Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 17:20
Registered Member

Plan: My own version of Atkins
Stats: 252/135/150 Female 65 Inches
BF:
Progress: 115%
Default Weight Loss Surgery? Anyone?

Has anyone here had weight loss surgery?

If so, what kind of surgery did you have?

TIA
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:05

Plan: My own
Stats: 397/340/170 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

I just joined the boards, but I've thought about weight loss surgery. I've dealt with my weight my whole life. I've been doing well with low carb, but still have issues with binge eating on the wrong foods. Seems like I do good during the week, but when the weekend comes, I just wanna reward myself & eat everything. Did you have surgery?
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:06

Plan: Low carb, high protein
Stats: 225/200.8/160 Female 64
BF:48.5
Progress: 37%

I actually had the vertical sleeve done in November. I had failed so many times and was not successful on my own. My doctor recommended this for me and I am so glad he did. I don't regret doing it at all.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:07

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 580/305/275 Male 6' 2"
BF:
Progress:
Talking Yes!!

I had a VSG like you.......this is the best thing I have ever done for myself! I have been able to lose weight before, (atkins, sugar busters etc) but I have never lost as much, and i would have gone back to old habits long before now! I had my surgery 16 months ago, and I have lost 275 lbs! It was life changing for me!! No more...... diabetes (I was on 250u of insulin a day!),,and 2 oral meds, hypertension, (before VSG, 155/90 W meds, now 120 over 60 no meds) cholesterol 180-200, now 117 ( I eat eggs and cheese and meat daily!) I was walking with a cane, (now I walk 3-4 miles a day no cane!) This was LIFE CHANGING for someone my size...... I'm a different person in every way, not just my physical appearance! The cool bonus is I still do a modified atkins style diet low carb high protein.(just smaller portions) My VSG (Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy) Kicks A**!!
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:12

Plan: My own
Stats: 397/340/170 Male 68
BF:
Progress: 25%

Is the v.s.g. the same as the gastric bypass? I've never heard of it.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:13

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 332/289/170 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 27%

Ive been thinking about the VGS (still have to submit insurance and whatnot). The last time I have edited my stats on here was in 05', it said my highest weight was 332, now Im currently 349, I did enjoy lowcarb, but I would always lose about 40 pounds, then just end up gaining it back.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:18

Plan: Low carb, high protein
Stats: 225/200.8/160 Female 64
BF:48.5
Progress: 37%

Quote:
Originally Posted by A5hley
Ive been thinking about the VGS (still have to submit insurance and whatnot). The last time I have edited my stats on here was in 05', it said my highest weight was 332, now Im currently 349, I did enjoy lowcarb, but I would always lose about 40 pounds, then just end up gaining it back.

That is exactly what happened with me. I did really well with low carb, but I gained it all back and then some. I am doing low carb/high protein and since I got my sleeve on 11/29, I have lost 20 pounds. I have more energy, I am calmer since I don't have to stress and fret over every bite I take. It was really a blessing for me.
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:25

Stats: 332/289/170 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 27%
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponya
That is exactly what happened with me. I did really well with low carb, but I gained it all back and then some. I am doing low carb/high protein and since I got my sleeve on 11/29, I have lost 20 pounds. I have more energy, I am calmer since I don't have to stress and fret over every bite I take. It was really a blessing for me.

Congrats! Thats awesome, Im gald the VSG has been working well for you, I found out about it over at Obesityhelp.org, theres alot of people over there who have had great success with it.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:31

Stats: 299/237/175 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Vsg

Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaBLean

The VSG is not like the Gastric Bypass - The VSG is restrictive only - your stomach is cut into the shape of a long banana - no intestines are bypassed. I had LapBand in 2005 that failed in late 2010 - revised to VSG (Gastric Sleeve) on 9/7/10.

I need low carb to keep the cravings away but surgery helps me keep my portions in check - its been a good thing for me.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:32

Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Gastric Bypass 3/2003, starting weight 286, todays weight 153. My advise, never stop doing LC as in my case, ou can gain by stretching your stomach if you are not careful. When I was told that my gastric was a just a tool they meant it!
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 18:34

Plan: low-carb/high-fat
Stats: 324/184/150 Female 5.5 feet
BF:
Progress: 80%

I had a modified Duodenal Switch (DS) at the end of March 2009.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Jan-10-11, 19:15

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 20/08/00 Female 5'10"
BF:not/low/enough
Progress: 60%

I had VSG in November as well. I still eat low carb, just have awesome restriction now so I am not able to eat a whole steak, just a few ounces a meal.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 09:55

Plan: Atkins/General LC
Stats: 352/320/150 Female 5ft 7in
BF:Yikes!
Progress: 16%

I had Lapband surgery in April 2009. I haven't had my band filled at all so, I have no restriction. To be honest I was too scared to get food "stuck". I guess it was pretty silly to go through all of that and never have the band filled...*shrug* I guess it's there if I need it. LOL
With LC I've managed to lose the weight (well a lot of the weight) on my own. I do attribute the first 20lbs of weightloss to Lap Band surgery as I had to go on an awful liquid diet for a week prior.
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 11:50
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
I just joined the boards, but I've thought about weight loss surgery. I've dealt with my weight my whole life. I've been doing well with low carb, but still have issues with binge eating on the wrong foods. Seems like I do good during the week, but when the weekend comes, I just wanna reward myself & eat everything. Did you have surgery?

Yes, I did. First I had a lap band (baaad choice) and then I revised to a sleeve (good choice). It's the only way I can manage my weight. I just don't do well with diets, I can't stick with them. Call it a lack of self control, a lack of will power, whatever. I'll cop to it. I can't do diets. But I did do WLS well.
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Jan-11-11, 11:53
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:

Nonono.... not even close. The sleeve (VSG) is the safest surgery long term. Bypass has a lot of regain, complications, it's just not great.

Maybe this will help:

Weight Loss Surgery Types