Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 13:47

Plan: Generic low carb
Stats: 212/167/135 Female 66.75
BF:
Progress: 58%

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Levac
Actually, you have no basis for saying "it has been pointed out several times". As far as I can see, it hasn't been pointed out even once. There's the calcium balance that can be attributed to the reduction of existing atherosclerosis, the lipemia can be attributed to hypothyroidism, but aside from that, that's it.

But you are entitled to your beliefs and who am I to disagree with them.

Listen, the posturing will get you nowhere. It's better to try to figure this out like Ubizmo did. He still has a ways to go to show that an all-meat diet can make somebody sick in any way. But the way he addressed the problem advanced the discussion. What did you do?

Well, since you prefer Ubizmo, I'll leave you with his words...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ubizmo
HappyLC has already pointed out the absurdity of claiming that a one-year experiment can prove anything about outcomes in the indefinite future.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 13:51

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyLC
Well, since you prefer Ubizmo, I'll leave you with his words...

LOL! You're quoting somebody who's quoting you!
  #48   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 13:55

BF:

Quote:
LOL! You're quoting somebody who's quoting you!

He's not quoting me, he's reminding you of what I previously "pointed out"...which you claim never happened. (And he's a smart guy who agrees with me. )
  #49   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 14:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathmaniac
I thought the Biosphere 2 project was pretty much lots of vegetables and very little meat. I'm wondering how that applies to this discussion.

The blog author tries to show that the Inuit ate plant matter for the purpose of nourishment. The Biosphere 2 project is presented as evidence against her proposition. Let's look at her arguments more closely to see if she succeeds even a little.
Quote:
The main plant foods are:

1. Greens in seal oil
2. Cooked and pickled leaves
3. Raw and fermented leaves
4. Berries
5. Tiny roots
6. Tea and medicinal plants

Right away, we see that there's very little to support her starting claim.
Quote:
In fact, it seems Inuit women (and sometimes men) go to a great deal of trouble collecting seemingly trivial tiny plant foods even when ample fat is available. I suspect that many of the plants they eat are very powerful nutritionally.

As I pointed out, we go to great lengths to acquire plant matter for the purpose of pleasure amongst other things. Maybe the Inuit women did the same thing here with those "seemingly trivial tiny plants".
Quote:
Some interesting ones include Sura (Salix pulchra), which is preserved in seal oil after picking, and contains 7-10 times the vitamin C of oranges!

We can see here that one orange contains 95mg of vitamin C. This would mean that the stuff she talks about contains at least 650mg of vitamin C. We don't need so much vitamin C every day. But maybe vitamin C is therapeutic at in such large quantities.
Quote:
Anore found that Inuit used lacto-fermentation to store some greens in the winter. Sourdock (Rumex arcticus), for example, is fermented in an underground sod house stored in sealskin pokes. A recipe is provided in case you have those ingredients on hand The Inuit warn you to turn it every few days to keep the bottom from rotting and occasionally untie it to let gases out.

We ferment grains to produce beer. Hardly for the purpose of nourishment. Granted, traditional populations ferment all kinds of stuff then eat that stuff. Maybe it's not all clear why they eat that stuff.
Quote:
Berries were often made into a dessert called Akutuq.

Desert is not for the purpose of nourishment.
Quote:
Another popular treat is Ittukpalak, which is made with roe and berries.

Treats are not for the purpose of nourishment.
Quote:
As for roots, they have a rather ingenious method of gathering known as Masrunniaq. They look for mouse diggings and dig up their nests. Sometimes they hit the jackpot and find a cache of tiny sweet roots known as masru.

Deserts and treats are usually sweet. Maybe they gathered those tiny sweet roots for the same reason.
Quote:
Some roots are poisonous and it can be hard to distinguish these from the sweet roots. Don't try this at home. Inupiat say "eat masru with oil, or else you may become constipated."

And I say, "don't eat the roots at all, and you won't be constipated ever". The point is, why even eat the stuff in the first place?
Quote:
Another method of stealing from animals includes the consumption of nigukkaun, which is caribou stomach, put in a warm place for 1-2 days or longer to ferment. Humans can't eat lichens, but the enzymes in the caribou stomach break them down and once fermented they can be eaten by us.

Again with the fermentation but look at this little hint of opposition: "Humans can't eat lichens". Alright, I'll bite. Why can't humans eat lichens?
Quote:
Another dish is Inaluaq, which is a particular part of the ptarigan intestines. She suggests "warm the green, pasty material inside but don't actually cook it." mmm.

Am I the only repulsed at the thought of eating partially digested stuff? Maybe the running gag has gone too far.
Quote:
Like in Sweden, medicinal teas are made from spruce and juniper. Unlike in Sweden, Inuit never eat fungi except as part of caribou stomach.

OK, so no fungus or teas except if it's contained within animal flesh, or if it's for the purpose of medicine.

Is it just me, or is there nothing in there that is even remotely close to an argument in favor of plants-as-food, i.e. for the purpose of nourishment?
  #50   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 14:29

BF:

Quote:
He's not quoting me, he's reminding you of what I previously "pointed out"...which you claim never happened. (And he's a smart guy who agrees with me. )

And I'm reminding you that you didn't point out anything. You just talked about hypothetical fears and stuff. I like how you tried to use a vegan vitamin B12 deficiency, which is caused by the lack of animal flesh in the diet, as an example of a potential deficiency that an all-meat diet could cause. Well, at least, an all-meat diet won't cause a vitamin B12 deficiency, will it.
  #51   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 15:16

BF:

Quote:
And I'm reminding you that you didn't point out anything. You just talked about hypothetical fears and stuff. I like how you tried to use a vegan vitamin B12 deficiency, which is caused by the lack of animal flesh in the diet, as an example of a potential deficiency that an all-meat diet could cause. Well, at least, an all-meat diet won't cause a vitamin B12 deficiency, will it.

You made the claim, it's up to you to substantiate it. That's the way it works. You haven't come close to doing that yet. Telling other people to prove you're wrong doesn't cut it.

My vegan B-12 example shows that there are problems that don't arise until after one year. Your claim that the Bellevue experiment was long enough simply because no deficiencies appeared is ridiculous. A one year vegan trial would also not uncover any deficiencies. And your assertion that there are no healthy, thriving vegans is simply absurd. If you don't personally know any, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

We're going 'round and 'round because you still refuse to provide any other basis for your claims than your blind faith.
  #52   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 15:27

BF:

Quote:
You made the claim, it's up to you to substantiate it. That's the way it works. You haven't come close to doing that yet. Telling other people to prove you're wrong doesn't cut it.

My vegan B-12 example shows that there are problems that don't arise until after one year. Your claim that the Bellevue experiment was long enough simply because no deficiencies appeared is ridiculous. A one year vegan trial would also not uncover any deficiencies. And your assertion that there are no healthy, thriving vegans is simply absurd. If you don't personally know any, that doesn't mean they don't exist.

We're going 'round and 'round because you still refuse to provide any other basis for your claims than your blind faith.

You disagreed, it's your job now to support your disagreement. As far as I can see, you didn't do that. We can go like this all day, if you want.

But isn't it ironic that you would use vitamin B12 as an example, when it's obvious that this particular example can't apply to an all-meat diet. It'd make a stronger point if you used an example that could apply to an all-meat diet. What about calcium status, that would work? It's not yet shown that an all-meat diet is what caused this calcium status, or that it would go on until a calcium deficiency would develop.

See, the blog author is trying very hard to show that the Inuit ate plants for food. or at least, that the plants they ate provided some nourishment. Why don't you try to show how those plants she mentioned could provide the missing calcium of an all-meat diet? Bear in mind, it's not all to show that the plants could provide it, we must also show that the calcium contained therein is absorbed and metabolized, i.e. the negative calcium status of the Bellevue experiment is reversed by the ingestion of said plants. Now considering that osteoporosis is a rampant disease in our civilization, and considering that we supplement with a boatload of calcium, I doubt that adding any amount of calcium in any form will have any effect on calcium status. No, I think that the problem with calcium is not directly related to calcium but to something else, like vitamin D for example.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=420443
  #53   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 15:50

Plan: Atkins (loosely)
Stats: -/-/- Female 60
BF:
Progress: 40%

To counter your argument about thriving vegans, I can personally attest to reading about the personal experience of 4 different vegans who reported feeling much better after switching to a vegan diet. Interestingly enough, If you had asked them at the end of year one if they could maintain perfect health indefinitely on an all-vegetable diet, they would have said categorically said yes. However years later they were forced, very reluctantly, to drop the vegan diet due to health issues which were immediately corrected when they resumed eating meat.

Quote:
You disagreed, it's your job now to support your disagreement. As far as I can see, you didn't do that. We can go like this all day, if you want.

Quote:
Argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam or appeal to ignorance, is an informal logical fallacy. It asserts that a proposition is necessarily true because it has not been proven false (or vice versa). This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option: there is insufficient investigation and the proposition has not yet been proven to be either true or false.[1] In debates, appeals to ignorance are sometimes used to shift the burden of proof.

Carl Sagan famously criticized the practice by referring to it as "impatience with ambiguity", pointing out that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

Your assertion is that one year is enough to prove that perfect health can be attained on a diet. Our assertion is that we have proof that is not correct.

Last edited by Angeline : Tue, Dec-14-10 at 16:01.
  #54   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 16:18
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Oh Martin, your arguments are so ridiculous I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. But you do give me a good laugh.
  #55   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 16:35
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Also, lets not forget that Martin has publicly admitted to eating one meal per week at his mother's....where he consumes plants....and wine!!
So ....he is not even zero carb himself.

ducking and running away now
  #56   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 16:39

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angeline
To counter your argument about thriving vegans, I can personally attest to reading about the personal experience of 4 different vegans who reported feeling much better after switching to a vegan diet. Interestingly enough, If you had asked them at the end of year one if they could maintain perfect health indefinitely on an all-vegetable diet, they would have said categorically said yes. However years later they were forced, very reluctantly, to drop the vegan diet due to health issues which were immediately corrected when they resumed eating meat.

Your assertion is that one year is enough to prove that perfect health can be attained on a diet. Our assertion is that we have proof that is not correct.

Correction, we have proof that a vegan diet is deficient. The evidence we have on an all-meat diet says there is no indication that anything will go wrong. Furthermore, the deficiencies that will develop on a vegan diet are due to a lack of animal flesh. An all-meat diet is, eum, full of animal flesh. The example of deficiency of a vegan diet can't be extrapolated to an all-meat diet for this reason. All other evidence of deficiencies in any other diet can probably be traced back to the same lack of animal flesh and the essential nutrients it contains, and/or the existence of certain agents that we know cause deficiencies like refined carbs and such.
  #57   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 16:41

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
Also, lets not forget that Martin has publicly admitted to eating one meal per week at his mother's....where he consumes plants....and wine!!
So ....he is not even zero carb himself.

ducking and running away now

Strange, I thought I hadn't used my personal experience in this discussion just yet. Was that a preemptive strike on your part then?
  #58   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 16:56

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosebud
Oh Martin, your arguments are so ridiculous I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. But you do give me a good laugh.

Well, I'm glad one of us is having fun. Just kidding, I'm having a blast pointing out the glaring errors in everybody else's arguments. It's food because we eat it?!? It's food because it contains a boatload of a nutrient that we don't need so much of?!? It's food because it gives us pleasure?!? It's food because we use it as medicine?!? Come on.
  #59   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 17:17

BF:

I don't want anybody to be left out. So let's have some fun. Define food! Which of these defines food?

1. cake, pie, fruit, pudding, ice cream, etc., served as the final course of a meal.

2. any nourishing substance that is eaten, drunk, or otherwise taken into the body to sustain life, provide energy, promote growth, etc.

3. any substance or substances used in treating disease or illness; medicament; remedy.

4. any article, other than food, intended to affect the structure or any function of the body of humans or other animals.

5. a habit-forming medicinal or illicit substance, esp. a narcotic.

6. to take into the mouth and swallow for nourishment; chew and swallow (food).

If a thing contains some essential nutrient, is it food? If not, why not? If yes, then can this single food item be eaten exclusively indefinitely with no ill effect?
  #60   ^
Old Tue, Dec-14-10, 17:19

BF:

Quote:

Quote:
Argument from ignorance, also known as argumentum ad ignorantiam or appeal to ignorance, is an informal logical fallacy. It asserts that a proposition is necessarily true because it has not been proven false (or vice versa). This represents a type of false dichotomy in that it excludes a third option: there is insufficient investigation and the proposition has not yet been proven to be either true or false.[1] In debates, appeals to ignorance are sometimes used to shift the burden of proof.

Carl Sagan famously criticized the practice by referring to it as "impatience with ambiguity", pointing out that "absence of evidence is not evidence of absence".

Thank you, Angeline.