shouldn't be answering for everyone else on the forum. They may think you're completely correct in everything you say. Me personally, I think you're being arrogant in that you assume because you find it so incredibly easy to do Paleo for six years that everyone who does Paleo also finds it so extremely easy. But, OMG, I don't find it easy to stick to Paleo, which is why I wanted to start this challenge. To give me, and possible others, a goal to shoot for. For me, that is the whole purpose of a challenge, to have a goal to strive for.

So, you know what, I really don't care to continue this conversation. Obviously, you "know" what's right and how to do Paleo perfectly and that this was a fool's errand for me to even start this thread. So, you win. I'm done and everyone can do Paleo "your way", because it's so easy, that they don't need to have anything in particular to shoot for.

Let somebody push your buttons much? Thank him for his clarifications and igore the rest. He will look like a A$$O and the rest of us will just step over non-productive posts and carry on.

So, on this challenge I can have canned coconut milk? As much as I want, or sparingly?

Man I love dairy. I know its bad for me, but it hurts so good....
  #20   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 10:06
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I am IN for this challenge. I am 'almost there' anyway with the guidelines, so it won't be much of a stretch for me.

I'm saddened that there's controversy going on in this thread already. I hope it dies away before the challenge actually begins.

On any challenge, there's always a possibility that one will change their mind mid-stream, and they may even consider it a failure, but we're mostly all adults on these forums and are perfectly capable of knowing when we're up for a particular challenge or not.
  #21   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 10:19

Plan: low carb
Stats: 259/162.4/155 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 93%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSojrn
we're mostly all adults on these forums and are perfectly capable of knowing when we're up for a particular challenge or not.

I totally agree with you! Case in point.... I am only 1 & 1/2 months into this... and almost eat this way currently (dairy being the main exception) however I know that for myself I am not ready for this challenge yet... but I will put it in my pocket for later
good luck to all of you that do it.... I'm excited to see how it turns out for you!
  #22   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 11:15

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

Just to lighten up the mood, I thought I would point out that there are 31 days in July, not 30!

I spread butter on a piece of cheese last night. No kidding. (Oh, and then I ate it...that's really the point!)

I'm quite looking forward to the challenge! Glad to see a few more folks have joined in.

I'm glad you started this thread Manaloa!
  #23   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-11, 12:35
Registered Member

Plan: Whole 30
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 00
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
Let somebody push your buttons much? Thank him for his clarifications and igore the rest. He will look like a A$$O and the rest of us will just step over non-productive posts and carry on.

Bah, people like that make me crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonechew
So, on this challenge I can have canned coconut milk? As much as I want, or sparingly?

Man I love dairy. I know its bad for me, but it hurts so good....

Coconut milk falls under "The Fine Print". It's ok as long as the label shows it's "clean", no sweeteners, etc.

Quote:
I'm saddened that there's controversy going on in this thread already. I hope it dies away before the challenge actually begins.

Well, I'm done with that conversation at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue333
I'm glad you started this thread Manaloa!

#24   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-11, 09:01

Plan: Paleo/Atkins/low cal
Stats: 232/148/135 Female 62
BF:a lot
Progress: 87%

I can't wait to start this.

I've thought seriously about wiping my diet clean and then adding back items one at a time to see what I react to. The challenge comes at a good time.
  #25   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 05:56
Keepin' It Real

Plan: IF
Stats: 250/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 90%

I've been thinking about this challenge every day and gearing towards it. I'm ready to start. It's Monday morning and I want to start today. Does anyone else want to jump the starting gun and begin now, report in on the first, and carry it all through July?

Like I said, I'm nearly 'already there' anyway, but have discretions here and there that I want to put a stop to, hopefully permanently. I'm hoping that a whole month totally pure will have me in a place of not wanting to go back even a little.

In any event, I'm starting today at 152 lbs, not to weigh or measure again until the end of July. When I hit the "Submit Reply" button below, it will mean "Commit" till July 31st. Here goes ...
  #26   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 09:09

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Thanks for the intrigue, Manaloa, I'm totally inspired and on the wagon to do this too. While I don't consider myself a purist my diet has been mostly Paleo for over a year. I think I may have recently developed an allergy to eggs, and while eliminating them may show some improvement in my condition I would be so much better off eliminating ALL potential allergens from my diet for at least a month, then trying to figure stuff out systematically and very slowly. And I have been sooo reluctant to give up my HWC (and some other things too!), so this challenge came at a perfect time.

I am also a very slow loser and am guilty of scale watching. I actually put my scale away yesterday, out-of-sight-out-of-mind, and will not be touching it until August 1. Looking forward to this!!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 09:12

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Quote:
I've been thinking about this challenge every day and gearing towards it. I'm ready to start. It's Monday morning and I want to start today. Does anyone else want to jump the starting gun and begin now, report in on the first, and carry it all through July?

I will in just a couple of days... gotta "get rid" of this last bit of HWC first
  #28   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 09:23

Plan: Paleo
Stats: 182/159/115 Female 5ft2"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I'm definitely interested in joining in on this challenge, I think its just what i need. I can do day 1 today because I had a very clean breakfast.

I'm not sure how well I will do, especially on the 'not weighing' portion! yikes!

I'm definitely up for the challenge and will give this a shot!
  #29   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 10:06

Plan: general lc
Stats: 212/146/150 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 106%

I actually started last Wed (6-15). Like others, I was already most of the way there (most of the time, anyway!). I wanted to ditch caffeine and dairy (1-2 slices of cheddar daily, plus butter for cooking and HWC in coffee), so the Whole30 seemed like a good motivation to get rid of them.

I'm on Day 6 right now, and it's not really difficult to do. I'm still missing my coffee + HWC, but I'm hoping that will fade in the next week.

I'm glad so many others are wanting to try it. I think it's very worth the 30 days investment!
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-20-11, 10:29

Plan: Paleo/Primal
Stats: 226/181.5/150 Female 5'7"
BF:Why yes it is!
Progress: 59%

I'm with you BlueSojrn! Let's start today! Well, for me it's start at this very moment, not counting my breakfast, because I fried a steak in butter. If only I had read your post first, I would have either broiled it or fried it in coconut oil!

But yes, today, and until July 31. I'm so excited! I have no idea what I weigh right now, and you know what? Truly? I DON'T CARE. We'll have such a great time on the 31st weighing in and reporting to each other. I'm cheering you on!