Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > TOF's (The Over Fifty's)
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

Closed Thread

#61   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 16:35

Plan: LCHF, IF
Stats: 265/210/135 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 42%

Peeing is good for you, Glo, but yeah, it's a pain. I'm finding that I pee a lot *less* now. It's a gradual change over the 2 - 3 years I've been LCing, and I like it for the convenience. Then I use natural diuretics for my swollen ankles and bloated abdomen.

Which brings us to the hanging belly, doesn't it? Every summer I get rashes in that fold. Around here, summer has already started, and it lasts about six months. I read somewhere to put baby powder in your belly fold, so I bought baby powder, but I haven't tried it yet. Does it work?

Meg
Sponsored Links
  #62   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 17:27

Plan: none
Stats: 200/186/160 Female 5'7'
BF:
Progress: 35%

Glo, glad the bg is coming down-wtg!! Meg, I'm not sure about baby powder. Let us know.

Only ate dinner tonight. Wings and curly fries and fried mushrooms-I know, not LC, but I did eat it within an hour, so I should be OK. BP med increased, Doc gave me a bunch of samples for that and Lipitor. Thank you Dr S.

Survivor night. Hopefully, I sleep tonight!!
  #63   ^
Old Wed, May-04-11, 20:35

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%
Lightbulb

Meg---I have a little bit over the edge, too. I use baby powder on it. My dermatologist said a good thing for rash is Dr. Smith's Diaper Ointment. It comes in a small round jar that's inside a little square box. It's main ingredient is zinc oxide but it works better than zinc oxide. I think I found it in the baby section at Walmart. There's also Desenex. Another one for stuff like that and for fissures is Calmseptine. It doesn't take an RX but they keep in behind the counter in the pharmacy. Hope these ideas might help....Oh, one more idea is Butt Paste. Woot Woot We've been around and now we're going back to babyhood---losing our teeth, hair, memory, sore feet, sore back and rashes. It takes guts to grow old!!! myrt

Last edited by myrt4930 : Wed, May-04-11 at 20:48.
  #64   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 05:07

Plan: counting carbs
Stats: 200/188/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi, it is actually SUNNY here in NE Ind. this morning---hard to believe, but lovin' it!!! Heading out to make the coffee. Hey, for your 'creases' have you tried GOLD BOND POWDER or OINTMENT? That is OTC but medicated, and pretty good for lots of stuff. Everyone--have a great day.....I am going out with 4 other gal pals for lunch and then we are going to friends' home for dinner---it is SO hard to diet with our lifestyle!!!
UGH UGH UGH!!! Well, at least, it's sunny outside!!! Bought a whole bunch of flowers and a couple more hanging pots yesterday.....all inside right now....it's only 38° right now!!! Brrrrrr Love to all, have a great day!!! Vicki
  #65   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 06:11

BF:

Good Morning Ladies! Beautiful morning here in Fl.

Didn't get to sleep til after 2 am, even with 2 ambien. Geez, I hope with Rich gone I will be able to relax a little and get some sleep. Will have to open the store before 8 the next 3 mornings, so I have to get up and moving.

Have a great day!!
  #66   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 06:26

Plan: atkins
Stats: 383.8/345.4/180 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 19%

Morning all,I have to comment on the under the belly rash,I had an odor that would not go away....I really thought it was coming from my crotch,no matter how much I washed or kept my self clean couldn't get rid of this funky odor( so embarassing ) much worst in the summer, went to my gyn and he said it was fungus and was coming from my fold,he perscribed cream which really works but no matter how well you dry after shower you start to sweat so the real problem is to keep dry,this might be tmi for some but I'm grateful I have a place to be able to talk about what this weight has given me lol!! Ate clean yesterday,probally could of drank more but did get quite a bit in.Going out to eat Mother's day...a little concerned but I will stick to plan as much as possible,don't know where I am going yet.I need to get started, slacked off yesterday so need to continue my cleaning ugh....have a good day ladies...Gloria
  #67   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 08:50

BF:

Good morning. Gorgeous here in Phoenix too, but we're up in the hundreds (not now, but afternoons and evenings) for the next six months or so. My house is dusty, but more important, my yard is weedy. I've got to do that first, and during May, because after that it's too hot to be outdoors, and there'll be fire danger.

It makes sense that the underbelly smell would be fungus - I get the smell sometimes too. I've got some ringworm cream around here, maybe I'll try that. Glo, blessings on your gyn for being so approachable, and on you for your courage to bring it up with him.

Myrt, I like your way of looking at it, that we're going back to babyhood. Yup, all the stuff you said, plus I'm amazed how physically weak I am sometimes.

Pam, I watch Survivor too. Not as avidly as I used to, but it's still entertaining.

Meg
  #68   ^
Old Thu, May-05-11, 12:22

BF:

Sorry, Ladies, but I think this day is going to drive me off my diet. First, I sent Rich off with less than a loving goodbye. I felt bad, but I'm just not feeling happy for him. A former co-worker of Rich's came in to the store. She told me she had tried to kill herself when she was let go from work a couple of weeks ago. She was here for about 90 minutes. I feel bad for her and hope she left happier than when she came in. I had other visits from people who just wanted to talk, and very few customers. Just not a great day. I want a nap! I hope I sleep tonight and I hope tomorrow is a better day!!
  #69   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 06:26

BF:

Good morning,beautiful here sunny and going to be 72,enjoying my coffee before resuming cleaning,the more I do the worst it looks...I'm in a mess I just have too much stuff!! Ate on plan yesterday and I am still peeing.Pam, it must of been the day for you to be there for others yesterday,no matter how many problems we have there are people with more,I hope she felt better after she left you.Ladies got to go hagd....Glo
  #70   ^
Old Fri, May-06-11, 21:51

Plan: My plan, my way
Stats: 233.8/170.0/179 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 116%

Cool day, needed a jacket and socks. My sis told me years ago she put anti perspirant deodorant under her rather large boobs. I'd forgotten about that until our belly discussion. Think it would work both places. One of the women's magazines used it as a hint not too long after she had talked about it. Think I'll try that and make certain I keep the area dry now that summer is near.
I haven't done very well, but semi o.k. The quiche I made is a life saver. Not eating it for breakfast, but it's been my evening meal for a couple days. Not eating the crust, just the filling. Couldn't figure out how to make without the crust. Brain fog this week. Not sleeping is a problem and was surprised to see that so many of our little group have been having the same problem. That is why I like coming here, the commonness of age and problems that some of the other threads wouldn't be able to relate.
PandaGramy, I haven't been nice to my DH lately. It's like all the things he did for the past 43 years and I managed to ignore with the help of Prozac are causing me to gritch at any and everything. I would have never said a word and just let things slide. He has enjoyed doing what he wanted, when he wanted, and his word was law. I'm speaking up and he doesn't know what to do. Think he knows I don't like him, I love him, but I don't like him right now. He would have gone with your Rich in a heartbeat not thinking of how it might affect me. I gather that this isn't something that your DH does on a regular basis. You are due a girls trip when he returns and he can handle it all by himself, lol. Maybe I need to go back on Prozac. I'd taken it so long it didn't seem to do anything so I quit taking it. It was prescribed for my fatigue to give me more energy. I now know the fatigue was stress induced chronic fatigue with fibromyalgia later added to the mix after having a serious accident. Just one of the many health problems I've collected through the years.
GloRooster, I collect apples. My mother made me a cookie jar years and years ago. I thought it was the prettiest red and started an apple collection to decorate my office. A few years back found out the cookie jar is really a tomato, lol. I've added some tractors and roosters to my collection, plus a few cows. I too am growing tired of my collection, but have so much money invested in it don't know what I'd do with it.
Meg, my furniture is dusty also from pollen. Can't keep up with it. I'd keep the doors and windows closed, but DH doesn't. Do people in Arizona have allergy problems? I had a friend move to the hill country thinking that the desert would help. I can't tolerate the high heat or cold. We are to be in the 90s by Wednesday. The weatherman just said that our daylight will now last until nearly 9 p.m. for the next 87 days. That will be great.
Myrt, you are too funny. But so correct, wish I'd known what being older was all about when I was young. I'd have lived my life in a healthier way. I had no idea the long term affects of junk food would have on my body and the crazy fad diets that I went on when younger and weighing only 117, yet wanting to weight 105. The crazy original dexatrim diet pills too. Such is youth. Heard on Dave Ramsey's radio show today that if we live to age 65, there is a 87% chance that we will live into our 90s. He was talking about financial needs for a longer life. I'm thinking that I'm only middle aged if that is the case and really to need to take better care of this body of mine.
Well enough chatting tonight. Keep the coffee on and I'll join you tomorrow. N2L
  #71   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 05:38

Plan: counting carbs
Stats: 200/188/135 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 18%

Hi All.....fun to read your posts....yep, this is THE place to be on the LC Board!!! We know it all, have experienced it all, and have all the answers (however we are the only ones that give a rip and will listen!!!). Hahahhahaaaa Good luck to all on your day today.....our coffee this morning is CREME BRULE.....I mix my flavored coffee (red) with Folger's Decaff so the flavored lasts longer...and I don't get so much caffeine. Still tastes great. Keep well everyone....Pam, enjoy the quiet. Private mail me...where did Rich go and why? Oh, Myrt, I LOVE Phoenix....we spent the month of March out there in 2006. Friends from up in Michigan 'winter' down in Casa Grande, and I have a cousin & hubby who live up in Prescott!!! xooxoxo Vicki
  #72   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 07:30

BF:

Good morning ladies,I am so glad we have this forum to come to,I can relate to all,n2l I was on prozac for years and it seemed to stop working,doctor put my on cymbalta for help with my legs along with all my other meds for fibro and chronic pain,but the weight is killing me,between nueropathy and I have one foot that is frozen(nerve damage from trauma RSD)which disabled me in 2002, and arthritis I have a hard time,my poor legs and feet have to carry this body.lol Pam,I don't blame you for being upset with hubby,I certainly would be if I was concerned with finances and he went on a gambling trip ,I guess thats why I live alone,been there done that for too long,maybe he'll bring you back lot's of money.Still eating well but I was really tempted to pick up phone and order out last night,I was tired and just didn't feel like cooking,but talked myself out of it and cooked a couple of porkchops with salad.I still need another week to finish cleaning,kitchen done,in my younger days I would of been done by now,oh well.Hope everyone has a great Mother's day!!xoxo Glo
  #73   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 15:35

BF:

It's me, Meg, in Phoenix, Vicki - I don't think Myrt's mentioned where she lives. March was the ideal month to visit here. You got the last of the wildflowers and the first of the cactus flowers. Also the last of the good temperatures. Now it'll stay over 100 until mid-October.

I've been taking the last opportunities to get the back yard sort-of whipped into shape. Can't do much by now because of the heat, and less per day each year because of my age. But I like feeling virtuous and soaking up some vitamin D.

Pam, I used to own and operate a small independent book store. What do you sell in your store? I had lots of people who wanted to come in and talk for hours, which was fun if not profitable. I'd be pissed off at Rich too; I think you're justified. Also, I bet you'll relax some as you get used to having some time to yourself.

I love living on my own, like Glo. I was married to a wonderful man, and I just don't belong married. The way we were brought up, to be submissive...I don't know whether I could have grown out of that in the context of marriage.

This is home here on LC. I'm glad we found each other.

Meg
  #74   ^
Old Sat, May-07-11, 19:46

Plan: Concentrate on Protein
Stats: 186.5/136.6/136.0 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 99%

I think this is going to be my home too altho I like to do a journal, also. I have fibromyalgia and have had it since 1979 when I was almost 39. That's such a long time to have pain every single day. I can't take NSAID's anymore. DH has an RX for some and I take it if I'm just dying. I take 5mg prednisone every other day and that keeps me going. I also take doxepin in the liquid form and have taken it since 1985. Very few people are RX'd it and one of these days they'll take it off the market I suppose. I was on Paxil CR for about 5 years and it messed up my memory. I went off it last winter and went on Lexapro 5mg. daily. It seems to help but I just can't do what I was on when I took NSAID's. Getting this weight off would help, I'm sure.

I've lived in 15 states. In fact, I spent 18 months in Mesa in 1988 and 5 months in Prescott Valley after my husband died in 2006. I decided northern Arizona was too cold in the winter and moved back to Texas. When I got off the freeway as I was coming back to the Hill Country I started feeling like I was coming home and home it's been. I met a retired AF man in the summer of 07 but he died in summer 2009. We never married but we were neighbors. Then in Nov. 2009 I met a retired Army guy who spent time in Vietnam. We married early March 2010 and we're doing great. He's had a lot of emotional problems from marriages, Vietnam, girlfriends. We found him a good psychologist and they're doing wonders together in counseling. He's definitely a better man than when I met him (not that I'm miss perfect). I saw him as a diamond in the rough when I met him. His attitude was so good---he wanted to change and he did. There's always hope.

I have an RV that we live in and he has a smaller travel trailer that we travel in. We plan to travel west this summer and we'll leave the end of May or beginning of June.

I had 1160 calories and 60 carbs which I know is too much. I have a humongus cold and didn't want to eat like I aught to. I think the doc will give me an antibiotic Monday. So now I've told you everything I know and now I don't know anything!!!!

Happy Mother's Day. I won't hear for my kids but I have DH so I won't be myself.
  #75   ^
Old Sun, May-08-11, 07:01

BF:

Happy Mother's Day!! I've been leaving my computer at the store this weekend so, sorry I haven't been around. Didn't quit smoking and didn't stick to low carb. I've actually been sleeping-the dogs are lovin this cause I'm letting them sleep with me-as usual, they think they have to lay on me or right up against me. At one point my jealous Teddy got on my pillow and didn't even flinch when I put my head on him.

Rich tells me he's not feeling well-having shortness of breath. I'm suprised he admitted it. Gambling isn't apparently giving them the high they were expecting. My brother is down alot and Rich is "holding his own"- I finally asked what that meant and he said he's only down about $100-huh? He'll be back tomorrow night-one more night and day of peace and quiet-except for my crazy babies!!

Have a great day!!
Closed Thread