Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 09:15

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

That's where I'm coming from, Jen. I think to accept that this is normal you really have to accept the understanding that being heavy in and of itself is a disease. I don't really accept that. I weigh about what I weighed when I graduated from high school (not too many people can say that, actually). I have not been "normal weight" for my adult height since 6th grade. I work with what I've got. I know there are people suffering at my weight with all kinds of joint issues, especially if they used to be thin, but I know just as many bigger people who are out there doing their stuff. I was creamed in a ten mile race by a woman who easily had 100 pounds on me, and I weighed 230 at the time. It's a false statement to say your weight makes you incapable - everybody can adapt to better health, better mobility, lower blood sugar, etc. no matter what their weight. My husband is in the lower end of normal BMI (5'5" and 130-135 lbs) and is prediabetic despite being on a VLC diet. Is he supposed to solve his problem with major abdominal surgery?
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Wed, Mar-16-11, 15:30

Plan: exercise / atkins / IF
Stats: 315/160/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Less and less!
Progress: 94%

I love that attitude, you rock!

It wouldn't apply for everyone but I so feel this way as well.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 07:18

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

The thing that has always bothered me about Weight Loss Surgery is that it does not "correct" anything; in fact, the whole point is to make a body system work badly.

This just isn't a good idea.

The only thing that distinguishes it from jaw-wiring (remember that? Used to be every woman's magazine ran a story on it once a year) is that jaw-wiring is reversible. It used to be well-known that any stomach surgery destroys the person's appetite; part of the recovery period is getting that back. So much of the WLS cheerleading goes on in the Honeymoon Time before full recovery, such as it is, is reached. And once that happens, hunger returns with a vengeance; and now the person is even less able to cope with it.

I was an active, slender child, but in my case puberty turned me pear-shaped, and my desperate attempts to turn myself from a tall, broadshouldered, bigfooted girl into Tinkerbelle only ruined a metabolism already genetically leaning towards carb-intolerance. If WLS could correct my pancreas overreacting to incoming carbs, there might be a scientific basis behind it. But that's not what it does. It's just high-tech jaw-wiring.

I think that 99% of the time, obesity is caused, and maintained, by the staggering overload of carbohydrates that is so common in our society that we low carbers are the "strange ones." Ironically enough, many many people, after WLS, find that the only foods that their revamped digestive system can handle are the low fat, super-sugary items that are possibly the worst things you can eat. This is often pointed out by blogger Melting Mama, a WLS patient who has seizures from her surgery.

No thanks.
  #49   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 07:37

Plan: atkins/hcg
Stats: 228/162/135 Female 65
BF:
Progress: 71%

Well my sister has had the lap band and my fathers wife has had gastric bypass and both have done wonderfully and have become very active with exercise and their confidence and health has improved greatly!

On the other side of the coin here I am no surgery have gained the 40lbs I lost lc 3 years ago plus 13 more and I struggle daily with my weight and obsess what I can and can't put in my mouth - I don't think that it's a great way to live but I keep trying and keep hoping that one day my weight will be under control and stay off for good as I really don't want wl surgery but I can see where it was a good decision for some. I just know thou that my weight yo yo probably isn't the best for me either. But I will keep plugging away at it - one day it'll stick

I do envy them when we go clothes shopping of course as I still need to shop in the "special" stores and they can go anywhere.

Last edited by joylorene : Thu, Mar-17-11 at 07:43.
  #50   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 16:24
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx
Bipley you weigh 211? Charts be damned, I don't find that seriously obese at all.

No, another poster weighs 211. I weigh 135.

I could never maintain without my sleeve, I would regain without it.
  #51   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 16:39
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
Why not just change your diet and exercise and focus on real health? If you tell me that you cannot walk a mile at 221 pounds, I say that is a matter of conditioning and you need to practice. If you care more about being as thin as possible, health be damned, by all means. But no doctor can pretend that major abdominal surgery is not without some serious risks. Some people do fine, but every one I know in real life is just as fat as ever, and sicker. And it's major abdominal surgery. And what bipley is saying is that she would like to see everyone over BMI 30 be able to get this surgery paid by insurance. If I can run and dance and live a healthy life and this weight, I'll be damned if I will ever feel like my insurance pool money should be used for vanity surgery.

First of all I self paid for both my surgeries, my band and my revision to a sleeve. My insurance would have paid for my band and a bulk of my sleeve but I didn't want to jump through insurance hoops and wait 6-8 months. For my revision ins would have paid most of it but I wanted my original surgeon to do it.

Most people who have surgery do have issues such as high blood pressure, diabetes, all kinds of issues and when they lose weight it saves the ins co money because they aren't paying for all the medical costs due to obesity anymore. That is why medicaid pays for surgery, it saves them money in the end merely because it is more cost effective.

Obesity is a disease, the most effective known treatment is surgery. Yep, I think by the time we hit the 30BMI point (obese) we should be able to get treatment. Some can do it on their own, I was not one of them. I just didn't want to fight the battle anymore. And today I don't fight it.
  #52   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 16:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenx
I agree. I've lost over 100 pounds and though I'd love to lose lots more, the thought of having surgery while only being in the low-to-mid 200 lb range seems crazy to me. To ME. But I understand others do what they feel is right for them. It is just such an invasive, scary, life-altering procedure that doesn't HAVE to be.

Maybe it's not too PC to say this, but we ALL ate ourselves up to a certain weight. And we can all eat less and/or right foods (LC) to get back down. Even at weights much, much higher than 220-odd pounds. By the same token we can also be quite healthy at that weight. YMMV

But that's not true across the board that we all ate ourselves to the point of obesity. It was true in my case but it's not the case for everyone. There are plenty of people that have serious metabolic probems and the only way they are going to lose is via surgery.

My surgery isn't all that extreme, not in comparison to bypass or DS. It was life altering in the sense that I got my life back. I look at feel better than I have in 20 years. Surgery can be a very good option.

Don't you think most people that opt for surgery (and epecially self pay) did try to cut down in portions and eat better foods? If they could have done it without surgery they would have. Then you have some that can't even do well WITH surgery. They just can't stop eating poor food choices.
  #53   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 17:13
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschwab
My husband is in the lower end of normal BMI (5'5" and 130-135 lbs) and is prediabetic despite being on a VLC diet. Is he supposed to solve his problem with major abdominal surgery?

They are currently doing clinical trials where they are taking non-overweight people and doing weight loss surgery because it is the fix for diabetes.

I think we will find more and more people having these procedures. I mean, look at elementary kids today, half of them are obese. We have 10 year olds that are as big as a house and at 10 they are diabetic and have high blood pressure.

Today 1/3 of the US population is normal weight, 1/3 is overweight and 1/3 is obese. This is a big huge problem and it's only getting worse, not better. Studies show that women who get pregnant with a high BMI will likely have a child that will struggle with their weight throughout their lives. Since 2/3 of the population is overweight/obese that's a whole lotta large pregnant women out there. Yet if that same woman loses weight and then gets pregnant her child has less risk of obesity throughout their life.
  #54   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 17:27

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 202/175/150 Female 5ft3 / 63in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipley
They are currently doing clinical trials where they are taking non-overweight people and doing weight loss surgery because it is the fix for diabetes.

Sorry, but, what?

Just reading this thread is getting me fired up, so suffice to say I completely agree with WereBear, who has already said far more eloquently than I could type how I feel about this topic.
  #55   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 17:51
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
The thing that has always bothered me about Weight Loss Surgery is that it does not "correct" anything; in fact, the whole point is to make a body system work badly.

This just isn't a good idea.

The only thing that distinguishes it from jaw-wiring (remember that? Used to be every woman's magazine ran a story on it once a year) is that jaw-wiring is reversible. It used to be well-known that any stomach surgery destroys the person's appetite; part of the recovery period is getting that back. So much of the WLS cheerleading goes on in the Honeymoon Time before full recovery, such as it is, is reached. And once that happens, hunger returns with a vengeance; and now the person is even less able to cope with it.

I was an active, slender child, but in my case puberty turned me pear-shaped, and my desperate attempts to turn myself from a tall, broadshouldered, bigfooted girl into Tinkerbelle only ruined a metabolism already genetically leaning towards carb-intolerance. If WLS could correct my pancreas overreacting to incoming carbs, there might be a scientific basis behind it. But that's not what it does. It's just high-tech jaw-wiring.

I think that 99% of the time, obesity is caused, and maintained, by the staggering overload of carbohydrates that is so common in our society that we low carbers are the "strange ones." Ironically enough, many many people, after WLS, find that the only foods that their revamped digestive system can handle are the low fat, super-sugary items that are possibly the worst things you can eat. This is often pointed out by blogger Melting Mama, a WLS patient who has seizures from her surgery.

No thanks.

You can't really assume all surgery types do as you claim. I am not a fan of bypass (the surgery type Beth/Melting Mama has) because with that surgery there are huge risks. Reative hypoglycemia, seizures, dumping, the works. The reason many bypass folks fail is because the stoma, or the hole where food passes from the stomach to the intestine dilates. Then there is nothing keeping food in the stomach and the person IS hungry.

But that isn't true of all surgery types. You really can't lump them all in there and diss 'em all and assume each one will have issues.

How do you figure that a sleeve makes my body work badly?

Bypass most certainly is reversible, you can remove a lap band, sleeves and DS are not reversible. But I don't want reversible, I want forever and that is what I have.

Our population tends to have 3x more hunger causing hormone - Ghrelin, than naturally thin people. Sleeves remove the excess Ghrelin. I've been at goal for over three years now and absolutely nothing that you have written applies to me in the least or most of us for that matter. You are taking all the worst effects of bypass and assuming we all experience these issues and it's simply not accurate.

DS actually corrects hormonal issues that lead to obesity, it doesn't make the body work badly.

I do agree with you about overloading with carbs. But that isn't really the fault of many people. There was a person posting that finally had WLS and she was putting together the info for her ins company and she ran accross years worth of nutritionists advice and the first one she went to was in the 70s. She still had the paperwork. She was told to eat all the bread, pasta, potatoes that she wanted but no fat, none. In the AMs she was told eat a bagel but no butter or cream chz. Carbs were fine, fat was the enemy. So now 100# bigger she finally had surgery.

Look at how many times they have changed the food pyramid. This is why I am not a fan of malabsorption because there is just so much about nutrition we do not know yet.

All in all I do have to say that you really are misinformed about various WLS types. They are not high tech jaw wiring.
  #56   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 17:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sondora88
Sorry, but, what?

Just reading this thread is getting me fired up, so suffice to say I completely agree with WereBear, who has already said far more eloquently than I could type how I feel about this topic.

If their diabetes is out of control and insulin isn't doing the job anymore they need some treatment and DS has something like a 97 or 98% 'cure' rate. I would assume in a normal size person they wouldn't bypass as much intestine.
  #57   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 19:27
Round 2

Plan: RNY & LowCarb
Stats: 270/180/160 Female 5'10
BF:sz 24/sz16/sz8
Progress: 82%

Parts of previous posts remind me of thin people telling fat people "you just need to cut your calories and exercise more." Really?!
  #58   ^
Old Thu, Mar-17-11, 19:58
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggerz
Parts of previous posts remind me of thin people telling fat people "you just need to cut your calories and exercise more." Really?!

Agreed.

I spent around 20 grand, who knew just cutting calories could do it! HA!

If it is so doable why isn't every person posting at goal?
  #59   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-11, 19:34

Plan: EF/Fung IDM/keto
Stats: 375/225.4/175 Female 66.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 75%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bipley
If their diabetes is out of control and insulin isn't doing the job anymore they need some treatment and DS has something like a 97 or 98% 'cure' rate. I would assume in a normal size person they wouldn't bypass as much intestine.
Whenever I see this about a diabetes "cure", though, it makes me think of Jenny's Diabetes Blog:
http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/...ic-bypasss.html
Quote:
You have probably heard a lot by now about how gastric bypass surgery can cure diabetes. Quite a few of my correspondents who are significantly overweight report being pressured by their doctors to sign up for weight loss surgery (WLS). Some family doctors are going so far as to refuse to prescribe less invasive treatments for high blood sugars in favor of insisting their patients have WLS.

Given this bias, it's worth looking closely at two new studies presented at the recent Annual Meeting of the American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery.

First off, you need to understand that this convention is not an objective scientific gathering. It's the annual trade group meeting of the surgeons who profit--to the tune of $20,000 or more per surgery--from doing WLS....

The mission of this WLS trade group is simple: to promote WLS and to provide "research" that will motivate insurers and Medicare to pay for ever more surgeries.

With that in mind, let's look at the studies presented at this latest conference because they are being reported in publications targeting endocrinologists and family doctors as showing that "Data confirms long-term effects of bariatric surgery on Type 2 diabetes."

Dr. Ren's study gathered preoperative data on 95 patients (mean age, 49.3) who underwent laparoscopic adjustable gastric banding between 2002 and 2004. Five-year follow-up data were collected beginning in 2008.

She states, "At the five-year follow-up, mean BMI decreased from 46.3 to 35.0 — a mean value of 48.3% excess weight-loss."

As Dr. Ren explained it, “There was a sustained benefit — about 40% of patients had complete remission in their diabetes"

Complete remission sounds wonderful doesn't it? But what does "remission" really mean? Well, it turns out to mean this: "Mean fasting glucose decreased from 146 mg/dL preoperatively to 118.5 mg/dL at five years; mean HbA1c decreased from 7.53% to 6.58% (P<.001). "

I don't know about you, but I can get much better numbers than that without having my stomach permanently altered. I did it for seven years only by cutting way down on carbohydrates. Hundreds of my readers do this too.

But I would not consider a fasting blood sugar of 118.5 mg/dl (6.6 mmol/L) "complete remission." Nor would I consider an A1c of 6.58% nondiabetic....

A second study presented at the WLS trade show looked at long term outcomes of the even more dangerous Roux-en-Y gastric bypass surgery, where a large portion of the stomach is permanent amputated. Its findings also make it clear that the diabetes "cure" through WLS is completely illusory.

This study reports,
Complete resolution was achieved in 157 patients who also had a decrease in mean BMI from 50.2 before surgery to 31.3 after surgery. Forty-three percent of these patients subsequently had type 2 diabetes recurrence and associated weight gain [emphasis mine].
The chief researcher in this study is quoted as saying, "“When looking at the insulin-controlled diabetic patients, 80% had resolution at some point, but recurred in 72%."

So let's get this straight. Amputating a large part of people's stomach resulted in a transient resolution" of diabetes, that did not last for almost half of them. Only 8% of those who were already diabetic enough to need insulin ended up better off than before they had the surgery.

How much more modest this data is than the results that were all over the media from other studies that claimed diabetes immediately went away in people who had WLS, "Like magic" and did not mention that this finding was based on blood sugar results a few weeks after surgery when the patients were not able to eat any carbs!

If we define "remissions" as dropping FBG or A1c just below Diagnostic Criteria for diabetes, a moderately low carb diet will achieve a higher rate of "remission" with the same or better long term statistics. And it will do so without risking the patients' life or condemning them to life-long nutritional problems.

The drug, Byetta, has been found to achieve similar weight loss and blood sugar improvements in about 1/3 of those who take it, without risking life or malnutrition either.

What leaves me gasping with shock is this: the death rate of these surgeries runs quite high. You can read about the latest metastudy that came up with the statistics, HERE.

No oral drug could ever be approved or sold to the public that killed 13 out of every thousand people who took it. But surgeries are not regulated. So surgeons have been performing WLS for decades even when they knew the death rate from this surgery was as high as 3 in every hundred...

But even those who do not die of the surgery--and some of those whose diabetes "goes into remission" are at high risk of serious nutrition deficiencies after WLS. This is because altering the stomach often destroys the ability to absorb important minerals. This nutritional deficiency syndrome is so severe that a recent Mayo Clinic study found that people who have had WLS have twice the risk of fractures as the normal population. (Read about that study HERE.)

Many people who have had the surgery must go to the hospital periodically for intravenous mineral supplementation without which they can die....
  #60   ^
Old Fri, Mar-18-11, 20:17

Plan: Atkins72/Paleo/NoGrain/IF
Stats: 285/220/200 Female 5 feet 5.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 76%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggerz

I hope you did not take that from my post as it was not my intention. My intention was to say that eating well and moving your body are keys to health - at any weight! Some folks are just never going to be thin, but it is still possible to have a healthy, exciting life. I would have to diet to the weight I was when I was 12 to be "normal-sized". I don't have alot of hope for that but I don't let it stop me from eating well or taking care of my body and I wish the same for others, and more, if it helps them shed pounds, too. Even if getting up from a chair is a serious struggle, anyone can become more capable and stronger, whatever their weight, by practicing and with encouragement. Anyone can identify foods that make them feel like hell and work on eating healing foods.